Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bounty Gate Mock!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the Bounty Gate suspensions impact who we draft?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: The Bounty Gate Mock! Reply with quote

First I’ll start off by saying that I’m 100% a “best player available” guy but through recent years I’ve evolved into a BPA at a position of need thinker. No other draft might personify that more than this upcoming draft. With the looming defensive suspensions for the Bounty Gate saga this team will likely look to fill potential needs at areas where under normal circumstances they might have gone in another direction.

Is this philosophy correct? Maybe… maybe not, but this is a team focused on making a strong Super Bowl run with or without Sean Payton and will likely target players to help them weather the storm that is the Bounty Gate suspensions.

Now, with that mindset… here is my projected BG mock draft:

3rd round
Antonio Allen (Safety) South Carolina

First, let me say that I love our depth at the Safety position. Amaya and Abdul are quality reserves but that is where they need to remain. The top 3 targets for suspensions in Bounty Gate seem to be Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith and Roman Harper. In this case South Carolina strong safety Antonio Allen seems like a logical choice here in round three. Allen is built in the mold much like Harper; he’s a big physical enforcer with above average coverage ability and surprising athletic ability. In my opinion Allen is a 2nd round talent that will fall to the latter part of the 3rd round due to questions about his straight line speed and the fact that he’s purely a strong safety in the NFL. Adding Allen provides us with a quality option in the event Harper is lost for a major portion of the season and would provide great competition at the SS spot in training camp.

Also, Harper’s age and contract status combined with the uncertainty of exactly how he’ll fit in Spagnuolo’s scheme would be another reason that adding his eventual successor here would be a wise decision.

4th round
Tyrone Crawford (Defensive End) Boise State

I think we all want and hope Greg Romeus to succeed next season but there are still major injury concerns with him. Will Smith will likely be lost for some part of the season due to the BG suspensions so adding quality depth on the defensive line for a new defensive coordinator you utilizes his front seven to generate pressure is vital to our success on defense in 2012. Crawford isn’t a well know commodity in the media but NFL scouts know this guy is oozing with potential. He possesses prototypical size for a 43 defensive end and plays with a powerful base. Crawford is also versatile enough to kick inside or even athletic enough to play standing up. He’d provide solid depth to the defensive front in the absence of Smith as well as insurance in the event that Romeus doesn’t bounce back from his injuries the way we all hope.

5th round
Michael Harris (Cornerback) Florida State

Harris is the first pick in this mock not BG related. Corner depth is a need for this club and although Harris lacks straight line speed, he’s quick out of his backpedal and has fluid hips. Harris plays much bigger than his size would indicate (5’10” 190lb) and can man up with bigger receivers in the slot. Harris’s addition would give the Saints four quality young corners on the roster in Greer, Robinson, Patrick and Harris.

6th round
Dominique Hamilton (Defensive Tackle) Missouri

When I look at this roster I still see a need for depth at the defensive tackle position. The addition of Broderick Buckley was a great move for our starting lineup but depth is needed behind him. Hamilton had a poor showing at the NFL combine but his game tape tells a different story. On film, Hamilton displays the ability to be an above average two down run defender with untapped potential as an interior pass rusher. The former Mizzou Tiger possesses a big powerful body with a huge wingspan that if given the opportunity could possibly flourish in Spagnuolo’s scheme as a key reserve in 2012.

7th round
Garrick Williams (Outside Linebacker) Texas A&M

Although the Saints have made significant progress in upgrading their line backing core, one can still make the case for added depth. Williams to me is a clone of recent Saints FA signing David Hawthorne who was an undrafted free agent out of TCU. The former Aggie has a similar skill set to Hawthorne; he seems most comfortable on the inside but also possesses the athletic ability and size to kick out to either outside positions which seems to be the trend Spagnuolo is targeting. Garrick would add solid depth as Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s replacement as a reserve swing MLB/SLB in Nawlins. Williams career in the NFL could turn out to metalize much like Hawthorne’s has so who else better to learn from than the man himself.

NOTE:From everything I’ve read we will not be receiving Washington’s 6th rounder. As Jamal Brown played less than 90% of the team’s offensive snaps in 2011. If anyone has heard otherwise please link me and I will update accordingly.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
SWATcha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All defense is good, but I really think the Saints need to burn at least one pick on an OLine guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but a question again. Do we have one or two sixth rounders(Miami and Redskins?)?

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Bounty Gate Mock! Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
First I’ll start off by saying that I’m 100% a “best player available” guy but through recent years I’ve evolved into a BPA at a position of need thinker. No other draft might personify that more than this upcoming draft. With the looming defensive suspensions for the Bounty Gate saga this team will likely look to fill potential needs at areas where under normal circumstances they might have gone in another direction.

Is this philosophy correct? Maybe… maybe not, but this is a team focused on making a strong Super Bowl run with or without Sean Payton and will likely target players to help them weather the storm that is the Bounty Gate suspensions.

Now, with that mindset… here is my projected BG mock draft:

3rd round
Antonio Allen (Safety) South Carolina

First, let me say that I love our depth at the Safety position. Amaya and Abdul are quality reserves but that is where they need to remain. The top 3 targets for suspensions in Bounty Gate seem to be Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith and Roman Harper. In this case South Carolina strong safety Antonio Allen seems like a logical choice here in round three. Allen is built in the mold much like Harper; he’s a big physical enforcer with above average coverage ability and surprising athletic ability. In my opinion Allen is a 2nd round talent that will fall to the latter part of the 3rd round due to questions about his straight line speed and the fact that he’s purely a strong safety in the NFL. Adding Allen provides us with a quality option in the event Harper is lost for a major portion of the season and would provide great competition at the SS spot in training camp.

Also, Harper’s age and contract status combined with the uncertainty of exactly how he’ll fit in Spagnuolo’s scheme would be another reason that adding his eventual successor here would be a wise decision.

4th round
Tyrone Crawford (Defensive End) Boise State

I think we all want and hope Greg Romeus to succeed next season but there are still major injury concerns with him. Will Smith will likely be lost for some part of the season due to the BG suspensions so adding quality depth on the defensive line for a new defensive coordinator you utilizes his front seven to generate pressure is vital to our success on defense in 2012. Crawford isn’t a well know commodity in the media but NFL scouts know this guy is oozing with potential. He possesses prototypical size for a 43 defensive end and plays with a powerful base. Crawford is also versatile enough to kick inside or even athletic enough to play standing up. He’d provide solid depth to the defensive front in the absence of Smith as well as insurance in the event that Romeus doesn’t bounce back from his injuries the way we all hope.

5th round
Michael Harris (Cornerback) Florida State

Harris is the first pick in this mock not BG related. Corner depth is a need for this club and although Harris lacks straight line speed, he’s quick out of his backpedal and has fluid hips. Harris plays much bigger than his size would indicate (5’10” 190lb) and can man up with bigger receivers in the slot. Harris’s addition would give the Saints four quality young corners on the roster in Greer, Robinson, Patrick and Harris.

6th round
Dominique Hamilton (Defensive Tackle) Missouri

When I look at this roster I still see a need for depth at the defensive tackle position. The addition of Broderick Buckley was a great move for our starting lineup but depth is needed behind him. Hamilton had a poor showing at the NFL combine but his game tape tells a different story. On film, Hamilton displays the ability to be an above average two down run defender with untapped potential as an interior pass rusher. The former Mizzou Tiger possesses a big powerful body with a huge wingspan that if given the opportunity could possibly flourish in Spagnuolo’s scheme as a key reserve in 2012.

7th round
Garrick Williams (Outside Linebacker) Texas A&M

Although the Saints have made significant progress in upgrading their line backing core, one can still make the case for added depth. Williams to me is a clone of recent Saints FA signing David Hawthorne who was an undrafted free agent out of TCU. The former Aggie has a similar skill set to Hawthorne; he seems most comfortable on the inside but also possesses the athletic ability and size to kick out to either outside positions which seems to be the trend Spagnuolo is targeting. Garrick would add solid depth as Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s replacement as a reserve swing MLB/SLB in Nawlins. Williams career in the NFL could turn out to metalize much like Hawthorne’s has so who else better to learn from than the man himself.

NOTE:From everything I’ve read we will not be receiving Washington’s 6th rounder. As Jamal Brown played less than 90% of the team’s offensive snaps in 2011. If anyone has heard otherwise please link me and I will update accordingly.

WHODAT

I tend to agree with the selections of Mr. Worm Smile

However, I think instead of another LB we get Oline depth and eventual replacement option for Bushrod (who if makes Pro Bowl again will likely be gone for a bigger payday).

^NS922 on the sig^
MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the possible suspensions, one must look to the team in the long run. Where are the positions of greatest need? And, who will be ending their contract in the not too distant future? I do not see Allen stepping in and starting. He might, but I do believe the two safeties we have in Abdul Quddas and Amaya might have the edge anyway. Pro Football Weekly says he does not possess "starter-caliber smarts and instincts". Lindy's likes him a bit more, but considers his natural positon to be FS, not SS. He actually played a bit of LB type position at times at S. Carolina. I believe the greatest need may be to shore up the DT position. Bunkley is a nice addition, but neither Franklin or Rodgers has yet to sign with any team. Nor have the Saints re-signed Jeff Charleston. Tom Johnson was a pleasant surprise, but is mostly a rotational player. My suggestion is to trade down, hopefully with someone like Cleveland and pick up a late fourth or early fifth round pick.

Pick #101 Kheeston Randle, DT - Texas. He is strong and had poorer statistics last year playing mostly a NT role occupying two blockers. Most of what I have read suggests he will be a better pro than college player. He is strong and can deal with double teams.

Next, I would suggest a big body who can cover at safety. I hope that Brandon Hardin would be there at #122. He missed last year with injury and even has the speed to play corner. It has been reported that Spags prefers two FS types and Hardin is 6' 2 5/8" inches and weighs about 220 lbs. He also runs in the 4.4 to 4.5 range. Check out his pro day! Remember, we do expect better LB play this year as well. I think he would be a good fit/steal in the late fourth.

OL depth is a need. Bushrod is in his final year and the heir apparent is Charles Brown. Strief has been serviceable, but is more of a backup. I see the Saints continuing to find starting talent in the middle rounds. This year, Tom Compton is my pick at #139 with extra fifth we got from trading down with Cleveland. He is from S. Dakota, but has impressed in the post season and at his recent pro day. He projects as a RT and also could play guard.

Late fifth round #157 is Asa Jackson, CB from Cal Poly. I think he sees the field as much, if not more than did Johnny Patrick last year.

Hopefully, our early sixth round pick, #178 could be Devon Wylie, WR from Fresno State. He is also a KR to back up Sproles. He runs in the 4.3's and can break a play if not tackled immediately. Speed affects the way the defense plays and Brees has repeatedly made teams pay for not giving our WR's sufficient cushion. He would be another weapon.

Our seventh round pick is a crap shoot. But, how about a 1st team ACC DT/DE, Matt Conrath of Virginia. He needs to get stronger, but just last year blocked three kicks. At nearly 6' 8", he gives the Saints another weapon on defense they currently do not possess. And, this aids the depth at both DL positions. Now, if we do not re-sign Franklin, Rodgers, or Charleston, we will have a younger, more affordable cap wise player, who has some decent upside.

In reality, I look forward to being pleasantly surprised. Loomis has high motivation to improve this team. And, based on our FA signings, I will trust his judgement. GO SAINTS!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: