Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings 2013 NFL Draft Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I had an entire east/west shrine write-up ready to go when my computer froze so instead I'll just post a list of 5 prospects that I'll be watching Saturday and if you guys have questions about them you can ask.

S - Cooper Taylor (Richmond) 6'4 - 230 lbs
WLB - Keith Pough (Howard) 6'3 - 235 lbs
DE - David Bass (Missouri Western) - 6'4 264 lbs
OL - Terron Armstead (Arkansas-Pine Bluff) 6'5 - 305 lbs
WR - Emory Blake (Auburn) 6'1 - 196 lbs

Have you watched Garth Heikkinen at all?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on his week of practice he should be one of the starting guards for the East.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm most excited to see Cooper Taylor. A safety with that kind of size would be amazing on tight ends running down the seam. Here are some practice notes on him...

Quote:
Monday
The other really impressive defensive back was Cooper Taylor of Richmond. Get used to hearing that name this week, because he really looks the part of the hype I heard about him in the pre-season of this year. The 64 safety is a monster in the defensive back drills compared to his 60 or smaller counterparts, yet hes reacting and closing on passes as well as any of them. His change of direction, efficient aggression, and reaction to the play were fantastic today, including a Collin Klien interception. Ill look for him to be maybe one of three small schoolers here fighting for a Top 3 round pick.

Tuesday
Once again, Cooper Taylor impressed today, as the Richmond safety followed up a surprising Monday. Showing great reaction and pickup ability with running back and tight ends, he closed on routes quickly and only gave up one catch in his zone/man, which was a quick out by Ray Graham (tough to defend from SS spot).

If he runs in the mid 4.5 range like he is supposed to and tests as well in the quickness and agility drills as he shows on the field I have a hard time passing him up with pick 85, and, if we do, I run to the podium at 105 if he's still there.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big fan of George Iloka for the same reasons, finding a big and rangy Safety to contend with the big WRs in the NFC North.

Iloka didnt test well and ended up falling but i would like to find a big safety back there.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I was a big fan of George Iloka for the same reasons, finding a big and rangy Safety to contend with the big WRs in the NFC North.

Iloka didnt test well and ended up falling but i would like to find a big safety back there.

Agreed. The impact of Kam Chancellor is going to push those big Safeties up the board, for better or worse. Its a copycat league.

This draft is really deep at Safety. Theres no Eric Berry/Laron Landry prospect but theres about 8 that I could live with us getting

Vaccaro
Jefferson
Reid
Rambo
McDonald
Elam
Lester
Swearinger
Thomas

and now this Cooper Taylor could be an interesting one.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the depth at Safety this year. MN should be able to find a decent player in round 3 or 4, and hopefully a day one starter.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor is a guy you can't help but root for due to his past medical history.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I want a safety is if the kid has speed. I love Harrison Smith but I view him more as a strong safety with average coverage skills. The only way a rookie is going to start is if he offers something that neither Sanford or Raymond can give you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the thinking that you can get a Day 1 starter at Safety (for opposite Harrison Smith) with Vikings 3rd round pick or Detroits 4th round pick.

We have guys would can make big hits like Sanford (and he is good at that), but I would want more coverage skills/speed, even if there is lower physicality.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I had an entire east/west shrine write-up ready to go when my computer froze so instead I'll just post a list of 5 prospects that I'll be watching Saturday and if you guys have questions about them you can ask.

S - Cooper Taylor (Richmond) 6'4 - 230 lbs
WLB - Keith Pough (Howard) 6'3 - 235 lbs
DE - David Bass (Missouri Western) - 6'4 264 lbs
OL - Terron Armstead (Arkansas-Pine Bluff) 6'5 - 305 lbs
WR - Emory Blake (Auburn) 6'1 - 196 lbs

This guy needs to be a Viking

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
The only way I want a safety is if the kid has speed. I love Harrison Smith but I view him more as a strong safety with average coverage skills. The only way a rookie is going to start is if he offers something that neither Sanford or Raymond can give you.

Well, in the cover 2 there is very little difference between Safetys. So there isnt a true FS or SS in the traditional sense of a team playing Cover 3 with an in the box Safety.

Now the Cover 2 isnt always built around having fast safetys, they dont play a lot of man coverage so it isnt an extremely valuable skill set. Having a player with good instincts and the ability to read the QB goes a long way in the Cover 2.

What I want in a Safety most of all is a player who can play the run, can be a big hitter, and be smart in coverage. Sanford is a physical player and I like that, but he isnt an ideal player to have in deep halves coverage. Raymond is brutal in run support and never makes impact hits like Sanford does.

Give me a physical hitter and reliable tackler, someone who is smart, understands zone coverage.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One safety to keep an eye on is Dexter McCoil from Tulsa. He has the size (measured in at 6' 4", 217 lbs at an all star game) and production (18 career INTs, 25 pass break-ups, 316 tackles) you look for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Well, in the cover 2 there is very little difference between Safetys. So there isnt a true FS or SS in the traditional sense of a team playing Cover 3 with an in the box Safety.

Now the Cover 2 isnt always built around having fast safetys, they dont play a lot of man coverage so it isnt an extremely valuable skill set. Having a player with good instincts and the ability to read the QB goes a long way in the Cover 2.

What I want in a Safety most of all is a player who can play the run, can be a big hitter, and be smart in coverage. Sanford is a physical player and I like that, but he isnt an ideal player to have in deep halves coverage. Raymond is brutal in run support and never makes impact hits like Sanford does.

Give me a physical hitter and reliable tackler, someone who is smart, understands zone coverage.

Bacarri Rambo- perfect fit next to Harry. Ball hawk of a FS who can cover deep halves, play centerfield, or come up in the box and tackle.

Plus his name is Rambo...well, kinda. Real name is Bacarri Fudge, but Rambo is way cooler
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying to this from the Te'o thread:

AQuintus wrote:
With Ogletree, I can see the argument that he'd be better at WLB for at least the first year or two as he bulks up and continues to learn the position (although I don't think it would be strictly necessary), but I don't see why he can't be a successful MLB long term, especially in what is increasingly becoming a passing league.

But is it really?

Look at the four remaining teams.

Baltimore and San Francisco are run first. New England is pretty balanced, and Atlanta is pass heavy. So one of four remaining teams are pass-heavy.

Even looking at the teams eliminated last week, only Green Bay is pass heavy. Seattle is run heavy, and Denver and Houston are pretty balanced.

How about the Wild Card round? Washington and Cincinnatti are run heavy, and only Indianapolis is pass heavy.

So of the 12 playoff teams, only three were pass heavy.
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggsohnasty wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Agreed. The impact of Kam Chancellor is going to push those big Safeties up the board, for better or worse. Its a copycat league.

This draft is really deep at Safety. Theres no Eric Berry/Laron Landry prospect but theres about 8 that I could live with us getting

Vaccaro
Jefferson
Reid
Rambo
McDonald
Elam
Lester
Swearinger
Thomas

and now this Cooper Taylor could be an interesting one.

I like McDonald a lot! Plus, he's a USC guy, so Rick will like that!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 99 of 103

Jump to: