Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens trade out of 1st round
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarey20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down for Hill at 35.
dcfields

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd said it before that Hill presents a rare skill set. No other WR in the draft offers the size and speed combination that Hill does.

Upshaw fits the hybrid defensive scheme that we run. He doesn't fit in with many teams which is the ONLY reason he is still on the board. It certainly would be imposing for opposing offenses to have to face Suggs and Upshaw (and Ngata and McPhee and...) on obvious passing downs. We need an infusement of young talent on defense and I think he certainly fits the mold.

As someone stated earlier, Glenn would simply maintain the status quo. Hill or Upshaw add a new dynamic to the team. Another concern would have to be with Glenn's weight. Too many of those "big boys" have eaten their way out of the league prematurely. Not something you want to look back on remorsefully.

One final concern -- When you have to "sleep on" the next day's activities, you have to believe that Indianapolis and St. Louis' phones are ringing off the hook with trade offers. It would absolutely break my heart if Upshaw and Hill get drafted 1 & 2 in the second round. That said, we would still have options available and as DB stated, it would be a golden opportunity to move back a couple more picks. The Ravens would undoubted use the surplus to move up in the 2nd or 3rd on a player they have targeted.

No surprises please, Ozzie. Try not to "outsmart" everybody again with one of those Yamon Figurs/David Pittman-type picks.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at this point it makes a lot of sense for us to be aggressive to get Stephen Hill.

If we can get Konz and Hill that would be the BIGGEST ideal situation; a LBer in the 2nd or 3rd round is just a bonus but right now we NEED WR's and a Center, we don't necessarily need another LB right away.

That's just my thoughts.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfields wrote:
I'd said it before that Hill presents a rare skill set. No other WR in the draft offers the size and speed combination that Hill does.

Upshaw fits the hybrid defensive scheme that we run. He doesn't fit in with many teams which is the ONLY reason he is still on the board. It certainly would be imposing for opposing offenses to have to face Suggs and Upshaw (and Ngata and McPhee and...) on obvious passing downs. We need an infusement of young talent on defense and I think he certainly fits the mold.

As someone stated earlier, Glenn would simply maintain the status quo. Hill or Upshaw add a new dynamic to the team. Another concern would have to be with Glenn's weight. Too many of those "big boys" have eaten their way out of the league prematurely. Not something you want to look back on remorsefully.

One final concern -- When you have to "sleep on" the next day's activities, you have to believe that Indianapolis and St. Louis' phones are ringing off the hook with trade offers. It would absolutely break my heart if Upshaw and Hill get drafted 1 & 2 in the second round. That said, we would still have options available and as DB stated, it would be a golden opportunity to move back a couple more picks. The Ravens would undoubted use the surplus to move up in the 2nd or 3rd on a player they have targeted.

No surprises please, Ozzie. Try not to "outsmart" everybody again with one of those Yamon Figurs/David Pittman-type picks.

There have been concerns about Upshaw's character. Something about his attitude if I remember correctly.

I don't think Glenn would be maintaining the status quo, he's a clear upgrade over Grubbs in the running game and he's a good pass-protector as well. I'm in the camp that believes Grubbs is overrated, although I did want to keep him (more so because of the situation we're in with the OL than because he's a good player). He should fit in well with the Saints though. Glenn's weight is something to be considered but if the team has done their homework like they did with Cody I won't be worried about it if they drafted him.
drd23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
There have been concerns about Upshaw's character. Something about his attitude if I remember correctly.

I read that there was one front office executive that said he would have dropped Upshaw by at least a round because of his off field issues. Apparently he had a very rough upbringing and has issues with anger management (iirc the example give was that he grabbed his girlfriend by her hair)

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
dcfields

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Upshaw's profile @ NFL Draft Scout.com

"2009: Arrested for domestic assault for August altercation on campus with his girlfriend, which police happened to witness; charges dropped by both parties..."

It's something that should definitely be taken into consideration. It was also 2009 (his freshman year). I didn't see anything else out there in regards to character issues.

About Grubbs, I thought he should have gone to the pro bowl in 2009 & 2011.

Regardless, we'll know who the newest Raven is in about an hour. In Ozzie We Trust!
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravens wanted Hightower.

Patriots jumped them and stole him away.

Ravens traded down into rd 2 and settled for Hightowers slower team mate with weight issues and no ability to drop into coverage

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FakingInjuries wrote:
Ravens wanted Hightower.

Ravens traded down into rd 2 and settled for Hightowers slower team mate with weight issues and no ability to drop into coverage

From a live chat with Eric Decosta

Quote:

Had you had a tradeable 4th round pick, do you think you would have moved up to get Hightower?

Eric DeCosta:
No, that was no one of our various scenarios. We had about seven players that we really liked in the first round, and he was not one of the players that we would have traded up to get.

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rein wrote:
FakingInjuries wrote:
Ravens wanted Hightower.

From a live chat with Eric Decosta

Quote:

Had you had a tradeable 4th round pick, do you think you would have moved up to get Hightower?

Eric DeCosta:
No, that was no one of our various scenarios. We had about seven players that we really liked in the first round, and he was not one of the players that we would have traded up to get.

Bam. That just happened.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage Control.

Next year hen Ray Lewis retires, you will have no ILB ready to step in his place.

Face it. Having Hightower learn from Ray Ray for 1 year and then take over as the leader wouldve been a DREAM scenario.

Pats stole him.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FakingInjuries wrote:
Damage Control.

Next year hen Ray Lewis retires, you will have no ILB ready to step in his place.

Face it. Having Hightower learn from Ray Ray for 1 year and then take over as the leader wouldve been a DREAM scenario.

Pats stole him.

I guess there won't be any ILBs in the draft next year nor do we have capable players there to step in and fill the void until we find a long-term solution, huh? You know, since we played so poorly without Ray this past season.

Give it a rest, buddy. You're trying to troll and got proven wrong. You want us to be upset and throw a fit that you all got Hightower and we didn't -- it's not going to happen. While I personally wanted Hightower, there were many of us here who didn't and even though I was one of the biggest Hightower to Baltimore supporters, I wouldn't have traded up for him either, not that far at least.

Try trolling elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FakingInjuries wrote:
Damage Control.

Pats stole him.

1. You don't replace Ray Lewis. Anyone who takes over his position when he leaves isn't going to live up to possibly the greatest defender in NFL history. McClain, Ellerbe, Hightower, or some draft pick in the future... none of them will.

2. Hightower is a great MLB prospect, but his potential ceiling is WAY short of Ray Lewis' level. He can't play sideline to sideline like Ray could in his prime. If you think he's going to turn out anything like Ray Lewis, you're just a delusional Patriots fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FakingInjuries wrote:
Damage Control.

Pats stole him.

I'd rather have Manti Te'o next year than Hightower anyway. Hightower's a good leader, but we already have guys who can lead this team when Ray retires and I'd much rather have a sideline to sideline guy at ILB. Hightower probably would have been a better fit at OLB for us and we got Upshaw in the 2nd anyway. You can think the Patriots stole him all you want, but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep because the Ravens didn't get Hightower.

Last edited by RAVINGMADD on Wed May 02, 2012 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
I'd rather have Manti Te'o next year than Hightower anyway. He's a good leader, but we already have guys who can lead this team when Ray retires and I'd much rather have a sideline to sideline guy at ILB. Hightower probably would have been a better fit at OLB for us and we got Upshaw in the 2nd anyway. You can think the Patriots stole him all you want, but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep because the Ravens didn't get Hightower.

Let's get this party started early.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
I'd rather have Manti Te'o next year than Hightower anyway. He's a good leader, but we already have guys who can lead this team when Ray retires and I'd much rather have a sideline to sideline guy at ILB. Hightower probably would have been a better fit at OLB for us and we got Upshaw in the 2nd anyway. You can think the Patriots stole him all you want, but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep because the Ravens didn't get Hightower.

Let's get this party started early.

Oh it's already started. It started for me after last year. I think he has better instincts and awareness and his leadership qualities are similar to Hightower. I'd also say that he has better sideline to sideline and coverage abilities as well even if he isn't going to be a 4.4 40 guy.

Also, I ended up drafting him for my Ravens team in Madden last year and watching him doing Ray's dance before every game was pretty funny. I'd love to see it in real life. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: