Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Draft Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Ratliff situation, I think he's much better at the point of attack than people give him credit for. He regularly overpowers opposing centers in spite of weighing 20-30 pounds less. However, his ability as a pass rusher has clearly diminished the past few years, and I do think it's probably from the wear and tear of double teams. I think he's still acceptable at nose but he can't play there forever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
On the Ratliff situation, I think he's much better at the point of attack than people give him credit for. He regularly overpowers opposing centers in spite of weighing 20-30 pounds less. However, his ability as a pass rusher has clearly diminished the past few years, and I do think it's probably from the wear and tear of double teams. I think he's still acceptable at nose but he can't play there forever.

IMO, "can't play there forever" should start now. The last 2 years he has worn himself out at the end of games and is practically useless in December. I have a strong feeling we will regret not getting either Ta'amu or Chapman.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently

Last edited by The_Slamman on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
So much for "Romo Friendly."

The most "Romo Friendly" thing that could be done by the Dallas Cowboys is significantly improve the defense.

I think Romo would disagree. I think Romo would say that the most Romo friendly thing that could have be done would be getting somebody who would protect him from punctured lungs and broken collar bones.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

The most "Romo Friendly" thing that could be done by the Dallas Cowboys is significantly improve the defense.

I think Romo would disagree. I think Romo would say that the most Romo friendly thing that could have be done would be getting somebody who would protect him from punctured lungs and broken collar bones.

Well youre wrong then Wink

Romo himself said a few days ago that he wants us to take who ever is the best player to make the team player... And I am pretty sure he even said something like "If that player is a corner back, I hope we draft the cornerback".
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Well youre wrong then Wink

Romo himself said a few days ago that he wants us to take who ever is the best player to make the team player... And I am pretty sure he even said something like "If that player is a corner back, I hope we draft the cornerback".

Really, what do you expect him to say??? Personally, I think it would be hilarious if he told the truth and said Phil Costa sucked and can't tell the difference between his voice and redskins defense. Or, that the OL actually improved when Montrae Holland played LG but that is not a compliment to Holland. Or, that the 2 new guys played below average last year and both of those teams felt it was necessary to upgrade their positions early in the draft. Think about that. The Bengals replace their trash with a first round pick. Carolina replaced their trash with a second round pick. We got their trash and didn't upgrade it at all.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Or, that the 2 new guys played below average last year and both of those teams felt it was necessary to upgrade their positions early in the draft. Think about that. The Bengals replace their trash with a first round pick. Carolina replaced their trash with a second round pick. We got their trash and didn't upgrade it at all.

And if we spin their straw into gold (like we did with Kosier and Colombo for a few years)?
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Or, that the 2 new guys played below average last year and both of those teams felt it was necessary to upgrade their positions early in the draft. Think about that. The Bengals replace their trash with a first round pick. Carolina replaced their trash with a second round pick. We got their trash and didn't upgrade it at all.

And if we spin their straw into gold (like we did with Kosier and Colombo for a few years)?

Anything's possible, right? But, I have a feeling that no matter how much you polish a turd, at the end of the day, it's probably still going to be a turd. And, I don't know why you are so excited about Colombo and Kosier. Those 2 weren't good enough to help keep Romo upright against the Giants in 07 or against the Vikings in 09. Do you really want to hang your hat on those guys as being team saviors?

Seriously, when I say "Phil Costa, Nate Living and Mackenzy Bernadeau" does anybody really think... "finally an OL to compete with the Giants DL!!! Yes!"?

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
acowboys62

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Exactly, our offense was not even close to the problem last year. Holding leads was.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

acowboys62 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Exactly, our offense was not even close to the problem last year. Holding leads was.

In 3 of the last 5 games, Dallas scored 13, 7 and 14 points. We lost all 3. We could not convert a first down to preserve a "win" against NYJ, NE and NYG (and probably others). Are you sure that that the offense wasn't "close to the problem?"

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
acowboys62

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
acowboys62 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

In 3 of the last 5 games, Dallas scored 13, 7 and 14 points. We lost all 3. We could not convert a first down to preserve a "win" against NYJ, NE and NYG (and probably others). Are you sure that that the offense wasn't "close to the problem?"

Considering we blew what 5 4th quarter leads? The amount of points we scored is irrelevant if we have the lead. Would you like to blame a blown lead on the offense as well?

Set franchise records for the amount we let opponents put up in come backs. That is on the defense.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

acowboys62 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
acowboys62 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Considering we blew what 5 4th quarter leads? The amount of points we scored is irrelevant if we have the lead. Would you like to blame a blown lead on the offense as well?

Set franchise records for the amount we let opponents put up in come backs. That is on the defense.

Yeah, I do put a lot of that on the offense. The best way to secure a win is to run out the clock. If we have the ball the other team can't score. We gotta convert first downs when we have the lead. Really, that's one of the things that made the cowboys of the 90s great.

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
boysday23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of last season, when the playoffs where on the line and DeMarco was out, we simply couldn't close out games. I think it works both ways in that the defense needs to do its job by not letting offenses score on every. Single. Drive in the 4th quarter. But, our offense needed to help out our defense that clearly couldn't close out games by having a strong running game, which we just didn't have. Stopping teams in the 4th has been and will continue to be a huge emphasis this offseason, and something to watch for next season.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is arguing that the o-line didn't need help. And I agree that Kosier and Colombo were not the saviors of the world... but they were both very solid for a few years, which is all we need out of Bernardeaux and Livings.
acowboys62

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
acowboys62 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
acowboys62 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Yeah, I do put a lot of that on the offense. The best way to secure a win is to run out the clock. If we have the ball the other team can't score. We gotta convert first downs when we have the lead. Really, that's one of the things that made the cowboys of the 90s great.

The best way to win a game is outscore your opponent. The best way to do that is to stop the other team. This might be a passing league, but the Giants showed once again, defense wins championships.

The offense by default will be better with Austin at full health.

Also, I am not trying to say I am thrilled with our OL, we have our bookends for the next 7-10 years, which is good. But I agree that the middle could have used a better upgrade, but I did not want to sacrifice our defense for that.

I think in the end, our needs from a defensive stand point were much greater than the needs on the OL.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Draft Discussion Thread Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
acowboys62 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: