Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Draft Thread - 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
Why not? Maybe 1 or 2 guys could be argued over him, but those are people who don't make sense for us like Floyd and MAYBE Kirkpatrick

BEcause Barron is a stiff in the box SS.
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who would be a better choice?

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
But who would be a better choice?

Than Barron?

Perry
Branch
Glenn
DeCastro
Reiff
Brockers

There's more but those are the main guys.
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Perry is no where close to Barron talent wise. If this OLB class didnt suck so bad, Perry would be a 2nd rounder.
Andre Branch is a mid 2nd round talent.
Glenn isn't as talented as Barron either but atleast he actually has 1st round talent.
DeCastro is arguable but still most people would agree that Barron is more talented.
Reiff isn't a choice because there's no way he falls to 18.
I'll give you Brockers though.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
lakeroy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
Let's just say we stay at 18:

1) Mark Barron, SS, Alabama (Barron is a better pick than Floyd for us and no one else that makes sense is good enough for the 18th pick)
2) Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall (He's a great pass rusher and would be an awesome compliment to JJ)
3) One of the Miami guards (Brooks from Ohio or Washington from FL)
4) RB/CB
5) CB/RB
6) WR/TE/NT
7) TE/NT/WR

It would be cool if AJ took one of the high value, low risk, (in terms of what pick we use) bad character guys in this draft. There are so many. Dennard, Cliff Harris, and Burfict should be no brainers if there in the 5th. Dennard wouldn't be unreasonable in the 4th IMO. But of course, we have AJ. Still though, it seems like he's trying to take the team a different direction.
Thank god you aren't the GM. If our draft turned out like this I would be so mad.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
LOL Perry is no where close to Barron talent wise. If this OLB class didnt suck so bad, Perry would be a 2nd rounder.
Andre Branch is a mid 2nd round talent.
Glenn isn't as talented as Barron either but atleast he actually has 1st round talent.
DeCastro is arguable but still most people would agree that Barron is more talented.
Reiff isn't a choice because there's no way he falls to 18.
I'll give you Brockers though.

There's no reason to hate Perry. At all. He has plus size (he'll drop weight), he has explosiveness, he has run defending ability, he's a better pass rusher than anyone in this class, he's made Jonathan Martin look like a joke...... His talent level is so much higher than Barron it is ridiculous. He carries probably 40 extra pounds and his 40 times is not much slower than what Barron would run.

Branch? Mid 2nd talent? Ok.

Anybody who thinks BArron is a better prospect that DeCastro needs to never ever mention their draft opinion again.

What about Barron makes him talented at all? Dude was protected by Alabama's devastating front 7. He's Roman Harper.
OILCHIEFS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm in a GM mock draft and i had to double up with the chargers.

Just wonder if you guys could give me a list of your biggest needs so I don't go fishin in the dark

Tamba Hali
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size, speed, physical, run stuffer, smart player, tough, and decent ball skills.

And he was one of the leaders of that defense

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
Size, speed, physical, run stuffer, smart player, tough, and decent ball skills.

And he was one of the leaders of that defense

Speed? What speed? He ran a 4.54 at a Pro Day. He's got tight hips. If Mark Barron is a top 15 pick, Lester is a top 5 pick. Because he is far better than Barron. This SS class sucks. Put Steve Gregory behind Jesse Williams, Josh Chapman, Courtney Upshaw, etc and he'd look great too.
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually 4.54 is on par with the rest of the SSs this year. But he plays faster than his 40 time and he has a good burst. 40s are overrated anyways. If 40s meant anything, then Vincent Brown would be the worst player in the NFL.

Barron's a top 20 safety in a weak class.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
Actually 4.54 is on par with the rest of the SSs this year. But he plays faster than his 40 time and he has a good burst. 40s are overrated anyways. If 40s meant anything, then Vincent Brown would be the worst player in the NFL.

Barron's a top 20 safety in a weak class.

4.54 at a Pro Day? Not good.

I don't see anything special in Barron. At all. He's not that athletic and is stiff. Major problem for a SS having to cover players like Gronk.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
Thank god you aren't the GM. If our draft turned out like this I would be so mad.

Going off recent history, AJ Smiths drafts have made plenty of us mad.

What I find funny is Perry is graded out very similarly to Larry English coming out. The circumstances are different, but it is funny how the fan base always really wants the Californian guy.

Quote:
-Floyd would be a steal at 18 for a WR needy team, and supposedly AJ was really impressed at his pro day. Still though, we have Malcolm, Meach, and Brown already. Brown has definitely earned a WR3 spot so there's no reason to bring in a first round guy. But since Malcolm's contract is up after the year, it's possible we take Michael Floyd.

I agree with this, and I could see it happening, but I think Floyd will go earlier.

As for Barron I would prefer to stay away at 18, but it is a player I think AJ will target simply because we have no one at the other safety spot besides Bigby. That screams weakpoint of defense.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea as to what time the Chargers should be OTC for round 1,2,3? Looking east coast time preferably. Really like to watch but I have a feeling we'll be on too late for me lol.

As for what to do...

DeCastro if there seems like the best move. Doubt AJ would do it with his normal no O-line in the first mind set.
Floyd I really like, he would be great value at 18. Even with our stock pile of WRs currently I think he would be a good pick. Malcolm is going to miss time and his contract is running out plus he is starting to get up there in age. Bring in Mike to run with Brown/Meachem for the long run.

I think we go OLB in the 2nd, possibly moving up in the 2nd to grab someone on AJ's radar but maybe not even doing that. Reason is, we actually have a decent looking OLB squad with JJ coming in. Combine that with English being healthy (to begin with) and Barnes emerging I feel we might just put off the OLB position till late. Now I know there is some age at the position with SP95 and JJ but I'm actually comfortable with the position currently.

It is going to be fun to see what we are able to do though, so many different ways that this could play out. I love the draft like a fat boy loves cake! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling AJ is going to make a trade or two this week, going by past history he usually doesn't go 2 straight drafts without making a move. Now I'm just going to look at the pure pick for pick trades and not ones like Chambers for a 2nd or Crayton for a 7th.

Some of the recent trades he has made:

2010:
Chargers get:
Ryan Mathews
Darrell Stuckey
Pick 176 (used by San Franciscio on Anthony Dixon)

for

Jared Odrick
Koa Misi
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Tim Dobbins

At the time it hurt to lose that high 2nd round pick, but I think the Chargers got the better end of this trade.

Chargers get
Donald Butler

for

Navorro Bowman
Anthony Dixon
Kendall Hunter

49ers win this trade. Bowman is a better player at this point than Butler, although neither have reached their full potential yet. The 2 backup runningbacks are a nice throw-in for the 49ers.

Chargers get
Cam Thomas

for

Riley Cooper
Dion Lewis

At this point I think the Charger won this trade, Cam Thomas has played nicely as a reserve and may be the starter down the road.

Chargers get
Jacob Hester

for

Josh Johnson
Michael Mitchell

New England traded both the picks we gave them away, and eventually got Ron Brace and Matthew Slater. The main issue for this trade wasn't the value given up, but the fact it was given up to take a fullback. Jamaal Charles, Dan Conner, and Mario Manningham went in the next 10/20 picks and if we made a trade for one of them it would have been fine. As for the 2nd round pick given up, it could have been used for LeSean McCoy, Shonn Greene or other spots.

And finally

Chargers get:
Eric Weddle

for

Marcus Harrison
Garrett Wolfe
Dan Bazuin
Kevin Payne

It isn't often a 4-1 trade works out for the '1' side, but in this case it was clearly a good move on the Chargers part. They got a pro bowl safety for 3 premium picks and a 5th, yet the Bears missed on all 4. Yet it begs the questions, if the Charegrs were so high on Weddle, why not take him with the first round pick and take your chances on a WR in round 2? I remember how deep this WR class was, and guys like Sidney Rice, Steve Smith, Jacoby Jones, James Jones, Laurent Robinson, and a bunch of others could have been had in rounds 2/3.

Overall the Hester trade is the real only 'bad' one recently. The others have resulted in good players, and although we questioned them at the time, these picks have ended up as the real only good ones lately. Almost all the good draft picks of the years 2007-2010 came from the trade ups.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
Any idea as to what time the Chargers should be OTC for round 1,2,3? Looking east coast time preferably. Really like to watch but I have a feeling we'll be on too late for me lol.

1 pick is 10 minutes for the first round. So we should be picking around the 3rd hour, or 11 eastern. But that's if there is no trade. To be safe I would turn it on a half hour early or so though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: