Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade Denver's Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Broncos' Draft
A
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
B
29%
 29%  [ 19 ]
C
31%
 31%  [ 20 ]
D
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
F
15%
 15%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 64

Donut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Wolfe may turn out to be a steal, as may Osweiler, but the Hillman pick made no sense. If they wanted a RB, Lamar Miller would have been better.

And, the trades they made yesterday didn't make sense. Why didn't they get a second rounder from New England? They should have just traded the 25th overall pick to the Rams for the second-rounder they got from Washington, as well as a third-rounder.

Why would NE give up a #31 and a 2nd to move up 6 slots? That's a lot...
How do you know that the Rams even wanted to trade up? They stayed put at there picks.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trades: Not as dismal as one might think. We came out on the short end yesterday, but gained a lot today as far as point value. Overall, we came up 38 points shy of even or the value of the 136th pick. Not great but hardly a fail. Grade C-

Pick 36: This could be a great pick. Didn't see any teams "slobbering over" the supposed higher rated DT's. Thjey lasted 'til the end of the second through the end of the 3rd. No off field issues and great on-field production.
Grade: B

Pick 57: personally I hated this pick. i thought we had a lot more needs and could easily add another player that could see significant playing time. That said, I'll guarantee it was no surprise to PM. probably even received his blessing. Could be he wants someone to pass his knowledge to. Anyway, I'll not second guess PM/Elway on QB's.
Grade: C-

Pick 67: Interesting pick. Lots of RB's still available but we went with Hillman. By many accounts the most explosive back in the draft. Quite durable, no off field issues and not many miles on him. I'll lower my grade a bit, but he could end up being a steal in our offense. Here's a quote:
Quote:
With improved receiving and pass blocking skills Hillman could see the field early in his career. He received a third round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee and could prove quite a value if selected at that point in the draft.

Grade: C+ (could end up being an A)

Overall, not great, but not abysmal either. Only time will tell, but right now it looks like we've got two players who will contribute right away with a lot of talent still available early tomorrow.
Army

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy with the Draft, but gave it a C.

Derek Wolfe reminds me of McDaniels choice of Beadles, early in the 2nd Rd. It is a "self-indulgent" pick that is meant to show the brilliance of the guy who made the pick. With Beadles, IMO, it failed and Beadles needs to be replaced in the starting lineup. We don't know with Wolfe. Some people love him, some aren't sure. It concerns me that he is a pass-rushing DT. If he can't help stop the run, I think it will prove to be a mistake.

Osweiler was a pick by a group of idiots. If stupidity could fly, whoever chose Osweiler is the freakin' Space Shuttle. This team has QBs, and don't need any more. What this team needs are "Impact" players. Osweiler is a waste of a pick. A pick that the Broncos sorely needed.

Ronnie Hillman? He seems to be OK. Time will tell.

What's the good news? With 2 Picks in the 4th Rd. and an early pick in the 5th, the Broncos can salvage this Draft. Alameda Ta'amu and Bill Winn are on the board. Centers (who can play Guard) Jones, Brewster, and Blake are on the board. RBs Turbin, Miller, and Polk are on the board. WRs McNutt, Streeter, and Wylie are on the board. OLB Keenan Robinson is on the board. Safety Iloka is on the board. CBs Boykin, Minnifield, Dennard, Judie, and Norman are on the board.

Now, if we can get EFX some anti-stupid pills, maybe this trainwreck can be turned around.
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
I gave it a D. I'm not a big fan of Wolfe but he is an ok pick. Bit of a reach imo but he should be good rushers as a UT not sure how good vs the run. Should get 6-8 sacks.

Osweiler was a horrible pick. He was a reach, not a very good QB and he has a ton of issues.

I wasn't a big fan of Hillman and thought better backs were on the board. I didnt watch much tape on him though.

+1 This pretty much sums up my sentiments to a T. I also gave the draft a D.
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Trades: Not as dismal as one might think. We came out on the short end yesterday, but gained a lot today as far as point value. Overall, we came up 38 points shy of even or the value of the 136th pick. Not great but hardly a fail. Grade C-

I feel like the chart is different for this class. The rookie wage scale effects it imo. Also I think most GMs don't like this class(I liked a few of the first rounders and late rounders but overall the value is not there in middle rounds.) Based on the the lack future picks being dealt and a lot of guys w/ low floor and a high ceiling, some because they're crazy raw.
LW33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
Wolfe may turn out to be a steal, as may Osweiler, but the Hillman pick made no sense. If they wanted a RB, Lamar Miller would have been better.

And, the trades they made yesterday didn't make sense. Why didn't they get a second rounder from New England? They should have just traded the 25th overall pick to the Rams for the second-rounder they got from Washington, as well as a third-rounder.

No one wants Lamar yet. If Denver wants him, they'll take him tomorrow. If he is the beast many here seem to think, he'd have been long gone.
LW33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad Brown said that Wolfe reminded him of Aaron Smith in Pittsburgh for what its worth.
Barndog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've graded the first 3 rounds as a C- so far. Naturally up for revision as we see them develop.

My anaylsis by decision:

First trade B+ Moving 6 places down and picking up an extra 4th round pick good move. Would of been A if we got late 3rd/early 4th. Lost value on outdated tradevalue chart 720 vs 646.

I believe that this is a deep draft, just that the 1st round is lacking. Moving backwards while picking up another pick in the core of the draft is a solid move. EXF had no tagets they felt deserving of a 1st round grade, having DeCastro and Reiff taken just before them and rather risking the pick on someone they hadn't studied they moved. If Steelers had chosen Hightower I feel we would of stayed and taken DeCastro. Reward less than desired due to lack of suitors and our desire to move.
Players passed on: Hightower 3-4 ILB (not a scheme fit), Mercilus Weakside DE (Dumervil's position, One year wonder tag), Zeitler OG (large reach 10th or worse O-Lineman in draft, chosen as 4th), DE Perry (consistentcy issues), Smith FS(Imo overrated, recently drafted high opinioned FS Moore and signed Adams as stopgap) Jenkins WR (don't know enough to say really).
So by trading down we missed out on no one of importance to us, and avoided reaching like the Bengals did. Nick Perry only one I would of been happy with to push Ayers. Ayers has done strides better back as 4-3DE and I feel would of kept starting status over Perry.

Second trade A-. Another trade in which we lost some value on 646 vs 636. Turned late 4th into early 4th placing it in the 'sweet zone' of this year's draft.
Traded out to allow Tampa Bay to take Martin RB - disappointing many Bronco fans (myself including) highlighting that the FO didn't value him the same. EXF saw that they could improve their position in later rounds without risking their current position.
Players passed on: Martin RB (Do it all 3 Downback, solid but not a 1 touch threat), Wilson RB (fumbling speed machine), Quick WR (too early for a WR for the Broncos, boom/bust), Fleener TE (overrated and unrequired with 2 previous year draftees and 2 free agents) Upshaw 3-4 OLB (scheme unfit, already have Miller as Sam).
Trading out we passed on 1 defensive player who wasn't a scheme fit. On the other side of the ball, Martin wasn't the kind of back they were looking for (proven later) and other choices are risky.

Pick 36 Wolfe, Derek DT B I like the choice and feel he is devalued by others due to lack of media attention.
I feel that Wolfe was a subject of racism, ignored by being a white guy in a more commonly black guy's position. I feel that a lot of teams had him rated higher than outside media did. Has great production better than most DT in the draft. Many feel let down that we didn't draft Still, Worthy or Reyes - I feel that Wolfe has the same grade as those 3 making this a great choice, moving back 11 places gaining value later in draft.
The arguement can be made that we did overdraft at 36 as the other 3 DT came off the board in the 49-53 range. I still prefer pulling the trigger when you believe pick matches value. Wolfe at 25 would of been massive overdraft, 36 I'm comfortable. After pick come a rush of Big Uglies. Konz another popular choice was taken at 55. Missed on Broyles at 54 also, massive reach, low ceiling and unknown status after injury. Saw as a mid/late 3rd round.

Pick 57 Osweiler, Brock QB D Pick all expected but didn't want. Fans felt that with Manning we were moving to a win-now mode. Osweiler is a true development QB who needs 1-2. Should be 3rd on depth chart due to inexperience.
The most flexable of grades. If we weren't a win-now would be a B for potential. When Manning eventually leaves if Osweiler comes in and plays at Pro-Bowl level all is forgiven. If he busts well, ouch. The NFL is such a QB based league I can understand the choice. Many qualities desireable in a QB, hopefully with training he can make us all eat these bad grades. Any other pick would have suprised me. Wouldn't last past mid of 3rd round, potential is too high.

Third trade B- Trade was good, made value back 209 vs 255. Looked like a potential rush on DB was starting or a rush on WR was coming.
Trading from the bottom to top while keeping both high 4th was good. Hayward, Trumaine and Robinson all gone in last 5 picks, if they were targetting a DB I could see the nervous knee jerk response. On the other hand WR had been moving constantly in a deep draft. If they were targetting wise to move to them than wait for WR to come to end of round.

Pick 67 Hillman, Ronnie C Graded lower due to trading up for. Skilled player, 1 touch threat player can play 3rd down due to receiving skills.
Nice change-of-speed back. Has the speed which Denver have been lacking. Will work well in our new offensive, better scat back at pick over Rainey. Comes from pro-style offense, less to learn. Massive reach though, should of been around later into the round should of waited and traded into middle of round. Many question Hillman over Miller but the fact that Miller is still around shows that there are signficant concerns over his ability to stay healthly and they are two different backs anyway.
I like the pick I just wonder if it was worth moving up for. Backfield now looks interesting. McGahee, Ball, Moreno, Fanin, Johnson and Hillman.

Ok while using the trade value chart is pointless these days I feel that the Broncos did alright. I would rate the Draft so far a B if it wasn't for Osweiler. Picked up a DT with a great motor and conditioning, something valuable at Mile High and one of the more explosive weapons in Hillman while manipulating our draft position to match our draft attack plan. Looks like the plan is coming off as an A lets just hope they picked the right plan.
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LW33 wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

No one wants Lamar yet. If Denver wants him, they'll take him tomorrow. If he is the beast many here seem to think, he'd have been long gone.

Apparently he has some medical concern. Also has red flag for not being very smart.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an F. It genuinely feels like Al Davis or Josh McDaniels seized control of our war room.

First of all they go get a DT, fair enough, but they take Derek Wolfe over Still, Worthy, Reyes....

They do pretty much the same at RB. Huge reach with Miller and Turbin still sliding.

But the absolute comical of this is Brock Osweiler. Sure, why find an immediate impact player when you can take a guy that's going to lead us to the number 1 pick whenever Peyton retires. Seriously he is awful and his tape determines he shouldn't even have been drafted.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hit the wrong button on my laptop and it erased my evaluations so I'll give you a quick summary.

Derek Wolfe- Solid pick. I trust the FO to evaluate DTs better than myself. I had a feeling that we would pick him. Just not this early. Who knows if he would have lasted. He had solid production. I'm fine with this pick. I wasn't the biggest Worthy fan and I never watched Reyes play.

Brock Osweiler- I HATED this pick at first. We had better players there at higher positions of need. What happened to wanting to win now? Anyway, I'll give him, as a player, and INC because we probably won't see him play for a while besides preseason.

Ronnie Hillman- I've seen him play in person. This kid can FLY. He's a pretty good receiver and his stouter than he looks because he's only 5'9 ish. Maybe shorter. His style compliments McGahee's pretty well if you ask me. I'd like to see a power back selected later on also though.

I'm not at all excited, not pissed off, nor disappointed. I'm just like....... Think
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Molsted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
It's an F. It genuinely feels like Al Davis or Josh McDaniels seized control of our war room.

First of all they go get a DT, fair enough, but they take Derek Wolfe over Still, Worthy, Reyes....

They do pretty much the same at RB. Huge reach with Miller and Turbin still sliding.

But the absolute comical of this is Brock Osweiler. Sure, why find an immediate impact player when you can take a guy that's going to lead us to the number 1 pick whenever Peyton retires. Seriously he is awful and his tape determines he shouldn't even have been drafted.

This reflects my feelings very well..
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just re evaluating Wolfe against the other DTs, starting with Worthy.

Who is the number 98 at MSU? The other DT next to Worthy. That guy is a PLAYER.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
I'm just re evaluating Wolfe against the other DTs, starting with Worthy.

Who is the number 98 at MSU? The other DT next to Worthy. That guy is a PLAYER.
Anthony White.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
broncos67

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny how people dog a pick because other guys are falling. If some of the RBs are falling, don't you think that means there's a good chance there's something big we don't know about them. Just because we liked them in our mocks doesn't mean the FO does...

Not to mention, with some of the picks made already, who's to say that tehe guys we got would have been around later. Eagles took Foles, so they were obviously in the market for a QB...who knows, they may have taken Osweiler. Hillman could easily have been taken too, we just don't know.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: