Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

braylon edwards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montana168

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: braylon edwards Reply with quote

i think braylon edwards would be a smart pick for no 1 overall. mike williams is in a close race with this guy but williams is like all the WR we have now. we need a speed WR , which is edwards. he also wont giv us any off the field problems like we had with owens. don't take rodgers! rattay can throw to edwards, woods, and lloyd for one year. if he doesnt get it done then we take one of the QBs in next years draft, preferably matt leinert especially if USC gets a 3 peat.

also we should draft K Mike nugent in 2nd or 3rd round. especially 3rd if hes still there

what does everyone think?
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Edwards better than Williams as well, although Edwards isn't a speed guy...he's faster than Williams, but not a burner like Troy Williamson. I like pciking Nugent as well, if available. Unless there was a prospect at a key position that slipped that far. I'm perfectly happy with Peterson, but I'd love Nugent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my humble opinon we should do this on the first day:
1) Braylon Edwards
2) Adrian McPherson
3) Nugent if he is there, Donte Nicholson or Jamaal Brimmer if he isn't.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way on McPherson. I'm not sure where the hype machine got involved with this guy, but his skills do not override his overwhelming [inappropriate/removed]. He's a piece of sh*t...has been his whole career, and I see no reason why the sudden change.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with crackladen , sort of. i dont really know much about the guy , but i think the last thing we need rite now is a late round qb, we already have enough of those. we need to fill other needs in the later rounds. hopefully draft jj arrington.

1st edwards
2nd trade down and get arrington and an OT
3rd K mike nugent , if hes still there
mauRICE 80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edwards is a good talent but no way on earth he is worth the first pick. If they want Edwards trade down.
reg4422

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone on this board come up with one decent reason why the 9ers need another receiver?

Take a look at the super bowl champs, they do not have a prototypical #1 receiver and I don't think they're looking for one anytime soon. Their O-line is the reason they win not their f ing receivers.

And this is coming from someone who is a huge Michigan fan that loves Braylon Edwards, the fact is receiver is the last position we should draft, except for maybe tight end.

Patriots Receivers:
Deion Branch
David Patten
Troy Brown
David Givens
Bethel Johnson

Niners Receivers:
Brandon Lloyd
Rashaun Woods
Cedric Wilson
Arnaz Battle
Derrick Hamilton
Not to mention Eric Johnson

Personally I would take the young talent that the niners have if you throw in the tight end comparison. Woods and Hamilton barely got a chance to play, let's see what they can do before we write em off.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^Agreed. WR is not a need. But our need positions are not "worth" the top pick (even though I think we should just take whoever we need regardless, but that's just me). I wouldn't be torn to pieces if we took Edwards, but I agree with you that it's not at all a need.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree also I feel are needs are in this order

1)QB- Rat can't stay healthy and Dorsey a backup at best

2)FS- We got torched all year deep. Heard got beat and when carpenter was in he got beat too

3)O-Line- Were in a lot better shape than most think. Kwame, Smiley are coming around and hopefully Newberry will be healthy

4) HB- We need another guy to put pressure on Barlow thats when he plays better.

5) D-line- We are moving to the 3-4 so I don't think this is a big need if Issac can stay healthy.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauRICE 80 wrote:
I agree also I feel are needs are in this order

1)QB- Rat can't stay healthy and Dorsey a backup at best

2)FS- We got torched all year deep. Heard got beat and when carpenter was in he got beat too

3)O-Line- Were in a lot better shape than most think. Kwame, Smiley are coming around and hopefully Newberry will be healthy

4) HB- We need another guy to put pressure on Barlow thats when he plays better.

5) D-line- We are moving to the 3-4 so I don't think this is a big need if Issac can stay healthy.

Take QB and HB out of there and you got it. O-line has to be priority #1. And Carpenter didn't play very much at safety...he had to play CB because of all the injuries. I'd like to see him at safety some.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpenter played saftey 2years ago and played some last year also.

Your crazy if you think the niners dont need a QB and a backup RB
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauRICE 80 wrote:
Carpenter played saftey 2years ago and played some last year also.

But Carpenter played fairly well out at CB last year, considering he was a backup safety going into the year. I wouldn't mind seeing him at FS...if his coverage skills were at best average for a CB, that would still make them quite good for a S. And he made some big plays last year too. I'd like to see him get a shot.

Quote:
Your crazy if you think the niners dont need a QB and a backup RB

Actually, I'm not. We need offensive line first and foremost. That would take care of many problems. If we need a QB to come in and compete, get it in either the mid-rounds or through FA. But Rattay needs to play more: going back to the West Coast Offense will be great for him, as he studied it for 3 years before having to run a different offense altogether. He'll already be way ahead of the curve in terms of terminology and knowledge of the playbook. Health is an issue, but he deserves a chance to prove himself some more.
Same story with RB...the offensive line needs to be upgraded first. Barlow may be able to get the job done. If we want someone to come in and compete and play change of pace, let's sign a FA like Chester Taylor from Baltimore, who is affordable, but a solid, talented player. But the offensive line is undoubtedly the most important component that needs to be upgraded.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for the burning reason of why we need a receiver from everyone who wants Edwards and Williams.

Crackladen -

I agree with you on most everything except for Nugent and the #1 overall. At this point though I don't see many takers for the #1(I'm hoping Ronnie Brown continues to impress though maybe someone will trade up to get him.) I still want to know who you want if not Rodgers at #1. I think if we draft based on our need we will be paying a middle round pick #1 overall money(Barron, J Brown, Davis etc.), and finances is what got our team in the [inappropriate/removed] in the first place.
CrackLaden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're going to make what I feel is a mistake by taking a QB at #1, let's at least pick the correct QB and take Smith. Let me hit you with some stats from another board:

20-yard short shuttle
ALEX SMITH 3.96

VS.

20-yard short shuttle (WRs)
Reggie Brown 3.94
Chad Owens 3.94
Courtney Roby 3.94
Rasheed Marshall 3.95
Mark Clayton 4.00
Airese Currie 4.07

VS.

20-yard short shuttle (RBs)
Noah Herron 3.97
Darren Sproles 3.96
Ronnie Brown 4.08
Eric Shelton 4.08
Ryan Moats 4.10
--------------------------------------------
Three-cone
ALEX SMITH 6.82

VS.

Three-cone (WRs)
Courtney Roby 6.60
Chad Owens 6.70
Jamaica Rector 6.78
Rasheed Marshall 6.81
Mark Clayton 6.95

VS.

Three-cone (RBs)
J.J. Arrington 6.81
Carnell Williams 6.91
Noah Herron 6.95
Darren Sproles 6.96
Vernand Morency 7.02

Those exercises are meant to show dexterity and mobility and ability to shift gears, etc. etc. etc. As in, more a measure of how running in the NFL is, as opposed to straight line speed like the 40. Talk about athleticism. Smith is an extremely mobile QB. More accurate than Rodgers (though Rodgers is accurate too). If we keep the pick, and have to take a Q, let's go with Smith. Thanks heaps to JimmyPage on the other board for these awesome stats.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Braylon Edwards Reply with quote

In what time between Braylon Edwards last college game up until now has he suddenly become a speed reciever?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: