Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How would you rate Seattle's 2012 Draft Class?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you grade the Seahawks 2012 Draft?
A
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
B
37%
 37%  [ 10 ]
C
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
D
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
F
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
who said toomer has to start? Who's to say he wouldn't start out situational? Fans need understand that this defense is about much more than 11 players...it's closer to twice that
And it's not even about this year. Toomer is developmental to be sure

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Sakae99

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

developing Toomer huh? fair enough~
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. LEO Bruce Irvin
Grade: A-
Opinion: Obviously not my favorite pick at the time, but considering how unique our LEO position is, it requires a unique athlete. That's exactly what we get in Bruce Irvin who I think is going to end up being a monster in this role. Looking at his Combine numbers, it's hard to see him busting. He's so much better than guys like Vernon Gholston and Aaron Maybin and is actually a lot more similar to Clay Matthews in that regard. I can't wait to see him get after it. The upside of this pick is massive which I really like in round 1.

2. LB Bobby Wagner
Opinion: Doesn't have the upside of Irvin but is obviously much less of a risk. I think Wagner is going to be a really solid, long-term starter that is dependable week in and week out. Never a huge a stud, but never a liability.

3. QB Russell Wilson
Grade: B
Opinion: I'm a Wilson fan and I think he has the #2 skillset in this entire class at the QB position. Obviously height may hinder him, but he has the ability to overcome it and I don't mind drafting a project with limited needs. He's a cheaper, better option to Tarvaris Jackson, and if it means we can get rid of him I'm a happy man. Even if he never sees the field, he's the kind of kid you love to have in the locker room as he brings the winning atmosphere with him. You need guys like that.

4. RB Robert Turbin
Opinion: Turbin is going to be a guy that should really take a lot of pressure away from Lynch and should help this offense wear down defenses toward the end of games. He's a bruiser that refuses to go down which is great for this offense that prefers to keep the ball on the ground. Turbin is a kid that I can see being the starter when Lynches contract expires.

5. DL Jaye Howard
Grade: D-
Opinion: I don't really see where Howard fits to be honest and I don't see the upside. I think the staff got sucked into the praise that Dan Quinn fed them and didn't analyze the prospects objectively. Just my opinion. Howard really isn't that special on tape though he is a pretty athletic for the most part. Probably my least favorite pick when you consider need, upside, value, etc.

6. LB Korey Toomer
Grade: C+
Opinion: At first I really hated this pick, but I suppose that was more out of ignorance of the prospect. Toomer is a player that was used at LB, S, CB, and FB for the Vandals and Ken Norton personally requested that we take him. Those are big kudos coming from the respected LB coach. Toomer isn't a guy that's ever going to start so don't picture him as the next Chancellor/Sherman, but I do think he's going to be a special utility player that we can use in a lot of different situations. He has the size and athleticism to match up with the more talented slot TEs in this league which could prove to be very valuable in the coming years. Perhaps Pete and the rest of this staff are predicting the future of the league?

7. CB Jeremy Lane
Opinion: This kid holds a lot of upside and is a great fit for the system. Lanky corner with long arms that specializes in press coverage. I honestly don't think he ever starts for us, but I do think he's a great insurance policy for any injuries we have at the position because I do think he'll be a starting caliber player after our coaches work with him.

8. SS Winston Guy
Grade: B+
Opinion: Guy is surprisingly a 6th round selection that I think is going to have a bigger impact on the team than any of the past 3 guys I named. If the staff is serious about this new package where Kam goes to LB on passing downs, Guy could be a very useful player on the back half of the field and at the very least I expect him to have a Chancellor-esque rookie year as a special teamer.

9. OG JR Sweezy
Grade: D+
Opinion: I don't think he ends up making the roster with all of the crazy depth we have on the interior but I could see him on the PS. Doubt we ever hear his name on the 53 as a guard.

10. DL Greg Scruggs
Opinion: This pick makes me hate the Jaye Howard pick even more. Scruggs actually looks better on tape, is a better athlete, and has more upside, yet we were able to take him 3 rounds later. I think Scruggs has more of a future with this team than Howard does and was a nice gamble for the 7th round.
hdshot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had local sports radio on and they do follow Idaho Vandels football. During the season they will interview the Vandels coach a few days before the game. So they said they went back to hear if they Vandels coach ever talked about Wagner in past interviews before the Utah games. They remembered coach talking about Turbin but not Wagner. They would of thought a 2nd round pick in the NFL the Vandels coach would of talked about how ridiculously good Wagner is when he would talk about Utah next on the schedule.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about you go and just watch some tape of Wagner yourself?

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
hdshot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:

OK? But just saying what I heard. IMO the conculsion could go two ways, coach sucks or a reach for Wagner.
Sacks98

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagner was not a reach i saw a lot of mocks having us taking him at our spot in the 2nd round.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao.

If Wagner was a reach so was Andrew Luck.

You do know Wagner was on the preseason watchlist for best LB in the country, right? Does that sound like someone who coaches didn't know about.
hdshot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:

I just watched some games that shows him in every play last year. He needs some work because he would get stood up on blocks and the runner could get another 2-3 yards during his tackels. Just hope the Hawks get him to knock back blockers and stand up the runners more times than not. Lots of cushion on coverage but that might be more of a coaching thing.

Good speed in those tapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy8qDcN2yI4
hdshot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wagner should be good but what i can tell when I watch the Auburn, Nevada, and San Jose he needed more of a chip on his shoulder. Those guys that got in his face needed to be knocked on their azz and show more to make the runner pay. Pete will get him pissed with his athletic ability.
Smokegt2

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rate Seattles draft a C- at this point. Carroll took a lot of big risk that could come back to haunt him in this draft. This could make or break his NFL career. Most of the players he took were athletes who need to be refined. Bobby Wagner, and Robert Turbin were probably the safest picks of the bunch. I felt like there needed to be more balence between athletes and more refined players.
Smokegt2

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why people are bashing the Wagner pick. He's easily the best coverage linebacker in this draft next to Luke Kuechly. Wagner actually reminds me A LOT of Kuechly. His tackling form however could use work, and he can be caught out of position more than Kuechly is. When his assignment calls for it he can cause disruption in the backfield. Not only that he can rush the passer as a standup linebacker on the edge. Not only that but he took some huge strides this season. As the season progressed he became better. His reads were quicker, and he became more of a disruptive force.

He was also going to be taken by the Cowboys, so he wasn't a reach either.
PrepNwa23

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall i'm feeling a little bit better on the draft the more tape i see on our guys. I trust John and Pete but i still can't get behind the Bruce Irvin pick, there was just such other studs on the board. But only time will tell how these picks will translate into playing on the team. If Irvin becomes a Aaron Maybin then its an obvious bust but if he gets 16 sacks in 2 years you have to say the Irvin pick wasn't a reach. But i think DeCastro would of been a much safer pick for us.

Props To Lionsmack for Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: