Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Baltimore Ravens UDFA Tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ceejay


Joined: 27 Oct 2005
Posts: 3133
Location: Toronto, Ontario Canada
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I have a feeling that Diehl is going to be a a fan fav to make the team. What a beast!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Stance Punk


Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 1602
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we could find a place for Diehl on special teams at least
_________________


Last edited by Stance Punk on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcfields


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 716
Location: Coral Springs, FL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the deals won't become official until the player passes a physical and signs his contract, the Ravens have agreed to terms with the following 21 players: Kent State center Chris Anzevino, Florida quarterback John Brantley, North Carolina cornerback Charles Brown, Morgan State tight end-H back Lamont Bryant, Mississippi State offensive lineman James Carmon, Illinois offensive lineman Jack Cornell, Clemson fullback Chad Diehl, Georgia fullback Bruce Figgins, Slippery Rock wide receiver Devin Goda, Syracuse wide receiver Dorian Graham, Alabama-Birmingham defensive tackle Elliott Henigan, Baylor defensive tackle Nick Jean-Baptiste, Tennessee fullback-linebacker Austin Johnson, Kent State defensive tackle Ishmaa'ily Kitchen, Clemson offensive lineman Antoine McClain, Alabama offensive lineman Alfred McCullough, Syracuse tight end Nick Provo, Wake Forest safety Cyhl Quarles, Western Kentucky running back Bobby Rainey and Florida wide receiver Deonte Thompson and Texas kicker Justin Tucker.

Last edited by dcfields on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcfields


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 716
Location: Coral Springs, FL
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Diehl. I'd like to see him finish the play on his feet. He's a thumper but he tends to launch himself. No second block. I think he would be great on special teams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7180
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012-nfl-undrafted-free-agents

Quote:
John Brantley, QB, Florida
Charles Brown, CB, UNC
Austin Johnson, LB, Tennessee
Chyl Quarles, SAF, Wake Forest
Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor
Deonte Thompson, WR, Florida
Nick Provo, TE, Syracuse
Devin Goda, WR, Slippery Rock
Chris Anzevino, C, Kent State
Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson
Antoine McClain, OL, Clemson
Bruce Figgins, FB, UGA
Bobby Rainey, RB, Western Kentucky
Jack Cornell, OG/OT, Illinois
Ishmaa’ily Kitchen, DT, Kent St
Elliot Henigan, DT, UAB
Alfred McCullough, OL, Alabama
Dorian Graham, WR, Syracuse
James Carmon OL Mississippi State
Justin Tucker, K, Texas


That's the full list so far. Seems like a lot but with the rosters being expanded before the cuts this was to be expected. I think we could see a few of these guys make the roster this year. The Ravens don't have much cap space to sign any other free agents that might get cut and they need some depth to round out the roster. Of course some of the practice squad guys that the team retained could fill those spots just as easily so we'll see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
drd23


Moderator
Joined: 26 Oct 2010
Posts: 5110
Location: Melbourne, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The players I'm most interested in following in Training Camp and seeing how they do in pre-season of those UDFAs are:

- Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor > He probably has a real chance at making the roster as the back-up NT. He was probably the 4th or 5th best 3-4 NT eligible for the draft

- Bobby Rainey RB WKU > From what I've read and seen, he is kinda like a poor man's Ray Rice (he has a similar build too), but he'll struggle to make the final roster unless we carry 4 RBs + Vonta Leach

- Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson > Another not likely to make the final 53, but it sure will be fun to watch him lead block Very Happy

- Charles Brown CB UNC > Just to see if he can do this again
_________________

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7180
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think Jean-Baptiste or Kitchen have a real shot at making the roster due to the lack of depth along the defensive line. There isn't anybody that can backup Cody besides Ngata and I don't thin that's a good situation to be in. Quarles might provide some competition for a safety spot. I really hope Diehl finds a way to stick around, but having two pure blocking fullbacks on the roster doesn't seem likely. Of course the ability to play on special teams helps his case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12970
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Yeah I think Jean-Baptiste or Kitchen have a real shot at making the roster due to the lack of depth along the defensive line. There isn't anybody that can backup Cody besides Ngata and I don't thin that's a good situation to be in. Quarles might provide some competition for a safety spot. I really hope Diehl finds a way to stick around, but having two pure blocking fullbacks on the roster doesn't seem likely. Of course the ability to play on special teams helps his case.

Well we are also in need of a blocking TE and Diehl is only 3/8" shorter than Kris Wilson- a guy we used in that capacity and a guy that Cameron obviously had an affinity for. So I think if we look at this from the perspective that it's very common for a team to carry 4 players from the TE/FB position... then factored in with Diehl's ability to possibly be a factor on our return units (and perhaps coverage units)... and you have a guy that's very interesting and that would be VERY difficult to turn away from the roster. I think the key with Diehl will be displaying that versatility to be able to play the FB and TE positions.

Also with FB being such a violent position, it can only be a good thing to have a very good option backing up your incredibly good option. Diehl looks like he could potentially be our FB of the future.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12970
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
The players I'm most interested in following in Training Camp and seeing how they do in pre-season of those UDFAs are:

- Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor > He probably has a real chance at making the roster as the back-up NT. He was probably the 4th or 5th best 3-4 NT eligible for the draft

- Bobby Rainey RB WKU > From what I've read and seen, he is kinda like a poor man's Ray Rice (he has a similar build too), but he'll struggle to make the final roster unless we carry 4 RBs + Vonta Leach

- Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson > Another not likely to make the final 53, but it sure will be fun to watch him lead block Very Happy

- Charles Brown CB UNC > Just to see if he can do this again

I agree with this list. I think NJB definitely makes the roster. Our depth along the DL is pretty non-existent at this point. And we need to start developing a few guys for depth- I think he fits the bill. As long as he can stay healthy, I like his ability to make the squad.

With Rainey, I don't think he makes the team, but I think he'd be a good option to stash away on the practice squad over the former Miami RB. He's a more explosive option. Diehl like I mentioned above, I think he also makes the team and becomes a fan favorite on top of that.

Brown is probably another practice squad guy. Making the squad over Asa Jackson will be near impossible due to T-Mim's return ability and overall solid cornerback skills. Then you factor in a veteran like Danny Gorrer and Chykie Brown... But who knows, I think Asa Jackson safely makes the squad behind Webb, Smith, Williams... and you have to figure Graham makes it for his special teams ability... so Jackson will probably be in the same area on the depth chart as Graham- initially at least. I think there's one more spot there for Gorrer/Chykie Brown/other... perhaps Charles Brown comes in and surprises... but even then I'd find it difficult for the team to turn away both Gorrer and Chykie for an UDFA option.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7180
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Well we are also in need of a blocking TE and Diehl is only 3/8" shorter than Kris Wilson- a guy we used in that capacity and a guy that Cameron obviously had an affinity for. So I think if we look at this from the perspective that it's very common for a team to carry 4 players from the TE/FB position... then factored in with Diehl's ability to possibly be a factor on our return units (and perhaps coverage units)... and you have a guy that's very interesting and that would be VERY difficult to turn away from the roster. I think the key with Diehl will be displaying that versatility to be able to play the FB and TE positions.

Also with FB being such a violent position, it can only be a good thing to have a very good option backing up your incredibly good option. Diehl looks like he could potentially be our FB of the future.


I thought about that since the Ravens didn't draft or sign a rookie blocking TE. Any reason to keep Diehl on the roster is a good one in my opinion. Cool I didn't realize Wilson was a shorter guy either. Blocking from the TE spot isn't quite the same though so we'll have to see what the team plans on doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34762
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really bummed you guys, all of teams, (Wink) grabbed Devin Goda. I know that kid. I grew up playing baseball with him; went to high school with him too.

He used to be small, but around his senior year of high school he started to grow. He's huge now (6'3" 230 lbs.)

I really, really hope he pulls through. He's got good speed and a great vertical. Talked to his brother at the gym recently and he'd been getting some serious attention from NFL scouts long before the draft. He's far from a trouble maker and is a very stand up kind of guy.

Basically, if Harbaugh says "You screwed up, do it this way next time or else" He'd look you in the eyes and be like "Alright coach" and wouldn't complain one bit.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12970
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Really bummed you guys, all of teams, (Wink) grabbed Devin Goda. I know that kid. I grew up playing baseball with him; went to high school with him too.

He used to be small, but around his senior year of high school he started to grow. He's huge now (6'3" 230 lbs.)

I really, really hope he pulls through. He's got good speed and a great vertical. Talked to his brother at the gym recently and he'd been getting some serious attention from NFL scouts long before the draft. He's far from a trouble maker and is a very stand up kind of guy.

Basically, if Harbaugh says "You screwed up, do it this way next time or else" He'd look you in the eyes and be like "Alright coach" and wouldn't complain one bit.

Well you know what they say, "if you can't beat them, join them..." Wink

But seriously I definitely love this signing. He has the potential you look for and has the size that we need. I'm interested in seeing how the battle for our #3 WR shakes out. You have last years undrafted standout in LaQuan Williams, last years 4th round guy in Tandon Doss, this years 6th round pick Tommy Streeter, and the two UDFA guys one being the Jedi Goda...

You have any info on Goda's special teams prowess? Could be key in him making the team.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
steelcurtain29


Moderator
Joined: 04 Oct 2007
Posts: 34762
Location: Monongahela, PA
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure to be honest. I doubt he'd return. Like I said, he used to be smaller and quicker. Not saying he doesn't have speed anymore, but I can't see him being that return type.

He was pretty strong from when I saw him in high school. I remember his senior year he won the game off a beautifully run fade route to the corner of the end zone and even with two defenders holding him down he still was strong enough to reach up and pull the ball in for a game winning TD.

I'd be shocked if he gave the coaching staff any signs of trouble or slacking off. Like I said, from what his brother told me, he was working on his breaking in and out of routes after knowing NFL scouts were following him earlier this year.
_________________
3DS Friend Code
4038-6129-7897
Pokemon X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ Raven


Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 2357
Location: NewJersey
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say Brantley makes the team. I like his game & he was in a mess of a situation at Florida post-Tebow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7180
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brantley will be the designated practice squad QB this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group