Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

60th Pick - Kelechi Osemele
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: 60th Pick - Kelechi Osemele Reply with quote

With the 60th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

Kelechi Osemele, OG, Iowa State

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Kelechi-Osemele.php

http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/og/kelechi-osemele/

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/kelechi-osemele

After the Ravens lost Ben Grubbs in free agency this year the LG spot immediately became on of the biggest needs on the team. Osemele was one of the best players left at the position and he will provide an instant boost to the Ravens running game. There are questions about his intangibles as well as his fit in the Ravens zone-blocking system.
Mr. X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate it, Hate it, Hate it, Hate it, Hate it.

He's a LT that has to move to a new position, struggles against pass rushers, and only really shined at the senior bowl. He had doubts about his motivation and he's going to be playing out of position.

He was a secondary level offensive line talent but Ozzie refused to move up in the first and missed out on David DeCastro, passed on guys like Jonathan Martin and Cordy Glenn in the early second round, and stayed put and missed out on Peter Konz and Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin. So now we have a secondary offensive line talent.

So far this draft is an F
drd23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. X wrote:
He's a LT that has to move to a new position, struggles against pass rushers, and only really shined at the senior bowl. He had doubts about his motivation and he's going to be playing out of position.

Shocked What were you watching?

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. X wrote:

He was a secondary level offensive line talent but Ozzie refused to move up in the first and missed out on David DeCastro, passed on guys like Jonathan Martin and Cordy Glenn in the early second round, and stayed put and missed out on Peter Konz and Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin. So now we have a secondary offensive line talent.

You do realize he was first team all Big 12 this past season (and 2nd team in 2009) right? Moving inside to G isn't really a big deal since there's a ton of college lineman who do that once they reach the NFL. There are reasons to not like Osemele (feet, technique, fit if they continue to run a zone blocking system) but all of your reasons aren't it.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Question

Ozzie, April Fool's day was like...27 days ago bro, this is getting ridiculous.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
janky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a guard, so for now I'm content with this pick. I'm excited to see what he does next year.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord. Has anyone seen this?

Kelechi Osemele vs. Oklahoma

Maybe at guard he can be an effective pass blocker because he'll be in a small space and can easily get his hands on defenders with his massive wingspan. And he looks quicker than I remember. But that's several times he is getting driven into the QB or RB by edge rushers. I don't think we got a starter here.

Free Ray Rice
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Maybe at guard he can be an effective pass blocker because he'll be in a small space and can easily get his hands on defenders with his massive wingspan. And he looks quicker than I remember. But that's several times he is getting driven into the QB or RB by edge rushers. I don't think we got a starter here.

He.
Got.
Owned.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. X wrote:

First, it isn't that big a surprise that we took Upshaw before Glenn. He's a better prospect. You can dispute that if you want, but the depth at OL in this draft made this selection a no brainer if it was between those two for the pick.

Second, you don't know that Ozzie didn't try to swing a trade and decided that none of the guys you mentioned was worth what was being asked for in return to move up. We've already made 2 trade in this draft, so to insinuate that he was sitting on his hands is foolish.

Third, if you think Osemele is a secondary level talent but wanted to trade up for Adams, who has demonstrated bad judgement off the field and, quite frankly, isn't that great on it either, I have to believe that your judgement is severely clouded.

Fourth, Martin is a good player, but he needed to go to a place where he can maximize his talents--Baltimore isn't that place because he's a horrible fit here at LT and is too soft to play G in any blocking scheme.

In sum, I'm really not sure what your complaint actually is.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

He.
Got.
Owned.

Irrelevant. He's not playing left tackle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

He.
Got.
Owned.

Irrelevant. He's not playing left tackle.

I was looking more towards how he fared against those interior pass rushers (you know, since he's going to be playing Guard for us).

Just didn't look strong enough to handle it. Now, that may have been because of the difficult down blocking he was doing, but still, he just got owned.

BlaqOptic wrote:
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that video wasn't very flattering. It's hard to a strong opinion off of that though because there isn't anything to compare it to. However you can tell his technique and footwork both need to be improved and for that it doesn't matter where he's playing. This is my least favorite Ravens pick so far, but he was the best OL left on the board so it's hard to argue against it.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Yeah that video wasn't very flattering. It's hard to a strong opinion off of that though because there isn't anything to compare it to. However you can tell his technique and footwork both need to be improved and for that it doesn't matter where he's playing. This is my least favorite Ravens pick so far, but he was the best OL left on the board so it's hard to argue against it.

That video is also from 2010, against one of the best defenses he ever played against. I don't want to minimize the mistakes, but he was the best talent on the field for Iowa St, so he didn't have a lot of help either.

The biggest thing I noticed on that video is that he needs to stay on his feet and stop diving into defenders. He was the biggest guy on the field and kept trying to cut block people...that had to be the way he was coached at ISU because it happened too often.
b-rave11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Ozzie newsome and company are better at evaluating talent then all of us combined so we should probably all just shut our mouths and accept the fact that Ozzie will pick more good players then we ever could.

I used to get really pissed when the Ravens picked someone who I didn't want. Flacco over Brohm? nonsense, delaware is a joke. picking jimmy smith when we had no pass rush opposite Suggs? OMG ozzie do you actually ever look at our needs? This year...not trading up for Decastro? Couldn't have picked a worse time to trade down.

Most of the time I am wrong, so I am going to put my trust in ozzie that this guy will be a good guard for us.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

That video is also from 2010, against one of the best defenses he ever played against. I don't want to minimize the mistakes, but he was the best talent on the field for Iowa St, so he didn't have a lot of help either.

The biggest thing I noticed on that video is that he needs to stay on his feet and stop diving into defenders. He was the biggest guy on the field and kept trying to cut block people...that had to be the way he was coached at ISU because it happened too often.

Good point, I forgot about that. I agree with not having try and cut-block so much. That might have been what the staff wanted him to do though, it's hard to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: