Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Phillip Rivers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Phillip Rivers Reply with quote

Report is he doesn't want his team leaving San Diego for LA/he doesn't want to uproot his family. Which means he is either traded, franchised, or retires after this year. Or at least that seems like the only options since SD is most likely going to be moving to LA.

Is there any way we can get him here for the next 4-5 years? I can't imagine a way to fit him in given our cap situation but man it's fun to think about. Eli and Rivers playing in NY/NJ, sharing a stadium, and playing against each other this year. Sign me up! Laughing

If Mariota is there at 6 and they offer him straight up (assuming we could hammer out a way to keep him past this year) I'd make that trade all day.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were rumors of him being traded a year or two ago. Can't see them trading him right now. It'd be different if they had a top 5 pick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
There were rumors of him being traded a year or two ago. Can't see them trading him right now. It'd be different if they had a top 5 pick.

Well that's sort of what I'm saying. It would be a draft day trade to get Mariota. That way they would still have their other 1st as well plus the new face of their franchise. I just don't see how the Jets could make it work money wise. We are kind of gearing up to take the Seahawks approach to loading up a team and getting a QB for cheap in the draft.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

Well that's sort of what I'm saying. It would be a draft day trade to get Mariota. That way they would still have their other 1st as well plus the new face of their franchise. I just don't see how the Jets could make it work money wise. We are kind of gearing up to take the Seahawks approach to loading up a team and getting a QB for cheap in the draft.
Are you saying we'd swap 1sts and get Rivers or?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see them trading him.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

No I'm saying we give our 6 for Rivers straight up on draft day if Mariota is sitting there. So the Chargers would have 2 firsts using the 6th overall pick on Mariota. Again I don't think it could be done on our end but damn it would make sense given the talent we just brought in.
Mr.O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interested in Rivers at this point

Props to CL on the sig
#VicBeasleyHypeTrain
drew39k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not interested in a straight trade of 6 for rivers. Would need something in return . Likely the chargers second rounder. He is getting older and doesn't have a postseason record that would really justify his erratic play and injury history plus his salary too.
Technically yes... BUT by laws of playoff football, The Andrew Lucks lost to the Quarterbackbowl 47 winning Joe Flaccos. Whereas the Russel Wilsons lost to the Matt Ryans, who didnt even beat the Colin Kaepernicks.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

No I'm saying we give our 6 for Rivers straight up on draft day if Mariota is sitting there. So the Chargers would have 2 firsts using the 6th overall pick on Mariota. Again I don't think it could be done on our end but damn it would make sense given the talent we just brought in.
I wouldn't give our #6 straight up for him. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't. He's still a relatively elite QB, no doubt about it, but he'll be almost 34 at the start of the year. He might only have 2-3 good years left.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't want toleave San Diego for LA... I doubt the Jets trade for someone they KNOW doesn't want to be here.

Also, I don't trust a QB whose played his whole career in sunny SD to come to our wind-tunnel of a stadium and play at the same level (although he's played well when visiting with the chargers)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

I wouldn't give our #6 straight up for him. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't. He's still a relatively elite QB, no doubt about it, but he'll be almost 34 at the start of the year. He might only have 2-3 good years left.

Realistically we have about 2-3 years of prime Revis, Cro and Marshall maybe. We are kind of in an odd spot, taking a rookie means time to develop and lose out on Revis, Cro and Marshall but taking advantage of that window could also mean just having 3 years of competent football. Who knows I'm going to be excited from now til the draft!
KBS756

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lotta things about Rivers I don't like at this point ...
- Was injured a lot last year and is getting older so injuries are probably more likely
- His Salary is pretty damn high 15 Mil ... and he's looking for a new Contract end of this year negotiating that isn't gonna be fun with the ballooning cap and QB contracts what they are
- His play in the playoffs ... what is he 3-4 in 7 games? with 5 pretty poor performances
- And he doesn't wanna leave San Diego for LA ... is 120 miles ... we're 3000 miles away ... why would he wanna move here if he doesn't wanna move that far
and the 6th overall pick would be too high a price ... gimme Mariota at 6 ... even Kevin White / Amari Cooper at 6 instead
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBS756 wrote:
A lotta things about Rivers I don't like at this point ...
- Was injured a lot last year and is getting older so injuries are probably more likely
- His Salary is pretty damn high 15 Mil ... and he's looking for a new Contract end of this year negotiating that isn't gonna be fun with the ballooning cap and QB contracts what they are
- His play in the playoffs ... what is he 3-4 in 7 games? with 5 pretty poor performances
- And he doesn't wanna leave San Diego for LA ... is 120 miles ... we're 3000 miles away ... why would he wanna move here if he doesn't wanna move that far
and the 6th overall pick would be too high a price ... gimme Mariota at 6 ... even Kevin White / Amari Cooper at 6 instead

Yea I think given the opportunity to move to LA or retire I think he may just retire. He'll probably get franchised and as long as he is still playing in SD he will play. I'm not sure when the Chargers would move to LA but the franchise tag could work in his favor.
Darrelle Revis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to have Rivers. He's still a top-10 QB and I think we're a possible SuperBowl team with him. I'm a little biased though because he's one of my favorite players in the league.

"I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."
Malik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was after his 2012 season when everyone was down on him, I'd be all in. Not now with that contract though. He's been one of my favorite QBs since he's been in the league but I feel like he's going to fall off the cliff soon and fast once he gets injured again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: