Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What NHL Playoff Matchups are most likely upsets?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: What NHL Playoff Matchups are most likely upsets? Reply with quote

Eastern Conference

#1 New York Rangers vs #8 Ottawa Senators
#2 Boston Bruins vs #7 Washington Capitals
#3 Florida Panthers vs #6 New Jersey Devils
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs #5 Philadelphia Flyers

Western Conference

#1 Vancouver Cannucks vs Los Angeles Kings
#2 St. Louis Blues vs San Jose Sharks
#3 Phoenix Coyotes vs Chicago Blackhawks
#4 Nashville Predators vs Detroit Red Wings

What teams do you think pull the upset?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Vancouver Canucks vs Los Angeles Kings
#2 St. Louis Blues vs #7 San Jose Sharks
#3 Phoenix Coyotes vs #6 Chicago Blackhawks
#4 Nashville Predators vs #5 Detroit Red Wings

As you can see, in the Western Conference I have three of the lower seeds winning their series. However, the only one I would truly consider an "upset" would be the Sharks over the Blues.

In the East, I think the Devils over the Panthers is expected, so not really an upset there. Also, the Pittsburgh-Philadelphia series could go either way.

MaclinandMCcoy wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
McNutt busted hard.

Anyone else? No just me? Alright
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Incredible wrote:

As you can see, in the Western Conference I have three of the lower seeds winning their series. However, the only one I would truly consider an "upset" would be the Sharks over the Blues.

In the East, I think the Devils over the Panthers is expected, so not really an upset there. Also, the Pittsburgh-Philadelphia series could go either way.

I agree with Chicago, Detroit and New Jersey all not being upsets.

Maybe its the homer shades, but I'm taking the Capitals to knock off the Champs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What NHL Playoff Matchups are most likely upsets? Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Eastern Conference

#1 New York Rangers in 5 vs #8 Ottawa Senators
#2 Boston Bruins in 4 vs #7 Washington Capitals
#3 Florida Panthers vs #6 New Jersey Devils in 5
#4 Pittsburgh Penguins in 7 vs #5 Philadelphia Flyers

Western Conference

#1 Vancouver Cannucks in 5 vs Los Angeles Kings
#2 St. Louis Blues in 7 vs San Jose Sharks
#3 Phoenix Coyotes vs Chicago Blackhawks in 5
#4 Nashville Predators vs Detroit Red Wings in 7

What teams do you think pull the upset?

Preds get the shaft here. Any other lower seed team and they win in 6 games.

Canucks in 6 vs Blackhawks
Blues in 7 vs Wings

Canucks in 5 vs Blues

Rangers in 7 vs Devils
Penguins in 6 vs Bruins

Pens in 7 vs Rangers

Canucks in 6 vs Pens

Then cry for a year while having to listen to all of the fans here celebrate.
dbtb135

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Incredible wrote:

I think the Pens/Flyers series will be more entertaining than it will be competitive. The Pens just have too much. I would have favored them slightly without Crosby, but it's a pretty safe pick with him in IMO. They've got two very, very good lines and a big goalie advantage in Fleury.

Also, any other year and I'd have the Sharks going away over the Blues. But I just can't see it this year. They've been really average, and under Hitch, the Blues have been very good to flat-out dominant. Unless Marleau/Niemi just go off, or the Blues scoring stalls out, I really see the Blues/Sharks series being rather short. Especially with Steen, McDonald, and D'Agostini back. Their depth is really great now.

In the West, Vancouver/Detroit/Chicago scare me. Not so much the rest. The Kings would have been a very scary match-up in round 1, but I think them vs. Vancouver is win-win.

The only upsets I see there are the 6 seeds, and neither of them I would consider upsets. The Hawks/Wings/Devils are probably the favorites in their series. The Bruins seem most susceptible, but I don't think the Caps have what it takes to take them out.
flyers0909

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtb135 wrote:

I think the Pens/Flyers series will be more entertaining than it will be competitive. The Pens just have too much. I would have favored them slightly without Crosby, but it's a pretty safe pick with him in IMO. They've got two very, very good lines and a big goalie advantage in Fleury.

I won't argue you picking the Pens, but how do you figure they have a big goalie advantage in Fleury? Bryz's post ASG numbers are superior to Fleury's. I won't say one is better than the other, but to say the Pens have a big advantage is a little extreme to me. The Flyers might not have as much firepower on their top two lines, but all four of their lines can score. I think its gonna be a really awesome series, obviously the homer in me is gonna pick the Flyers, but its gonna be damn close.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbtb135 wrote:
Mr. Incredible wrote:

Also, any other year and I'd have the Sharks going away over the Blues. But I just can't see it this year. They've been really average, and under Hitch, the Blues have been very good to flat-out dominant. Unless Marleau/Niemi just go off, or the Blues scoring stalls out, I really see the Blues/Sharks series being rather short. Especially with Steen, McDonald, and D'Agostini back. Their depth is really great now.

In the West, Vancouver/Detroit/Chicago scare me. Not so much the rest. The Kings would have been a very scary match-up in round 1, but I think them vs. Vancouver is win-win.

The only upsets I see there are the 6 seeds, and neither of them I would consider upsets. The Hawks/Wings/Devils are probably the favorites in their series. The Bruins seem most susceptible, but I don't think the Caps have what it takes to take them out.

That's just not accurate. The Penguins likely do have too much firepower for the Flyers handle, especially given the latter's injuries and dependence on rookies (the x-factor in this entire series may be the health status of Danny Briere). Nevertheless, Fleury remains one of the most wildly inconsistent goaltenders in the league, and, more importantly, he has been flat-out putrid down the stretch. Right now you can look and analyze the numbers all you want, but Fleury and Bryzgalov both have the polarizing ability to either stand on their heads or drastically hurt their club's chances at winning this upcoming series. Saying one club has a significant goalie advantage heading into the post-season, specifically the Penguins, is honestly an imprudent statement given Fleury's recent struggles and Bryz's stellar late season play, or have we already forgotten that he was the league's first star of March.

Unfortunately, on paper the Penguins should win the Stanley Cup this year, and if I were a betting man that's exactly who I'd put my money on. However, their team better tighten up their defense if they want to make a deep run, because their lack of a cohesive defensive unit since the return of Crosby is going to come to back to bite them if they don't right the ship in the very near future. Granted, they have looked like a machine at times over the past month, but both Fleury's struggles and their overall poor team defense are two major question marks for them heading into the playoffs. The Flyers in particular have the scoring depth to expose some of their defensive deficiencies, and to the surprise of many they'd be perfectly fine playing a run and gun game with the Pens. Despite their abundance of star power, the Flyers are actually the faster and deeper team offensively IMO.

I've tampered my expectations this year, but I still can't help but be amped for the start of the real season. Should be a thrilling series.

Go Flyers
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
dbtb135

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
Nevertheless, Fleury remains one of the most wildly inconsistent goaltenders in the league,

A few years ago, I'd agree with you. But the last two, Fleury has been very consistently good. I think you're going more on past reputation. You could say similar things about Malkin in the past, that doesn't make them true today.

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
and, more importantly, he has been flat-out putrid down the stretch.

His numbers have been fine, except for a dip in the last bit of the season. If you'd call that small stretch "putrid", I'd hate to see what you use to describe Bryz's first half of awful hockey.

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
Saying one club has a significant goalie advantage heading into the post-season, specifically the Penguins, is honestly an imprudent statement given Fleury's recent struggles and Bryz's stellar late season play, or have we already forgotten that he was the league's first star of March.

I find it hilarious how you can label Fleury's recent "struggles" and inconsistency, while thumping your chest over Bryz for a great month. But Bryz played badly by any standards for the entire first half. As a Blues fan, I'm not quick to forget how bad Halak played to start the year and how Elliot has been consistent almost the entire season. I don't see how I can clearly remember a bad month (5-10 games maybe), but you continue to spin a bad half a season (30 games). And Halak has a great post-season rep from his last days in Montreal. Seems odd.

Month-to-month, game-to-game, Fleury was better and more consistent this year. By a pretty good margin. Bryz floated between terrible to fantastic and everywhere in-between, and for long stretches at a time. It's not very easy to ignore that, but you seem to be trying your best.

I think Flyers0909 is more realistic.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id go Bryz over Fleury first but not Flyers ovet Pens.. Im going Rangers, Bruins, Pens, Devils in the East

Canucks, Blues, Preds, Hawks in West..
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one would take Bryzgalov, someone who has struggled all year sans one month, over Marc-Andre Fleury, someone who has consistently been a great playoff goaltender with not only plenty of playoff experience, but put up some excellent numbers against the Flyers in two different winning series?

Strange.... Think
Purpes17

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
So one would take Bryzgalov, someone who has struggled all year sans one month, over Marc-Andre Fleury, someone who has consistently been a great playoff goaltender with not only plenty of playoff experience, but put up some excellent numbers against the Flyers in two different winning series?

Strange.... Think

I feel the exact same way.
2010 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 7 3 4 419 24 0 3.44 .906
2011 Phoenix Coyotes NHL 4 0 4 234 17 0 4.36 .879
Those were Bryz's most recent playoff series. Not exact good but then again his days in Cali were really good come playoff time.
flyers0909

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

Strange.... Think

Where did anyone said they'd take Bryz over Fleury?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Jose over St. Louis is the only real upset I see.
Goon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
San Jose over St. Louis is the only real upset I see.

This + Florida. I think they will at least put up a good fight against the Devils.

Props to NS922!
Purpes17

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does St. Louis have to do to get respect? Win one series? Win 2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: