Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

236th Pick - DeAngelo Tyson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: 236th Pick - DeAngelo Tyson Reply with quote

With the 236th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

DeAngelo Tyson, DT, Georgia

http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/dt/deangelo-tyson/

After the Ravens lost both Brandon McKinney and Cory Redding to the Colts in free agency depth along the DL became a necessity. I have no idea who Tyson is though.
Stance Punk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good at keeping offensive linemen off linebackers I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From NFL.com
Quote:
STRENGTHS Tyson is a big and strong interior force. He can hold up blocks well to keep his linebackers clean. He gives good effort in the open field and displays some athletic ability there. He is strong when locking out against engaged offensive linemen and really impresses when shedding his man. He can get off a block and ignite a powerful step into pursuit. He is a reliable tackler once he reaches the ball carrier.

WEAKNESSES Tyson offers next to nothing as a pass rusher. Although it isn't a high priority to contribute against the pass as an interior lineman, Tyson will be hurt by the fact that he doesn't have much scheme versatility, and as a 3- and 5-technique player he will be relied upon to create some sort of havoc for quarterbacks. He is a long strider and doesn't work well in short areas, which limits his effectiveness against the pass. The major shortcoming in his play is his poor reaction time to plays. He needs to learn how to read the flow of offensive linemen at the next level to be effective when slanting and diagnosing plays.

Basically sounds like a big space eater

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that draft experts and even some posters on this forum thought that a new DE was a big need for this team. Some thought it was a bigger need than OLB.

Personally, I think one of Arthur Jones/Pernell McPhee will be our starter and the other will be a really good backup D-lineman. I think the Ravens are thinking the same thing.

I'm sure this kid will get his chance to rotate in as well.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Upshaw replacing Johnson at OLB I'm more comfortable with McPhee getting more playing time at DE. The run defense won't suffer nearly as much now. I'm still not comfortable with the depth of the DL though. Jones is nice but he hasn't shown anything at all and McPhee was only effective/used as a situational pass-rusher that dropped off late in the year.

As for Tyson, it looks like he's pretty much a space-eater that doesn't provide much else. I read that he's athletic but his technique is all over the place. There wasn't really anybody else left along the DL that I wanted though. At least the team made an attempt at getting some depth at the position.
ceejay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*crickets*

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
With Upshaw replacing Johnson at OLB I'm more comfortable with McPhee getting more playing time at DE. The run defense won't suffer nearly as much now. I'm still not comfortable with the depth of the DL though. Jones is nice but he hasn't shown anything at all and McPhee was only effective/used as a situational pass-rusher that dropped off late in the year.

We'll have to disagree here. Not only am I very impressed with his dedication to his workout regime, but when I've seen him on the field he's been rock-solid in run defense. I think he is the quality space-eater, that people seem to think we need. McPhee would be great replacing him on third down and working his way to the QB.
dawgsfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyson is a big reason for teh success of players like Justin Houston and Jarvis Jones at Georgia. He's a very good run stopper and can push the O line back.

I hope he makes your team, he spent a year playing NT in our 3/4 and wasn' t big enough to do the things we wanted to do. a year later he played DE in the 3/4 and was rock solid. I like him as a DT, again, hope he makes your team.
Dark ops

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall a good pick. As he is just a space-eater or that was what he was asked to do in college, I thank he has a shot at making the roster to add depth to the DL.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

As for Tyson, it looks like he's pretty much a space-eater that doesn't provide much else. I read that he's athletic but his technique is all over the place. There wasn't really anybody else left along the DL that I wanted though. At least the team made an attempt at getting some depth at the position.

Well if this is true, then he could end up turning out to be a pretty decent player for us moving forward. Clarence Brooks has been really good with developing our DL talent. Brandon McKinney was an UDFA and he developed him into a quality starter option. McPhee should be able to do well as long as his rookie wall, was just that and not teams figuring him out. We can use Tyson's time at depth as time to develop him into a player. Hopefully this will be the year that Arthur Jones finally lives up to the expectations the fans had for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: