Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fernando Velasco Fan Club - One Lineman, One Legend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
Amano is > Valesco
Hell maybe people would see the lockout hurt Amano worse that some others

I agree. Everyone needs a "villain", and it seems Titania has united to turn Amano into villain #1 on the team. He's not great, but I think he's a good guard playing out of position because of the lack of a true C. I still think if the Titans can bring in a true C, or if Matthews or Velasco could earn that spot and take over this offseason, Amano's move back to his more natural LG position will be huge (upgrading the C position to a true C, and upgrading from Harris to Amano at LG).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:
Amano is > Valesco

I agree. Everyone needs a "villain", and it seems Titania has united to turn Amano into villain #1 on the team. He's not great, but I think he's a good guard playing out of position because of the lack of a true C. I still think if the Titans can bring in a true C, or if Matthews or Velasco could earn that spot and take over this offseason, Amano's move back to his more natural LG position will be huge (upgrading the C position to a true C, and upgrading from Harris to Amano at LG).

He's a villain in the same way Reynoldo Hill and Lamont Thompson were villians: they were terrible, and everyone with eyes could see it.

If Amano starts our first game at center, I will lose a lot of faith in our coaching staff - in the same way that Fisher and co. lost a lot of fans' confidence after their unexplainable faithfulness to terrible veterans like Hill and Thompson.

Deeeeej on the sig.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilky wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:
Amano is > Valesco

He's a villain in the same way Reynoldo Hill and Lamont Thompson were villians: they were terrible, and everyone with eyes could see it.

If Amano starts our first game at center, I will lose a lot of faith in our coaching staff - in the same way that Fisher and co. lost a lot of fans' confidence after their unexplainable faithfulness to terrible veterans like Hill and Thompson.

Was Hill ever really a villain? I thought fans liked him... the overachiever squares liked to root for over Pac...

Lamont Thompson was horrible, but all of us (yes, including me) were calling for him before he replaced Schulters... and quickly called for his dread locked head as soon as the change happened.

I put Amano more in the Nickey category. People loved to hate him, calling him out for his defense. But he wasn't a safety... he was a team leader who excelled on STs. Amano was a good guard... was on the line that blocked for a 2000 yard rusher. The coaches thought he could transition to C, but that hasn't gone smoothly. They're trying to fix the issue... but the issue, at least to me, isn't Amano as a player. It's Amano as a C, and the lack of any replacement on the roster.

Last offseason was hard, as it was difficult to find any real replacements in the shortened offseason. Maybe the team believes that with another full offseason, Amano is better than any of the FA's that were left after the top 2 were gone? Maybe they are confident in the other guys on the roster stepping up and into the C role, allowing Amano to go back to G?

We don't know what they're thinking, but the staff has done a really good job in most of their projects on the Oline before, and could still see improvement (or ability to get back to his 07-09 levels)in Amano in some way or another.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amano is a serviceable guard, I wouldn't call him good. and he won't be moving to LG. That position I'm sure is reserved for Hutch.

Sorry to break it to people but I think the plan is for Amano to start the season at C. Velasco could beat him out, there's a chance, and I think he''l get to compete. However if they truly serious about replacing Amano. I think they would have made a serious move to do so by now. Yea C-list guys like Faine and Jackson are still available, but IMO, the reason why they're still available is because they were probably playing like Amano with there last teams.

**RIP Steve McNair**
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eugene Amano is horrible.

Period.

I've never really understood why certain people refuse to acknowledge just how bad he has been for us, and this attitude that he wasn't a bad guard seems to be people wanting to believe that he couldn't possibly be as terrible at guard as he is at center. He was, at his best, a below average guard, and at his worst, horrible.

Let's put it this way, he was Leroy Harris in his guard days. Except, instead of being stuck next to walking garbage at center like Harris has been forced to do, he was on a line with three elite players and a veteran center that had far more value to the overall line than many of us wanted to admit when he was here.

Do I know that Velasco will be elite? Certainly not. Do I know that he will be better than Amano? Yes. Because it is not possible for him to be worse than him. For as good as our offensive line has been pass blocking over the last five years, nothing I've seen from Velasco has indicated that he would cause a drop in that area while everything I've seen during Amano's career and Velasco's limited playing time has indicated that our run blocking would be much better off by getting the turnstile off the field.

This fear that, because of the past, that the younger player that everyone calls for will step in and be worse just doesn't work in this case because we're playing the worst starting center in football.

Change is needed. It's becoming clear that we're not going to bring in a new face, which leads me to believe that Velasco or Matthews is being penciled in. Time for everybody to pick their favorite and hop on the bandwagon. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Eugene Amano is horrible.

Period.

I've never really understood why certain people refuse to acknowledge just how bad he has been for us, and this attitude that he wasn't a bad guard seems to be people wanting to believe that he couldn't possibly be as terrible at guard as he is at center. He was, at his best, a below average guard, and at his worst, horrible.

Let's put it this way, he was Leroy Harris in his guard days. Except, instead of being stuck next to walking garbage at center like Harris has been forced to do, he was on a line with three elite players and a veteran center that had far more value to the overall line than many of us wanted to admit when he was here.

Do I know that Velasco will be elite? Certainly not. Do I know that he will be better than Amano? Yes. Because it is not possible for him to be worse than him. For as good as our offensive line has been pass blocking over the last five years, nothing I've seen from Velasco has indicated that he would cause a drop in that area while everything I've seen during Amano's career and Velasco's limited playing time has indicated that our run blocking would be much better off by getting the turnstile off the field.

This fear that, because of the past, that the younger player that everyone calls for will step in and be worse just doesn't work in this case because we're playing the worst starting center in football.

Change is needed. It's becoming clear that we're not going to bring in a new face, which leads me to believe that Velasco or Matthews is being penciled in. Time for everybody to pick their favorite and hop on the bandwagon. Laughing

...and the numbers bear that out. He's terrible, plain and simple. I don't think Vlasco or Matthews either one will turn out to be world beaters by any stretch (unfortunately), but you are right: it would be almost humanly impossible for them to be worse.

Deeeeej on the sig.
MrOneWayRoad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:
Amano is > Valesco

Amano was never a good guard. He was below average at best.

EDIT: Nvm, titans0021 summed it up pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, with all these phony fan clubs making appearances, this one must remain at the top. Vlachos? There's only room for one man with a V in his last name on our starting offensive line, and his first name sure as hell isn't William.

Kevin Matthews. What?

Just look at the numbers, look at the biceps, and look at the greatness of Velasco. The man does everything right.

Oh, and he also plays the guitar.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that Amano is soooooo bad that he still has the starting job because the other guys are better. Or better yet, its blackmail. Some of you, are just Laughing

2014 Adopt a Titan: Bernard Pollard #31
Finnerception

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the notion that because Chris Johnson had 2,000 yards with him at guard, that makes him a good guard. No, that means CJ, Hall, and the other 4 guys on the line were so good that they disguised the weakness we had at left guard. Watch some of his big plays that year.. a good portion of them you'll catch Amano blocking nobody, getting mauled into the ground, or getting in CJ's way.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
I am sure that Amano is soooooo bad that he still has the starting job because the other guys are better. Or better yet, its blackmail. Some of you, are just Laughing
Yes, because never, in the history of the NFL, has there been a backup that has been better than a starter. Jake Locker was a better option at the end of the year than Matt Hasselbeck. Colin McCarthy is better than Barrett Ruud, yet it took an injury for him to finally supplant him. Michael Griffin was a better safety than Lamont Thompson from the second he put on a Titans jersey.

And Fernando Velasco is a better football player than Eugene Amano.

You know, I understand this idea that Munch knows better than us because he's a HOF offensive lineman, but then I look at his recent track record. Name me one true success story over the last six years. Roos and Stewart are great (starting since 05) but outside of them, our two best offensive lineman have been Kevin Mawae and Jake Scott.

Since drafting Roos and Stewart, we have selected...Daniel Loper, Leroy Harris, Mike Otto, Troy Kropog, Ryan Durand.

Five years ago, sure I would have agreed that maybe we were the best in the league at developing offensive lineman. Today, it's just not true anymore.

But, I digree. I've watched enough football to see Amano exactly for what he is and I'm still pretty baffled at the few people that have managed to stay on the bandwagon. I have as much faith in our coaching staff and front office as any one in this forum, but that doesn't mean that they are perfect. Amano is a mistake that has stuck around way too long and has done damage to this team nearly every year he has been a starter. It is not a coincidence that the overall play of our offensive line took a significant step backwards after he took over Mawae.

And I get it, we have a great pass-blocking line. But really, are we going to give Amano credit for that. When you have far and away the best tackle duo in the league, a tandem that can eliminate edge rushers on almost a weekly bases, it's really not that difficult for the interior to not give up a crazy amount of sacks.

Is Fernando Velasco the future at guard? I think he might be but that's not a guarantee. What I do know is that he can't be worse than the garbage we have had snapping the ball over the last two seasons.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sig bet time...
I sig bet anyone on this forum, that if Amano starts game 1 this year, he WILL make the pro bowl, or at least be selected for it if its not played.

ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
Sig bet time...
I sig bet anyone on this forum, that if Amano starts game 1 this year, he WILL make the pro bowl, or at least be selected for it if its not played.

Laughing Is this serious?
VYoung10

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:
Sig bet time...

Laughing Is this serious?

I don't need your mockery. Either accept it or don't.

titans0021

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
Sig bet time...
I would make this bet, but as the founder of the Fernando Velasco Fan Club, I refuse to acknowledge the possibility that Amano starts game 1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: