Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which player will you be keeping an eye on in OTAs/Camp?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Which player will you be keeping an eye on in OTAs/Camp? Reply with quote

If you could pick one specific player (okay you can pick a couple) who you will be watching closely up until the regular season, who would it be? Try to avoid rookies, unless you have a reason other than "He's a new guy so I wanna see him."

For me, it's Davon House. In the draft last year, people were saying he could go as high as the 2nd round, so when we got him in the 4th I was ecstatic. He started out camp very strong IIRC, and then was hobbled by injuries. I think with a full offseason and training camp this year he could potentially challenge Shields for the nickel spot. If he plays well enough and the staff feels they want to move Woodson to full time safety, I think he could take over at #2, with Shields being better fitted for the slot IMO. This is all assuming he takes a big step forward of course, which isn't out of the question.

What say you?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House is a good pick but if I had to pick one guy I think mine would be Derek Sherrod. How does he look after his broken leg? Is he able to do all of the drills that he missed last year due to strike? Will he show improvement in preseason because he sure didn't look ready for prime time last year. I know this kid has a big upside and he needs to step up this year.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan Burnett.

There's a void of safety talent across the NFL and I'm hoping Burnett moves himself into the upper echelon this season. Hoping to see him flash in T.C. and take it upon himself to help replace Collins.

This will be his first real offseason and I really hope he takes advantage of it.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned after going to several practices each year NOT to look for one person in any one practice. What player to watch on any particular practice has to be based on where I am viewing from, what position group is doing what and what the focus of that practice is.
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have learned after going to several practices each year NOT to look for one person in any one practice. What player to watch on any particular practice has to be based on where I am viewing from, what position group is doing what and what the focus of that practice is.

I meant "keeping an eye" in a more figurative manner. More like "Which player are you most interested in seeing how he performs in OTAs/Camp".

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offense- Alex Green.
Really hoping he will shake off the injury and make strides this season. Maybe im a little higher on Green than some, but I truly think he could be a force at RB for us either this season or next. For all the talk of how Green is a "3rd down RB only" it's curious how TT took a chance on him in the 3rd round.

Defense- A.J. Hawk.
He regressed last season, and partially because of the Dline IMO. Looking forward to seeing how he does. It should be interesting seeing how plays knowing Smith and Manning are right behind him, pushing him. I wonder if he can prove anything here on out or at the very least live up to his contract. I know our fanbase and 98% of the posters on here gave up on him but I dont think it's too late for this guy.

Special Teams- Shaky Smithson.
"Oh yeah, I forgot about him"
Smithson was one of my favorite UDFA signings last season and while he didnt show enough to warrant a roster spot, TT stashed him on the IR with Guy because of potential he saw. Smithson is a good return man and if Cobb goes down *knock on wood* i think he's one of our best options returning. I don't see him making the roster at the 6th WR spot over players like Gurley, Borel, Moss... etc, but maybe we could hide him on the PS for one more season to see how he pans out.
GBPack_92

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ Coleman. I have never been this in love with a 7th

Some people just want to watch the world burn Sad
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be really curious to see how Mike Neal looks. I still have some hopes that he can turn out to be a good player, and he's supposedly showing no effects of the injury that slowed him when he was on the field last year. If he can come in fresh after his 4 game suspension and add to the pass rush it would be huge for the team.
British

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see House - high hopes there (although not sure why you like Shields in the slot. His elite top end speed seems to scream boundary corner to me. Hayward seems made for the slot).

Gurley: Was a much sought after UDFA that many thought would be drafted. Offers something none of our current WRs have - can't teach height. The top brass liked him enough to keep him around last year and WR is an easier position than some to assess from behind the TV screen.

Guy: Another guy who went lower than expected in the draft. Has some size about him and the red shirt year must have done him some good. With Hargrove and Neal suspended and Wynn and Wilson underwhelming last year he has am opportunity.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Sherrod - Is he healed and is he ready to be the LT of the next decade? I'm impatient and want to be confident with LT going forward.

Nick Perry - So many questions about him standing up, can he get after the QB this season? Will he show good movement or will stiffness be his downfall?

Randall Cobb - Can he build on the excellent season he had returning last season while doing a better job holding onto the football and still develop as a receiver?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
I'll be really curious to see how Mike Neal looks. I still have some hopes that he can turn out to be a good player.

This.

WAAAYYYYY to many people have given up on Neal. He was drafted in the 2nd for a reason. I think he should surprise some people now, especially with the pressure off of him.

Can you imagine a line with a healthy and productive Neal? Not only does he provide fresh legs for pass rush, but more importantly he's taking time away from a starting trio of Worthy // Raji // Pickett. Can you imagine how a snap hungry Raji and Worthy would play??? Now add in Hargrove // Daniels as rotational players.. and let's throw in Guy/Wynn/Wilson for good measure.

2 things:
- That D is top 5 in the league.
- And I cant wait for next season.

Oh god it's only May.. Crying or Very sad
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! I forgot about Guy. I'm really interested to see how he does as well. I remember he was another guy slated to go much higher than he was drafted.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:
I'll be really curious to see how Mike Neal looks. I still have some hopes that he can turn out to be a good player.

This.

WAAAYYYYY to many people have given up on Neal. He was drafted in the 2nd for a reason. I think he should surprise some people now, especially with the pressure off of him.

Can you imagine a line with a healthy and productive Neal? Not only does he provide fresh legs for pass rush, but more importantly he's taking time away from a starting trio of Worthy // Raji // Pickett. Can you imagine how a snap hungry Raji and Worthy would play??? Now add in Hargrove // Daniels as rotational players.. and let's throw in Guy/Wynn/Wilson for good measure.

2 things:
- That D is top 5 in the league.
- And I cant wait for next season.

Oh god it's only May.. Crying or Very sad

Mike Neal has done nothing to warrant optimism but I am sure all Packer fans hope he is a late bloomer. Too bad we lose Neal for a 1/4 of the season and Hargrove for 1/2 a season. Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson anyone?

I would think the only one you would watch is Kuhn - after all he is in the top 100 NFL players according to the NFL Network.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My expectations for Mike Neal have been greatly tempered by his play and availability the last two seasons, couple that with his suspension and I'm just hoping he can make it as part of the rotation at this point. Also as a third year player that has fooled us before, I'm not putting much into his training camp/preseason play and am holding judgement until he gets on the field during the regular season.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ Williams - i really want him to step up and be more involved. With AQ most likely on PUP, i'd think he'd be the better backup to Finley.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: