Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3rd round pick (68th overall) WR DeVier Posey
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: 3rd round pick (68th overall) WR DeVier Posey Reply with quote

Reach IMO

According to Shefter , we are trying to trade Jacoby.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in another thread... smooth, great routes, attacks the ball. During his shortened Senior year he started to flash consistent hands and YAC ability as well. His "character" concerns stem from taking tattoos.

I don't see Dre Kirkpatrick being hit with character concerns even though it's pretty obvious his family took money and bought a brand new Cadillac CTS.

This was before his Junior year, BTW.

Beast
texansfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not lovin this pick. But I will see how he pans out.
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how we didn't pick Sanu, but on the radio they said this was Kubiak's 'guy' and they wernt passing him up. Jacoby will be gone and Lestar and Posey will behind Walter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Brandon Thompson, Mohamed Sanu, and Bobby Massie were all available, then this was a bad pick.
mse326

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the pick, but I think we can all agree that he could be had later is a baseless assertion. We don't know that. We know how teams have their boards. We can point to the big boards out there but time and time again we see people going before they were projected and others much later. Bobby Massie, projected as a late 1st or high 2nd rounder, is still on the board. We simply don't know.

The "pundits" really just start to fall into line with what everyone else thinks. Teams actually rate them the way they think because they just don't know what other teams will do. And you don't want to lose your guy because someone else saw what you did.

Again I don't like the pick, and I really don't like that the reports are that it was Kubiak alone pushing for him, but past that I really can't say anything.

#JDI
CAS22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to his 610 interview right now... this is fascinating. The kid is really impressing me right now. Hopefully his play on the field is as good as his interviewing skills/personality.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
I'm listening to his 610 interview right now... this is fascinating. The kid is really impressing me right now. Hopefully his play on the field is as good as his interviewing skills/personality.

I just heard it too. He seems to have alot of passion and had good reason of why he sold the rings. That interview changed my perspective on him.

and J Mcclain just confirmed on twitter we are trying to trade Jacoby:

Quote:
I just got it confirmed the Texans are talking to teams about trading WR Jacoby Jones if they believe they can get a good deal.

Quote:
I could see #Texans offering Jacoby Jones for Colt McCoy. Texans are looking for a third quarterback. They need a veteran.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did he say in his interview?
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching for an hour and haven't found much to like about this pick, except that apparently he might be a decent blocker and has some skills downfield if he actually catches a ball (aka Jacoby). Plenty of scuttlebutt about him being a 2nd rounder if he had played more than 2 games this year, but A&M was looking at Fuller, Judie, and Gray as 1st, 2nd rounders coming into this year and we know how that turned out.

That better be one hell of a 4th rounder as the value gap between Randle and this guy seems to be massive and that's saying a lot since I didn't like him either. The guy reads like a nightmare with serious concerns about his ability to separate, slow off the line, plays scared - gator arms, in addition to the character concerns (which are more than tattoo's folks - he took even more cash AFTER the initial scandal and drew 5 more games for essentially thumbing his nose at the NCAA - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!).

Most concerning is reading about the Senior Bowl where he gave the impression that if you don't put it exactly in his breadbasket he can't adjust, doesn't use his hands, and often just quits on balls. Sounds like Jeff Fuller without the production or upside. Also sounds like a terrible fit for Schaub who's accuracy slipped a bit last year and can be a bit tempermental when receivers make him look bad. There have been far too many situations in the past 2 seasons where Schaub hit receivers in the hands with balls in critical situations and the receivers couldn't make a play and this sounds like more of the same unreliable crap without even the upside of him being a burner. Again, I can almost live with a boom or bust pick like this with one of the 3 4th rounders, but what the heck was the hurry so high in the 3rd?

This is EXACTLY why Kubiak's role in the draft was being minimized. Just when we are remaking the team with tough, proven, high motor players who also bring leadership, Kubiak reaches for a guy that clearly already has the makings of a guy who could be a paycheck player, has all but been called out as a wuss, and seems like a QBs worst nightmare instead of a security blanket.

My wish at this point is that we grab a reliable slot receiver with speed (aka Chris Givens) in the 4th to balance this reach.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
squadsright

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see the Texans reach a little for Posey. He is a good talent, but I think he would be available in the 4th round. Not sure how he is that much better than similar sized receivers McNutt or Toon, either.

They could have taken DT like Brandon Thompson in the 3rd and still got a similar WR in the 4th, so its kind of a head scratcher.
Marco79

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
STRENGTHS Posey can struggle off the line but understands, for the most part, how to stem his routes to set up a defender and then use his suddenness to change directions. He can burst and stick his foot in the ground at the top of routes to gain separation. Except when going across the middle and facing a big hit, he is superb at adjusting his body once the ball is thrown to secure the catch. He is effective after the catch with the ball in his hands and can make a small move to get up field. He is a very polished as a route runner and overall receiver.
WEAKNESSES Posey will get caught peeking at incoming safeties when going across the middle. He shows toughness when blocking, but not here. He sometimes will seem uninvolved in the physical aspect of the game or when the ball and play are not coming toward him.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/devier-posey?id=2532930

I really like the bold part and he is a willing blocker. The big question though is if we can keep him focused or not.

Quote:
04/27/12 - WR DeVier Posey, Ohio State -- Posey should effectively end the musical chairs with Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones, and he combines the strengths of those two players -- Walter's size and Jones' big-play ability as a downfield receiver -- in one package.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84034&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR

Sounds like an all-around WR.

Quote:
Strengths:
Good height and overall size. Impressive hands; capable of making the tough catch. Plucks the ball from the air at its highest point when possible. Tough runner after the catch; can make some guys miss and is willing to lower his shoulder into defenders. Does a great job adjusting to the ball in the air. Strong fundamentals; runs crisp routes. After missing most of 2011 season due to suspension, stepped in for final two games and was in midseason form which shows he put in the time an effort to stay sharp.
Weaknesses:
Suspended for majority of 2011 season for taking improper benefits. Not very explosive off the line of scrimmage; takes time to get up to full speed. Solid in nearly all aspects of the game, but not elite anywhere. Blocking could improve; has the size and strength to more effective than he was in college.

http://draftace.com/blog/2012/01/23/devier-posey-scouting-report/

Quote:
Positives: Good quickness off the line. Has size and quickness to get off NFL press. Generally reliable receiver capable of making difficult catches in traffic over the middle or one on one down the sideline. Adjusts to poor throws in any direction. Finds his way through traffic on crossing routes. Comes back to the ball to help his scrambling quarterback. Gives effort as a blocker on run plays.

Negatives: Inconsistent high-pointing passes. Allows too many throws into his body when facing the quarterback. Does not own elite speed. Freezes at times when trying to juke defenders in space. Walls off his man as a blocker, allowing them to shed and make the play outside.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1146562-devier-posey-to-texans-video-highlights-scouting-report-and-analysis

I am not seeing a reason why this pick is awful.

Mayock also said it was a good pick.

Last edited by Marco79 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
c0insnap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMoKu6hymWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV7WyKUa2tc

This dude is way better than Sanu. A few draft pundits fell in love with him because he has a great body and looks good in pads and was productive. But he didn't have any catches over 20 yards... all year. He's slow, stiff and isn't a natural receiver. He's gonna flame out in a few years.

Beast
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He reminds me of a faster Kevin Walter. I really like this pick.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMoKu6hymWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV7WyKUa2tc

This dude is way better than Sanu. A few draft pundits fell in love with him because he has a great body and looks good in pads and was productive. But he didn't have any catches over 20 yards... all year. He's slow, stiff and isn't a natural receiver. He's gonna flame out in a few years.

He had lots of catches, but it was difficult to really make anything out of that video. Almost every one of his catches involved either broken coverage or Posey making a sideline catch and ducking out of bounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: