Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

McCarthy on Sirius

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skibrett15

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: McCarthy on Sirius Reply with quote

Debatable whether this deserves a topic, but check out this transcript of a radio interview:
http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=7413

Highlights (for me at least). This is stuff we may "know" intuitively but it's nice to hear it said out loud.

Quote:
We just trusted our board. We had him rated a lot higher than the seventh round. Just the fact that we traded to move up and down, our spacing in between (picks) was different than we’ve ever had. There were times when we were 56 picks away. It was just great to see B.J. still on the board when we were picking.

Quote:
Terrell Manning was really in charge, commanded the huddle very well, I think you’ll see his ability to play sideline to sideline and things like that.

On the safety position:
Quote:
Is it five and five? Six and four, with the corners and safeties? With Charles playing so many different positions … I really like the group.

(levine/jennings/McMillian)
Quote:
I think it’s their time to step up and compete for the 53. Jerron McMillian really jumped off (the film). I thought he had one of the more impressive three days of practices.
ManInCharge

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a pretty good read, but you kind of need to filter through the coachspeak. Right now every one is excited about the new rookies and how good they look in shorts in May. The two quotes that stood out to me were the ones about Manning and McMilian.

As for the safety discussion, I noticed again how the only thing he could say about Peprah was that "he played a lot of snaps." Not really a measure of support there.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
skibrett15

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah not to mention he reveals that they rated coleman "a lot higher than 7th" which to me means 5th or 4th/5th range. Which by transitive property of drafting... all their 4th-6th rounders were also higher value than coleman.
Blount_truth

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to hayward he says they put in 2 defenses. Which two was he talking about? 3-4/nickel or 3-4/4-3? A lot of ways they could go with they way they drafted this year I think..
Interceptions: 6
Forced Fumbles: 1
DROY candidate. Jersey acquired.
Blount_truth

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I hear em talk about manning the more excited I am about him rotating hawk or bishop, (I think the difference between the positions is gonna phase out, not just in our defense but around the league as well) the only problem I see is that dom seems to favor 3-down players, even if they aren't really 3 down players, rather then rotating players. and I think hawk is better on all three combined then manning is, especially his rookie year...
Interceptions: 6
Forced Fumbles: 1
DROY candidate. Jersey acquired.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depth! We didn't have much of it last season on this defense. This year it's a different story. We return nearly everyone and have added a slew of new players in areas of concern. Front seven alone, we added Daniel Muir, Anthony Hargrove, Jerel Worthy, Mike Daniels, Nicke Perry, and Terrell Manning. Players have been put on notice, no doubt. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see up to 3 rookie starters this season on defense.

I think the Packers will take a different approach to the secondary this season. They will have their best players out there for the situation. I think they have the flexibility with Woodson to do a couple different combinations. Obvious passing situations could call for Williams, Shields, and Hayward at CB with Wood dropping back to safety with Burnett. Base D could call for Woodson and Tramon at corner with Peprah/McMillian and Burnett at safety. Or maybe Wood drops back to full-time safety. I just think we have a lot more options this year defensively.
sunflower300

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInCharge wrote:
I thought it was a pretty good read, but you kind of need to filter through the coachspeak. Right now every one is excited about the new rookies and how good they look in shorts in May. The two quotes that stood out to me were the ones about Manning and McMilian.

As for the safety discussion, I noticed again how the only thing he could say about Peprah was that "he played a lot of snaps." Not really a measure of support there.

Clearly Peprah is a stop gap until a better starter comes along, because you couldn't fix every defensive position in one season plus being that McMilian is a raw 4th round pick, he might need a little time to develop in order to ready to start.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope one understands that if there is a premium on reps in this D, it CLEARLY comes at the safety position. At least one of them back there better know the deal. Safety in this fit is no easy task.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: