You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 4th pick, MINN Selects - Matt Kalil [LT] USC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zephiel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:
Wow, that quote sounds SO much worse when you dont hear him laughing throughout the whole quote lol.

Definitely.

Also, Kalil came back at him over twitter... lol

https://twitter.com/Mattkalil/status/226822924320006144
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
HighHopes wrote:
Wow, that quote sounds SO much worse when you dont hear him laughing throughout the whole quote lol.

Definitely.

Also, Kalil came back at him over twitter... lol

https://twitter.com/Mattkalil/status/226822924320006144

Funny stuff
milanb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Jamie Dukes on the NFL Network the other day.

Dukes really likes this guy. Even though CB was a much bigger need going into the Draft, this could turn out to be a pretty good pick.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
AP_allday2869

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:

Dukes really likes this guy. Even though CB was a much bigger need going into the Draft, this could turn out to be a pretty good pick.

I'd say O-Line was a much bigger need, especially with Cook coming back and Winfield being coming back healthy.

But, I'm excited to see what the Real Deal Matt Kalil has in store for us!

Quote:
#Vikings H.C. Mike Zimmer: "I agree that it was a cheap shot. [Gregg Williams'] defenses are all like that."

FFMD '15 Vikings VP of Public Relations
Heavydan85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_allday2869 wrote:
milanb wrote:

I'd say O-Line was a much bigger need, especially with Cook coming back and Winfield being coming back healthy.

But, I'm excited to see what the Real Deal Matt Kalil has in store for us!

Let's not start this debate again...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its some what related to Kalil, but Claiborne just signed his deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/cowboys-sign-first-rounder-morris-claiborne/

Quote:
According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Cowboys have signed first-round cornerback Morris Claiborne.

He’ll get a four-year deal worth $16.26 million, all guaranteed, with no offset language in his contract.

And to further note, Trent Richardson is supposedly close on getting his deal signed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/trent-richardsons-deal-is-very-close/

Quote:
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Browns and running back Trent Richardson are “very close” on a new deal.

So of the top 7 picks, looks like Richardson, Blackmon and Kalil are the ones remaining.

I figure once Richardson is signed, Kalil should be soon to follow. Blackmon probably has a ways to go given his recent arrest, but with Claiborne signed at pick 6, that should create a pretty good market for Kalil's deal.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as he gets it done before Training Camp starts, I'll be happy.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running back Trent Richardson has agreed to terms, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The contract pays Richardson a signing bonus of $13.341 million, along with base salaries of $390,000 in 2012, $1.321 million in 2013, $2.252 million in 2014, and $3.184 million in 2015.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/browns-get-deal-done-with-trent-richardson/

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:

I personally don't need to hear him laughing to take anything he says with more than a grain of salt. Jared Allen hardly ever says anything serious in public.

Thx to Lil Uno!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/25/vikings-do-about-face-on-offset-issue-hold-firm-with-kalil/

Quote:
Per a source with knowledge of the negotiations, the Vikings want offset language in the contract offered to left tackle Matt Kalil, the fourth overall pick in the draft. The Vikings are pushing the issue even though the player taken in front of Kalil (Browns running back Trent Richardson) and three of the five players taken behind him have avoided the offset duty completely.

I really hope this doesnt slow negotiations down too much, it seems like an irrelevant issue if you assume that Kalil becomes the starting LT through 2015, which i dont know why you would assume he wouldnt.

Id personally drop the issue if I were the Vikes, especially if it came to where Kalil was missing camp.
milanb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Vikings trying to low-ball McKinney when they drafted him a decade ago, and he held out until the Vikings caved.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know if they'll be able to hold firm on the offset language. Most of the other teams have got their concessions elsewhere instead of the offset language. Maybe it's Brz trying to do something creative for Kalil while maintaining the offset.

Thx to Lil Uno!
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
I remember the Vikings trying to low-ball McKinney when they drafted him a decade ago, and he held out until the Vikings caved.

That's was Brz's first year in his current position under the McCombs' Administration.

Thx to Lil Uno!
since72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Yeah, I don't know if they'll be able to hold firm on the offset language. Most of the other teams have got their concessions elsewhere instead of the offset language. Maybe it's Brz trying to do something creative for Kalil while maintaining the offset.

Can someone explain "offset language"?

I thought the new CBA was supposed to pretty much eliminate the need for long drawn out rookie negotiations. Is Kalil's agent negotiating nickels and dimes or is there real money involved?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since72 wrote:
disaacs wrote:

Can someone explain "offset language"?

I thought the new CBA was supposed to pretty much eliminate the need for long drawn out rookie negotiations. Is Kalil's agent negotiating nickels and dimes or is there real money involved?

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Offset_lanugage_issue_not_so_simple_as_Vikings_try_to_sign_Matt_Kalil072512

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a72b56/article/whats-the-holdup-for-top-picks-getting-signed-offset-language

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Thanks to the new CBA, first-round contracts are four-year deals with a fifth-year option for the team. That option must be picked up by the March following the player's third year. Once that is exercised, a player's fifth year of the contract (as much as $10 million) is guaranteed for injury. Essentially, teams will make decisions on their first-rounders after Year 3, determining whether or not they want to be on the hook for the remaining money.

But in the fourth year comes the debate over offset language. If there is offset language, it allows the team to save money when releasing a player. Let's say a first-rounder is due $2 million in his fourth year. If he's released, and then agrees to a $2 million deal with a new team, the original team is completely off the hook. He receives $2 million from his new club, and the team that drafted him washes its hands of the situation. If there is no offset language, the discarded player receives the guaranteed money from his original team and the full salary from his new team. The original team can't merely allow the new team to pay the remaining guaranteed money as part of the new deal.

If a deal includes offset language, if the Vikes were to release Kalil at the end of his deal (hopefully this wont be the case), any team that signs him would pay the bonus money that the Vikes were suppose to (assuming of equal or greater value). However, if there is no offset language (which is what the top picks have been getting), the original team would have to pay the rookie bonus money, plus the player would get further bonus money from whatever team said player signs with. Essentially, a deal with no offset language allows a player to "double dip" if they are released meaning they get paid from their old team and their new team.

The Vikes are haggling over something that hopefully will be meaningless as Id like to hope that Kalil can be a franchise LT and be part of the team for the next decade plus.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 18 of 23

Jump to: