Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers Draft Thread - 2012
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Chargers Draft Thread - 2012 Reply with quote

Hello all Chargers fans, I have returned from my hibernation to bring you the 2012 Charger draft thread! Please excuse my poor photoshop (MS Paint) skills. If anyone is willing to make better banners or add anything to the front post, please PM me or leave a message here.

The Chargers enter this draft hoping to add some depth and long term solutions to the defense. While offensive line, tight end, and back up running back may be looked at, and some mocks have the Chargers going DeCastro at #18, I firmly believe the team needs to get a solution for outside linebacker, safety, and other areas of the defense. Right now I only see Martin, Luiget, Butler, and Weddle as long term guys on the defense, with Cam Thomas, Jonas Mouton, Marcus Gilchrist, and Darrell Stuckey as guys who need to start improving if they want to be a starter year in and year out.

Areas of need in AntonioGates' opinion:
Safety
Outside linebacker
Nose Tackle
Running back
Tight end
Offensive tackle
Interior offensive line

When: April 26-28. First round at 5pm PST!
Where to watch: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/live
Who: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/prospects/

Tracker: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/tracker/by-name#dt-tabs:dt-by-round

TRADES:
Chargers trade Picks 78 and 183 to Miami for pick 73

Some players projected by fans/ draft analysts to be our pick
OG DeCastro- http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/david-decastro?id=2533043
OT Reiff - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/riley-reiff?id=2533042
OLB Perry - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/nick-perry?id=2533048
OLB Upshaw - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/courtney-upshaw?id=2532964
OLB Mercilus - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/whitney-mercilus?id=2533049
OLB McClellin - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/shea-mcclellin?id=2532907
Safety Barron - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/mark-barron?id=2532789
Safety Smith - http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/harrison-smith?id=2532948

And a little blast to the past:

2011 Thread
2010 Thread
2009 Thread

A note from LBC:

Some Reminders:
--This is our forum's official draft thread. Any and all members are allowed, even encouraged, to create threads discussing a particular pick and how he fits for us. But this is the catch-all thread for any general Chargers/NFL draft talk. Please do not create threads to discuss another team's pick, instead please use this thread. Between myself (The LBC) and AntonioGates, we will keep this page updated with our picks and trades in as close to real time as possible. So if you miss a couple rounds or pick here or there, you can consult this post.

--Bookmark the Chargers Forum and whatever other forums you might want to visit during the draft. FootballsFuture as a whole is likely to be very busy Thursday and Friday and I've found it's quicker to just add a few forums to my favorites list for quick and easy access.

--You might want to consider switching the Forum Style to "subSilver" during the draft. The forums will load A LOT faster using that forum style rather than the standard "FF" style. To do this go to your Profile, scroll down to "Preferences" and select "subSilver" from the drop down list on the "Board Style."

--Please remember that all Forum Rules will be strictly enforced during the draft. Members will not be afforded any more leeway during the draft than they would at any other time. If you're unhappy about a pick or a trade you are free to express your displeasure so long as you do so within the bounds of the forum rules.

-- One of the three of us will be here during all 7 rounds of the draft and will hang out after each round to discuss the day's events and moderate the forum. If you have a problem with another member, please PM one of us. The Webmaster and the Global Moderators will also be here and will be checking in on every forum. You do not want to get in trouble and end up being suspended during the draft, so please follow the rules. Ignore all trolling comments as we the mods will handle them as quickly as possible.

--Have fun! The draft is Christmas for football fans and it will be especially exciting for Chargers fans this year with our handful of early picks and given that this is typically the biggest influx of new talent to our team, given our generally minor-player status in free agency!

Last edited by AntonioGates on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a Perry #58 jersey AJ!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use this to get to any of the forums

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=

All you need to do is add a number on to the end. The numbers for the important forums are

Chargers - 32
TAST - 5
NFL Gen - 3
News - 50
Draft - 1

I know everybody wants an OLB early, but it's not gonna happen. They signed Johnson, and they're giving English another year. They'll grab one in the mid-late rounds to groom for next year.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJ said that a pass rusher was one of our biggest needs.
mgoblue44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be at the draft this year! Cant wait, should be a lot of fun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgoblue44 wrote:

Someday that is a trip I want to make. Maybe a year if there is a college player I really like who is expected to go top 5, or if the Chargers keep on their downward spiral and get a high pick.

Also want to go to Canton. Maybe when Tomlinson or Gates get inducted.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgoblue44 wrote:

I really want to go. Except being a high school student and having no one being interested in going even if I wasn't sucks. Laughing
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Chandler Jones?

I would prefer we took a 2nd, 3rd round OLB instead though since we brought in the guy from the Ravens.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Incidental contact? His blind are you?
lakeroy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:

I would prefer we took a 2nd, 3rd round OLB instead though since we brought in the guy from the Ravens.
Not a huge fan of Jones, but I would prefer that we just go OLB round 1. It's still our biggest need imo, and it appears that the most value at 18 will come from that position. There isn't a SS worthy of the 18th pick imo, don't see us taking a CB in the 1st round again(it would be what, 5 times in the last 12 years?), we have no need for an ILB, there won't be an NT worthy of the 18th pick, and the pick obviously won't be used for anyone on offense(the only needs we have on offense, other than backup RB, are on the Oline and AJ has never taken an olinemen in the 1st round). So it's between a 34DE or a 34OLB and I personally would prefer it to be a 34OLB(unless if Fletcher Cox miraculously fell to us at 1Cool.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:

Jones is a late first. Personally not a possibility, but he has an Aldon Smith look (not saying he is Aldon Smith, but like his brother, Chandler has freakish arms and is a long strider)
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler could be an AJ type pick. He's one of the best pass rushers in the draft and that is arguably our biggest need. Trading down seems pretty likely for us anyway.

In terms of value in the first round:

-Barron will be BPA at 18 unless Floyd is around
-Floyd would be a steal at 18 for a WR needy team, and supposedly AJ was really impressed at his pro day. Still though, we have Malcolm, Meach, and Brown already. Brown has definitely earned a WR3 spot so there's no reason to bring in a first round guy. But since Malcolm's contract is up after the year, it's possible we take Michael Floyd.
-Poe is good value in the 18-21 range, but since we locked Garay up and we have Cam it wont happen.
-A trade down to the 23-25 area for Glenn would be a good idea. G/OT is a major need and he could be BPA.
-Harrison Smith around pick 30 would be solid if we don't like Barron.
-McClellin is good value in the real late first.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just say we stay at 18:

1) Mark Barron, SS, Alabama (Barron is a better pick than Floyd for us and no one else that makes sense is good enough for the 18th pick)
2) Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall (He's a great pass rusher and would be an awesome compliment to JJ)
3) One of the Miami guards (Brooks from Ohio or Washington from FL)
4) RB/CB
5) CB/RB
6) WR/TE/NT
7) TE/NT/WR

It would be cool if AJ took one of the high value, low risk, (in terms of what pick we use) bad character guys in this draft. There are so many. Dennard, Cliff Harris, and Burfict should be no brainers if there in the 5th. Dennard wouldn't be unreasonable in the 4th IMO. But of course, we have AJ. Still though, it seems like he's trying to take the team a different direction.

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:

Last edited by Stone85 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
Chandler could be an AJ type pick. He's one of the best pass rushers in the draft and that is arguably our biggest need. Trading down seems pretty likely for us anyway.

In terms of value in the first round:

-Barron will be BPA at 18 unless Floyd is around
-Floyd would be a steal at 18 for a WR needy team, and supposedly AJ was really impressed at his pro day. Still though, we have Malcolm, Meach, and Brown already. Brown has definitely earned a WR3 spot so there's no reason to bring in a first round guy. But since Malcolm's contract is up after the year, it's possible we take Michael Floyd.
-Poe is good value in the 18-21 range, but since we locked Garay up and we have Cam it wont happen.
-A trade down to the 23-25 area for Glenn would be a good idea. G/OT is a major need and he could be BPA.
-Harrison Smith around pick 30 would be solid if we don't like Barron.
-McClellin is good value in the real late first.

In no world should Mark Barron be the best player available at 18. Laughing
Stone85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? Maybe 1 or 2 guys could be argued over him, but those are people who don't make sense for us like Floyd and MAYBE Kirkpatrick

Made by El ramster
MaddHatter wrote:
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone85 wrote:
Let's just say we stay at 18:

1) Mark Barron, SS, Alabama (Barron is a better pick than Floyd for us and no one else that makes sense is good enough for the 18th pick)
2) Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall (He's a great pass rusher and would be an awesome compliment to JJ)
3) One of the Miami guards (Brooks from Ohio or Washington from FL)
4) RB/CB
5) CB/RB
6) WR/TE/NT
7) TE/NT/WR

It would be cool if AJ took one of the high value, low risk, (in terms of what pick we use) bad character guys in this draft. There are so many. Dennard, Cliff Harris, and Burfict should be no brainers if there in the 5th. Dennard wouldn't be unreasonable in the 4th IMO. But of course, we have AJ. Still though, it seems like he's trying to take the team a different direction.

No. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: