Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3rd round pick (68th overall) WR DeVier Posey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you two need to settle down and stop with the personal attacks.

- ET

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oppppssss.....sorry!
texanteddyp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
jargin wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
jargin wrote:
Hey AmazingAndre, hows that Marvin Jones in the 2nd round working out for ya?

About to hit the 6th round and your super-man love is still on the board.

and.....that means he will automatically bust?

2 words. Tom Brady
Speak of the devil. Marvin is headed to Cincy along with Sanu, 166th overall. Haha. I love how I bring it up then he gets picked.

Yup and when he haunts us in the playoffs and destroys Jackson don't go running back to Pittsburgh you quitter

Um...ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night, sweetie. Very Happy

I'm not a big DeVier Posey fan, but I can tell you with 100% confidence that Marvin Jones won't amount to much in the NFL. The league is littered with guys like Jones...and most of them don't do much, if anything.

All in all, we got the best WR named Jones, and his name is Dwight.

Yesssirrrrrrrr!! I'm gonna start making flyers with Dwight Jones face on it and they will say "Dwight Jones........is coming......."
jargin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Roddy White was in top 5 arguments before last season and he is still a top 8 wide out. Greg Jennings is top 10 and Nicks is right on the border. Argue whatever you want, but its pointless. I take your opinion about as serious as I take the Dolphins on Sunday.

And to clarify, you have never won anything in your life. You know being wrong is not considered winning correct?
What are you talking about man? I was talking about football and then you say I've never won anything in my life? Then you say being wrong is not considered winning?

Do me a favor and listen to ET and the other Mods. Stick to football.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
amazingandre

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Roddy White was in top 5 arguments before last season and he is still a top 8 wide out. Greg Jennings is top 10 and Nicks is right on the border. Argue whatever you want, but its pointless. I take your opinion about as serious as I take the Dolphins on Sunday.

And to clarify, you have never won anything in your life. You know being wrong is not considered winning correct?
What are you talking about man? I was talking about football and then you say I've never won anything in my life? Then you say being wrong is not considered winning?

Do me a favor and never quote me again in your life
mse326

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously this has gone on in a few threads now.

Everyone needs to cut it out. Post about football or don't post at all. It isn't a difficult concept.

mse

#JDI
jargin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
jargin wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Do me a favor and never quote me again in your life
Sure thing bro Wink

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belongs here, not John Beck thread...

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
Quote:
so maybe he can take Posey and Dwight Jones under his wing and teach them a few things about character.

Posey does not have character issues. He sold his rings so his mom wouldn't be evicted. He also practiced every day with his team even though he was suspended. 1 mistake he made doesn't mean he has character issues.

By my count he made at least 3 mistakes. If you believe he was doing this for momma's rent, I guess you just justified every drug dealer and also believe strippers who are just working to get through college...

1) Along with teammates accepted $14k in cash & free tattoos from a man, Edward Rife, convicted of drug trafficking and money laundering in this case (the tattoo parlor was a front for his drug business including meth, coke, and he was caught with over 200 lbs of pot). If you think this is about tattoos you are not seeing the real picture. Posey and his teammates were party to a conspiracy laundering Ohio State Memorabilia (tickets, rings, uniforms, autographs, etc) ultimately in that was exchanged for drugs, cars, and homes. Oh yes, and fellow suspendee LT Mike Adams has already admitted his problems with pot. They found $50k of memorabilia, 36 items directly tied to the 5 suspended players at this guys house, so you connect the dots and figure out how they really got paid.

2) While already suspended in a scandal that cost his coach his job and his QB his college career, Posey still took another $700 from a booster for work he did not perform (in addition to his cut of the $14k from Rife). Again, all they could PROVE was the $700, but this was straight out of a Soprano's episode with this DiGeronimo guy doling out cash for washing his excavation companies trucks.

3) While suspended, accepted free golf games from none other than Dennis Talbott - the same guy that was handing out envelopes of cash to Terrelle Pryor to get him to go to Ohio State instead of Michigan. Posey made appearances at Talbott's kids birthday parties for goodness sakes. Oh yes, how does Talbott pay for his country club memberships - memorabilia sales including reported paying Pryor $40k for signed merch. Pryor goes pro and Posey becomes his new go to guy for merch. Talbott is also up on various charges.

Remember NCAA players get to hide behind student privacy laws, but suffice it to say that there was much more to this than some tattoos, cash, and some golf. Remember, Rife pled guilty to the drug and money laundering charges and got 3 years in federal prison, so nobody gets to see anything publicly in a trial, but you can bet basically ending Posey's college career was not because of some tattoos. The Texans are really kidding themselves this time folks (and so are you Marco).

BTW - DeVier's widowed momma has sent all 4 boys to private high schools and colleges on athletic scholarships. Not that it's their fault but their father died from a drug overdose and who knows how many other families got ruined by folks like Rife who's enterprise DeVier was supporting.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
Quote:
so maybe he can take Posey and Dwight Jones under his wing and teach them a few things about character.

Posey does not have character issues. He sold his rings so his mom wouldn't be evicted. He also practiced every day with his team even though he was suspended. 1 mistake he made doesn't mean he has character issues.

By my count he made at least 3 mistakes. If you believe he was doing this for momma's rent, I guess you just justified every drug dealer and also believe strippers who are just working to get through college...

1) Along with teammates accepted $14k in cash & free tattoos from a man, Edward Rife, convicted of drug trafficking and money laundering in this case (the tattoo parlor was a front for his drug business including meth, coke, and he was caught with over 200 lbs of pot). If you think this is about tattoos you are not seeing the real picture. Posey and his teammates were party to a conspiracy laundering Ohio State Memorabilia (tickets, rings, uniforms, autographs, etc) ultimately in that was exchanged for drugs, cars, and homes. Oh yes, and fellow suspendee LT Mike Adams has already admitted his problems with pot. They found $50k of memorabilia, 36 items directly tied to the 5 suspended players at this guys house, so you connect the dots and figure out how they really got paid.

2) While already suspended in a scandal that cost his coach his job and his QB his college career, Posey still took another $700 from a booster for work he did not perform (in addition to his cut of the $14k from Rife). Again, all they could PROVE was the $700, but this was straight out of a Soprano's episode with this DiGeronimo guy doling out cash for washing his excavation companies trucks.

3) While suspended, accepted free golf games from none other than Dennis Talbott - the same guy that was handing out envelopes of cash to Terrelle Pryor to get him to go to Ohio State instead of Michigan. Posey made appearances at Talbott's kids birthday parties for goodness sakes. Oh yes, how does Talbott pay for his country club memberships - memorabilia sales including reported paying Pryor $40k for signed merch. Pryor goes pro and Posey becomes his new go to guy for merch. Talbott is also up on various charges.

Remember NCAA players get to hide behind student privacy laws, but suffice it to say that there was much more to this than some tattoos, cash, and some golf. Remember, Rife pled guilty to the drug and money laundering charges and got 3 years in federal prison, so nobody gets to see anything publicly in a trial, but you can bet basically ending Posey's college career was not because of some tattoos. The Texans are really kidding themselves this time folks (and so are you Marco).

BTW - DeVier's widowed momma has sent all 4 boys to private high schools and colleges on athletic scholarships. Not that it's their fault but their father died from a drug overdose and who knows how many other families got ruined by folks like Rife who's enterprise DeVier was supporting.

For once, I agree with Apollo. A lot of my friends are huge Ohio State fans, and from what they've told me about what happens around that program, from friends they have on campus and on the football team there, that program stinks to high heaven. Not a lot of high character guys in that bunch.

Sig by matthouston91
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
Quote:

For once, I agree with Apollo. A lot of my friends are huge Ohio State fans, and from what they've told me about what happens around that program, from friends they have on campus and on the football team there, that program stinks to high heaven. Not a lot of high character guys in that bunch.

To be clear, none of this ads up to DeVier Posey being a bad guy, I just reject this whitewashing of went on at Ohio State as the NCAA just being unreasonable or going on a witch hunt that some innocent players got caught up in. The players and the program got caught up in a federal drug trafficking and money laundering investigation that was after much bigger fish. The NCAA has no desire to take down it's marquee programs and all you have to do is see how long it took them to do anything to USC with some of the blatant stuff going on with Bush. Clearly Tressel took the bullet on this one and they lined up others like this DiGeronimo guy to take the heat off the players. This was not an "everybody is doing it" type situation with boosters doing the cash handshake with some players. Posey actively pursued a relationship with a known drug dealer and became a vital part of his operation to significant financial gain. Posey was the only one who was dumb enough to get himself suspended a second time for associating himself with people that had already been stained by the Terrelle Pryor abuses. Now what I hope happened behind closed doors is that Posey owned up to the mistakes he made in judgement and did not play this innocent victim card his mom, agent, and AD have tried to. Maybe Kubiak and Smith view this all as part of 1 big mistake, but I hope this kid sees what a lifeline the Texans have thrown him and knows that given his history he will be held to a higher standard of conduct than the average rookie.

All that being said, my continuing problem with the Posey pick is that there are plenty of guys who had a 1st-2nd round projections in 2010 who failed to take the next step or took steps back. The Texans seem to have just assumed the trendline would have continued to go up when there are plenty of guys everywhere from Jeffery who dropped a round and a half to Fuller who dropped 6 rounds and out of the draft based upon Senior year failings. 53 rec for 848 yards as a junior is not a 2012 3rd rounder by any stretch especially since he didn't exactly light the Senior Bowl or Combine on fire. As much as I rag on Dwight Jones, the guy put up nearly 1,200 yards, 85 rec, and 12 tds last year and even outproduced Posey as a Junior with 67 rec for 946 catching passes from our current backup QB. The implication seems to be that if Jones had gotten himself suspended he would have been better off in the eyes of the Texans. Plenty of us are going to have to understand how Posey showed more than Sanu in that spot, although Sanu going to the Bengals probably dooms any legit comparison.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jargin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
Quote:

To be clear, none of this ads up to DeVier Posey being a bad guy, I just reject this whitewashing of went on at Ohio State as the NCAA just being unreasonable or going on a witch hunt that some innocent players got caught up in. The players and the program got caught up in a federal drug trafficking and money laundering investigation that was after much bigger fish. The NCAA has no desire to take down it's marquee programs and all you have to do is see how long it took them to do anything to USC with some of the blatant stuff going on with Bush. Clearly Tressel took the bullet on this one and they lined up others like this DiGeronimo guy to take the heat off the players. This was not an "everybody is doing it" type situation with boosters doing the cash handshake with some players. Posey actively pursued a relationship with a known drug dealer and became a vital part of his operation to significant financial gain. Posey was the only one who was dumb enough to get himself suspended a second time for associating himself with people that had already been stained by the Terrelle Pryor abuses. Now what I hope happened behind closed doors is that Posey owned up to the mistakes he made in judgement and did not play this innocent victim card his mom, agent, and AD have tried to. Maybe Kubiak and Smith view this all as part of 1 big mistake, but I hope this kid sees what a lifeline the Texans have thrown him and knows that given his history he will be held to a higher standard of conduct than the average rookie.

All that being said, my continuing problem with the Posey pick is that there are plenty of guys who had a 1st-2nd round projections in 2010 who failed to take the next step or took steps back. The Texans seem to have just assumed the trendline would have continued to go up when there are plenty of guys everywhere from Jeffery who dropped a round and a half to Fuller who dropped 6 rounds and out of the draft based upon Senior year failings. 53 rec for 848 yards as a junior is not a 2012 3rd rounder by any stretch especially since he didn't exactly light the Senior Bowl or Combine on fire. As much as I rag on Dwight Jones, the guy put up nearly 1,200 yards, 85 rec, and 12 tds last year and even outproduced Posey as a Junior with 67 rec for 946 catching passes from our current backup QB. The implication seems to be that if Jones had gotten himself suspended he would have been better off in the eyes of the Texans. Plenty of us are going to have to understand how Posey showed more than Sanu in that spot, although Sanu going to the Bengals probably dooms any legit comparison.
This is a point that I've been meaning to make to you for a while:

the draft isn't all about college production. a lot of it is projecting how a player will be, not how he used to be.

Of course you already know this, it just doesn't seem like it when you compare college prospects based mostly on their college careers and production. I could really care less if Posey never had over 500 yards in a season as a Buckeye, I just care about how he will perform on Sundays wearing the Blue and Red.

Its strange because your criticisms seem to be the loudest on certain players and other times you remain silent on a prospect. One guy I can't remember you saying anything about is Connor Barwin coming into the draft. I mean, hell, the guy was a TE for two years at Cincy before his breakout season at DE. The reason why we took him was mainly his combine, which was off the charts. I don't see why you can't give Posey a chance when he has better combine numbers than Jeffery, Sanu and Randle.

Of course this is me rushing to the defense of a player that the Texans picked that I don't know much about. I certainly didn't expect us to pick him. But as a pure receiver, and thats what he is going to be asked to be, he won't have to worry about special teams at all, I think Posey has a shot to be a decent #2 WR. If he doesn't, then oh well, lots of people miss on 3rd round picks. I say give the kid a shot. He might be a better pro than a lot of the 2nd and 3rd rounders this year. He has a lot of things working in his favor coming to Houston.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't care less* jargin Wink

I have to agree with you here though. It's not all about production, hell if it was Case Keenum would have been #1, it's about measuring production but also looking at the bigger picture of potential.

Grasspike

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Couldn't care less* jargin Wink

I have to agree with you here though. It's not all about production, hell if it was Case Keenum would have been #1, it's about measuring production but also looking at the bigger picture of potential.

However, 95% of the time, guys who have all the potential in the world but little production in college still have all the potential in the world but little production in the NFL. There are just enough JPP's and Antonio Gateses to make everyone salivate over the 100 high-potential, low-production guys in college.

Sig by matthouston91
jargin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man everyone wants me to not care less.

I could care less though.

Its not as if saying "I could care less" doesn't make sense, you guys just think I mean that I "couldn't care less" when really I could.

I can always care less.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying "I could care less" just makes no sense at all.

If you could care less why even mention it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: