Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Guaranteed 2013 Mock Draft (Updated 04/04 bottom pg 1)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: My Guaranteed 2013 Mock Draft (Updated 04/04 bottom pg 1) Reply with quote

Well, with the 2012 NFL Draft in the books, our attention as a draft related website can start to shift focus to the 2013 prospects. Looking at next year's list, and what I expect from our team, I feel 100% confident in guaranteeing the following draft:

Round 1, Pick 32:

Some Guy Nobody Expected to be an Option, Position of Need, Some School

When Some Guy Nobody Expected to be an Option's name is called, our collective jaws will drop. Here's a guy that probably would have been available at least 10 picks later, making us extremely curious as to why we reached for him, but Baalke does this kind of thing to us all the time, and an article that comes out after the pick suggests that the very next team was seriously considering the same player, even though nobody had thought that was true even a day before. Every single mock draft but this one becomes irrelevant, as they are all completely wrong. No less than 3 posters on this forum complain like the sky is falling and grade the pick an "F." Half the rest of the posters give the grade a C because of the options that were passed on, and the other half give it a hopeful "B" or "B+," not because they like the pick, but because they're trying desperately to believe in Baalke and justify the pick in their heads at the same time.

Round 2

A Player that Nearly Everyone Likes But Can't Figure Out How He Fits on this Team, Position with Established Starter, A Different University

After a full day of talking about the better options than the first round pick, the lot of us create a list of prospects we're hopeful will fall to our pick, or that we may have the brass balls required to trade up and grab. We get on the clock, and a handful of those players are available. Suddenly, A Player that Nearly Everyone Likes But Can't Figure Out How He Fits on this Team's name is called, and we're all like "Wow!" We rush to the forum to find a half dozen posters already super excited about the possibilities, the other half liking the player, but trying to figure out why he was picked over others that were larger needs. At least one poster hates the pick, because he had already posted about the sky falling previously yesterday, and now the same prospect he wanted in Round 1 is still available at the pick in Round 2, and we skipped them again. Same poster makes a sky is falling topic, comparing us unfavorably to something else in a way to make it seem like it was the worst draft of all-time. Everyone else says it's an overreaction, including y2. y2, however, is called out for protecting his friends. I don't know why this happens, but rest assured - it will.

Round 3, First Pick:

Player that Nobody Likes at All That Most Believe Was a Sixth Rounder, Position of Major Need, WTFU

Assuming we didn't start a series of trade downs that will unbelievably net us 5 extra draft picks combined between this draft and next (one of which will inexplicably be a higher pick than we originally started with), we draft a guy that sends the forum in a frenzy. Nobody likes the pick. Well, not 'nobody' - one or two posters who don't really like the pick will defend the pick against being a reach using logic that doesn't really seem to work, but a few people will accept anyway. The whole forum really hates the pick given the dozen or so better options (according to the draft experts) at the same position still readily available. The poster who started the thread after the 2nd round pick was made's head explodes and is never heard from again (until the inevitable 'Grade our Draft' thread is made - just can't stay away from that one...even without a head!)

Round 3, Pick 2:

The First Pick Generally Everyone Agrees With, Position of Need, Respected University

And here it is - right before the end of Day 2, we end up with our most agreeable pick - a guy who most thought would be available around this time at a position we hadn't addressed yet gets picked up, and the board lets out a collective sigh of relief. Amazingly, this prospect was in absolutely no one's mock drafts leading up to the draft, but after how off-the-wall the other picks had been, this one somehow seems like a savior. Except to the guy who's head exploded - he will still somehow hate this pick in the 'Grade our Draft' topic. Absolutely best case scenario - the pick is so good that he can't REALLY hate it, so he leaves it out of the discussion entirely as is perfectly counters his point.

Round 4:

Nondescript Player #1, Position, MEH

After mourning the loss of a dear poster who we are somewhat unaware will resurrect later in the 'Grade our Draft' post, we compile the list of the best remaining prospects. These consist of players who are falling due to injury, character, or poor Senior Bowl showings, and most agree they were probably on the cusp of being third rounders. When our pick comes up...all of them are still there. Being it's the fourth round, and a lot of the picks seem anticlimactic, when Nondescript Player #1's name is announced, most of us don't even realize it happened. Some casually look over his draft profile and say "Eh, he's a body" and the rest of us disappear until our fifth round pick, because really - posting about this guy seems like a waste of time.

Round 5:

No Name Prospect That we Trade up 20 or so Spots for, Position of Need, Division 6 school

Suddenly, about 20 spots ahead of our first of two fifth round picks, we see the 49ers are on the clock again. The excitement starts building! Of those prospects that were on the cusp of the third round that were available previously....ALL are still somehow available. It's time for value! Then the pick is announced...and nobody knows who it is. The experts search for pronunciation guides to announce his name correctly, the draft websites try and search for information as to why the prospect was never even listed on their site, half of us go and try and research the school that we thought was one of the fictional schools they used as a joke in The Waterboy. Nobody sensible can really hate the pick because it was a fifth rounder for one, and two there's no idea on if this player is any good or not. A few of us huddle in a corner and cry a little, but we don't post about it because it hurts our forum cred. We learn we gave up our other fifth and a sixth to make it happen. No clue why.

...oh, and in 2014, this guy is listed as the incumbent starter at his position despite never playing a down in 2013. Just a head's up.

Round 6:

Nondescript Player #2, Position, Random ACC School

After being emotionally drained by the previous...well let's not beat around the bush, by the entire draft, when Nondescript Player #2's name is called there's hardly any way much enthusiasm can be generated. One or two posters will get behind the pick because they want a favorite player from the draft, and others will just because they're thrilled they actually watched one quarter of a game the ACC school played in the previous season while waiting for a better game to start. They don't recall noticing the player do anything, but at least it's better than a Division 6 school. One or two posters will actually find a way to hate the pick, because it came at the same position as another prospect that they really liked, and was at one time considered a 2nd round prospect. Somehow, that guy goes undrafted.

Round 7, Pick 1:

Taylor Mays, S, USC

Really, when it comes down to it, there's no way anyone's going to really like this pick, because we're all going to remember that in 2010, it was our 2nd round pick...and Mike Singletary wasted it. The guy we get won't likely even make the practice squad, so it may as well be drafting Taylor Mays a second time. Thanks a lot, Mike Singletary! y2 then sighs heavily when all the posts made referencing how this nobody we drafted was really Taylor Mays are posted, because he realizes his incredibly early 2013 guaranteed mock draft really laid the seeds for this discontent with the pick, and now he has to deal with all the posts referencing it. Smart move y2. Here would be a good time to edit the pick...but you're not going to. Lazy jerk.

Round 7, Pick 2:

Nondescript Player #3, Defensive Back, A school that sounds small but isn't

Our 7th round pick is picked specifically so he can work on special teams, and with our great unit - he actually looks really good! But that's all he ever is, so he's really just any other 7th round pick.

(Sorry for the lack of pictures - you wouldn't believe the dearth of them available for these guys)

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 22nd All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #21, Ricky Watters: 29
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 354

Last edited by y2lamanaki on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love when y2 finds too much time on his hands and isn't arguing something to death by insulting the opponent's intelligence!!! Awesome!

Quote:
Half the rest of the posters give the grade a C because of the options that were passed on

I definitely fall into this category for this draft selection. I am really disappointed that prospect Z/man-crush LB4 from 7TF actually fell to us and we PASSED on him! All for some dude I had graded out as a round 3 option! But I will hold out hope... knowing that our F/O has been wise and competent in the past.

By round 2, I was hungover... still heart-broken, and rather defeated at this point.. So it was no surprise that we selected 42Nb from KY2D. Didn't see this coming at all... and the rest of the picks are all questionable.

Oh well... life goes on. Now, is where I will swear off ever spending so much time researching draft prospects... while suspecting all along that I'll be giving just the same effort after the 2012 season is completed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

best mock ever

-kiltman
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing This is getting bookmarked, then will be grave dug in a year.
Psychlone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! As the general consensus is the kiss of death, we all can go into next years draft predicting our selections based on the template above. Then the consensus will be the abstract selections resulting in a draft full of prospects that we all secretly like. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You win at life.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So everyone knows - I'm sticking by my mock. Also a bump for anyone who may have missed it the first time.

oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Now, is where I will swear off ever spending so much time researching draft prospects... while suspecting all along that I'll be giving just the same effort after the 2012 season is completed.

Oh damn... my suspicion comes true yet again. Why?!? Why can I never find something actually useful to do with all of this time on my hands?!?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Now, is where I will swear off ever spending so much time researching draft prospects... while suspecting all along that I'll be giving just the same effort after the 2012 season is completed.

Oh damn... my suspicion comes true yet again. Why?!? Why can I never find something actually useful to do with all of this time on my hands?!?

Build a bird house? Fight crime at night?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrowing Psychlone's idea and using this as a template, our draft might look something like this (compensatory picks not included, and including the 5th round up 20 spots trade as predicted in the original post):

1) Terrence Williams, WR, Baylor
2) Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
3/1) Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond
3/2) Joe Kruger, DE, Utah
4) Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech
5) Tony Tatum, CB, Gallaudet
6) Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
7/1) Dan Giordano, DE, Cincinnati (moved to OLB)
7/2) Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky

oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

Build a bird house? Fight crime at night?

The first one was a mistake, as my rabid dogs screamed at them incessantly.

The second one was a huge mistake, as I got beaten up badly by the biggest, meanest cross-dresser I'd ever encountered. How was I supposed to know? I thought I was preventing a rape, but their actions in that dark alley were consensual and I ruined her/his appointment.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: s Reply with quote

Here's a mock I came up with - not having anything to do with the above referenced mock/template. Just an actual one I wanted to keep in this thread:

I start off with a trade: 49ers trade picks #31, #74, and #157 (from IND) to Chicago for pick #20.

1) Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas -

First off, I know this is a pricey trade, but it would be about what is required to get it done, assuming neither side gets greedy, and I am going to attempt to justify it. In Mel Kiper's most recent mock (not someone I trust 100%, I just used it as a guide), he has Vaccaro skipping past the Rams at 16, and falling back to them at 22. First off, I don't believe they'll skip over him at 16, and I definitely don't believe he'd get past the Bengals at 21. However, I just went with the concept that the Rams would roll the dice and let him pass.

Then I look at our team, and as of this exact moment in time, the starting FS is someone in the Darcel McBath/Trenton Robinson/CJ Spillman/Craig Dahl mix. That assumes that nobody is transferring to FS of Rogers/Culliver/Brown/Nnamdi. That is slightly terrifying, in my view, and a reason I understand why some were so mad we let Goldson walk (though I still side with those that believe we just couldn't afford him here).

Vaccaro is far and away the best free safety option in the draft to have someone as a reasonable starter, and the dropoff after that is just too great, IMO. The idea of passing on him in favor of anyone who might be available at 31 or 34 (or *gulp* later) just doesn't seem worth a third and fifth round pick. I see the needs going into the draft as needing to replace Goldson, Sopoaga, and Walker, as well as finding depth at defensive line, linebacker, and pass-rusher. That's really it in the grand scheme of things. We're now reasonably set for 2013 at QB, RB, WR, OL, CB, and special teams, and I see FS, 2nd TE, pass-rushing OLB, and NT as the only positions where there's a reasonable shot at playing time. So the 3rd became expendable, and the 5th is a 5th...

2a) Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford -

I would have really liked to see Eifert fall down the boards, but that no longer looks as if it'd be the case. It still remains possible for Ertz, and he's far from just a consolation prize. He's an improvement over Delanie Walker, certainly at least from a receiving standpoint, and can make an immediate impact on the team. Plus, it gives our already suddenly strong offense an extra weapon.

2b) Jonathan Jenkins, NT, Georgia -

I've seen him fall to the 57-58 picks in the draft, so what's 3 more? A big NT could easily be depth right away at the position should the team feel more comfortable with Dorsey there, and if not, could challenge to be a starter.

3) Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn -

Might be a pipe dream to get him to fall all the way to 93, but if he were there it'd seem crazy not to take him at this point. He has size similar to Aldon Smith when he came out of college (a few pounds lighter), and a fairly similar skillset. He's already rushed from the linebacker position in college, and seems to do better out of a 2-point stance anyway. Great mix of speed and power, could probably play the role Aldon did as a rookie as just a dedicated pass-rusher in pass-rushing situations. Certainly would provide great depth. Great motor and doesn't quit on plays, which is helpful for facing some of the new breed of QBs (especially in our division).

4A) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina -

I couldn't escape the thought of taking him even down a few picks due to my trade because he's just a special talent and reminds me so much of Frank Gore, which is ideal for when we need to replace Gore. Plus, as a Gators fan, I maintain a very clear SEC bias that may or may not show in my selections (may).

4B) William Gholston, DE, Michigan St.

A guy who certainly has great size for the position, but questionable consistency concerns. However, when he plays at his best, he'd be a great fit in the defensive line rotation, with the potential to be a starter down the road, but not someone I'd ever see in the Justin Smith replacement mold (sadly that waits another year - though Sheldon Richardson still remains someone I believe would be the perfect replacement, should we be able to afford moving up for him).

6A) Jonathan Stewart, ILB, Texas A&M

Not a bad guy to have for depth, as he can also play OLB in a pinch. Good instincts and nose for the ball. Clearly not needed to start unless there's an injury, and can act as a solid replacement for Gooden/Grant.

6B) Marc Anthony, CB, California

I've seen most draft sites list him as a 6th-7th rounder. Is this right? Outside of durability concerns, he's a solid player I would've expected as a mid-round guy. Still, because I can do what I want, I kept him as a '6th-7th rounder.' Works for me.

7A) Sam Brenner, G, Utah

A guard in college, we'll convert him to SS for our team.

7B) Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond

A safety in college, we'll convert him to OG for our team.

In all seriousness - taking a flier on this kid might be well worth it for some team. He's an impressive small school prospect (want to say he was originally with Georgia Tech, but uncertain).

7C) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida

I know we signed Dawson already, but if he's here - why not, right?

adamq

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't get better than that.. Vacarro is an instant starter, Ertz provides a possible upgrade over Delanie.. Great competition for depth all throughout the rest...

-kiltman
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been reading my recent comments on the draft I think you know that I would find this almost perfect. Don't know much about many of the later picks, but after the first part of this mock everything else is just icing on the cake.

What's more I think this is exactly the sort of thng we might do. Your reasoning on Vaccaro is spot on; S and TE and DE will be our three biggest priorities with S at the top of the list and Vaccaro stands out in the list of guys available. You do have to worry about Dallas though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love love love this draft!

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: