Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Draft Day 1 and 2 Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
i bet i was that one KJ Wright vote
I bet it was me. I'm forever the optimist Laughing

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was NFL Announcer, on most every good pick we had he endorsed them. Sherman, Moffit, Unger, Chanc, ect..

"We all we got, we all we need"
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why the hell would I want any of them in the 4th over Howard knowing I could get them 2 to 3 rounds later. That's just stupid and showing your OLine bias. More than half the players you just named have no business sniffing the LT spot so they just add to the RT log jam we have

Im stupid and have an OL bias? your telling me that we dont need OL depth at LT? Half the players I mentioned are upgrade over Mcquistan.

Quote:
Again, why are you naming WRs that went a full round after Toomer? Obviously NFL GMs realize the players you named aren't nearly as valuable as you'd like to believe.

Because the players i mentioned have the right to be drafted that high and Toomer is an obvious REACH that will have a tough time making this team with the depth we already have. The reason why they were able to be drafted a round after there projection is because Seattle kept taking the 7th round picks ahead of them pushing the better players futher down the board.

Quote:
So I really suggest you don't try to do that for every round, because you're pretty terrible at it. I bet when you were looking through the draft at who was available at each pick, you noticed that EVERY team took players that weren't valued where the "general consensus" had them valued.

So your saying we didnt continuously REACH for players that would have been available in later rounds? There is only 2 maybe 3 players that could even remotely be considered a value at their pick. the rest of the draft is nothing but average college players with mediocre production.

I may joke around at times about being the OL guy but how does a Back up QB in the 3rd make our team better when we have one already. How does drafting 8 defensive players when our D was top 10 make our team better? isnt the offense that struggled this year? We could have gotten our 6 and 7 rounds in UDFA. these guys have an extremely slim chance of making the team. wasted draft picks is not how you build a championship football team.

And last one that SOS is gonna love Laughing

Quote:
All of the players in bold in your first example aren't even realistic options. DT (especially NT) wasn't a round 3 need by any stretch of the imagination as that's our deepest position

arent you the biggest fan of BPA and BVA? So go ahead and justify the value of any of these picks outside Turbin, Wagner and maybe Guy????
imani

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:

no....i know for a fact it was me. I had KJ Wright mocked to seattle many times in the 4th round before the pick (and richard sherman in the 6th....i know he went in the 5th) and that was my late round guy last year. I can't take full credit tho because i thought he would be a pure edge rusher for us with his long arms and athleticism

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:

no....i know for a fact it was me. I had KJ Wright mocked to seattle many times in the 4th round before the pick (and richard sherman in the 6th....i know he went in the 5th) and that was my late round guy last year. I can't take full credit tho because i thought he would be a pure edge rusher for us with his long arms and athleticism
Well I checked what I said, I gave it a wait and see, but an ok. Far from a lowsy meh Laughing

ram29jackson wrote:
Shazor4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed is that all of our picks were made before the clock had even time to run down. Winston Guy was the only player they seemed to deliberate on. Carroll and Schneider definitely had a plan coming into this draft and it seems they got all of the guys they wanted. Another intereting thing to note is that no PAC-12 player was drafted in Carroll's last year of his in-depth knowledge of the conference.

I also don't get why people are bashing the late round picks so much. I mean calling a 6th and 7th round pick a reach Laughing About 90% of these late picks across the league probably won't amount to anything. I like the way we draft in the late rounds. Drafting raw athletes and then developing them. Might get the bad grades and press from the media and fans but who cares? Carroll is confident that he and the coaching staff can turn these picks into great players. Certainly has worked so far.

I for one, am excited about this draft class.

Adopt a Hawk - Russell Wilson - 252 / 393 64.1% 3118 Yards 26 TD 10 INT 94 ATT 489 YDS 4 TDs

The best QB on the Seattle Seahawks
Sacks98

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Utah State LB Bobby Wagner, selected in the second round with the 47th pick by Seattle, will play middle linebacker when he begins training with the Seahawks, but that doesn't make him the immediate starter. Coach Pete Carroll said the coaches will let him grow into the role. “We'll just take it as it comes,” Carroll said. “He will be thrown in with the first group, as all our young guys will be as soon as we can get them here. Sometimes that takes longer than others.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18867873
Sacks98

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Panned by most observers challenging the wisdom of the choice, the Seattle Seahawks' selection of defensive end/linebacker Bruce Irvin with the 15th overall pick in Thursday night's first round, may have actually been one of the more timely moves in the early stages of the lottery.

In conversations over the past two days, The Sports Xchange has confirmed that several other franchises, including the one picking directly after Seattle, had the former West Virginia University standout rated as a solid first-round candidate and likely would have chosen the hybrid pass-rusher had he been available to them.

"He was," the general manager from one of those teams told The Sports Xchange late Friday night, "arguably the hottest player in the whole draft the past week."

That sentiment was shared by several personnel chiefs on Friday and Saturday.

There have been suggestions that Irvin, whose tale of personal redemption has become well-known over the last few days, might have even been available to the Seahawks in the second round. But given the interest from other franchises, as confirmed by The Sports Xchange, that is highly unlikely.

Among the several teams that either planned to select Irvin or had him on a "short list" of first-round candidates for consideration: the New York Jets (No. 16), Chicago (19th), Green Bay (28th) and San Francisco (No. 30).

Less than five minutes after the Seahawks plucked Irvin, with a pick that surprised many pundits, the telephone rang in the Seattle "war room." On the other end was a Jets' official, good-naturedly cursing a Seahawks' counterpart for having chosen the prospect New York planned to grab one pick later. San Francisco dispatched an assistant coach to meet with, and work out, Irvin two days before the draft. One of the teams intrigued by Irvin phoned him the week before the draft to indicate its interest in him.

The momentum elevating Irvin -- a former high school dropout, who served time in a juvenile correctional facility, obtained his GED, and played at Mt. San Antonio Junior College before starring at WVU for two seasons and registering 14 sacks (including 16 in 2010) -- pretty much flew under the radar of many draft analysts.

But, obviously, not of NFL talent evaluators.

Still, there was plenty of subterfuge involved.

There have been several stories, for instance, that Jets' coach Rex Ryan assured North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples in the days preceding the draft that he would be the choice at No. 16. But a team source acknowledged to The Sports Xchange that wasn't exactly the case. And remember, even if it had been, Ryan is prone to hyperbole. In 2010, he told then-free agent defensive end Jason Taylor that he would have 15 sacks if he signed in New York. Taylor had five.

Last season, Ryan predicted that wide receiver Derrick Mason could post 90-100 catches with the Jets. He had 13 in five games and then was traded. And, more notably, Ryan's guarantees of a Super Bowl have fallen short.

In the Bay Area, 49ers' general manager Trent Baalke suggested days before the draft that San Francisco had zeroed in on a specific player, and the perception after the club surprised many by choosing wide receiver A.J. Jenkins with the 30th pick was that the Illinois receiver was the guy targeted. But there are indications that the 49ers would have at least strongly debated Irvin as a possibility.

Of course, the plans by those other teams pondering Irvin were scuttled by Seattle.

The choice of Irvin, who notably was the first "edge" pass-rusher selected Thursday night, despite the availability of several better-known sack-noted players, elicited comments such as "head-scratcher" and "puzzling" from commentators. In draft headquarters around the NFL, however, there was no such criticism.

Especially from the several franchises that coveted Irvin and were burned by the Seattle move.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18881295/seattles-irvin-pick-might-soon-be-seen-as-steal
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigjoe0075 wrote:
Im stupid and have an OL bias? your telling me that we dont need OL depth at LT? Half the players I mentioned are upgrade over Mcquistan.

No, I'd agree that backup LT is a need. But more than half the players you named don't have the ability to play LT and the other half went 2 or more rounds later. It's just a really dumb argumentative method. You're not dumb, but what you're saying is.

Quote:
Because the players i mentioned have the right to be drafted that high and Toomer is an obvious REACH that will have a tough time making this team with the depth we already have. The reason why they were able to be drafted a round after there projection is because Seattle kept taking the 7th round picks ahead of them pushing the better players futher down the board.

I legitimately laughed out loud at the bolded. They have the right to be drafted that high because YOU say so? Because ESPN says so? Because Mel Kiper says so? Well guess what, the guys that actually make the decisions, the NFL staffs, didn't think so. They didn't forget about guys like Marvin McNutt, they just all agreed he wasn't worth more than a late 6th.

The last sentence is just ridiculous. By your standards, nearly every single team had a reach pick.

Quote:
So your saying we didnt continuously REACH for players that would have been available in later rounds? There is only 2 maybe 3 players that could even remotely be considered a value at their pick. the rest of the draft is nothing but average college players with mediocre production.

What I'm saying is, you have no idea who would have been available in later rounds. Had we taken Alfonzo Dennard in the 4th, you would have said that's GREAT value because ESPN told you he's a highly rated prospect. But low and behold he actually would have fallen to the 7th and it actually would have been a "reach". What about Nate Potter? Had we taken him in the 4th you would have said it's a great pick, but considering he lasted until the 7th that actually would have been a reach.

Stop pretending like you know where every player is supposed to be chosen. I'm not. We have no idea, which is why it's ridiculous label all of these as reaches. These guys do more homework on these prospects than anyone you've heard talk about them.

Quote:
arent you the biggest fan of BPA and BVA? So go ahead and justify the value of any of these picks outside Turbin, Wagner and maybe Guy????

Yes I am. Are those the BVAs on my board? Nope. But I'm also not going to pretend like my board is the draft bible. John Schneider has already stated that they didn't plan on taking that many defenders, but that's just how the draft board fell with their best players.

Former Seahawks DLine coach Dan Quinn was the defensive line coach at Florida and apparently praised Jaye Howard for his athletic ability and he was the defensive captain of the Florida team.

Greg Scruggs tested at his Pro Day as the #9 defensive linemen in the entire draft class as far as athletic numbers are concerned. I don't even know how we can label a 7th round pick a reach, but Scruggs has an extremely high ceiling. Russell Wilson wasn't a reach by any stretch of the imagination. He was more highly rated than Nick Foles on just about every board and Foles just went a few picks later.

And no, our QB situation is not fine and dandy. As much as I love Matt Flynn and think he'll succeed, he's no sure thing. Russell Wilson is great insurance for that, the same way Brock Osweiler is great insurance behind Peyton Manning.
Dools=hawks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so LMJ is a 9er?? well that sucks

WINTER IS COMING
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently John Schneider wasn't nearly as high on this 2012 WR class as most of us were.

He just stated that Lockette and Baldwin would have been high 5th rounders in this class.
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Apparently John Schneider wasn't nearly as high on this 2012 WR class as most of us were.

He just stated that Lockette and Baldwin would have been high 5th rounders in this class.
Just popped up on my facebook Laughing I don't if that's really that different of a view than I had. Pretty much everyone I really liked went before round 5. Other than McNutt.

ram29jackson wrote:
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

Just popped up on my facebook Laughing I don't if that's really that different of a view than I had. Pretty much everyone I really liked went before round 5. Other than McNutt.

Facebook? I got that from an inside source.... Anxious
imani

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that in his interview on seahawks.com yesterday, he said this class was pretty average compared to the last 2 years

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome interview with John Schneider that was VERY telling. I'll present in bullet points:

- Top 3 defensive players on the Seahawks board predraft: Luke Kuechly, Mark Barron, and......Bruce Irvin. Said Irvin is the most gifted pass rusher that he's seen in any draft he's been involved in.

- Softy asked when the Seahawks were confident that Irvin would be the pick in the 1st round. John Schneider said before the Combine when they first started watching tape they knew that this kid was special.

- He said had those 3 aforementioned players been chosen prior to their pick, they would have felt like the 1st round was a failure. Stated that Melvin Ingram and Chandler Jones were probably the top players they had left, but they were rated much lower on their board which is why they didn't trade down again.

- He stated that the staff had 2 players that felt they had to have in this draft. Bruce Irvin and Russell Wilson. Schneider said Wilson was the most impressive workout they watched of any QB in this entire class.

- Schneider said that height is obviously a question mark, but the thing that separates Wilson and these other guys he's compared to his his high delivery, hand size, and amazing knowledge of the game. He said the thing that separates bad short QBs and good short QBs are having a great understanding of throwing lanes.

- He also raved about Josh Portis. Tarvaris was never mentioned.

- Stated that the main thing that separated Bobby Wagner and guys like Kendricks or David was Wagner's amazing football IQ. He said Wagner blew them away in their private interview.

- He said this is the best they've felt leaving any of their 3 drafts. Stated that the staff was more prepared than any of the other drafts and he felt like they knocked every pick out.

- He said that while Irvin is a situational pass rusher for year one, he's going to be on the field for roughly 75% of the snaps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 60 of 61

Jump to: