Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will Blaine Gabbert take the next step?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Will Blaine Gabbert take the next step? Reply with quote

We all know Gabbert looked extremely bad last season. He was expected to sit behind Garrard but with Garrard's injury and McCown's ineffectiveness, he was thrown into the fire. The game just looked to big for him at moments, whether it had to do with him still making the transition from the spread offense, or the fact he was the youngest QB to start 14 games in a season, who knows.

Us Jags fans made excuses for his poor play last season. Whether it was the lockout, to the lame duck coaching staff, to the WR's.

Now with Gabbert having a full off-season to learn the playbook, participate in mini camps and etc, having an offensive minded HC in Mike Mularkey, Bratkowski as his OC, Greg Olson as his QB's coach and adding Blackmon, Robinson and Evans to the WR position, is it put up or shut up time for Gabbert?

I'm still concerned about his pocket presence. It was painful to watch at times last season but it did get better down the stretch (the Titans and Bucs games, just to name a few). Will he continue to improve his pocket presense or go back to feeling pressure that isn't there? We'll see.

I don't think many people realize that the Jags are in a good position to make some noise this season. Returning 10 of 11 starters on the #6 ranked defense in 2011 (Roth is gone), Alualu won't be playing on one knee, added Aaron Ross and Andre Branch. Have one of the best RB's in the NFL. Upgraded the WR position in a big way. Upgraded special teams with the addition of Anger.

Will Gabbert take the next step next season to potentially get this Jags team into the playoffs or are we going to continue to see the Gabbert that looked lost in 2011?

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
kaz

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaine Gabbert's next step will be the first step.

Their D is for real when healthy, but that offense was absolutely dreadful last season. It will be impressive if they can make the jump to adequate.
norcalraider510

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackomd, Robinson, Thomas, Evans, Lewis, MJD. He has some nice toys there. I think he has a solid season next year. 3,400 yards 18 TD's 12 Int's, Something laround that area

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way in the world I see the Jags making the playoffs this season. I have them finishing 6-10 this season. 3rd in AFC South.

As for Gabbert, he certain has no excuses now. They brought in vet WRs (Robinson and Evans), and drafted Blackmon in round 1. Not to mention the Jags still have Mike Thomas also. He has a tight end threat in Lewis (hopefully for Jags fans sake he comes back from a bad season). The weapons are there for Gabbert. We will see if he improves.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has too, or we get to draft a QB next year.
No excuses this season. We've surrounded him with talent, he has to show that he has talent now.
And I'm a guy that will make excuses for 2011 Gabbert, I think there's no reason I shouldn't. No QB should ever be called a bust after 1 year, especially not after the situation Gabbert was thrown into.
That being said, I'm not saying he's not a bust, I'm just saying it's too early to tell.
Maybe it's just my hopes, but I see him taking that step.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
roger murdock

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes a QB whos supposed to shine in the mid range passing game, so Blackmon is the perfect WR for him.

I dont think he succeeds however. I've never been more confused about a top 10 pick in my life. I thought he was a 3rd/4th rounder. Never believed in his ability, so I dont think he makes it. We will see.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God, I hope so. He has no excuses. He's getting a competent coaching staff who actually understand his struggles and have a plan to work on them, a playbook that will play to his and the team's strengths, a full offseason, he's going to have a lot more talent to throw to, and I'd expect the o-line to be significantly better as well. He also shouldn't have the toe injury either. If he doesn't, he has no one to blame but himself.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
Nihc

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the Jag's O-Line? He's got playmakers at WR,TE, and RB so he has no excuse unless his O-Line is atrocious.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
How is the Jag's O-Line? He's got playmakers at WR,TE, and RB so he has no excuse unless his O-Line is atrocious.

Not bad, last year Guy Whimper was forced into action, and he let Gabbert get destroyed.
This year he's a backup, so it'll be improved.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
John Gruden

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags have surrounded him with some nice weapons on offense this year. If he doesn't take that next step, then it looks like he has nobody to blaine but himself...
janky

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Gabbart has some weapons now but that doesn't change the fact that he's terrified in the pocket and makes quick, dumb decisions. He also has to play in a division against a great Texans D, an extremely underrated Titans D, and what I expect to be a much improved Colts D with Mathis and Freeney and oh yeah, Chuck Pagano. I don't think Gabbart will ever take a step forward. Consider the Jags in the Matt Barkley sweepstakes for 2013.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks scared playing the QB position. Against the Chargers not-so-mighty pass rush, he looked scared out of his mind. I don't think he takes the step. He wasn't good in college and I don't see him suddenly changing under Mularkey.
eternalsoldier

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had some good moments last year... he had moments that show how good he could be and he had moments that showed he shouldn't be there.. I don't know that anyone can answer this question.. either way it could be a very interesting season depending on how he and Blackmon develope
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janky wrote:
makes quick, dumb decisions.

No he doesn't. He took a long time, and rarely made dumb decisions when he threw the ball.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
JustisM

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a lot of Carr in him at this point IMO. I think an OL for him is more important than the WR corp, but I guess the Jags disagree with me. I hope he takes a couple steps forward because mentally he seemed like he had it all until he started seeing NFL caliber pass rushers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: