Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 53 man roster discussion/guesses
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
49ersfan


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 6249
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: 2012 53 man roster discussion/guesses Reply with quote

With the draft and FA done, the next significant events to discuss before the season are OTA's and TC...and obviously the preseason. But discussing the 53 man roster will be a big issue as well. Lets use this thread to not only discuss the 53 man roster, but make our own guesses. Here's my immediate post-draft 53 man roster. No specific depth chart order other than obvious starters

QB- Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Josh Johnson
RB- Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, Randy Moss, Ted Ginn, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Willliams
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Alex Boone, Mike Person
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney
C- Jonathan Goodwin, Jason Slowey

NT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ian Williams
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, RJF, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tuakufu
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVarro Bowman, Larry Grant
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Darrell Fleming, Cam Johnson
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox, Curtis Holcolmb
S- Dashon Goldson, Dante Whitner, CJ Spillman, Trent Robinson, Colin Jones

K- David Akers
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings

Practice Squad- Scott Tolzien, Chris Owosu, Michael Thomas, Matt Mosselfina (spelling?), Chase Beeler, Derek Hall, Konrad Reuland, Cory Nelms

Notable cuts- Tavares Gooden(only plays ST's), Nate Byham, Anthony Dixon, Traimaine Brock
_________________
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Draino


Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 21
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2012 53 man roster discussion/guesses Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
With the draft and FA done, the next significant events to discuss before the season are OTA's and TC...and obviously the preseason. But discussing the 53 man roster will be a big issue as well. Lets use this thread to not only discuss the 53 man roster, but make our own guesses. Here's my immediate post-draft 53 man roster. No specific depth chart order other than obvious starters

QB- Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Josh Johnson
RB- Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, Randy Moss, Ted Ginn, AJ Jenkins, Kyle Willliams
TE- Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Alex Boone, Mike Person
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney
C- Jonathan Goodwin, Jason Slowey

NT- Isaac Sopoaga, Ian Williams
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, RJF, Demarcus Dobbs, Will Tuakufu
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVarro Bowman, Larry Grant
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Darrell Fleming, Cam Johnson
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox, Curtis Holcolmb
S- Dashon Goldson, Dante Whitner, CJ Spillman, Trent Robinson, Colin Jones

K- David Akers
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings

Practice Squad- Scott Tolzien, Chris Owosu, Michael Thomas, Matt Mosselfina (spelling?), Chase Beeler, Derek Hall, Konrad Reuland, Cory Nelms

Notable cuts- Tavares Gooden(only plays ST's), Nate Byham, Anthony Dixon, Traimaine Brock


I think the 6th WR will be either Wiliams or Owusu and the 5th CB will be between Holcomb and Brock.. everything else is right on point, and I like the PS group too
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
niner4ever


Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 145
Location: napa
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think ginn males it after the James and Jenkins picks also you are forgetting cartright who is strictly a special teamer signing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
struby3


Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 3773
Location: Iowa City
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooden will make the team. "Only plays STs" is not true for him. Gooden is a great #4 ILB. Cartwright will likely make the team too. There is no chance that we only keep two tight ends. Byham, Reuland, and Celek will battle it out for the third spot. And the coaching staff thinks highly of Brock. They had him penciled in as a starter during training camp last year.

On your list, I would substitute Brock, Byham, Cartwright, and Gooden for Jacobs, Kyle Williams, Ian Williams, and Holcomb.
_________________
And on the eighth day, God created Iowa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22428
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byham makes the team as our 3rd blocking TE, and I think Brock makes it over Holcomb.

I think Williams get cut, and either Person/Looney/Slowey are on placed on PS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamq


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 7801
Location: Missouri
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looney and Slowey will at least be on the PS IMO
_________________

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFaithful97


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 2975
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
Looney and Slowey will at least be on the PS IMO
We got looney in the 4th, and he had a 3rd round grade from some. No chance he doesn't get picked up if we try to put him on the PS. No, he is on the 53 unless he bombs TC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scraly47*


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 3966
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we carry three TEs(Davis, Walker, and Bynum) and five WRs(crabs, Moss, Mario, Ginn, Jenkins). I think it might go this way because Walker is used as a tweener(wr/te) at times. I feel bad for Kyle if he gets cut but that's how things sometimes goes in the nfl.
_________________


-Lork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adamq


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 7801
Location: Missouri
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and its 54. They gave teams one more roster spot iirc
_________________

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
struby3


Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 3773
Location: Iowa City
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
oh, and its 54. They gave teams one more roster spot iirc


I don't think so. Can anybody confirm?
_________________
And on the eighth day, God created Iowa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39275
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought I remembered reading a 54 man roster... but I'm not seeing it anywhere now. Maybe I just counted 54 beer cans on my counter?

I did read that Training Camp rosters expanded from 80-90... and always felt they should add a few more spots to the 53. Sad
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
struby3


Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Posts: 3773
Location: Iowa City
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I also thought I remembered reading a 54 man roster... but I'm not seeing it anywhere now. Maybe I just counted 54 beer cans on my counter?

I did read that Training Camp rosters expanded from 80-90... and always felt they should add a few more spots to the 53. Sad


I hope they moved it up to 54. That would be great. Hell, move it up to 55. Or even 56. Or even...
_________________
And on the eighth day, God created Iowa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39275
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
I also thought I remembered reading a 54 man roster... but I'm not seeing it anywhere now. Maybe I just counted 54 beer cans on my counter?

I did read that Training Camp rosters expanded from 80-90... and always felt they should add a few more spots to the 53. Sad


I hope they moved it up to 54. That would be great. Hell, move it up to 55. Or even 56. Or even...


I feel even 3 extra spots is all it would take to give teams the appropriate amount of breathing room. I'm still not seeing anything about 54.. so I am now guessing that may not be right.. not yet sure.
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 12846
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

struby3 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
I also thought I remembered reading a 54 man roster... but I'm not seeing it anywhere now. Maybe I just counted 54 beer cans on my counter?

I did read that Training Camp rosters expanded from 80-90... and always felt they should add a few more spots to the 53. Sad


I hope they moved it up to 54. That would be great. Hell, move it up to 55. Or even 56. Or even...



I think they did get it up to 54, but they used to count only 2 QBs (or 3, if a team carried 4) on the total, but now all the QBs on the roster will count towards the total. The only way a team really has one more roster spot is if it carries only 2 QBs all year, and that'd be risky.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
adamq


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 7801
Location: Missouri
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I can't find anything on it anything on it, swore it came up in FFMD though.. Maybe what I'm thinking about is when they added a spot to the active roster.
_________________

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group