Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Blaine Gabbert take the next step?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McMorrow_922

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
ajdodge09 wrote:

Every QB looks like that when they are about to get hit
No contact, his eyes are closed and he's about to throw the football, I assure you, not every QB looks like that.

It's funny that you pick one where Brady seems to be moving away, shielding the ball, clearly not about to throw.

regardless his eyes are closed when hes about to get hit. Quite common when big NFL defenders are charging full speed.

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
sadjag

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every person in the world will close their eyes when someone goes to hit them in the face / tackle them. It's an involuntary response, evolution saw fit too make it that way because in general the eyeball does not react well too excessive physical force.

Personally I think it's much more likely chad henne is our starting QB come game 8 than that Gabbert has a decent career. But it wont have anything to do with closing his eyes while defenders have hands in his face, cause here's the thing folks thats why defenders do it they know it'll make the QB close his eyes.

BOLD PREDICTION!!!: the jaguars with their next first round pick select the only Quarterback in America with no eyelids.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm optimistic that Gabbert will make some big positive strides this year. He obviously has a lot to work on with his mechanics and pocket presence, but last year he was in an absolutely brutal situation.

I'm still not completely sold on this talk of him having the perfect surrounding cast to succeed right now. The O-Line is still a bit like a game of Russian roulette...one unlucky injury and the pass protection is toast. The receiving corps is certainly improved...but Robinson is far from a sure thing #2WR. Lots of upside there, but no guarantees that he's the real deal. Blackmon is obviously a very good prospect, but as others have mentioned, i don't think he's necessarily the same sort of immediate impact freak prospect like an AJ Green last year. Lewis is...who knows. Hopefully Thomas gets back on track in a more appropriate role and position. So there's a potentially decent group there...But as a whole, i'm not sure it's as good as some are suggesting, or at least...the improvement there is far from as certain as many seem to be suggesting.

However...i think that the biggest part of this whole thing, is the coaching changes. Last year was a trainwreck. What Del Rio and Koetter were trying to accomplish, made zero sense. It was square peg - round hole from the get go, and didn't really improve. It felt entirely like they were trying to plug Gabbert directly into an offense designed for David Garrard. Garrard was a guy who had a lot of limitations as a passer, but one of his best attributes was his ability to dink and dunk down the field making the best of a pocket that looked like rush hour in the wrong lane. In so many ways, a completely opposite skillset to what Gabbert offers. Combine that with the wonky lockout schedule, inept QB coaching, poor WR play, and times where the pressure was absolutely real and not just 'all in his head', and it was not surprisingly, a disaster. He shouldn't have been starting, but things went very wrong and it happened. But a new coaching staff with a new system designed to work with Gabbert's strengths and weaknesses, and those of his supporting cast, has the potential to be a massively more important factor than the swapping out of a few WRs here and there.

So there is reason for optimism, and i'm certainly hoping we see huge improvement in Gabbert this year. But at the same time, i cannot say i'm without concern, regarding both the 'new and improved' surrounding cast, and Gabbert himself.
SickofMediocre

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Smith 2.0 . You can't cure crappy mechanics

Year 8 is the year, I always say!
LTF

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly feel bad for Jags fans.

I'll just say that if Gabbert has a good season this year that it will be based on absolutely nothing he showed his rookie season. There is not one attribute, ability, or anything else you want to refer to that he showed in his overall play this past season that suggests he will be a good NFL QB going forward. I look at a guy like him and see so many holes and flaws that I can't imagine it ever coming together for him.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SickofMediocre wrote:

Trust me, it didn't get much worse than Newton's footwork in the preseason yet he seemed to be doing just fine for himself by midseason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDsLx_YCnE&t=0m48s

It does depend on the quarterback himself for the most part. If they are naturally calm/relaxed, how hard they are willing to work to improve on it and become more consistent at it, etc. You also need an offensive coordinator, quarterback coach, and a solid interior offensive line (for stepping up in the pocket) to help you develop if you do have major issues with your mechanics. Thankfully, Newton had all three.

With that said, there is a big difference between Cam and Gabbert. Even when pressure was in his face, Cam didn't seem to be rattled and was willing to fire darts and stand tall in the pocket even if his feet weren't set as seen in that video. Gabbert's issues don't seem to be footwork as much as it is he just doesn't seem to be comfortable standing tall in the pocket. I'm not sure if he ever will seeing as it was a huge problem in college as well and the main reason I really hoped that pre-draft rumors of us looking at him at our #1 overall pick were false.

I think the Mularkey signing might be best for Gabbert as I think the offense has the players to be similar to what Atlanta was doing for Ryan in '08 assuming Blackmon pans out or Robinson proves '11 wasn't a fluke. Only downfall is that the offense Mularkey runs is very boring to watch. Nothing was worse than watching Atlanta consistently take over half a quarter to just drive down the field and score.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
SickofMediocre wrote:

Trust me, it didn't get much worse than Newton's footwork in the preseason yet he seemed to be doing just fine for himself by midseason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiDsLx_YCnE&t=0m48s

It does depend on the quarterback himself for the most part. If they are naturally calm/relaxed, how hard they are willing to work to improve on it and become more consistent at it, etc. You also need an offensive coordinator, quarterback coach, and a solid interior offensive line (for stepping up in the pocket) to help you develop if you do have major issues with your mechanics. Thankfully, Newton had all three.

With that said, there is a big difference between Cam and Gabbert. Even when pressure was in his face, Cam didn't seem to be rattled and was willing to fire darts and stand tall in the pocket even if his feet weren't set as seen in that video. Gabbert's issues don't seem to be footwork as much as it is he just doesn't seem to be comfortable standing tall in the pocket. I'm not sure if he ever will seeing as it was a huge problem in college as well and the main reason I really hoped that pre-draft rumors of us looking at him at our #1 overall pick were false.

I think the Mularkey signing might be best for Gabbert as I think the offense has the players to be similar to what Atlanta was doing for Ryan in '08 assuming Blackmon pans out or Robinson proves '11 wasn't a fluke. Only downfall is that the offense Mularkey runs is very boring to watch. Nothing was worse than watching Atlanta consistently take over half a quarter to just drive down the field and score.

The Jaguars do an Evening with the Coaches and during that, they showed gamefilm of Gabbert and talked about him. Part of his footwork issues is that he sometimes takes an awkward extra step (more of a hop, really) which causes his height in the pocket to decrease and makes it easier for the rush to get to him. It's one of the things they've emphasized correcting.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
sadjag

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how similar of a prospect is tannehill too Gabbert? both coming into the draft were guys who had all of the skills but were raw and needed time too develop.

Both teams had/have two guys in front of their rookies who should allow them too have that time they need. Unfortuantely we know what happened with the jags, for miami I hope Moore/Garrard hold up better than Garrard /Mccown.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
how similar of a prospect is tannehill too Gabbert? both coming into the draft were guys who had all of the skills but were raw and needed time too develop.

Both teams had/have two guys in front of their rookies who should allow them too have that time they need. Unfortuantely we know what happened with the jags, for miami I hope Moore/Garrard hold up better than Garrard /Mccown.

Gabbert came from the spread. Tannehill at the least ran a pro system with Mike Sherman.

Year 8 is the year, I always say!
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SickofMediocre wrote:
sadjag wrote:

Gabbert came from the spread. Tannehill at the least ran a pro system with Mike Sherman.

Your sig is way too big.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could, but he looked so bad last year. You would have liked to see some glimpses, but the only glimpses were those of a deer in a headlight. This year is crucial if he's going to escape the bust label he's dangerously close to already getting.

I wasn't a fan of his coming into last year's draft, largely because I didn't think he he had enough between the ears to be a franchise quarterback.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTF wrote:
I honestly feel bad for Jags fans.

I'll just say that if Gabbert has a good season this year that it will be based on absolutely nothing he showed his rookie season. There is not one attribute, ability, or anything else you want to refer to that he showed in his overall play this past season that suggests he will be a good NFL QB going forward. I look at a guy like him and see so many holes and flaws that I can't imagine it ever coming together for him.

If you think Gabbert showed nothing to prove that he has the ability to do certain things you want in a NFL QB to be able to do, you didn't watch him a whole lot last year.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
imani

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcedis Lewis, MJD, Mike Thomas and now Justin Blackmon is a solid core of weapons. He also has a solid defense on the other side of the ball. Not many excuses for him if he doesn't succeed and show improvement this year, a lot of other QBs would in his situation

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
I wish I could, but he looked so bad last year. You would have liked to see some glimpses, but the only glimpses were those of a deer in a headlight. This year is crucial if he's going to escape the bust label he's dangerously close to already getting.

I wasn't a fan of his coming into last year's draft, largely because I didn't think he he had enough between the ears to be a franchise quarterback.

He did show some glimpses, granted there weren't that many. Two plays in particular stand out to me. One against Tennessee (I think) where he escaped the pocket and threw a dart on the run to Dillard. This was on 4th and 10.

The play I really liked was against Tampa. He took a quick drop wanting to throw a slant. It wasn't there so he pump faked, took a step back to get farther back in the pocket, then side stepped to get away from a DT who was pushing the pocket. All of this done while keeping his eyes downfield. Then while taking a hit he delivered a perfect pass to Lewis who picked up 60 yards on the play.

It wasn't much but, it showed me he can make some plays. He had a few drives that gave me some confidence too. But, for whatever reason (after Gabbert marches down the field) the next possession we hand it off twice and Gabbert is facing third and long.

Credit to IPwn for da sig
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Marcedis Lewis, MJD, Mike Thomas and now Justin Blackmon is a solid core of weapons. He also has a solid defense on the other side of the ball. Not many excuses for him if he doesn't succeed and show improvement this year, a lot of other QBs would in his situation

Marcedes dropped everything that came his way last year, including at least 2 TD's, and Thomas had zero separation.

I hate the Jaguars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: