Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sampson Genus
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ajhawk5047


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 1076
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Sampson Genus Reply with quote

This is what rotoworld had to say:

The Packers hope to develop second-year C Sampson Genus into Jeff Saturday's eventual successor.
Saturday is locked in as the 2012 starter, but he's 37 and not long for the league. Genus, a UDFA out of South Florida last year, is built low at 6-foot-1, 317 and "looks like a block of concrete on legs." A former college defensive tackle, Genus will likely be a game-day inactive for most of this season.

Does anyone know anything about this guy?
_________________
Go Packers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JustisM


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 16605
Location: Hood River, Oregon
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sampson Genus Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
This is what rotoworld had to say:

The Packers hope to develop second-year C Sampson Genus into Jeff Saturday's eventual successor.
Saturday is locked in as the 2012 starter, but he's 37 and not long for the league. Genus, a UDFA out of South Florida last year, is built low at 6-foot-1, 317 and "looks like a block of concrete on legs." A former college defensive tackle, Genus will likely be a game-day inactive for most of this season.

Does anyone know anything about this guy?


So the Genus guy I have been thinking about for some reason came from UConn.. I'd like to learn more about him too because we have to have a backup C. Honestly EDS can't be the only guy that can swing to center can he?
_________________
[quote="TytybearsFan21"]Drive off into the sunset, you brilliant bastard.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rbens06


Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 744
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen a little of him and read a few things here and there on him, but from what I can take is that he obviously is a shorter center that has a pretty decent center of gravity, with good girth as he is 320 pounds. He had 28 reps at his pro-day, so he has solid strength for an interior lineman. He is not overly agile or quick, something most smaller centers have. His lack of height has both helped and hurt him. It hurts him because he is overshadowed by bigger lineman, but it helps him because it is easier for him to get lower than his man and have better control over him. Overall, I do not think he is the center of the future for Green Bay, a guy like Draheim has more potential down the road and drafting a guy like Holmes next year are, in my opinion, better options. I think Genus is the best second option today. As Draheim will need time to add strength and EDS is the only other player with experience at the position. I see him more as a guy that can get us out of a game if Saturday goes down, being that he is up to speed with the offense and is not all that bad.

As mentioned above I have not seen a lot of him, so this is just a very brief overview of what I have seen/read. It very well could be that he has some hidden potential and could be groomed as the replacement for Saturday, I just did not see him as a starting player for us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13463
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little love for Genus that year in the draft pending the fit. Very much so view him as a Nick Cole clone. That's his game all day long in just about every way. Thing is, Philly made that cut after the move into the zone system as well.

Tough kid that has a ton of center reps under his belt. Just not sure there is much upside left in his game. Average movement skills, and the frame will always hold him back.

Not saying the kid can't play. Just think there is a good chance there will be better when the time comes. I would sure as hell not cry about that cut on this deep Packers team. Good chance you can keep him on your PS for another year. If not, you can find "that guy" after the draft just about every year!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandybaby716


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 3581
Location: Rhode Island
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone writing off EDS? I thought his blocking was very effective last season. Sure, Aaron doesn't like the way he sweats, but i'm sure he'd get over it.
_________________
wgbeethree wrote:
In all fairness it is kind of rude to just lay injured at their feet while the Lions defensive players are trying to hold a completely unrelated dance party.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustisM


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 16605
Location: Hood River, Oregon
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandybaby716 wrote:
Why is everyone writing off EDS? I thought his blocking was very effective last season. Sure, Aaron doesn't like the way he sweats, but i'm sure he'd get over it.


Because if you asked him what position he played he's probably say guard. He can swing out to center, but I'm more comfortable with him closer to the tackle. At least that's what I think.
_________________
[quote="TytybearsFan21"]Drive off into the sunset, you brilliant bastard.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13463
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustisM wrote:
Sandybaby716 wrote:
Why is everyone writing off EDS? I thought his blocking was very effective last season. Sure, Aaron doesn't like the way he sweats, but i'm sure he'd get over it.


Because if you asked him what position he played he's probably say guard. He can swing out to center, but I'm more comfortable with him closer to the tackle. At least that's what I think.


I have little doubt he would play whatever gets him on the field at this point. I'm sure he knows he is never going to be a long term guard at this level. Then again, Spitz got paid.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JustisM


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 16605
Location: Hood River, Oregon
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
JustisM wrote:
Sandybaby716 wrote:
Why is everyone writing off EDS? I thought his blocking was very effective last season. Sure, Aaron doesn't like the way he sweats, but i'm sure he'd get over it.


Because if you asked him what position he played he's probably say guard. He can swing out to center, but I'm more comfortable with him closer to the tackle. At least that's what I think.


I have little doubt he would play whatever gets him on the field at this point. I'm sure he knows he is never going to be a long term guard at this level. Then again, Spitz got paid.


Oh yeah he would play any spot on the field if they asked him too. Do you think he is a long term center in this league? Or do you just mean you don't think he will be here for long?
_________________
[quote="TytybearsFan21"]Drive off into the sunset, you brilliant bastard.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13463
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his gig right now is ideal. Great backup swing man inside that could get you out of a game at tackle in a pinch. That said, if EDS has any real shot as a long term starter in this league I do feel it comes at center. Not going to move the pile at guard and the frame kills him at tackle.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gizmo2012


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 2623
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I think his gig right now is ideal. Great backup swing man inside that could get you out of a game at tackle in a pinch. That said, if EDS has any real shot as a long term starter in this league I do feel it comes at center. Not going to move the pile at guard and the frame kills him at tackle.


I always considered EDS as "just a guy" but then I read a Bleacher Report story of 15 or so underrated players in the league and guess who was on that list = yes EDS. What do they know that we don't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KGBauer


Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last year during the shortened amount of practices in August, I went to the whole first week and I sat right in front of the linemen drills every day, mainly to see Sherrod. Over the week, it was easy to tell who was good and who was not so good, and the runt of the litter was Sampson Genus. I was quite surprised he made the practice squad last year, so there must be something special about him that we don't know of yet. He was the slowest, looked to be the weakest and got beat nearly every time, but progressed over the week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandybaby716


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 3581
Location: Rhode Island
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I think his gig right now is ideal. Great backup swing man inside that could get you out of a game at tackle in a pinch. That said, if EDS has any real shot as a long term starter in this league I do feel it comes at center. Not going to move the pile at guard and the frame kills him at tackle.


I always considered EDS as "just a guy" but then I read a Bleacher Report story of 15 or so underrated players in the league and guess who was on that list = yes EDS. What do they know that we don't.


Well first off, I wrote for bleacher report my sophomore year in college. Their website is made up of volunteers who are vaguely scouted accros the internet. Most bleacher report stories are just opinions of fans (hence the name "Bleacher Report").

That said, EDS has impressed every time he's stepped onto the field for NFL action. He completely shut down Suh on Thanksgiving, which is what infuriated Suh to the point of the stomp. He didn't even have help on him and he would still keep Aaron clean.

I agree with Palmy that center will be his best position once he masters the pre-snap judgments. He just needs some more reps there to do it. People often think of him and say "oh, he's that guy we cut once" but he has developed into a guy I would trust in a pinch, and wouldn't mind if he took over for Saturday in a season or two.
_________________
wgbeethree wrote:
In all fairness it is kind of rude to just lay injured at their feet while the Lions defensive players are trying to hold a completely unrelated dance party.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13463
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I sure as hell would not use that "just a guy" tag on EDS. That's a good football player with a less than ideal body/frame. I'm not even going to say he can't play guard at this level long term pending the fit. Very much so on the same page as Levitre for the Bills and looks much better than Levitre on paper. I just think given time you might have a player there at center. LIS, EDS is a much better athlete on paper than some might think. Man ran 5.15 and put up 30 reps! Just one of those cats that don't look the part. Nice guy to have around on gameday at this point though, and keeps getting better.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
msmre


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 20329
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Yup, I sure as hell would not use that "just a guy" tag on EDS. That's a good football player with a less than ideal body/frame. I'm not even going to say he can't play guard at this level long term pending the fit. Very much so on the same page as Levitre for the Bills and looks much better than Levitre on paper. I just think given time you might have a player there at center. LIS, EDS is a much better athlete on paper than some might think. Man ran 5.15 and put up 30 reps! Just one of those cats that don't look the part. Nice guy to have around on gameday at this point though, and keeps getting better.


What we should be talking about isn't whether it will be Genus or EDS, but rather what the odds are that both make it.

Keep in mind that Wells was cut and went to the practice squad and then started a year later. He honestly stunk it up for a couple of years, but with experience, he gained a level of competence that was appreciated.

I am guessing that until they are comfortable with the future C that they'll keep more than one around. With EDS ability to play G, there is no reason that they can't keep both. That means that Genus would need to be beat out by Draheim or another G prospect of consequence that would mean that either EDS or Genus could stick at C.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13463
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

It's funny, keep reading about how this brass must feel good about this teams long term health at center because they did not grab one on draft day. Could it be that there was just not a center worth taking? Center is a different deal and I and many others felt the only one in the class that would beat out EDS in a fair fight was the Wisconsin kid.

I agree though, Genus fight to make this roster is not with EDS!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group