Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TRADE UP 2nd Round (51): Jerel Worthy, DE, Michigan State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerel Worthy wrote:
"The film speaks for itself, people criticize and say I may take a play off here or there; there's nobody in the NFL game today or college or all the way down to pee-wee who plays every play full speed, full-go without getting tired. It's impossible.

"All I can say is I'm going to come in and try to continue to work to be a lot more consistent, and I'm going to be a lot more consistent. That's going to be my goal. The plays that showed up in the highlight tape, that's the same plays that I'm going to transfer up to the NFL and do it on a consistent basis."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/2-te56n4h-149757445.html

He addresses the motor issues and proved they held water when scouts saw them. However his point is valid and what many posters on here felt it was, in fatigue. No positions are more draining then playing defensive line, every play you are engaged in full contact and exertion; there's a reason defensive line rotation is a buzz phrase. If this is really the case where it's not a motivation/dedication issue and he was just gassed at times, I can live with that and it gives me hope that he knows how to channel the energy and ability that made him so disruptively dominate at times. Sometimes I wonder if a player's success is just their physical ability plus right spot, right time and that their mental dedication and preperation to the game is lackingor sometimes altogether absent but it doesn't seem to be the case with Worthy. When coupled with other interviews with Worthy, he seems to have the mental aspect covered and while stamina will have to improve to last in the pro game if he can be worked into a rotation this year I really have high hopes for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
Jerel Worthy wrote:
"The film speaks for itself, people criticize and say I may take a play off here or there; there's nobody in the NFL game today or college or all the way down to pee-wee who plays every play full speed, full-go without getting tired. It's impossible.

"All I can say is I'm going to come in and try to continue to work to be a lot more consistent, and I'm going to be a lot more consistent. That's going to be my goal. The plays that showed up in the highlight tape, that's the same plays that I'm going to transfer up to the NFL and do it on a consistent basis."

He addresses the motor issues and proved they held water when scouts saw them. However his point is valid and what many posters on here felt it was, in fatigue. No positions are more draining then playing defensive line, every play you are engaged in full contact and exertion; there's a reason defensive line rotation is a buzz phrase. If this is really the case where it's not a motivation/dedication issue and he was just gassed at times, I can live with that and it gives me hope that he knows how to channel the energy and ability that made him so disruptively dominate at times. Sometimes I wonder if a player's success is just their physical ability plus right spot, right time and that their mental dedication and preperation to the game is lackingor sometimes altogether absent but it doesn't seem to be the case with Worthy. When coupled with other interviews with Worthy, he seems to have the mental aspect covered and while stamina will have to improve to last in the pro game if he can be worked into a rotation this year I really have high hopes for him.

While I agree with this, I'd much rather hear a player say "I try to go full speed every play" than "It's impossible to go full speed every play". But I get what both you and him are saying. It's understandable, especially for Dline. Hopefully some of that good ol' NFL conditioning and workouts will help him, as well as the apparent better depth we have at Dline now.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajdodge09 wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:
Jerel Worthy wrote:

While I agree with this, I'd much rather hear a player say "I try to go full speed every play" than "It's impossible to go full speed every play". But I get what both you and him are saying. It's understandable, especially for Dline. Hopefully some of that good ol' NFL conditioning and workouts will help him, as well as the apparent better depth we have at Dline now.
Definitely, but watching games showed he took a play here and there off and saying he tried to go hard every play would of been what we wanted to hear but wouldn't give any of us piece of mind knowing that it wasn't true. You can fault coaching equally as much in that they kept him in even when he was gassed but then maybe his mere leadership and presence on the field could of been worth it in their minds. He absolutely needs to build stamina, while the BIG TEN is tough in the trenches, the NFL is something else entirely. So while I agree with you, I feel that if he said he gave every play his all, it would of been a relatively obvious lie to any observer and still left the motor issues unanswered out there.

EDIT: If stamina is the issue, that would be one of my favorite things to have to fix if that's all it is. Much harder to fix and correct other issues then conditioning as long as the heart and dedication are there but if they're not no issue will be fixed. As an eternal optimist, I have to say I'll take this answer and be overjoyed with it. We all saw him take plays off, even against Wisconsin and these motor issues allowed a player to be available to the Packers at #51 that otherwise could of gone prior to #28. Every prospect has flags, if his is as simple as conditioning I won't look back.

Last edited by TheGreatZepp on Wed May 02, 2012 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a English issue or a football issue? Put that boy on a pitch count. He is going to be fine. One must understand that a talent like Worthy is not going to come off the field at the college level. Not like they have another player half as talented behind him. That staff was trying to win games and Worthy was better at half go that most college DT's are at full. This is not going to be the case in the NFL. They will be more than willing to give Worthy his air.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Is that a English issue or a football issue? Put that boy on a pitch count. He is going to be fine. One must understand that a talent like Worthy is not going to come off the field at the college level. Not like they have another player half as talented behind him. That staff was trying to win games and Worthy was better at half go that most college DT's are at full. This is not going to be the case in the NFL. They will be more than willing to give Worthy his air.

this was my line of thinking on the matter as well. When Worthy gets tired, just bring in the next guy; they can get us through the next couple of snaps. This is what happened with BJ last season. Some people say he regressed, it just looked to me as though he was exhausted.

TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
You say what I want to say in so many fewer words, thanks for that Wink With the new depth brought in to compete on the line think Worthy is going to see much time on passing downs this season?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandybaby716 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

this was my line of thinking on the matter as well. When Worthy gets tired, just bring in the next guy; they can get us through the next couple of snaps. This is what happened with BJ last season. Some people say he regressed, it just looked to me as though he was exhausted.
It doesn't help that offensive linemen just live to wear down the big defensive tackles, it fuels them to go even harder, and if they see on film that it can be done they'll start working extra on them from the first snap, I'm sure Palmy can tell you. Once the defender gets dead legs no matter how hard they try they're going to be ineffective.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

That's something I've been thinking a lot the past few days. Did Michigan State overuse him? He was clearly their best defensive player, and their defense as a whole looked a lot more impressive when he was on the field than when he wasn't.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

That's something I've been thinking a lot the past few days. Did Michigan State overuse him? He was clearly their best defensive player, and their defense as a whole looked a lot more impressive when he was on the field than when he wasn't.

Just think it's been beaten to death. Clearly he ran a little hot and cold. Happens all the time with big young lineman. Was it one of his reds? Sure, but I have no clue why he is getting killed over it. Sure as hell could be a lot worse. That's a good damn football player taken at a even better value point. Been talking for months about the value in that tier. TT moved back into said tier, twice!

LIS, I have no clue if this class will grade out well five years from now. But TT went to work this past weekend.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

Very good point. It could just be an english issue. With all my english finals coming up, I could just be used to way over-analyzing anything I read and hear Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
He seems just like a fan you would run into in a bar in that pic.

Remind me to stay out of that bar.

blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

Great Googly Moogly!Shocked He looks like such a little teddy bear in his interviews. I wondered where that 300 pounds was coming from.

[/quote]
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

Great Googly Moogly!Shocked He looks like such a little teddy bear in his interviews. I wondered where that 300 pounds was coming from.

[/quote]

He looks like a He-Man action figure in that pic.
Mattwaukee

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8283e2ba/Jerel-Worthy-one-on-one

LEADER!
Polaris

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The argument that he's a loafer on the field doesn't really resonate much with me. He's been playing a game and now it's become a business and I'm pretty sure that we're all going to be happy with what we see on the field and I doubt we're going to be reading stories about how he's not working hard.

It is so damn hard to play DL in the NFL that only a very, very few people are able to do it at all, much less do it well. So you are forced to gamble on some guys that you hope will mature into pros and harness their talent. I think Worthy is a good gamble, and I think he's going to pay off for the Packers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: