Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Blaine Gabbert take the next step?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Are people really trying to say Gabbert is similar to Eli and using a stat sheet as proof???............... Oh lord this thread just gets better and better.

What's so wrong with comparing Gabberts and Mannings rookie year?

Credit to IPwn for da sig
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Are people really trying to say Gabbert is similar to Eli and using a stat sheet as proof???............... Oh lord this thread just gets better and better.

What's so wrong with comparing Gabberts and Mannings rookie year?

"Using a stat sheet as proof" <--- you forgot that part. It's critical. Not only that, the physical talent they possess and potential they have cannot be measured in a stat sheet. Football isn't nearly as black and white as some people want to think it is. Stats aren't the best way to attempt to represent a player... not at all.

PM sig requests.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically Eli had potential then. Sure he had some bad games but also some good ones. He looked like he possessed all traits needed to be at least an average NFL QB. Gabbert looks like the skills he possesses might make him an average NFL QB at best. Dude never showed anything to warrant a first round pick. It was a terrible QB class and he took advantage of it. Had he been in this year's draft, he would've been a 3rd round pick.

PM sig requests.
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone back and watched every game Gabbert played this year and if you think he didn't show anything then there's no point discussing this. You clearly didn't see him enough. He showed me plenty of flashes throughout the year. He had drives this year where he looked like a franchise qb. There were also times he looked awful but, people really don't understand how terrible our coaching staff was.

Mularkey basically said the previous coaching staff taught him all wrong so, he is working on his fundamentals now. Expect a completely different qb next year.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:
I've gone back and watched every game Gabbert played this year and if you think he didn't show anything then there's no point discussing this. You clearly didn't see him enough. He showed me plenty of flashes throughout the year. He had drives this year where he looked like a franchise qb. There were also times he looked awful but, people really don't understand how terrible our coaching staff was.

Mularkey basically said the previous coaching staff taught him all wrong so, he is working on his fundamentals now. Expect a completely different qb next year.

Your assuming change will be good for Gabbert. It didnt work out so well for Alex Smith all those years did it Wink
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Bad meets Evil wrote:

Your assuming change will be good for Gabbert. It didnt work out so well for Alex Smith all those years did it Wink

I feel pretty safe assuming change is good considering his previous qb coach was a wr coach the 4 years prior to joining the jags. He moved to Wr coach towards the end of the year.

ukdolfan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a (select) few QBs who sucked early managed to turn it around doesn't mean Gabbert will too.

The vast majority of young QBs who suck early keep on sucking.

^ Jamison on the sig.
Mr. V

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Basically Eli had potential then. Sure he had some bad games but also some good ones. He looked like he possessed all traits needed to be at least an average NFL QB. Gabbert looks like the skills he possesses might make him an average NFL QB at best. Dude never showed anything to warrant a first round pick. It was a terrible QB class and he took advantage of it. Had he been in this year's draft, he would've been a 3rd round pick.

Gabbert went as high as he did on potential essentially.

If you didn't see any flashes when watching him, you didn't watch him.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:

You also seem to show a little bias.... just saying. That must be taken into consideration when you post on this manner. I didn't see much at all from Gabbert. Maybe about a dozen throws if that.

PM sig requests.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. V wrote:
If you didn't see any flashes when watching him, you didn't watch him.

LOL, sure thing. Never saw him once..........

He showed nothing that warrants consideration.

PM sig requests.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean. I can understand thinking Gabbert won't turn it around. But to say he NEVER showed ANYTHING and that his potential isn't enormous just makes me take your arguments less seriously, to be honest.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
I mean. I can understand thinking Gabbert won't turn it around. But to say he NEVER showed ANYTHING and that his potential isn't enormous just makes me take your arguments less seriously, to be honest.

As one of those who said "NEVER/ANYTHING" I'll clarify. I saw moments, but they were few and far between. There was never any sort of continuation of it, never any building up on those moments. He'd have a good drive, followed up by a bad drive, followed up by a worse drive, followed up by an OK drive, followed up by another bad drive...

The moments were there, but they were spaced out. That worries me in terms of evaluating his next steps. Usually, when someone does progress...it's exactly that: A progression. Continual building on successful moments, not a one step forward, two steps backwards, a step forward, three steps backward like maneuver that Gabbert did.

That's my take on it, at least. From what iPwn said, it looks as if there is a deep dive on the guy and what didn't work for him, and a concentrated effort to correct that. That is a start.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:

As one of those who said "NEVER/ANYTHING" I'll clarify. I saw moments, but they were few and far between. There was never any sort of continuation of it, never any building up on those moments. He'd have a good drive, followed up by a bad drive, followed up by a worse drive, followed up by an OK drive, followed up by another bad drive...

The moments were there, but they were spaced out. That worries me in terms of evaluating his next steps. Usually, when someone does progress...it's exactly that: A progression. Continual building on successful moments, not a one step forward, two steps backwards, a step forward, three steps backward like maneuver that Gabbert did.

That's my take on it, at least. From what iPwn said, it looks as if there is a deep dive on the guy and what didn't work for him, and a concentrated effort to correct that. That is a start.

Excellent assessment. People take words to extreme levels of literalness when it comes to certain subject (ie one of their teams players).

PM sig requests.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or when someone says they NEVER saw any flashes and think they have NO potential, I take it as them meaning that?

ET, I'm not sure why you're shocked that a rookie would be inconsistent, especially given the circumstances.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:

No, not at all. Someone else brought up how Gabbert had a few terrible stat-sheet games, so I posted some terrible rookie numbers of Eli. We didnt start that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: