Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 4th pick, MINN Selects - Matt Kalil [LT] USC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not go down this road again Laughing
Its unfair to bring Charlie Johnson/Robinson into "head to head" discussions.
If Claiborne was selected #4, that could change draft prospect orders by a big amount.

Winfield is having a great year, Harrison is having an awesome year, Robinson is having a suprise good impact, and Sanford is playing the best he has ever, coupled with Greenway and Jasper playing strong.

Anyway, Kalil is doing well here as expected and I'm pleased. Claiborne is doing well in Dallas as expected (tho I hate that he is on the Cowboys, but at least he is not on a North rival).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Lets not go down this road again Laughing
Its unfair to bring Charlie Johnson/Robinson into "head to head" discussions.
If Claiborne was selected #4, that could change draft prospect orders by a big amount.

Winfield is having a great year, Harrison is having an awesome year, Robinson is having a suprise good impact, and Sanford is playing the best he has ever, coupled with Greenway and Jasper playing strong.

Anyway, Kalil is doing well here as expected and I'm pleased. Claiborne is doing well in Dallas as expected (tho I hate that he is on the Cowboys, but at least he is not on a North rival).

If Claiborne was taken at #4, that would have completely left the LT spot unresolved. I think its a perfectly reasonable thing to have considered when making the selection. No matter how its spun, there were more quality CB prospects in this draft than LT prospects. That same argument was made in April and we are seeing right now very few rookie LTs who are stepping in as a starting LT.

So yes, part of the Claiborne vs Kalil debate was based on the expectation of Charlie Johnson being a possible starter at LT vs whatever CB could be had after round 1.

I think MN made the right pick considering that Kalil has been quite good, and MN was still able to find a good starting CB in round 3.
vikingshomer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
http://blog.vikings.com/2012/10/08/little-acclaim-big-results-3-vikings-flying-under-the-radar/

Quote:
LT Matt Kalil
In much the same way it’s hard to measure the effectiveness of a FB such as Felton or a “blocking” TE such as Ellison, it can be tricky gauging the performance of an offensive lineman because there’s no box score metric that directly applies to the position. But you don’t need a box score metric or even a bunch of film study to realize how dominant Kalil has been through 5 games. He’s gone against several formidable DEs and he’s held his water without problem. Also, according to one statistical study, the Vikings have run to the left (Kalil’s side) with success – 44 carries for 199 yards (4.5 yards per carry).
That's pretty impressive. Do you know of a website that has stats that give the amount of carries and the average yards gained depending on what side of the Oline we run towards? I'd be very curious to compare the numbers for rushing to the left side/center/right side of our oline.
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the PFF lover that I am, I thought I should share this. Matt Kalil is tied for the eighth best pass blocking tackle in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/
Nozizaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
Being the PFF lover that I am, I thought I should share this. Matt Kalil is tied for the eighth best pass blocking tackle in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/

No players on the second list Cool
Pass protection has been A-okay, a large part of which is thanks to Kalil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nozizaki wrote:
No players on the second list Cool

Arizona has the bottom two!
Who do the Vikes play next?
Shocked
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie Peterson, the sports nutritionist for all the pro sports teams in town, never has seen anything like it. In the 10 years she has worked with the Vikings, Matt Kalil is the first offensive lineman she has had to help gain weight. It's quite the reversal from 14 months ago, when the Vikings released their previous franchise left tackle, Bryant McKinnie, in part because he had let himself balloon close to 400 pounds. Giving in to his overwhelming craving not to maintain his consumption of 6,000 to 6,500 calories per day would cause Kalil to essentially shrink. Rapidly.

Kalil: "I don't think naturally that I'm meant to be 310 pounds. If I wasn't playing football, I'd weigh 240, 250. But gaining weight, putting it on the healthy way has been something I've done my whole career."

In 1970, the NFL had one 300-pound player. In 1990, it had fewer than 70. Last year: 354. Talk about incentive to keep chewing.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/175045521.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as putting on this weight during the season doesnt reduce his athleticism. I actually dont mind Kalil around 295-300, the guys he is usually blocking are 255-265.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size doesn't equal strength, so as long as Kalil can control the guy he's facing, he'll be fine.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pass blocking the last 2 games has regressed a bit. Which is weird considering Kalil is a pass blocker first. He's doing a great job tho.

When he gets going down field on screens and swing blocks, wow, fella can move.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
I think the pass blocking the last 2 games has regressed a bit. Which is weird considering Kalil is a pass blocker first. He's doing a great job tho.

When he gets going down field on screens and swing blocks, wow, fella can move.

It's definitely not on Kalil for the pass blocking, hell it's not even on Loadholt.

The pocket is being collapses right up the middle and to me it seems the guards are most at fault.
TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On all those pocket collapse's Kalil was the only one holding his guy back.

Minnesota Vikings 2014
vikingshomer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF
Credit to Matt Kalil. Given up 2 hits & 7 hurries on 258 pass blocks. Gives him 2nd highest Pass Blocking Efficiency number of any LT
Retweeted by Andrew Renschen
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey VR, still think Blackmon is average? Or did we all forget about the WR learning curve?

I'll wait for you to still call him average and short. Laughing
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
Hey VR, still think Blackmon is average? Or did we all forget about the WR learning curve?

I'll wait for you to still call him average and short. Laughing

1 great day doesn't make him an All-Pro.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: