Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With pick #134, MINN selects - Greg Childs [WR] ARK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Childs: "I'm not concerned about the knee problem at all. I'm 100 percent, full throttle, no slowing down."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/42387/rookie-buzz-vikings-greg-childs

Last thing the Vikes need is another tall injury prone receiver, with high potential.

Hopefully this knee injury is truly behind him, nor do i consider Childs injury prone, but this is the type of injury that could cause problems down the road if not properly healed.

Given that Childs has had almost two years to receover, he should be good to go. I have high hopes for him developing into a #1, he ha is the prototype. Big, tall, athletic and good ball skills.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Childs, the injury that he had really takes about two years to fully recover from. It's not an easy injury to come back right away, and like most knee injuries you don't really trust that knee either. I really think he was on his way to becoming a really good player before that injury.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Childs: "I'm not concerned about the knee problem at all. I'm 100 percent, full throttle, no slowing down."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/42387/rookie-buzz-vikings-greg-childs

Last thing the Vikes need is another tall injury prone receiver, with high potential.

Hopefully this knee injury is truly behind him, nor do i consider Childs injury prone, but this is the type of injury that could cause problems down the road if not properly healed.

Given that Childs has had almost two years to receover, he should be good to go. I have high hopes for him developing into a #1, he ha is the prototype. Big, tall, athletic and good ball skills.

I'd love to see Greg develop into a #1 WR. Wouldn't it be something if started the first 3 games Simpson is out, and puts up some big numbers early in his career? We need all the help we can get. Very Happy

Hopefully done the road, people recognize Childs as a huge steal in the 4th round.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Swaps

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

It's hard to call him "injury prone."

It's his first *real* injury in his career. And it's not like it was a fluke injury, have you seen the video? Everybody's knee would've popped if they had that happen to them.

"the more I like you, the more I want to smash your face into the ground." -- Jared Allen
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swaps wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

It's his first *real* injury in his career. And it's not like it was a fluke injury, have you seen the video? Everybody's knee would've popped if they had that happen to them.

I didnt call Childs injury prone. I said, last thing the team needs is another tall injury prone WR (taking a shot at Rice). I wasnt implying Childs as injury prone either, but any injury to the knee is a huge red flag and there could always be potential for the injury to flare up again.
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Swaps wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I didnt call Childs injury prone. I said, last thing the team needs is another tall injury prone WR (taking a shot at Rice). I wasnt implying Childs as injury prone either, but any injury to the knee is a huge red flag and there could always be potential for the injury to flare up again.
from everything I've heard this is an injury that shouldn't lead to future risks like a torn acl would.. I've read that once its duly healed it shouldn't be cause for concern of a repeat
Heavydan85

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Childs in my rookie draft in a dynasty league...so he's pretty much going to blow up for 30 points week as long as i don't play him...you are all welcome.

Thanks to Jgoldiscool for the sig
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Viking wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Swaps wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

from everything I've heard this is an injury that shouldn't lead to future risks like a torn acl would.. I've read that once its duly healed it shouldn't be cause for concern of a repeat

It's kind of funny, but I suffered nearly the same injury, if not worse, when I was in high school. Not only did I completely tear my patellar tendon, but when it tore, it broke off a huge hunk of bone from my tibia. It required major surgery, plates, and screws to fix it all. I hurt myself during two-a-days, and after rehabing for several months, I attempted to get back on the field way too soon. I started jogging months too early with thoughts of somehow getting back on the field that same season, let alone the next year like Childs did. I suffered my injury in late 2006, and I did not feel that my knee was truely healed and 100% until maybe 2009. A lot of this has to do with me not recovering correctly, and not being as focused as a professional athlete.

All this being said, I understand why Childs wanted to come back and play before he should have. I understand why he struggled in his first year back. Since he knows and recognized what he did wrong, and that he has taken the steps to recover properly, I now believe that when he says he is 100% that he is. Everything that I was told by my surgeon led me to believe that not only would I not be any more succeptible to other injuries from my injury, but that once all was said and done, my patellar tendon would be even more durable than before.

If Childs is truely healed, then we should not have to consider him injury prone, an injury liability, or anything of the sort. If he plays up to his potential, we absolutely will have a steal.

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
milanb

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same type of injury that more or less ended Cadillac Williams' career.

Which is probably why Childs lasted until the 4th Round.

Confused

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
This is the same type of injury that more or less ended Cadillac Williams' career.

Confused

I thought he had more than 1 injury?

1 after his rookie year, and then another, 1-2 years down the road?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
JMac79

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:

Confused

Well if I remember correctly, Cadillac Williams also suffered a few different serious injuries during his NFL career, to the point where he was labeled as "injury prone." I'm guessing it was more of a cumulative effect for him - having suffered multiple, serious injuries to his legs - than one particular type of injury that brought his NFL career to an early close.

I'm guessing that it was primarily the injury that caused Childs to slide to the 4th, but coming back too early and Arkansas having two other NFL-caliber WRs probably also hurt his stock as well. It's hard enough to be productive when playing at 75-80% strength, and even more so when your team has two other healthy, good WRs (Jarius Wright and Joe Adams) asking for the ball as well. Doesn't exactly create a scenario in which Childs could showcase what he could do, even if he was slowed by injury.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can largely fault the injury for Childs slide, however, I do agree that if he was more productive in 2011, he would have been selected higher despite the injury in 2010. However, given the nature of the injury, its plausible that he wasnt truly 100% to be in position to have a good year. I was never that high on Childs during the draft process, but i've warmed up to him.

He compares favorably to Dwayne Bowe. Its really a boom or bust type of pick, with little downside since he was a late 4th rd pick. If Childs never returns to his pre-injury form, being out a 4th rd pick isnt a big deal, rather than spending an early pick on a WR, which seems to be risky. If Childs does pan out, and can develop into a Dwayne Bowe like #1 WR, MN quite possibly got the steal of the draft.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like Childs.

guy's got a great skill package, and now has an attitude.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was picked in the 4th, he's obviously not regarded as a ''sure thing''.

But that's ok, because he does have great potential.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
He was picked in the 4th, he's obviously not regarded as a ''sure thing''.

But that's ok, because he does have great potential.

This is exactly why I wanted the Vikes to hold off on drafting a WR early. Its such a hard position to forecast to the next level, where every year there always seems to be some 4th or 5th round gem that really becomes a good player. It was a deep WR class to begin with, so it only added to the likely depth available in round 4. Its the ultimate low risk high reward type of selection, opposite of taking a WR in round 1. Childs is essentially a round 1 talent if we are evaluating his 2010 play, but the big question will be if Childs can get back to that form. Id truly love to see a trio of Harvin, Childs and Wright for the future. That would be a great mixture of size, speed and explosiveness, with Harvin as the primary #2 receiver and Wright in the slot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: