Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade Denver's Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Broncos' Draft
A
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
B
29%
 29%  [ 19 ]
C
31%
 31%  [ 20 ]
D
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
F
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 64

Author Message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2244
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graded it as a C.

My evaluation was based on "will they start?" I think the draft improved the team but I don't see starting-level players picked.

A DT that can penetrate is good but Wolfe will be rotated in on passing packages, not kept in on all 3 downs.

A developmental QB is good but hopefully he won't play for several years.

A change-of-pace RB is good but he will get only 5-10 snaps per game. Maybe he answers the questions about kick/punt returns.

The pick trading was so-so. I understand that the old "draft value" chart is obsolete and that a team must find a willing trading partner, but, all of the players were picked too early. So Denver lost value with its trades.

So my overall grade was "good but ...", a C maybe a D, not as good as the Packers or Steelers but better than other teams (Seattle or KC).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
91jmay


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 24977
Location: Wonderland
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfe: B
Not going to be a dominant player, but a solid starter for 5+ years.

Osweiler: F
Has the tools but over drafted and doesn't help you win a super bowl in the next 3 years. I'd bet against him making it because he has a ton of issues and Peyton has never had a QB sit behind him and develop.

Ronnie Hillman: C
Decent change of pace guy, but trade up weakens value. Think talent on D would have been more valuable here.
_________________
Silver&Black88 wrote:
smokey1212 wrote:

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Cutler06


Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 10210
Location: Westminster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:

Osweiler: F
Has the tools but over drafted and doesn't help you win a super bowl in the next 3 years. I'd bet against him making it because he has a ton of issues and Peyton has never had a QB sit behind him and develop.


big_palooka wrote:

Brock Osweiler - Terrible pick. You pay Manning 96 million dollars to 'win now' and you take a gangly, inconsistent passer with 15 career starts? He's just a poor prospect. Trouble reading defenses pre snap. Misses a lot of throws. Footwork is a mess and he seems to shot put the ball. Throwing motion is never consistent. Maybe Manning finally clicks in his 'mentor' role where he let Sorgi and Painter down? Just don't' see a QBOTF in Osweiler. Taking him at the expense of an impact play for a 'win now' team was a big fail!


So, by Raider logic, Aaron Rodgers was a TERRIBLe pick because they had Brett Favre....... Rolling Eyes
_________________


Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
elwayfan07


Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Posts: 4997
Location: Pensacola FL
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
91jmay wrote:

Osweiler: F
Has the tools but over drafted and doesn't help you win a super bowl in the next 3 years. I'd bet against him making it because he has a ton of issues and Peyton has never had a QB sit behind him and develop.


big_palooka wrote:

Brock Osweiler - Terrible pick. You pay Manning 96 million dollars to 'win now' and you take a gangly, inconsistent passer with 15 career starts? He's just a poor prospect. Trouble reading defenses pre snap. Misses a lot of throws. Footwork is a mess and he seems to shot put the ball. Throwing motion is never consistent. Maybe Manning finally clicks in his 'mentor' role where he let Sorgi and Painter down? Just don't' see a QBOTF in Osweiler. Taking him at the expense of an impact play for a 'win now' team was a big fail!


So, by Raider logic, Aaron Rodgers was a TERRIBLe pick because they had Brett Favre....... Rolling Eyes


I'm sick of the Sorgi and Painter sucked so the mentor thing overblown crap. You can't compare Jim Sorgi to Osweiler. SOrgi was incredibly limited. Osweiler has potential through the roof. Polian even made the point that his biggest mistake was not getting a suitable developmental player behind Manning. So Jim SOrgi and Painter have no bearing on Osweiler
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
91jmay


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 24977
Location: Wonderland
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Aaron Rodgers was a good pick because he was a good QB in college. Osweiler really annoyed me in his Gruden QB camp as well, came across as a false jerk.

He is tall, and has a cannon but struggles with accuracy and is a one year starter who threw to many picks. Got swathes of yards from bubble screens/swing passes as well.
_________________
Silver&Black88 wrote:
smokey1212 wrote:

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
broncospride95


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 2345
Location: Chicago to Boulder
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:
91jmay wrote:

Osweiler: F
Has the tools but over drafted and doesn't help you win a super bowl in the next 3 years. I'd bet against him making it because he has a ton of issues and Peyton has never had a QB sit behind him and develop.


big_palooka wrote:

Brock Osweiler - Terrible pick. You pay Manning 96 million dollars to 'win now' and you take a gangly, inconsistent passer with 15 career starts? He's just a poor prospect. Trouble reading defenses pre snap. Misses a lot of throws. Footwork is a mess and he seems to shot put the ball. Throwing motion is never consistent. Maybe Manning finally clicks in his 'mentor' role where he let Sorgi and Painter down? Just don't' see a QBOTF in Osweiler. Taking him at the expense of an impact play for a 'win now' team was a big fail!


So, by Raider logic, Aaron Rodgers was a TERRIBLe pick because they had Brett Favre....... Rolling Eyes


I'm sick of the Sorgi and Painter sucked so the mentor thing overblown crap. You can't compare Jim Sorgi to Osweiler. SOrgi was incredibly limited. Osweiler has potential through the roof. Polian even made the point that his biggest mistake was not getting a suitable developmental player behind Manning. So Jim SOrgi and Painter have no bearing on Osweiler

This x10000000000. I really hate that argument. Painter and Sorgi were both a 6th round draft pick. Both were expected to be career back-ups at the very best.

Osweiler was drafted in the 2nd. He was drafted to be our QBOTF in 3 or so years.
_________________

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cutler06


Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 10210
Location: Westminster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
No Aaron Rodgers was a good pick because he was a good QB in college. Osweiler really annoyed me in his Gruden QB camp as well, came across as a false jerk.

He is tall, and has a cannon but struggles with accuracy and is a one year starter who threw to many picks. Got swathes of yards from bubble screens/swing passes as well.


Rob Rang of CBS Sports begs to differ with your Raider-spew

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664777/brock-osweiler

Quote:
" Accuracy: Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage gained after the catch. Flashes good anticipation and is willing to release passes before the receiver has made his break. Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally. Good accuracy and zip on crossing routes over the middle. Not often asked to roll out and throw on the move in this offense but demonstrates the ability to do so, especially when rolling to his right. Arm Strength: Possesses a strong right arm and is capable "

_________________


Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Russell2Bailey


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 12905
Location: Where I will, I'll roam.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
91jmay wrote:
No Aaron Rodgers was a good pick because he was a good QB in college. Osweiler really annoyed me in his Gruden QB camp as well, came across as a false jerk.

He is tall, and has a cannon but struggles with accuracy and is a one year starter who threw to many picks. Got swathes of yards from bubble screens/swing passes as well.


Rob Rang of CBS Sports begs to differ with your Raider-spew

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664777/brock-osweiler

Quote:
" Accuracy: Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage gained after the catch. Flashes good anticipation and is willing to release passes before the receiver has made his break. Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally. Good accuracy and zip on crossing routes over the middle. Not often asked to roll out and throw on the move in this offense but demonstrates the ability to do so, especially when rolling to his right. Arm Strength: Possesses a strong right arm and is capable "



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHsVh7w_Q3E

3:00 is my response to this.
_________________
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12537
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:
91jmay wrote:
No Aaron Rodgers was a good pick because he was a good QB in college. Osweiler really annoyed me in his Gruden QB camp as well, came across as a false jerk.

He is tall, and has a cannon but struggles with accuracy and is a one year starter who threw to many picks. Got swathes of yards from bubble screens/swing passes as well.


CBS Sports begs to differ with your Raider-spew

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664777/brock-osweiler

Quote:
" Accuracy: Good accuracy overall, including excellent accuracy on short timing routes to backs and receivers, placing the ball slightly in front to lead receivers to potential yardage gained after the catch. Flashes good anticipation and is willing to release passes before the receiver has made his break. Good zip and ball placement on the quick slant. Good touch down the seam and on post-corner, flag routes to attack the defense vertically and horizontally. Good accuracy and zip on crossing routes over the middle. Not often asked to roll out and throw on the move in this offense but demonstrates the ability to do so, especially when rolling to his right. Arm Strength: Possesses a strong right arm and is capable "

I disagree w/ that report. His short accuracy is horrid. He missed a lot of wide open RBs. His deeper accuracy is better. Which is why I never understood why the offense didnt use more vertical attacks. Pflugrad and Robinson were both capable WRs.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Tim Wright
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
91jmay


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 24977
Location: Wonderland
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Rob Rang, I watched him vs Boise State and he was unimpressive despite what the box score said. 400 yards most of which were absolute junk, no read screens and was picked off once but could have been 4 or 5 times.

I only watched him 3 times for an entire game but have looked at plenty of highlight film. Don't like him as a player.

Overall I'd give your draft a B though, like your day 3 picks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_j2b_7lPM - EDIT -

Found each throw from the Boise game. There are some good throws, but a whole lot of bad as well. It is a boom or bust pick.
_________________
Silver&Black88 wrote:
smokey1212 wrote:

Allen said he would play the hot hand, in what world is McFadden's hand hot?

He touched Dennis Allen's seat before the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jonnyj20


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 10749
Location: SLC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall grade: C-/D+

I actually really liked the trade downs. Sure we didn't get great value, but obviously that has changed this year for everyone. I didn't see anyone we really could have used between 25-36, so I was all for it.

Wolfe: B-
It seems like our approach with DTs is going to be more of a penetrating, disruptive DT. Wolfe was a tiny reach, but he seems to fit the bill with what we are trying to do and can be a contributor this year.

Osweiler: F
Welcome to Denver Peyton Manning!.... Oh and here is your replacement.
This was a terrible pick. Apparently Elway was completely lying when he said that we would only draft players who could immediately contribute, unless he counts holding a clip board as contributing. The fact is that I do not like Osweiler. Sure he is big and athletic and has a strong arm, but that does not make him a NFL QB. He makes terrible decisions and is not smart enough to ever become like Peyton(not that many could). I would much rather have drafted a 1st round QB in 3-4 years. This is the worst pick the EXF regime has made IMO.

Hillman: C+
I like Hillman but I think the pick was a reach, he would have been there at 87, I don't care what Elway says. That said I think Hillman will be a great weapon for Peyton. Perfect 3rd down back, you Always have to account for him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
elwayfan07


Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Posts: 4997
Location: Pensacola FL
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
Overall grade: C-/D+

I actually really liked the trade downs. Sure we didn't get great value, but obviously that has changed this year for everyone. I didn't see anyone we really could have used between 25-36, so I was all for it.

Wolfe: B-
It seems like our approach with DTs is going to be more of a penetrating, disruptive DT. Wolfe was a tiny reach, but he seems to fit the bill with what we are trying to do and can be a contributor this year.

Osweiler: F
Welcome to Denver Peyton Manning!.... Oh and here is your replacement.
This was a terrible pick. Apparently Elway was completely lying when he said that we would only draft players who could immediately contribute, unless he counts holding a clip board as contributing. The fact is that I do not like Osweiler. Sure he is big and athletic and has a strong arm, but that does not make him a NFL QB. He makes terrible decisions and is not smart enough to ever become like Peyton(not that many could). I would much rather have drafted a 1st round QB in 3-4 years. This is the worst pick the EXF regime has made IMO.

Hillman: C+
I like Hillman but I think the pick was a reach, he would have been there at 87, I don't care what Elway says. That said I think Hillman will be a great weapon for Peyton. Perfect 3rd down back, you Always have to account for him.


I'm not sure where everyone is getting him not being a smart QB from. Everyone raved about his football IQ. In fact most considered it his best skill.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jonnyj20


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 10749
Location: SLC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
I'm not sure where everyone is getting him not being a smart QB from. Everyone raved about his football IQ. In fact most considered it his best skill.

I would say most agree that his best skill is his athleticism.
As far as his IQ, it is my opinion as well as others who know the kid. That combined with the on-field decision making I witnessed.

vike daddy wrote:
my take on Brock Osweiler, a kid i knew in high school as we live in the same town.

Brock ain't smart. in fact, he's pretty dull.

he's in the best situation possible, learning under Manning without any immediate pressure. but he will have a very hard time catching up and keeping up with someone as intuitive and knowledgeable as Peyton. then there's Elway, who will have certain expectations on a certain time line for young Brock, and will probably ride him fairly hard.

i do expect Osweiler to have a strong career though. the CFL should love him.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
broncospride95


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 2345
Location: Chicago to Boulder
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
elwayfan07 wrote:
I'm not sure where everyone is getting him not being a smart QB from. Everyone raved about his football IQ. In fact most considered it his best skill.

I would say most agree that his best skill is his athleticism.
As far as his IQ, it is my opinion as well as others who know the kid. That combined with the on-field decision making I witnessed.

vike daddy wrote:
my take on Brock Osweiler, a kid i knew in high school as we live in the same town.

Brock ain't smart. in fact, he's pretty dull.

he's in the best situation possible, learning under Manning without any immediate pressure. but he will have a very hard time catching up and keeping up with someone as intuitive and knowledgeable as Peyton. then there's Elway, who will have certain expectations on a certain time line for young Brock, and will probably ride him fairly hard.

i do expect Osweiler to have a strong career though. the CFL should love him.

Eh, I don't buy it. Like ElwayFan said, I've heard nothing but good things about Brock's football IQ from people who are paid to dissect players strengths and weaknesses and his football IQ is one of his strengths. I trust them way more than some guy who lived in the same town as him.
_________________

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bailey24broncos


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 1012
Location: California
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock Osweiler and Jack Elway are best friends, that is why we made this pick. Sure Brock has some desirable traits, but in no way is he worth a 2nd rounder to a team that is in win now mode and just spent 96 million dollars on a QB that should at very least start for the nest 3 years. We needed to put the best players possible on the field this year and in the first three rounds of the draft for a team that is in "win now" mode need to be used to add players who will contribute to winning now, and Osweiler will not see the field for 4 years at least. But I guess adding his sons best friend in the 2nd round is more important to Elway than doing what he said and drafting players who will have an immediate impact.
_________________

Props to Walter on the awesome sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group