Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

EZ Honestly Reviews Brandon Weeden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: EZ Honestly Reviews Brandon Weeden Reply with quote

So, as you no doubt know, I am not the biggest supporter of drafting Brandon Weeden. But I'll be honest, I've been remiss in my review of him as an actual player.

And so, I've gone back and rewatched every one of Brandon Weeden's throws against Iowa State ('11), Stanford ('11), Texas ('11), Texas Tech ('11) and many of his throws vs Arizona ('10), and Oklahoma ('10) twice. I wanted to see how he was a passer, discounting his age, his experience and his character.

First, let me say before I went to look at the throws I thought i'd see a slightly bigger Colt McCoy, a less accurate Sam Bradford.

I was very very wrong.

Positives:

- Arm Strength- I'll be honest, I discounted his arm strength because of his offense and his injury history. That was a gross disservice. The guy has a live arm, he can make really deep throws with a lot of air travel. Outside of RG3 (and frankly at times even better) no one has a deep ball as good as Weeden.

- Appearance- This is a bit flimsy I suppose but stay with me here. Weeden looks the part, stands strong in the pocket (Best pure pocket passer in the draft), looks down the field, doesn't scramble and always looks to make a play. He has some pocket mobility but doesn't run. He also has a gorgeous spiral to his throws.

- Courage- The guy takes hits, stands in the pocket and attacks opponents. He will throw receivers open, he will fit the ball through tight windows. He knows his strengths and he plays to it. He can and often does stretch the defense vertically and horizontally.

-Quick Release- Maybe its the pitcher in him, but when Weeden goes to throw, he throws. The ball goes from behind his head to his receive in a hear beat. Its very impressive and makes for a very quick throw.

Negatives

-Hit/Miss Accuracy- At times, Blackmon throws perfect passes, back shoulder deep throws, endzone corners, those passes to the sideline where only the receiver can get it. At other times, he just misses. Wide open check downs who he throws at the feet of, receivers over the middle who he just overthrows, deep balls that just go too far. Its not that he's inaccurate, just that he is not consistently accurate.

-Decision Making- Good lord, I thought with his statistics I would hard pressed to find bad throws, but man did he make a lot of them. Part of it was his offense, one read and go, but he still made really bad decisions. he will throw into double and triple coverage, regularly. He will force receivers to go up and make plays when other guys are covered 1 on 1. He has the arm that he can get away with it, but he still does awful things at times.

-Read- He plays in that awful spread air-raid offense. He throws to spots at times (not always bad: see Peyton Manning) but he doesn't look away from the primary read. It helps when you have Justin Blackmon, but in an offense where Greg Little is your first read, you have to be able to move through your progression. I'm not sure he can.

So, what do I think about him? I feel like Brandon Weeden is a very impressive physical player. He is very much not what I thought he was, but instead nearly the opposite. He's far more Jay Cutler than Colt McCoy. At the same time, he's more Rex Grossman than Jay Cutler. I like Weeden more now than I did before going back over the throws, but I still have a lot question marks about him.

There's my take, do you guys feel I'm being fair or did my pre-existing bias show through too much?
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fair. I don't like him in the 2nd round but I love him in the 3rd.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Very fair. I don't like him in the 2nd round but I love him in the 3rd.

Unfortunately in this league we all know that ain't gonna happen.

I agree with your assessment EZ. Although I believe his accuracy is a better than you give him credit for. For those reasons I wouldn't be upset with us taking him between 25-45. If we got him in the 2nd it would be a great choice. It's gonna be him or Cousins.

MINGO ATE YO BABY!
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love threads like this. It's easy to listen to Mayock or Kiper, or read a quick blurb and say that you like a guy or not. Listing out all the positives and negatives of a guy is fantastic.

Thanks for doing this EZ.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbkSR4wtWI&feature=related

^ Bowl game Vs. Stanford

The first pass you see is horrible.

The rest of the game, he makes some pretty nice throws.

I really think he is a similar prospect to Colt, in that he plays in a spread.

He is however, taller and has a MUCH stronger arm. He throws a nice deep ball.

Decision making needs improvement and the reads will be different in the NFL.

I've seen a couple articles these last few days that say people think he will be a Very good QB in the NFL for 5-8 years if his health stays good.

I don't know about you, but i would take that for sure. Even though he's not a franchise guy for 15 years, he puts an end to the worst drought of QB's in our history. In the mean time the team can begin to contend and we can have ample time to groom a QB for when he is done.

I'm alright with him in the 2nd. I really am.

Throw him in there with T-Rich and a WR and a good RT. Nice shot to the arm of our weakest unit.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

I don't know about you, but i would take that for sure. Even though he's not a franchise guy for 15 years, he puts an end to the worst drought of QB's in our history. In the mean time the team can begin to contend and we can have ample time to groom a QB for when he is done.

You either have a franchise QB or you don't. I dont like the idea of drafting a temp, especially if it means we put off or miss out on a franchise. If you think he is good enough to win a Super Bowl with then I agree we can take him.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Estonianzulu"][quote="nugpimpen"]
I don't know about you, but i would take that for sure. Even though he's not a franchise guy for 15 years, he puts an end to the worst drought of QB's in our history. In the mean time the team can begin to contend and we can have ample time to groom a QB for when he is done. [/quote]

You either have a franchise QB or you don't. I dont like the idea of drafting a temp, especially if it means we put off or miss out on a franchise. If you think he is good enough to win a Super Bowl with then I agree we can take him.[/quote]

Id take above average qb play for 5-8 years in a heartbeat. And what i mean by that is tony romo or matt schaub. Good enough to win it all eith a strong team arouns them.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
brownie man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it wouldnt be too bad to have him in the 3rd, but I really dont like him as a prospect all like that.
DawgX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Weeden as a player. As I've said numerous times, I'd take him without a doubt at #22 if he were at least a few years younger. But considering his age and the very strong possibility that he won't be ready to play right away makes me not want to spend a first or second-round pick on him.
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great analysis, and the fact that you did it smacks of high integrity.

I still don't want him...would prefer to spend the pick on a player that I am more sure will fill another hole...now.
nakka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess why we wait for him to bust, Shane Morris would be coming through and we can get him in 4 years time or something.
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, he's a 3rd round grade, before you factor in the age. Hence, he's about a 4th or 5th round grade. I like his physical abilities a lot. I'm just not sure that he's a good decision maker or can read a defense effectively. He's going to go sometime in the 2nd round, because of the need at the position. If the Browns like Weeden enough to draft him, I hope that it's not until the 3rd, or possibly giving up a later pick to move up into the 2nd, from the 3rd. We can do too much with any of our first three picks to use one of them on Weeden, who is a very big risk, to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ, that's a nice writeup, and my eyes tell me mostly the same thing. I see better accuracy than you do. I completely agree with the decision making, as Weeden looks like a gunslinger pretty often, trusting his big arm. In interviews, he sometimes sounds like a meathead, but at other times, he seems pretty intelligent. But either way, it's a pretty balanced view of him.

Here's a writeup I found on Weeden a while back. Warning: It's very long and very thorough, and very pro-Weeden:

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2012/04/draft_winds_breaking_down_bran_1.html

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Weedon has a lot going for him, and he certainly has all the tools needed to play in the NFL. His arm is probably his biggest asset, obviously, the guy was a 2nd round pick out of hs by the Yankees as a pitcher.

The problems I have with Weedon as a prospect are as follows:
*Spead offense: I don't consider this to be the enormous issue some do, but it usually takes some time to transition to the pro game. At 29, how much time does it take him?

*Age: This is the big one for me. While he may be ready to step in and play, he may not. He doesn't really have enough time to 'develop' and then contribute for any length of time.

How much does these issues bother me? Well, I like Weedon as a player, but I can't say I'd be thrilled to see the Browns spend one of their first 3 selections on him. If he were 5-6 years younger, I'd like him a lot more, but he's not.

I've also heard McShay mention that he found him to be very poor when under duress, take that FWIW.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
BearDown79

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EZ Honestly Reviews Brandon Weeden Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
So, as you no doubt know, I am not the biggest supporter of drafting Brandon Weeden. But I'll be honest, I've been remiss in my review of him as an actual player.

And so, I've gone back and rewatched every one of Brandon Weeden's throws against Iowa State ('11), Stanford ('11), Texas ('11), Texas Tech ('11) and many of his throws vs Arizona ('10), and Oklahoma ('10) twice. I wanted to see how he was a passer, discounting his age, his experience and his character.

First, let me say before I went to look at the throws I thought i'd see a slightly bigger Colt McCoy, a less accurate Sam Bradford.

I was very very wrong.

Positives:

- Arm Strength- I'll be honest, I discounted his arm strength because of his offense and his injury history. That was a gross disservice. The guy has a live arm, he can make really deep throws with a lot of air travel. Outside of RG3 (and frankly at times even better) no one has a deep ball as good as Weeden.

- Appearance- This is a bit flimsy I suppose but stay with me here. Weeden looks the part, stands strong in the pocket (Best pure pocket passer in the draft), looks down the field, doesn't scramble and always looks to make a play. He has some pocket mobility but doesn't run. He also has a gorgeous spiral to his throws.

- Courage- The guy takes hits, stands in the pocket and attacks opponents. He will throw receivers open, he will fit the ball through tight windows. He knows his strengths and he plays to it. He can and often does stretch the defense vertically and horizontally.

-Quick Release- Maybe its the pitcher in him, but when Weeden goes to throw, he throws. The ball goes from behind his head to his receive in a hear beat. Its very impressive and makes for a very quick throw.

Negatives

-Hit/Miss Accuracy- At times, Blackmon throws perfect passes, back shoulder deep throws, endzone corners, those passes to the sideline where only the receiver can get it. At other times, he just misses. Wide open check downs who he throws at the feet of, receivers over the middle who he just overthrows, deep balls that just go too far. Its not that he's inaccurate, just that he is not consistently accurate.

-Decision Making- Good lord, I thought with his statistics I would hard pressed to find bad throws, but man did he make a lot of them. Part of it was his offense, one read and go, but he still made really bad decisions. he will throw into double and triple coverage, regularly. He will force receivers to go up and make plays when other guys are covered 1 on 1. He has the arm that he can get away with it, but he still does awful things at times.

-Read- He plays in that awful spread air-raid offense. He throws to spots at times (not always bad: see Peyton Manning) but he doesn't look away from the primary read. It helps when you have Justin Blackmon, but in an offense where Greg Little is your first read, you have to be able to move through your progression. I'm not sure he can.

So, what do I think about him? I feel like Brandon Weeden is a very impressive physical player. He is very much not what I thought he was, but instead nearly the opposite. He's far more Jay Cutler than Colt McCoy. At the same time, he's more Rex Grossman than Jay Cutler. I like Weeden more now than I did before going back over the throws, but I still have a lot question marks about him.

There's my take, do you guys feel I'm being fair or did my pre-existing bias show through too much?

Props to you man. TAPE DON"T LIE. Weeden is a good prospect regardless of his age and @ 37 would be a good spot for you guys to draft him imo. If I were the Cleveland FO I would take Richardson @ 4, Hill/Randle/Wright @ 22 and Weeden @ 37. Thats something you can build on.

Jamison with the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: