Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ranking this years cornerback class

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Str8Wreckin08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Ranking this years cornerback class Reply with quote

This years class is weak compared to 2011draft class. You had guys like Patrick Peterson, Jimmy Smith, Aaron Williams. Then you could go into the second and third rounds and find real good cover corners like Shareece Wright, Marcus Gilcrest, Chris CUlliver, Johnny Patrick. 2011's draft class was deep, so deep where you could get good cover men late into the 5th round.

In 2012, you have guys that are 1st round picks who are ok like Stephen Gilmore, Janoris Jenkins, or guys who may have trouble matching up against elite wr's like Dre Kirkpatrick (who is a heck of a football player but I question his cover skills. But, as in all draft class's, there is talent deep in the draft. And I will show you guys.

1.Cliff Harris Oregon. He's the best (cover man) in this years draft. Best ball skills, (17 passes defended sph year) most versatile in man and zone. The best cover skills in recent years. The smartest corner in this yeasrs draft. Let a team like Sanfrancisco or the Green Bay Packers get ahold of this guy, because he's gonna be a playmaker ragardless. But on a good team with a good secondary coach, he could be a big splash. Not gonna be a first round pick, forget the 40 time he's smooth, plays fast, is the best cover man in this yesars draft.

2.Derrius Brooks Western Kentucky. Has everything you want, quick twitch, quick feet, outstanding ball skills. But the main thing you notice is how he lines up. The play is won before the snap. Great press guy, takes perfect angle to the ball. Is great in cover 3. Dominated in the game against LSU. Made it look easy. This guy is a much better cover man then Morris Claiborne. If you watch his fhighlights, against the smaller schools he plays against h e baits the qb giving the wr a few steps. Against LSU, better competition, he's smothering these wr's. No doubt was he one of the best players on the field. He has top 10 talent.

3.Morris Claiborne LSU. Ball skills. Thats his greatest asset, tracking the ball while its in the air. Your not gonna count on him to tackle, but he's not gonna give up the deep ball. One negative I see as well as in what I saw in Patrick Peterson last year was that he gives up alot underneath. A good cover man is sticky underneath, as well as impossible to beat deep.

4. Kevin Scott Syracuse. Watch the tape. He's a better corner than the guys that are projected to go in the 1st and 2nd round. Elite size 5'11" 202 pounds, technique is flawless, great at tracking the ball, can play any side of the field, great change of direction skills. Match him up with Stephen Gilmore, Josh Robinson, and see who's better.[img]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE4VWdvAy9I&feature=relmfu[/img]

5. I'm gonna do something different here and just make this the people's choice. Here are a few guys that will be servicable cover men in the Nfl. Janoris Jenkins, Josh Robinson, Stephen Gilmore.

Now, there are guys that will go later then some guys but are just as good or maybe better. They have great production, but for some reasons or another like playing on a bad team, they come from a small school, or just lack of exposure these guys will go later but will have better pro carreers then more highly projected prospects.

It has happened like Richard Sherman, Sean Smith who you can make an argument who is a top 10 corner in this league, or a guy like Perish Cox who fell late but was 2nd in the league in pass deflections before his arrest. Being one of the weakest corner classes in recent years, in a few years time we will see some of these underated players in this draft move ahead of the more highly touted players in this class and have better pro carreers because they have matured late, have the same talent and now have great access to Nfl coaching.
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gonna get blasted for this. Laughing

Adopt-A-Duck
Byron Marshall: 168 carries, 1038 yds, 14TDs, 13 rec, 155 yds
Thomas Tyner: 115 carries, 711 yds, 9TDs, 14 rec, 124 yds
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu: 84 tackles, 9 PD, 3 INT
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally don't know where to start.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reminding me about Kevyn Scott. I actually watched him a couple of times this season and liked him as a safety prospect.

Don't think he's a top five corner mind you, but one could do a lot worse than Scott.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
FREDDY T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is actually a pretty strong corner class. Peterson would be the best prospect in this class, but all in all, there are some very talented corners in this draft.

claiborne, gilmore, kirk, jenkins, boykin, heyward, the list goes on
Str8Wreckin08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:
i think this is actually a pretty strong corner class. Peterson would be the best prospect in this class, but all in all, there are some very talented corners in this draft.

See, hears the thing. Shareece Wright, Davon House, Johnny Patrick, Chris Culliver are way better cover men then Gilmore and Kirk . Although I do like Brandon Boykin. You have a good eye on that.

Why don't you name some other good cover men.
Str8Wreckin08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
Thank you for reminding me about Kevyn Scott. I actually watched him a couple of times this season and liked him as a safety prospect.

Don't think he's a top five corner mind you, but one could do a lot worse than Scott.

Yea he would make a good safety like Dashon Goldson or a Nick Collins type safety who is undersized but has range and is tough enough to stop the run. But once again, match him up against Gilmore and Kirpatrick and see who has more plays.
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
I literally don't know where to start.

keepnitgangsta1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the guy in the past that had Jalen Parmele as the best running back in the 2008 draft class.

* CJ2K
* McFadden
* Mendenhall
* Stewart
* F. Jones
* Charles
* Rice
* Forte

Were all in that draft class FYI. Laughing

My NFL Draft Thread
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris weighed 181 at his Pro-Day and is going to be the weight he has to keep at to have NFL success.

He said that was 20-25 pounds heavier than what he played at. So this tape where is is fluid and making plays he was playing at 156-161 pounds.

At his pro-day he struggled in agility tests posting a 7.12 in the 3 cone and 4.31 in the short shuttle.

Bottom line here - Harris cannot continue his success on the field if he is going to play in the 160 range in the NFL. He cannot continue to have the fludity and change of direction skills as he does when he is 160 when he is 180.

Good player with good tape, but he just does not project well into the NFL game at all. And this is completely ignoring all the off field issues he has.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
FREDDY T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Str8Wreckin08 wrote:
FREDDY T wrote:

See, hears the thing. Shareece Wright, Davon House, Johnny Patrick, Chris Culliver are way better cover men then Gilmore and Kirk . Although I do like Brandon Boykin. You have a good eye on that.

Why don't you name some other good cover men.

i can't say I have watched nearly enough of wright, house, patrick and culliver to say they aren't better cover guys, but I am just talking about this class as being strong.

I really like the diversity in the corners. There are high level cover, press man, zone and run defending corners in this draft. Teams are able to really pick corners that fit what they are trying to do on defense
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:

It really isn't. You've got three first round talents (Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, and Jenkins), a slew of second/third round prospects, and more that are fourth or later. Last year's class isn't really fair to compare because that was a ridiculously talented and deep class. It's not really a strong class, especially at the top. The value comes around the fourth round for corners this year.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is bad. Derrius Brooks is nowhere near the cover CB that Claiborne is at this point. I've seen Brooks. He bites consistently on fakes and gets caught looking into the backfield. If he didn't have elite speed, he'd get beaten a lot more often. Great physical athleticism but is a real project as a player. Could be great down the line but has a ways to go.

Your analysis as a whole is just off...

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
FREDDY T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
FREDDY T wrote:

It really isn't. You've got three first round talents (Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, and Jenkins), a slew of second/third round prospects, and more that are fourth or later. Last year's class isn't really fair to compare because that was a ridiculously talented and deep class. It's not really a strong class, especially at the top. The value comes around the fourth round for corners this year.

gilmore wouldnt be considered a top 10 pick if he wasnt a first round talent, boykin and robinson are guys that teams could take in the late first/early second as well.

This may not be the absolute best corner draft, but it certainly is not a weak one.
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREDDY T wrote:
gilmore wouldnt be considered a top 10 pick if he wasnt a first round talent, boykin and robinson are guys that teams could take in the late first/early second as well.

This may not be the absolute best corner draft, but it certainly is not a weak one.

Except he isn't worth it. People are getting way too impressed with his H-W-S combination, and forgetting that he's not a natural corner. His footwork is atrocious (and that's probably being generous), has a high backpedal, and tight hips. Not exactly traits I value in a man corner, and I don't feel highly about zone corners being drafted all that high.

And Brandon Boykin is tiny. I'm sure you'll go and point to Antoine Winfield and Brandon Flowers as to why he can overcome his height, but I'll counter that for everyone Winfield and Flowers, there are a hundred Brandon Harris, Alphonso Smith, and Tye Hill's that can't overcome the height issues.

And people are looking at Josh Robinson's speed and saying he's an early second round talent. He's a smaller corner as well and plays like one. Might have to be a zone corner at the next level.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: