Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Battles: WR
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Training Camp Battles: WR Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying that the camp fodder we have brought in during the URFA period have no shot at making the roster so I will not list them.

Locks: AJ Green
Our #1 target and team superstar is going no where and remains locked into his spot on the outside

Most likely: Mohamed Sanu, Jordan Shipley
Sanu has the inside track at becoming the teams #2 receiver, though some argue he is better in the slot and Jones could outshine him. I believe he will come in and show he can produce at a high level as a pure possession receiver. Shipley is returning from injury but looks to return to the slot as one of our better chain movers.

Probable: Andrew Hawkins
Hawkins contributes a huge role in the offense as a short gadget play receiver. He also is a big contributor on special teams.

Which is where the fun begins. Assumming we go with 6 receivers, this leaves 2 spots open.

Armon Binns, Ryan Whalen, Marvin Jones, Brandon Tate, Vidal Hazelton

Id assume that Hazelton has virtually no shot. Whalen offers much of the same that Shipley does, so if Shipley cannot return, look for Shipley to be headed for PUP and bump Whalen into that role. Marvin seems to like what Tate offers as a returner and possible candidate for the #2 role, however most fans will not agree. Binns has shown promise on the practice squad, and Marvin Jones has a lot of potential.

My final 6:
WR1- AJ Green, Armon Binns
WR2- Mohamed Sanu, Marvin Jones
Slot- Jordan Shipley, Andrew Hawkins

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are 6

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Brandon Tate doesn't make the team, I am a happy man. I also agree with your six, except possibly Whalen over Binns...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
As long as Brandon Tate doesn't make the team, I am a happy man. I also agree with your six, except possibly Whalen over Binns...

I completely agree. I'm not very high on Binns. I like Whalen especially I case Shipley isnt 100%. This is a young group but I really like the potential. I hope our TEs get more involved in the downfield passing game

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kashif Moore could make things interesting in the slot. I like Hawkins and definitely consider him a favorite to win a slot job, but I think there will be some competition.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
I think Kashif Moore could make things interesting in the slot. I like Hawkins and definitely consider him a favorite to win a slot job, but I think there will be some competition.

Hawkins over Shipley in the slot? Or are you talking backups?

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

Backups. If healthy, Shipley has the job.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
theJ

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:

Backups. If healthy, Shipley has the job.

Supposedly he's been running routes. He'll be fine.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see us sign Jabar Gaffney, as the Redskins have released him. I know we have a lot of competition here, but our most experiened WR is Ben Tate, and it'd be nice to at least have one pretty experienced guy at least through camp. I could even see him beating out Binn or Whalen, as he has playoff and SB experience.

Without Gaffney, I expect:

X - AJ Green, Armon Binns
Y - Mohamed Sanu, Marvin Jones
Z - Jordan Shipley, Andrew Hawkins

If Gaffney is added, he moves to starting Y, Sanu goes to back-up and Jones moves behind Green.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:

I'd pass on gaffney, but why not. These six are who I see making it, barring injury. I could see tate traded for another position player at the end of camp a la Nelson for Jones.
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
Anonymous3 wrote:

I'd pass on gaffney, but why not. These six are who I see making it, barring injury. I could see tate traded for another position player at the end of camp a la Nelson for Jones.

Why?

He had more yards, receptions and TDs last year than any WR on our roster not named AJ Green has in their career.

Rookie WRs tend to struggle. AJ was an exception because he is an elite talent. Sanu and Jones have upside, but I'll be shocked if either even puts up the numbers Simpson did last year. Bring in a veteran who has good size and already runs NFL routes. What's the downside?
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:
Anonymous3 wrote:

Why?

He had more yards, receptions and TDs last year than any WR on our roster not named AJ Green has in their career.

Rookie WRs tend to struggle. AJ was an exception because he is an elite talent. Sanu and Jones have upside, but I'll be shocked if either even puts up the numbers Simpson did last year. Bring in a veteran who has good size and already runs NFL routes. What's the downside?

No downside this year. I just want the new WRs to get a chance now (something Simpson didn't get, being behind Ocho and not smart enough to grasp offense). And i don't want to lose a long term guy for a one year fix (a la losing Briscoe for Owens).
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
No downside this year. I just want the new WRs to get a chance now (something Simpson didn't get, being behind Ocho and not smart enough to grasp offense). And i don't want to lose a long term guy for a one year fix (a la losing Briscoe for Owens).

100x this. Who cares what numbers Gaffney put up in Washington? Different system, different team, different QB. No need to steal reps from more talented younger players. They will have their growing pains but I guess I think more highly of Sanu than most...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

100x this. Who cares what numbers Gaffney put up in Washington? Different system, different team, different QB. No need to steal reps from more talented younger players. They will have their growing pains but I guess I think more highly of Sanu than most...

I agree. Signing Gaffney would push a younger talented player out of a spot, and some other team would sign them and the would become a superstar, making us all hate Gaffney for all time

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
INbengalfan wrote:

I agree. Signing Gaffney would push a younger talented player out of a spot, and some other team would sign them and the would become a superstar, making us all hate Gaffney for all time

Signing Gaffney would give us a productive player and would take the pressure off Jones and Sanu to produce now. It would allow them to learn the offense, and the NFL game before they needed to be relied upon.

This is not a team in full rebuild mode. We went to the playoffs last year. We have a chance to win now. Bring in a veteran who can contribute right away. At best he makes us a better team. At worst he gets cut before the season starts.

I fail to see the downside.

Especially when you consider how many Bengals fans were crying for a veteran WR before the draft. It's not like we drafted Floyd, Hill, or Blackmon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: