Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens trade out of 1st round
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Decosta saying we didn't want Hightower is the same thing as the Jets saying they didn't want Bruce Irvin.

We wanted Hightower, but it's irrelevant now because of who we drafted so you might as well stick to your guns and say that you wanted who you got.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
I'd rather have Manti Te'o next year than Hightower anyway. He's a good leader, but we already have guys who can lead this team when Ray retires and I'd much rather have a sideline to sideline guy at ILB. Hightower probably would have been a better fit at OLB for us and we got Upshaw in the 2nd anyway. You can think the Patriots stole him all you want, but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep because the Ravens didn't get Hightower.

Let's get this party started early.

Oh it's already started. It started for me after last year. I think he has better instincts and awareness and his leadership qualities are similar to Hightower. I'd also say that he has better sideline to sideline and coverage abilities as well even if he isn't going to be a 4.4 40 guy.

Also, I ended up drafting him for my Ravens team in Madden last year and watching him doing Ray's dance before every game was pretty funny. I'd love to see it in real life. Laughing

Personally I'd be on the bandwagon myself as he was my favorite between Taze, Kuechly, and himself. But with him going back the extra year and with him actually being worth the hype unlike Taze... I can't see anyway we'll be in range to get him. He's likely top 15-20. And even at our worst I can't see us finishing in that range. But I suppose he could always test slower than he tapes... Whoever thought Taze would run a 5.00 forty?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
I'd rather have Manti Te'o next year than Hightower anyway. He's a good leader, but we already have guys who can lead this team when Ray retires and I'd much rather have a sideline to sideline guy at ILB. Hightower probably would have been a better fit at OLB for us and we got Upshaw in the 2nd anyway. You can think the Patriots stole him all you want, but I don't think anyone is losing any sleep because the Ravens didn't get Hightower.

Oh it's already started. It started for me after last year. I think he has better instincts and awareness and his leadership qualities are similar to Hightower. I'd also say that he has better sideline to sideline and coverage abilities as well even if he isn't going to be a 4.4 40 guy.

Also, I ended up drafting him for my Ravens team in Madden last year and watching him doing Ray's dance before every game was pretty funny. I'd love to see it in real life. Laughing

Personally I'd be on the bandwagon myself as he was my favorite between Taze, Kuechly, and himself. But with him going back the extra year and with him actually being worth the hype unlike Taze... I can't see anyway we'll be in range to get him. He's likely top 15-20. And even at our worst I can't see us finishing in that range. But I suppose he could always test slower than he tapes... Whoever thought Taze would run a 5.00 forty?

Maybe we can get creative and talk him into blowing the combine so he can come to Baltimore. We could talk a player into blowing the combine if we promised to take them in the first. I wonder if there are rules against this? Some sort of tampering rules or something?
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
In my opinion, Decosta saying we didn't want Hightower is the same thing as the Jets saying they didn't want Bruce Irvin.

We wanted Hightower, but it's irrelevant now because of who we drafted so you might as well stick to your guns and say that you wanted who you got.

DeCosta didn't say we didn't want Hightower. He said he was not willing to trade up for Hightower because there were 7 guys we liked at that point.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:

Maybe we can get creative and talk him into blowing the combine so he can come to Baltimore. We could talk a player into blowing the combine if we promised to take them in the first. I wonder if there are rules against this? Some sort of tampering rules or something?

The rule is called common sense. If he agreed to give up on millions of dollars because a team "guaranteed" to take him... I'd have to question his intelligence. Te'O could possibly be a top 5-10 LB if he shines at the combine... Which is substantially more than bottom firs round contract. But hey if he were ACTUALLY stupid enough to do it... Well put me in Team Te'O... Ozzie make it happen! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:

I doubt a player would voluntarily give up potentially millions just to be taken by a specific team.

I know I wouldn't Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

DeCosta didn't say we didn't want Hightower. He said he was not willing to trade up for Hightower because there were 7 guys we liked at that point.

Right. They probably liked Hightower but ti was too expensive to move up (would have cost a 3rd to move up unless they traded future picks judging by what other teams were giving up to move ahead, Baltimore didn't have a 4th round pick they could trade either). As everybody knows I'm extremely happy the Ravens didn't end up with Hightower, his best fit on the team would have been the same position that Upshaw plays and Upshaw is much better in that role.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:

I doubt a player would voluntarily give up potentially millions just to be taken by a specific team.

I know I wouldn't Smile

I know I would. I'm making millions regardless if I get taken in the first and if it's potentially the best situation for me to thrive as a player, my second contract would be a lot more than if I were to go to bad team and struggle. Not to mention, I couldn't handle playing for a losing team regardless of how much more money I would be making.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:

The rule is called common sense. If he agreed to give up on millions of dollars because a team "guaranteed" to take him... I'd have to question his intelligence. Te'O could possibly be a top 5-10 LB if he shines at the combine... Which is substantially more than bottom firs round contract. But hey if he were ACTUALLY stupid enough to do it... Well put me in Team Te'O... Ozzie make it happen! Laughing

Well I certainly would do it. Maybe I don't have the most common sense in the world, but I also could be considered a genius from multiple IQ tests that I've taken. Laughing
You guys are telling me you wouldn't take a few million less a year in your rookie contract to play for the Ravens as opposed to a losing team you don't like?
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:

Well I certainly would do it. Maybe I don't have the most common sense in the world, but I also could be considered a genius from multiple IQ tests that I've taken. Laughing
You guys are telling me you wouldn't take a few million less a year in your rookie contract to play for the Ravens as opposed to a losing team you don't like?

But you're also thinking about this from a Ravens fan perspective. Te'O has no connections to this team in terms of loyalty. If I were in that situation, perhaps I'd be willing to do it... Maybe. But there are too many variables involved. I tank the combine there's no guarantee they take me. Maybe I tank the combine and go before I get to the Ravens to some other team that I don't like.

And then you factor in injuries happen... And we saw what the Ravens did to the home grown Foxworth when he tore his ACL... They cut him. Accept less money on your first deal as a gamble and you might not even make it to your second deal... It's a giant risk. Plus as an athlete you probably didn't have the time in your life to truly pursue other career interests and avenues to the extent of students that have that exra time on their hands... And now we're talking potentially being in a REALLY bad situation. Those extra millions would then come in handy.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:

But you're also thinking about this from a Ravens fan perspective. Te'O has no connections to this team in terms of loyalty. If I were in that situation, perhaps I'd be willing to do it... Maybe. But there are too many variables involved. I tank the combine there's no guarantee they take me. Maybe I tank the combine and go before I get to the Ravens to some other team that I don't like.

And then you factor in injuries happen... And we saw what the Ravens did to the home grown Foxworth when he tore his ACL... They cut him. Accept less money on your first deal as a gamble and you might not even make it to your second deal... It's a giant risk. Plus as an athlete you probably didn't have the time in your life to truly pursue other career interests and avenues to the extent of students that have that exra time on their hands... And now we're talking potentially being in a REALLY bad situation. Those extra millions would then come in handy.

I agree Te'O has no reason to do it, but I would think a player would be willing to do it if a contending team came to them. Regardless of my loyalties as a fan, I would take less money on my rookie contract to be in a better position to succeed and be on a winning team. With injuries, it's certainly a risk, but a risk I'd be willing to take. Especially with the rookie wage scale, the difference in money isn't enough for me to want to go to a losing franchise and have less success.

I guess as a MLB on a bad team, Te'O could probably just collect a ton of tackles and get a huge contract wherever he wants after his rookie contract is up, but if I were a WR or QB it would be a lot different. As a QB, you are only as perceived as good as the offense and team around you so I would definitely want to go where I at least had a good OL and some weapons around me. As a WR, I'd certainly want to go where there was a good QB to get me the ball. I just think that, for certain players, the risk-reward favors taking a little less money at first and risking injury for the reward of greater success, better future contracts and possible Super Bowl rings.
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure what you guys are talking about is called tampering.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAVINGMADD wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
RAVINGMADD wrote:

I agree Te'O has no reason to do it, but I would think a player would be willing to do it if a contending team came to them. Regardless of my loyalties as a fan, I would take less money on my rookie contract to be in a better position to succeed and be on a winning team. With injuries, it's certainly a risk, but a risk I'd be willing to take. Especially with the rookie wage scale, the difference in money isn't enough for me to want to go to a losing franchise and have less success.

I guess as a MLB on a bad team, Te'O could probably just collect a ton of tackles and get a huge contract wherever he wants after his rookie contract is up, but if I were a WR or QB it would be a lot different. As a QB, you are only as perceived as good as the offense and team around you so I would definitely want to go where I at least had a good OL and some weapons around me. As a WR, I'd certainly want to go where there was a good QB to get me the ball. I just think that, for certain players, the risk-reward favors taking a little less money at first and risking injury for the reward of greater success, better future contracts and possible Super Bowl rings.

So let's say you decide to do this and get a 4 year deal for $10M from the Ravens (I'm just ballparking here, I don't know the exact amounts).

And you passed up a 4 year deal for $18M from a higher pick team who is worse.

So you're leaving $8M on the table.

You're telling me that with how dangerous the NFL is, how easily your career could end on any play, etc, you'd be willing to forego $8M just to play for a better team for 4 years?

I sure as well wouldn't. I'll take my $18M, play my butt off for 4 years, and then if I really want to go somewhere else after 4 years, I'll leave in FA. But I'm taking as much money as I can get on my first contract to ensure that I'm as set for life as I can possibly be in case something catastrophic happens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They traded out of the 1rst round because the Bengals took Zeitler. Great move? I mean,its not like the Ravens need 1rst round picks or anything.
FlaccoForever

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueridge wrote:
They traded out of the 1rst round because the Bengals took Zeitler. Great move? I mean,its not like the Ravens need 1rst round picks or anything.

Your personal life must suck so I'm just going to assume that you are just a bitter person and leave it at that, may God bless you in everyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: