Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FFMD Part 1+1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparky151

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
these are my nominees for cuts so far. I know we don't have to do them, but it would be interesting. I'll probably add B Johnson and Newman to the roster at the end.

QB - Zac Robinson
RB - Bernard Scott, Aaron Brown
FB - James Develin
WR (X) - Vidal Hazleton
WR (Z) - Ryan Whalen
WR (Y) - Brandon Tate
C - Matthew O'Donnell

Defense
UT - Nick Hayden
RE - Derrick Harvey
WLB - Vincent Rey
SLB - Micah Johnson
CB - Rico Murray
SS - Chris Crocker

Special Teams
K - Thomas Weber

I don't think we need to worry about the cuts to 53. That's the whole point of training camp and preseason, to see who plays their way onto the team. Also a few guys end up getting hurt in preseason which affects roster decisions.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pick tomorrow around 8-9 pm. Can't garauntee I'll be around.

Seeing as the depth at CB is almost depleted, I'd assume we just ignore it now. Keep four CBs and Ghee can fill the fifth role, while at back-up FS. That allows us to keep Barron, Mays, Sands AND Myles. Sands can learn both FS and SS and find his role in our defense. Keeping 4 CBs & 6 S's isn't as crazy considering Ghee can play CB in a pinch.

We've only drafted two lineman so far, so my feelings is this is where the pick should be aimed. I'd like to acquire a veteran DE, but drafting one is fine too. Another OL positon we can look at is G or C. I don't really see much talent at C, but we can find a solid LG to give Hudson some competition behind Wharton.

Other than that, I really don't see any postions we need to address. QB, RB, WR, TE, T, DT, MLB, SLB, FS/SS all seem to be pretty much set. If we "sign" Donald Lee and Brandon Johnson, then we won't need to worry about TE or WLB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post a list of 4-5 BPA around 4 or so tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about positions at this point, just get BPA.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 picks left. I'd like to find a DE to push Geathers off the roster. Someone who is a good run defender with adequate pass rush ability and ideally some upside. The other spot could be used for a project player or someone with some upside who is recovering from injury. We could stash them on IR for a season if needed.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one is pushing Geathers. If we plan e on moving him we should've done it at the very beginning. We can find someone to knock Harvey off the roster at DE but that's it. Geathers is here for his final year

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
no one is pushing Geathers. If we plan e on moving him we should've done it at the very beginning. We can find someone to knock Harvey off the roster at DE but that's it. Geathers is here for his final year

Agreed, and never underestimate the power of contract year.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll carry 25 defenders. Usually we take 8 DL with 7 LBs and 10 DBs. That's because the LBs and DBs are key to special teams coverage.

On the D-line, last year we started Geathers-Peko-Atkins-Rucker with Dunlap-Sims-Fanene-Johnson behind them. Going light at DT hurt us once Sims was out as Hayden wasn't a good replacement and Peko and Atkins wore down.

This year we've lost Rucker and Fanene and replaced them with Anderson and Harvey. We've added DT Brandon Thompson in this mock to backup Atkins and re-signed Sims to backup Peko. So we're set at DT. At DE we currently have 5 with NFL experience in Dunlap-Anderson-Geathers-Johnson-Harvey. Dunlap and Johnson are our best pass rushing DEs. Of the other 3 Anderson seems a lock to make the roster due to his contract. He can also play outside or in, probably outside on run downs and inside on passing downs. That leaves Harvey and Geathers plus a potential rookie fighting for the last DE spot.

I don't rate Harvey highly at all and think he's lucky a 3rd team gave him a chance. If he takes advantage of it, great but we shouldn't count on him making the 53. Geathers is a controversial figure among Bengal fans, making his mark as a pass rushing backup DE, then turning into a base defense run defender who lost his pass rush moves. The question with Geathers is whether or not Dunlap is ready to be an NFL starter. I think he is which means Geathers to the bench. If you see Dunlap as only a rotational pass rusher, then Geathers is worth keeping as a starter.

I expect Dunlap to start at LDE and probably Anderson at RDE. Johnson will backup RDE and Marvin has said he wants to limit his snaps. Geathers is past his prime and in the final year of his contract so we need to think about his replacement anyway. It's not as if his production is irreplaceable. So I suggest we draft a strongside run defending DE to rotate with Dunlap and to replace Geathers. At worst he should make the practice squad and be ready to step in next season. In the meantime, we all know Mike Brown isn't going to spend to the cap but he'll probably be willing to spend to the current team's costs. Dropping Geathers' bloated salary will free up some money for the extensions our young guns deserve. There's no reason to pay Geathers on the bench 5X as much as probowler Atkins.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see about a 0% chance Anderson starts at RDE. I'd put it at a negative chance...MJ will be the "starter", although he will rotate a lot with whoever we draft/Harvey. that allows Geathers and Dunlap to stay at LE with Anderson being a situational DE/T. No chance I want Anderson getting a considerable amount of pass rushing plays at RE. talk about killing our pass rush. horrid idea.

Therefor we need a RE who actually can supply a pass rush, not a DE who will displace Anderson to a role he sucked in and cause us to downgrade from Geathers to a new 5th round rookie base LE.

One of my top prospects around is Cordarro Paw. Excellent stats in college, got bigger his senior year to play DE in the NFL and has good measurables. exactly what we need and it meets value.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
I see about a 0% chance Anderson starts at RDE. I'd put it at a negative chance...MJ will be the "starter", although he will rotate a lot with whoever we draft/Harvey. that allows Geathers and Dunlap to stay at LE with Anderson being a situational DE/T. No chance I want Anderson getting a considerable amount of pass rushing plays at RE. talk about killing our pass rush. horrid idea.

Therefor we need a RE who actually can supply a pass rush, not a DE who will displace Anderson to a role he sucked in and cause us to downgrade from Geathers to a new 5th round rookie base LE.

One of my top prospects around is Cordarro Paw. Excellent stats in college, got bigger his senior year to play DE in the NFL and has good measurables. exactly what we need and it meets value.

Who is proposing Anderson as a pass rusher at RDE? That's Johnson's job. Anderson's is to play run downs at DE and sometimes rush from DT. I get the feeling you think we're going to carry 5 DEs in addition to our 4 DTs. I don't. The 3 locks at DE are Dunlap, Johnson, and Anderson. Geathers and Harvey are on one year deals and could easily be cut without any future impact. A rookie DE who makes the team will be around for a while.

We're on the clock now.
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean Cordarro Law of Southern Miss? Hard to find info on him. CBS has him rated as the #32 DE and 416th overall player, ie a UDFA. NFP doesn't have him in their top 50 DEs or OLBs. Neither does GBN.

We don't really need a pass rushing DE, we need a younger run stopping DE to replace Geathers.

BPA is probably Devon Wylie but he's mainly a slot WR/PR. I think we'll have James return punts and kickoffs and Hawkins should be good enough insurance in case Shipley isn't recovered.
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Trevor Guyton of Cal? He's the highest rated DE available. He's probably going to a 3-4 team but he's 285 pounds and stout vs the run. Can also play inside so his skill set is similar to Fanene or Rucker.
sparky151

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did everyone go? I'll send in Trevor Guyton as our pick if nobody makes a case for anyone else.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we take a player at a skillset against majority rule of the posters including the co-Gm. We could've actually had skilled pass rusher, instead we get an Anderson clone who does us no good. here's to Guyton getting cut in TC. cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
Of course we take a player at a skillset against majority rule of the posters including the co-Gm. We could've actually had skilled pass rusher, instead we get an Anderson clone who does us no good. here's to Guyton getting cut in TC. cheers

Which player are you referring to? Who was picked against majority rule? The main problem we've had is getting people to weigh in with their choices. I know you didn't get Judie in the last round as I didn't get Crawford who has more pass rush skills than Guyton. If you really want Law, why not make a case for him? Say what he can do that Moch can't.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually play RE at competitive level. Koch can't. Both me as Duke were against taking someone with the notion to replace Geathers. Against taking someone with his skillset. We both posted a pass rusher was the best option. If not Law, we should've picked someone more similar skillset to Law per 2-1 poster agreement. plus it's the 5th round. we could've skipped our pick until at least someone could've weighed in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: