Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Round (28): Nick Perry, OLB, USC
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: 1st Round (28): Nick Perry, OLB, USC Reply with quote

With the 28th Overall Selection, the Green Bay Packers select...

Nick Perry, OLB, USC

Height: 6'2 3/4 Weight: 271 Arm: 33" Hand: 9 1/2"
40: 4.64 10: 1.58 20: 2.65
Reps: 35 Vertical: 38.5" Broad Jump: 10'4"
Shuttle: 4.66 Cone: 7.25

Stats:
2011: 54 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 3.5 stuffs, 3 PD, 3 FF, 1 FR
2010: 25 tackles, 4 sacks, 3.5 stuffs, 3 PD, 2 FF, 1 FR
2009: 24 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 stuff

Draft Audio/Video
Nick Perry on being a Packer
Ted Thompson Press Conference
Dom Capers Press Conference

Film:
Vs. Washington
Vs. Utah
Vs. Arizona
Vs. Cal
Vs. Stanford
Vs. Oregon
Vs. Syracuse
2009 Highlights
2010 Highlights
2011 Highlights

Scouting Report:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631896 wrote:
Pass rush: Has very good first step quickness and does a nice job in space. Has the footwork, body control and fluidity to quickly change directions. Does a nice job elevating and getting his hands up to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage. Works hard to collapse the pocket with a relentless motor. Brings aggressive playing style on every snap and doesn't quit. Lacks elite size and length -- undersized and can be swallowed by larger blockers. Run defense: Read/reacts quickly with good awareness and recognition skills to chase down the play from different angles. Understands leverage and does a nice job staying balanced, getting lower than blockers and underneath their pads, usually attracting holding penalties. Explosion: A quick, flexible
athlete with sharp burst off the snap. Shows the natural bend and coordination to dip his shoulder and consistently win the edge. Doesn't always time-up his explosion and isn't a sudden pass rusher. Strength: Uses his powerful upper body and hands to force his way into the pocket. Does a nice job swatting blocker's hands/arms with his violent, active hands. Struggles to disengage at the point of attack and will never be the strongest on the field -- functional strength is a question mark. Tackling: Plays smart and disciplined, staying at home and restraining from biting on fakes -- listens and applies coaching. Good hand strength to secure tackles. Lacks ideal arm length, but works hard to wrap and tackle through the ballcarrier. Intangibles: Projects best as a stand up linebacker in a 3-4 scheme at the next level, but doesn't have much experience in this area and there could be a learning curve -- can he play with his hand on the ground at the next level? Lined up in both the two and three-point stance in college. Has good production on his resume, capping off his career with a strong junior season, leading the Pac-12 in sacks. Has questionable instincts when asked to drop in coverage. Appears fatigued late in games and needs to show better conditioning. -- Dane Brugler

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/live-analysis-the-2012-n-f-l-draft/#more-103587 wrote:
No. 28: Packers Select Nick Perry, OLB, U.S.C.
Six-Word Scouting Report: Edge rusher passes tape measure tests.

Strengths: Speed, athleticism.

Weaknesses: Instincts, run defense.

Perry ran the 20-yard shuttle at the scouting combine in 4.66 seconds. Out of context, that stat is meaningless. Within context, it is nearly meaningless. It can be nearly impossible to sort through the jumble of "measurables" collected by the league and draft experts and emerge with anything but a headache to two decimals places.

The Football Outsiders do their best to tame all of the hundredths of a second and fractions of an inch with their SackSEER formula, which analyzes several variables and crunches one easy-to-use number. SackSEER took Perry's size, speed, sack totals (21.5 in three years) and workout numbers and gave him a rating of 90.6%. That's an "A."

Here's Nathan Forster, the brains behind SackSEER, explaining what made Perry's workout numbers special. "Perry's vertical leap and broad jump are a full standard deviation above the mean performance for edge rushers, and his 40-yard dash is nearly as good." If standard deviations above the mean are not your bag, just stick with this bullet point from Pro Football Weekly: "physical marvel." Same thing.

The Packers recorded just 29 sacks despite a blitz-heavy Dom Capers system. Their strategy of surrounding Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson with guys they found on other teams' practice squads had gone too far. Perry gives Matthews a true athletic standout who can draw away a few blockers.

General Consensus on the forum: There seems to be very little backlash on the pick. Hardly uncontrollable excitement either, but a very solid pick at this point in time. We wanted value to match the need in the front 7 and it did. Perry has great potential and is a good start in improving the talent level of this defense in the draft. Some are a little concerned he won't be the greatest asset in space, but a definite "April boost" to the pass rush.

Last edited by RashaanSalaami on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 pm; edited 11 times in total
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE this pick.
babybulaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES YES YES YES... I am VERY HAPPY

PASS RUSHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blank402

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a rumor earlier today that the Packers were interested in Perry as a DE and not an OLB.
HawaiiFan808

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So um, does he wanna play in the 3-4 now?
ajdodge09

Booyah. Called it in the contest thread.

Best dressed so far... Glad we got someone to pair with Mathews. Still wish Shea would have fallen, but Perry can be just as good.
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.

Last edited by ajdodge09 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

Was hoping for either Perry or Upshaw. I am satisfied.

Fight on.

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
ugLymayNe

LOVE IT!

Bring that rush. Definitely wasn't high on Perry early on but I warmed up to the idea in the past few weeks. Much, much better pass rusher than Upshaw.

Sig brought to you by Justo

Last edited by ugLymayNe on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid addition.

bears2308 wrote:
Green Bay is one of the most over-rated teams in the league
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

with that kind of quickness on that large of a frame, its exactly what we need opposite clay... I cant see him being converted to DE unless its some hybrid formation that Dom draws up

Last edited by driftwood on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandybaby716

Blank402 wrote:
I read a rumor earlier today that the Packers were interested in Perry as a DE and not an OLB.

Was that a rumor or just the suggestion that incog and I were discussing?

I we do that, then I don't mind it at all. I just don't think it was a very smart pick with Upshaw available.

If we play him at OLB, then count me as the group that just hates hates hates it.

pollino14

I m soooooo happy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad So happy! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: