Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With pick #128, MINN selects - Rhett Ellison [TE] USC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kparty69

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
I'm guessing we will carry 5 TE/FB's

Kyle Rudolph
John Carlson
Rhett Ellison
Jerome Felton
Shuler/Reisner/UDFA

I agree. Who is still practice squad elligible between Felton, D'Imperio, Shuler, and Reisner?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Spielman (pressconference), he was all but certain that Rhett Ellison would have been picked right after the Vikings took him:

''I know that he was gonna go right around there for a fact...I got some calls right afterwards''.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
According to Spielman (pressconference), he was all but certain that Rhett Ellison would have been picked right after the Vikings took him:

''I know that he was gonna go right around there for a fact...I got some calls right afterwards''.

this is part of the draft process that we will never understand as fans. we dont know what is gong around the war rooms and cant get a feeling of what other teams are feeling. Ellison may be viewed as an early pick, frankly i would have preferred just to wait until round 6 for this need and see if ELlison or a similar player would be there. Obviously they liked Ellison's versatility and so do i. If carrying Ellison on the final roster means we dont have to give a roster spot to Jerome Felton or Lex Hilliard as FB, that would be great and frankly may be worth the late 4th round pick.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellison's father, Riki Ellison, played on two Super Bowl-winning teams with the San Francisco 49ers during a 10-year NFL career as a linebacker. He was also part of a USC Trojans team that went to the Rose Bowl and won a national championship.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bc724/article/littleknown-facts-about-the-2012-nfl-draft

Riki Ellison is from New Zealand, part Maori, related to two famous rugby players there, and tried to bring US football to NZ. Rhett's sister played for the Univ of Michigan water polo team for three years. athletic family, to say the least.

Rhett received his bachelor's degree in international relations at USC in the spring of 2011 and has begun work on his master's degree in communication management.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
When USC offensive coordinator/running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu started calling tight-end-turned-fullback Rhett Ellison "The Machine," the senior wasn't sure how to react. "I didn't know if it was good or bad," said Ellison. The nickname was nothing more than a descriptor, a simple adjective. And yes, it was a good thing. Because when the season ended, a new award was announced at the Trojan's banquet. It was called the "Trojan Way" Leadership Award, and it too was about to get a new nickname: The Rhett "The Machine" Ellison Leadership Award.

The inaugural recipient, of course, was Ellison himself. "I was shocked," he said. "It didn't make a lot of sense because going into a season, looking back, it definitely wasn't just me [who should be recognized]. "Every one of us is what made this team so special."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1244464/rhett-ellison

Very humble kid. This reaction above is the same he had when he got drafted. "I didnt think I would be drafted!" He either has no idea of his value or he thinks he's lucky. Either way the pedigree is good. Maybe he does turn into a beast. It's more insurance for Ponder and for AP when he gets back. 6'5 250 is a load.

I love the Vikings, win or lose.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good article on Ellison's background:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/150256715.html

Webmaster wrote:
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He impressed at Rookie OTA's from what I read.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've warmed up to this pick. I was just mad because I thought we drafted a FB only in the 4th round, purely to compete with Jerome Felton, Lex Hillard and Ryan D'Imperio.

But knowing he's more of an H-Back with a little FlyingSaucer in him, I like it.

I hope someday he kinda builds into that "Viking grit" look that Jimmy had. Was so awesome!

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Bermuda Viking

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He battled Clay Matthews every day in practice for two seasons and earned respect around the program by the way he approached things. He practically lived in the film room, stayed late after every practice and basically did whatever his coaches asked of him. Even glamour programs need some glue."

Ponder - "Hey Clay... say hello to my little friend..."

I love the Vikings, win or lose.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I canít say heís the most impressive of the rookie minicamp because itís virtually impossible to give equal attention to every player without watching hours of film, but in my eyes FB/TE Rhett Ellison is having as good a few days as anyone. Ellison is billed as a big, physical blocking-type of TE. But as I said on Friday, heís a fluid route runner and smooth pass catcher.

LT Matt Kalil Ė a teammate of Ellisonís at USC Ė spoke very highly of Ellison and described him as a do-everything type of player who is also a great teammate in the locker room. I noticed that Ellison was the last one off the practice field on Saturday morning and spent a few minutes beating up on a blocking sled before retreating to the locker room following practice.

http://blog.vikings.com/2012/05/05/ellison-continues-strong-showing-at-vikings-rookie-minicamp/

Webmaster wrote:
milanb

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:

According to other sources, Ellison was expecting to go undrafted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZU13hgJ2x4

It's not at all clear that anyone other than the Vikings were interested in him.

Confused

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will never be known, where Ellison would have been taken after the Vikings pick. Sure you could take the gamble (I would have, atleast until round 6 for a blocking TE/FB, whether or not Ellison falls, you can find comparable players for the same role), or select him where you felt comfortable. Obviously the Vikings felt comfortable taking him in round 4, as he was the best blocking FB/TE combo prospect in the draft. That position is essential for Musgrave's offense and coming in and out of the 2 TE, 1 TE and 1 FB sets and we potentially have the versatility to not carry that FB.
milanb

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he was the next guy on the Vikings draft list and he filled a need, I'm perfectly fine with the pick. There's no point worrying about what other teams are going to do.

I'm just saying: Spielman has no idea what the other teams' draft lists looked like, and there's a strong possibility they could have gotten Ellison much later in the draft. Trying to spin it as a "value pick" is a bit much.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
I'm just saying: Spielman has no idea what the other teams' draft lists looked like, and there's a strong possibility they could have gotten Ellison much later in the draft. Trying to spin it as a "value pick" is a bit much.

Saying they know ''nothing'' might be a bit over the top. Those GM's are fielding trade offers in that war room, not to mention the research that goes into the overall draft process, scouts meeting at pro days, etc. Every year in the draft there's dozens of guys that are ''reaches'' according to the Kiper/McShay/Mayock mocks, that teams had rated higher.

If you look at the draft, Adrien Robinson and Rhett Ellison were pretty much the last TE's to come off the board, it's not until 2 rounds later that James Hanna goes. Tracing back the steps, it seems that Ellison is either a huge reach, or he was the last TE worth picking until the 6th or 7th round. If the Vikings had him graded as the last TE in that tier of 4th-5th round picks, then a whole lot of nothing, then that means they had to get him.

If you look at the teams picking after us the plot thickens:

-the Oakland Raiders are very light in their TE/FB corps. Their two FB's have a combined 3 starts, their starting TE (Boss) and FB (Reece) left in FA. Their current TE's combine for 35 catches, one of them is a converted WR.

-the Baltimore Ravens have a solid TE corps, but their two starters are pass-catchers (Pitta, Dickson), not blockers. Their third TE is a converted QB. Furthermore the Ravens make extensive use of a blocking FB (Leach), who will be on the wrong side of 30 next season.

Both these teams want to run the ball first (McFadden, Rice), and both these teams have a screaming need for a blocking TE/FB.

(Perhaps the Vikings recognized their own predicament in these teams, they want to run the ball (Peterson), and lacked a good blocking TE/FB)

I'm not into taking everyone at their word, but Spielman could have been right with his prediction that Ellison would have been gone in the next few picks. We'll never know for sure, but looking at the (circumstantial) evidence, it seems to me that Ellison might have been the last old-school blocking TE on the board, who could have gone to either the Ravens or the Raiders in the next two picks.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

According to other sources, Ellison was expecting to go undrafted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZU13hgJ2x4

It's not at all clear that anyone other than the Vikings were interested in him.

Confused

You're right, we should all trust media members rather than the guy who said he got phone calls from other GMs after the pick was made. If media members are so smart, why aren't they in the draft rooms?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: