Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BaGGaBoNeZ 2012 Raider Off-Season Mock (Apr.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: BaGGaBoNeZ 2012 Raider Off-Season Mock (Apr.) Reply with quote

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2012 Oakland Raiders ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Transactions ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Trades

• RB Darrin McFadden – Traded to Cleveland for #37(2.5)
This transaction will no doubt be the most polarizing suggestion of this mock draft. Many fans believe that DMC is the real superstar on the Raiders and has the most impact on the outcome of games. Some would suggest that it would be unconsciencible to trade this offensive juggernaught. However, it is the same sentiment expressed when the Raiders cut their only proven man corner in Stanford Routt and again when cut the Raiders their only premiere edge rusher in Wimbley.

In a WCO RB is a value position, whereby teams who run a WCO don’t invest high draft picks on RBs. The Raiders are strapped under the heavy burden of its bloated salary cap, realistically, it’s highly unlikely the Raiders will pony up the money required to resign a premier runner such as DMC. Hence, if the Raiders can get a higher pick than they will get in compensation in 2013 & get additional salary cap relief I could easily see DMC getting moved on draft day.

Cleveland has a plethora of draft picks, lack star power, lack explosive offensive playmakers and are desperately seeking a RB to replace Hillis. There isn’t a RB in the 2012 draft as explosive as DMC. This trade is clearly a win/win.

• #37(2.5) – Traded to Miami for #72(3.9) &#73(3.10)
McKenzie will use the draft pick acquired in the DMC trade to create more value based draft picks.

Cuts

• Tommy Kelly – TK is a decent player. However, his salary is way over bloated. TK will be cut sometime after the draft once a run-stopping DT is acquired in the draft. Similar to Routt and Wimbley, TK has no reason restructure his lucrative contract. Free agency will give him more control over where he plays next season rather than do the Raiders a solid.

Signed

• DE Jarvis Moss (28 yrs old) – Moss has revived his career and will be a instrumental rotational pass rusher

• LS Jon Condo (31 yrs old) – Condo is Condo

• OT Stephon Heyer (28 yrs old) – Acceptable depth

• OG Zach Hurd (24 yrs old) – Makes the 53 man roster

Free Agency

• QB Matt Leinart

NFL Draft
NFL Draft Overview:
The Raiders need to get younger, clear space under the cap & acquire draft picks. McKenzie will accomplish all this by cleaning up the roster. In addition, I expect Mckenzie to take a long-term, value approach to the draft.

#72nd Overall, Round 3.9
• Jonathan Massaquoi l DE/OLB l Troy l ht: 6’2” l wt: 264lbs l 40: 4.6 l Arm Length: 34 1/8”

An athletic DE/OLB prospect who will be used standing up as well as with his hand in the dirt as HC Allen intends to apply multiple looks on defense. The Raiders have either interviewed or scheduled private workouts with countless OLB or DE converts this off-season. In addition, McKenzie has touched on his concerns about the OLB position numerous times in interviews. The Raiders WILL do something about the OLB position in the draft.
Positives:
• Athleticism
• Length
Negatives:
• Tweener
• Top-end Speed
• Instincts

Reminiscent of: Brooks Reed
Raider Interest: General. Unsubstantiated interest by the Raiders
2012 Outlook: Starting SLB
Alternate Pick: Nevada OLB/DE Bobby Wagner or CAL ILB Mychal Kendricks

#73rd Overall, Round 3.10
• Josh Chapman l NT l Alabama l ht: 6’1” l wt: 310lbs l 40: 5.02

Chapman is a rare combination of uncanny strength and toughness. Chapman, who is known as a gym rat, bench presses nearly 600lbs & squats 630lbs. Also, in a display of toughness and leadership, Chapman played a significant part of his senior season on a knee that will require ACL surgery and prevent him from participating in the majority of the Combine. Putting his team first yielded a championship but will also result in Chapman’s stock sliding on draft day. This is the kind of leadership the Raiders definitely need and coming from a school know for developing interior DL, Chapman also has the pedigree to justify the Raiders regarding him highly.

I have been ringing Chapman’s cowbell all-offseason. Apparently, someone has been listening. Only 2 days after receiving a 3rd round compensation pick, the Raiders have scheduled a pre-draft visit for Josh Chapman. If he’s available he’s a lock.

Strengths:
• Uncanny Strength
• Stout at the POA
• Leverage & Fundamentals
• Alabama Pedigree
• Toughness
• Leadership & Character
Weaknesses:
• Typical Pass Rushing of a NT
• Stamina
• Probably begins the season on the PUP

Reminiscent of: Pit NT Casey Hampton
Raider Interest: High. Pre-draft Workout Scheduled
2012 Outlook: Starting NT in 2013
Alternative Pick: Washington NT Alameda Ta’amu

(Compensation →CB Nnmandi Asomugha) #95th Overall, Round 3.32
• Matt McCants l OT l UAB l ht: 6’6” l wt: 308lbs l 40: 5.44 l Arm Length: 35 3/8”

I have McCants falling this far in the draft because at this point McCants is not a football player, rather he is the most athletic tuba player in the nation. Outside of his prototypical stature McCants is a very raw developmental project who will need time. Nearly all of the potential OL draftees that the Raiders have talked to have been developmental athletic OTs.
Strengths:
• Length
• Large Frame
Weaknesses:
• Lateral Speed
• Physically Immature & Underweight
• Raw & Inexperienced

Reminiscent of: Former PHI OT Demetress Bell
Raiders Interest: Medium. Combine Interview.
2012 Outlook: OT Depth
Alternative Pick: East Carolina OT Steven Baker

(Compensation → OG Zach Miller) #129th Overall, Round 4.34
• Robert Turbin l RB l Utah State l ht: 5’10” l wt: 222lbs l 40: 4.5

RB is a value based position in a WCO. With as many RBs the Raiders have interviewed this offseason I fully expect them to draft DMCs eventual replacement with a late round draft pick. As a patient one-cut runner, Turbin is considered a prototypical WCO RB.
Strengths:
• North & South Runner
• Breaking Tackles
• Compact Build
• Competent Pass Blocker
• Decent Receiver
Weaknesses:
• Not a Homerun Threat
• Durability Concerns

Reminiscent of: Pit RB Rashard Mendenhall
Raiders Interest: Med. Interviewed at the Senior Bowl
2012 Outlook: RB Rotation
Alternative Pick: Temple RB Bernard Pierce or Baylor RB Terrance Ganaway

#148th Overall, Round 5.13
• Michael Egnew l TE l Missouri l ht: 6’5” l wt: 252lbs l 40: 4.62 l Arm Length: 33”

One of my favorite TE prospects, this former WR displays athleticism, a wide reception range and sideline awareness. Initially he will limited to being an in-line receiving TE. Surprisingly, the Raiders have interviewed quite a number of TE/H-back prospects this off season and I fully expect them to add someone of this nature possibly to replace Reece in 2013.
Strengths:
• Excellent Size/Speed Ratio
• Athleticism
Weaknesses:
• Blocking

Reminiscent of: Former OAK TE Doug Jolly
Raiders Interest: General. The Raiders have interviewed and have had numerous workouts with this type of player. Egnew had an interview at the Senior Bowl.
2012 Outlook: Situational TE
Alternative Pick: UMass H-Back Emil Igwenagu, Morgan State TE Lamont Bryant or Cal State-Fullerton hoops star Andre Hardy

(Compensation →OG Robert Gallery) #168th Overall, Round 5.33
• Christian Thompson l FS l South Carolina State (via Auburn) l ht: 6’0” l wt: 211lbs l 40: 4.5

Value selection for a secondary that was abused in 2011. Thompson seems to be more potential than production at this point in his career. There is speculation about his Auburn exit so there may be some concern about his character as wel.
Positives:
• Athleticism
Negatives:
• Lack of Aggressiveness
• Ball Skills

Reminiscent of: OAK FS Huff
Raiders Interest: Medium. Combine Interview
2012 Outlook: Practice Squad
Alternative Pick: BPA

#189th Overall, Round 6.19
• Sammy Brown l OLB l Houston l ht: 6’2” l wt: 243lbs l 40: 4.63

This NFL Combine snub led the nation in tackles for loss with 28 to go along with his 12.5 sacks. In addition, named 1st team All-Conference USA. McKenzie has repeatedly said that the Raiders would now value production over potential. With the multitude of interest in OLB/DE prospects it is not beyond reason to suspect that the Raiders will draft more than one OLB at a position McKenzie seems to be very concerned about.
Positives:
• Production
• 34 front experience
Negatives:
• Undersized
• Tweener

Reminiscent of: OAK FS Huff
Raiders Interest: High. Private Workout
2012 Outlook: Secondary Depth
Alternative Pick: Washington State OLB Alex Hoffman-Ellis

UDFA

• Jeff Fuller l WR l Texas A&M l ht: 6’4” l wt: 233lbs l 40: 4.66
Once heralded A&M star at WR slips through the draft as he is considered a WR/TE tweener who cannot break jam pressure off the line. Purely a possession type receiver who offers nothing in terms of YAC.

• Blake DeChristopher l OG l Virginia Tech l ht: 6’4” l wt: 312lbs l 40: 5.10
Awards: 2011 All-American Honorable Mention by SI.com, 2011 ACC Jacobs Blocking Trophy, 2011 First Team All-ACC. The backlog of NFL prospects will cause players of DeChristopher’s caliber to fall out of the draft. Although all around not suited for OT in the NFL, imo Blake will make an excellent LG in the NFL

• Mikhail Marinovich l DE l Syracuse l ht: 6’4” l wt: 245lbs l 40: 4.69
His father played for the Raiders, his brother played for the Raiders, so to shall Mikhail play for the Raiders. Although Uncle Al has passed the sense of legacy will not be lost on Mark Davis or Hue Jackson.

OFFENSE
WR – Moore, Ford
TE – Egnew (R), Myers, Ausberry
RT – Barnes, Heyer
RG – Besiel (FA), Hurd
OC – Wisniewski
LG – Barksdale, DeChristopher (R)
LT – Veldheer, McCants (R)
WR – DHB, Murphy, Fuller (R)
RB – Turbin (R), Goodson (Trade), Jones
FB – Reece, Tonga
QB – Palmer, Leinart (FA), Pryor
Quote:
Notes: I have Carlisle not making the final roster. I’m hoping Barksdale, who has freakishly long arms, moves over to the left side and drops some weight to improve his lateral speed. Working between Veldheer and Wisniewski should help Barks improve his pass blocking.

DEFENSE
RCB – Spencer (FA), DVD, Lee (FA)
DE – Houston, Moss
UT – Seymour, Bryant
NT – Ivey (FA), Chapman (R)
DE – Shaughnessy , Tollefson (FA),
LCB –– Bartell (FA), Chekwa, McCann (FA)
SLB – Massaquoi (R), Wheeler (FA), Ihenacho (FA)
MLB – McClain, Goethel
WLB – Curry, Brown (R)
SS – Branch, Mitchell
FS – Huff, Underwood (FA)
Quote:
Notes: Still major concerns at NT to begin the season.

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Janikowski
P – Lechler
LS – Condo

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Dessie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure hope RM gets more than 2 3rd round picks for #37.

What are the salary cap implications for cutting Kelly ? Can we afford to cut him ? Edit $5.8m according to
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2012/3/2/2838780/oakland-raiders-salary-cap-sensible-cuts-and-restructures

Not happening at that price.

I like Egnew and was wondering about where he is projected to go. Would prefer Justin Bethel as FS.
#clueless
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all the players in your draft (but i'm not sure Massaquoi will go this high). I don't understand the need to cut Kelly though. Why not wait until next season? Or why wait until after the draft? Or why not trade the most productive pass rushing DTs in the league the last 2 years?
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love me some Massaquoi but I think thats a bit early for him. Also really love Chapman and it seems the front office does as well.

Dont know how I would feel about trading DMC. Not against it, but also would like to keep him unless we get a great offer.

Overall nice job.

Edit: Also you have Sammy Brown providing secondary depth in 2012 and claim hes reminiscent of Michael Huff. Im assuming that is a mishap.

You also say that some legacy wont be lost on Mark Davis or Hue Jackson.

Last edited by LivingLegendWFC on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36: I like all the players in your draft (but i'm not sure Massaquoi will go this high).
As the draft draws closer I try to use players that the Raiders have actually had some interest in. IMO, Massaqoui has the most upside of all the hybrid OLBs the Raiders have interviewed or plan to work out. Massaqoui does have some question marks but the more film I watch on him the more I am convinced he can be dominant against the run.

They way he takes on the OL in this clip is exactly what the Raiders desperately need.

oakdb36: I don't understand the need to cut Kelly though. Why not wait until next season?
The sooner the better, imo. While the Raiders are in the mode of eating bad contracts why save for leftovers? According to Saber Metrics you get bad contracts off the books and TKs contract is bloated. McKenzie has been text book so far. I don't understand why this hasn't addressed yet.

oakdb36:Or why wait until after the draft?
Idk, perhaps McKenzie wants to be assured that he can solidify the middle of the DL first before he issues an ultimatum is the only thing I can think of. Everyone else who was cut had deadlines that made addressing their contracts more immediate.

oakdb36:Or why not trade the most productive pass rushing DTs in the league the last 2 years?
How could TK possibly be the most productive DT in the league over the last 2 seasons when he has been flagged 20 times over that time period, 2nd most in the NFL? Penalties offset production similarly, Routt had to "kick rocks". Reducing penalties has to be a priority if the Raiders are to be competitive this season. TK is a penalty magnet. It's addition by subtraction.

Is TK a top 100 player? Then why is he getting paid more than most of them?

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
oak42069

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Sure hope RM gets more than 2 3rd round picks for #37.

What are the salary cap implications for cutting Kelly ? Can we afford to cut him ? Edit $5.8m according to
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2012/3/2/2838780/oakland-raiders-salary-cap-sensible-cuts-and-restructures

Not happening at that price.

I like Egnew and was wondering about where he is projected to go. Would prefer Justin Bethel as FS.

the bold plus kelly dominated last 2 seasons

and love that quote Laughing
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
oakdb36: I like all the players in your draft (but i'm not sure Massaquoi will go this high).
As the draft draws closer I try to use players that the Raiders have actually had some interest in.
Quote:
IMO, Massaqoui has the most upside of all the hybrid OLBs the Raiders have interviewed or plan to work out.
Massaqoui does have some question marks but the more film I watch on him the more I am convinced he can be dominant against the run.

They way he takes on the OL in this clip is exactly what the Raiders desperately need.

oakdb36: I don't understand the need to cut Kelly though. Why not wait until next season?
The sooner the better, imo. While the Raiders are in the mode of eating bad contracts why save for leftovers? According to Saber Metrics you get bad contracts off the books and TKs contract is bloated. McKenzie has been text book so far. I don't understand why this hasn't addressed yet.

oakdb36:Or why wait until after the draft?
Idk, perhaps McKenzie wants to be assured that he can solidify the middle of the DL first before he issues an ultimatum is the only thing I can think of. Everyone else who was cut had deadlines that made addressing their contracts more immediate.

oakdb36:Or why not trade the most productive pass rushing DTs in the league the last 2 years?
How could TK possibly be the most productive DT in the league over the last 2 seasons when he has been flagged 20 times over that time period, 2nd most in the NFL? Penalties offset production similarly, Routt had to "kick rocks". Reducing penalties has to be a priority if the Raiders are to be competitive this season. TK is a penalty magnet. It's addition by subtraction.

Is TK a top 100 player? Then why is he getting paid more than most of them?

Did we actually interview him or work him out? If so any links. Just for my own list. Thanks
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:

Did we actually interview him or work him out? If so any links. Just for my own list. Thanks

Baggabonez wrote:
Raider Interest: General. Unsubstantiated interest by the Raiders

I read this in an AFC West Blog but couldn't confirm it. That's why I wrote the above.LINK

Bonez wrote:
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the dmac trade
would rather trade tko
dont like leinart

like, chapman, turbin, brown and egnew

not sold on the kid from troy i think he will get washed out in the nfl on the l.o.s.

Mccants seems too stiff and imo there are better options there

nice presentation Cool

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly's 14.5 sacks is #1 in the NFL for DTs the last 2 years. Imo, that gives him somekind of trade value. And he hasn't missed a game since 2007.
RunDmc23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Mcfadden has yet to play with carson palmer having him behind the line of scrimmage is going to help carson palmer so much...Im going to laugh so hard when he balls out of control on you people that wanted to trade him. you are all going to act like you were rootin for him the whole time.. watch haha
RaisinBran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure seem to like dudes in red jerseys. lol

(NFL)=Raiders, (MLB)=A's, (NBA)= Warriors
oak42069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Kelly's 14.5 sacks is #1 in the NFL for DTs the last 2 years. Imo, that gives him somekind of trade value. And he hasn't missed a game since 2007.

yup
oak42069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunDmc23 wrote:
Darren Mcfadden has yet to play with carson palmer having him behind the line of scrimmage is going to help carson palmer so much...Im going to laugh so hard when he balls out of control on you people that wanted to trade him. you are all going to act like you were rootin for him the whole time.. watch haha

exactly. dmac was the league rusher through the first 6 games 2011 and beasted it in 2010 playing through 13 games. i jus dont get the trade thing. injury prone or not this kid isnt going anywhere. he is, one the most special RB in the NFL. we acting like goodson (fumbling man) and taiwan jones also injury prone are ready to make a big stink or is Bush still on the roster . shish if it were to happen i'd be for it but these guys couldnt hold a candle next to dmac on the darkest evening.

Laughing at the trade thing......i'm certainly feeling the offense and some of the continuity going on, DMAC is a big piece to this offense.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RunDmc23 wrote:

That's cool, you can go root for that team then.

Bagga, I like the moves but I hope a few things don't happen. I REALLY hope we get someone to put at RT and just have Barnes as a back-up, fill-in guy. I really hope he's not starting.

I'm also not a big fan of Turbin. We already have one RB w/ durability issues, I don't really care to have another. How will his stamina be also? I understand it's a low-risk, high reward type thing. If Pead were available at a point where he could be BPA, I'd take him in a heartbeat. He'll probably be gone in the 3rd at worst though so I don't know just how feasible this is.

Other than that, I'm a fan.

PM sig requests.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: