Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4th Round (132): Mike Daniels, DE, Iowa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
How the hell did we get this guy? I was thinking late 2nd round with him, brings a lot of power/jolt, versatility. With so many teams switching to 34 fronts and wanting versatility I don't know how this guy slid. I can't wait for mini-camp to see all these cats, unbelievable. Competition is going to be intense.

I absosmurfly love this pick! He's the perfect passing down DL. His flaws (lack of height, bulk) led him to drop, but they also don't matter to us because we don't need him to be an every down 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. He's perfect for us, and a phenomenal value. He could play around 40-50% of the snaps for us if he proves to be a superior interior pass rusher. That is huge value at this point in the draft.

He moves like a 290+lb ILB. I love DL like that.

Last edited by ayt on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenTundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read on JSOnline that this cat used to play RB in HS, got to MiState and put on the Freshman 60, converted to DT.
Think about this guy in a jumbo package with Raji... I like it. McCarthy could call it the "Appliance" package - Freezer and - Oven <?he's short-ish>
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrozenTundra wrote:
Read on JSOnline that this cat used to play RB in HS, got to MiState and put on the Freshman 60, converted to DT.
Think about this guy in a jumbo package with Raji... I like it. McCarthy could call it the "Appliance" package - Freezer and - Oven <?he's short-ish>

Ice Box
FrozenTundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:
Ice Box

nice.
ayt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daintrain28 wrote:
It sounds like this guy is a stud, and I'm glad TT is addressing pass rush, however, there is such a thing as spending too many picks on a position.

We already have Worthy, Hargrove, Neal, Wynn and Guy, meanwhile LDE has one backup in Daniel Muir and there isn't a NT on the roster.

We really could use depth at those potions as well. I think the Worthy pick solidified the RDE spit already...

You are getting way too hung up on RDE and LDE. The difference is miniscule. Worthy can easily play either spot, as can Neal. So can Wilson. Raji and Pickett can also (obviously) play either DE spot.

What could you possibly mean when you say there is no NT on the roster when we have two top flight NTs? /confused
.flash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm happy about, is that this draft (hypothetically) gives us the flexibility to play Pickett at NT, his natural position, imo. This is a great snowball effect, Raji gets spelled by Pickett the NT.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking yesterday that Worthy was gonna take over at LDE maybe Neal could also if he stays healthy and get his head back into football. I know nothing on this guy but a situational pass rusher to share snaps at RDE is a good pick up for us. I like the pick for cause between him, Hargrove, Worthy and a healthy Neal our D-line play should be much improved this year. Someone is bound to break out for us.
TedThompson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealJB wrote:
The more I read about Daniels, the more I see a young Cullen Jenkins. I wouldn't be surprised if he followed a similar path of being a situational rusher who eventually forces his way on the field more and more over the years.

Cullen was undrafted, but I see a little similarity there, but I actually see more similarity in John Randle from Daniels, but I'll take either Very Happy

I love the pick.

The only negative anyone pegs on Michael Daniel is his heighth!
And I think he uses that heighth to his advantage.

PAD LEVEL baby!
He wins it.

I absolutely love Worthy and him there..... Raji and Pickett should stay so much fresher.
Hargrove can get after the passer too from in there.....
Mike Neal and Lawrence Guy aren't needed, but if either of them can get, stay healthy, that's just icing on the cake.

I think CJ Wilson and Jarius Wynn might have a hard time sleeping tonight.
Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so boss. The more I think about it the more excited I get. We had basically zero depth last year on that line. With the way it looks now we can go Giants style and keep rotating. Doing this will not only keep our big men fresh, but also throw different technique and style at the losing teams o-line. This is going to be an amazing year fellas.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedThompson wrote:
The only negative anyone pegs on Michael Daniel is his heighth!
And I think he uses that heighth to his advantage.

The issue with height (and well, length) on a defensive lineman is that it's hard to cover two gaps when you're not tall or long. If you ask Daniels to get up field through a gap, he can excel at that. But it's like a short WR: he may be able to run past people, but he's not going to win a lot of 50/50 balls. There are some things you can ask the player to do who that he will excel at, and there are other things you probably shouldn't ask him to do because he would struggle at them.

But in terms of interior pass rush in the nickel, there's not a lot better in this draft and fourth round picks are worth spending on package players if they can excel in the role you give them.
TedThompson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this guy reminds me a little of John Randle, another former undersized #93 who lined up over the center, and found a way to get thru to QBs quite often.

Randle was undrafted.
But now is enshrined.

Can' imagine Daniels is as funny though.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TedThompson wrote:
Again, this guy reminds me a little of John Randle, another former undersized #93 who lined up over the center, and found a way to get thru to QBs quite often.

Randle was undrafted.
But now is enshrined.

Funny you say that. One of the guys in our room told me "find that boy the right home and he is John Randle". Same mold no doubt. Did not think the Packers would be a player there because of the height. LIS though, at some point the value river will always meet the road draft weekend. One hell of an inside rusher there though. Cox was the only better in the class!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

initally i was extremely disappointed we drafted such a tiny DL. If we were gonna draft a DL with pass rush ability then someone bigger like Malik Jackson would've been fine.

however after seeing the vid of him its obvious he is really good at penetrating inside the pocket and is quick with violent hands. Since we play so much nickle...i guess it would be ok picking him for that specific role.

Like TT i have my own views of the kind of measurables i like to see at 3-4 DE and Daniels totally goes against that viewpoint.

It's interesting to note that after selecting Daniels, Champman and Malik Jackson were picked very soon after.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
TedThompson wrote:

Randle was undrafted.
But now is enshrined.

Funny you say that. One of the guys in our room told me "find that boy the right home and he is John Randle". Same mold no doubt. Did not think the Packers would be a player there because of the height. LIS though, at some point the value river will always meet the road draft weekend. One hell of an inside rusher there though. Cox was the only better in the class!

Yeah, a lot of Randle in there..... although Randle's attitude and tenacity, his crazed-dog persona is much of what made him into a truly great one.

I was already excited as heck to get Worthy onto our DL as I see a lot of Sapp in him there.... now to add a guy like Randle..... to go with adding an Orakpo-clone in Nick Perry at OLB?

If these guys stay healthy, I see our pass defense iproving back to the 2010 season level. Unless we get terrible safety play from whoever starts back there along side Burnett. A great pass rush will make all our DBs look a lot better!
msmre

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Green wrote:
initally i was extremely disappointed we drafted such a tiny DL. If we were gonna draft a DL with pass rush ability then someone bigger like Malik Jackson would've been fine.

Malik Jackson played the year at 270 lbs.
Daniels played the year at 280 lbs.

Did you mean taller?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: