Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Getting stoked about draft dispite loss of picks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Getting stoked about draft dispite loss of picks! Reply with quote

With the emotional rollercoaster that was Bounty Gate, Saints fans for the most part have to feel at least somewhat confident in what our organization has done this offseason to offset some of the losses we have suffered.

Losing Sean Peyton for the year was unexpected and well frankly “SUCKS” but the addition of Steve Spagnuolo gives us reason for optimism on the defensive side of the football in 2012. While Payton’s presence and influence on play calling will be missed, the knee injury he sustained in 2011 gave us a chance to see what Pete Carmichael was made off and he proved his worth and then some. I think I speak for a lot of whodats when I say that Carmichael’s performance as a play caller in Payton’s absence last season gives us all the utmost confidence in his ability to run this offence in 2012.

The deduction of our 2nd round selection leaves us without a pick in either of the top two rounds in this year’s NFL draft and that, well… “SUCKS” as well. Mickey Loomis has made his mark in rounds 3-7 for the most part since becoming the Saints GM and we will need that trend to continue on draft day. Now, although the loss of these draft picks hurts, most of us would have agreed before this offseason that the linebacker position was our biggest weakness. The free agent signings of Lofton, Hawthorne and Chamberlin combined with one of the better run stuffing defensive tackles in Bunkley (our second biggest need in my opinion) in my mind offset the loss of our top two picks. So, on draft day when the first round is over just tell yourself that we picked RB Mark Ingram and at the conclusion of the second round just look at it like we traded away that selection and a future 2nd rounder in 2013 for Lofton, Hawthorne & Bunkley! Combine that with the rest of our selections, I’d say that this could be our best draft yet! I mean truly… does anyone really think we would have made all these signings had we still possessed picks in round 1-2?

Now… speaking of the draft and our remaining selections, I wanna try and really focus on players in this mock that truly fit the mold of high character hard working prospects that fit needs for the franchise. Loomis once said in an interview that his philosophy is rounds 1-3 are really focused on best players available regardless of position but from rounds 4-7 the focus really turns to potential of the prospect and needs of the team. I truly feel that Loomis will treat our 3rd round selection as a 1st rounder and select the best player on the board regardless of position and then from rounds 4-7 he’ll focus on players with either high potential or players who fill team needs.

With that logic, here is my updated 2012 New Orleans Saints mock draft:

3rd Round
Philip Blake OC Baylor
Reasoning behind pick: Best player available (Value)

Blake is a dominating Center with shades of LeCharles Bentley. The Saints Brian Del La Puinta had an admirable season in 2011 but he’s an average player at the position. Former 5th round selection Matt Tennett seems to be a better fit as a reserve swing player at Guard and Center. Blake’s stock will take a hit due to his age (he’ll turn 27 his rookie season) but his selection represents excellent value and gives that Saints great depth along the offensive line and a future probowl Center in a year or two.

4th Round
Donnie Fletcher CB Boston College
Reasoning behind pick: Team needs (Depth)

The Saints have a big need at the corner position; Fletcher is the big physical press corner that Spags seems to covet and would add quality depth to the secondary. Fletcher also doubles as one of this drafts top gunners on special teams and with Johnny Patrick likely to get more playing time at nickel in 2012 this will likely be a valuable commodity for the Saints as well.

5th Round
Chase Ford TE Miami
Reasoning behind pick: Team needs (Potential)

This pick fills a need for the Saints but it’s more about upside than anything else. While Ford doesn’t possess the athletic ability of Jimmy Graham, he does have great physical tools and a very good combination of size and speed to develop into the perfect Robin to Graham’s Batman… A role he’s played once before.

6th Round
James Carmon OT Mississippi State
Reasoning behind pick: Team needs (Potential)

Carmon possesses the physical tools to develop into a pro-bowl right tackle in the NFL but he’s extremely raw. A former defensive lineman, Carmon will need a year or two before he’s ready for a starting role and would be a perfect understudy to Zach Strief and could be looked at one day as yet another late round steal for Loomis.

Note: I see New Orleans allowing Bushrod to leave in free agency in 2013 due to cap reasons and Charles Browns athletic skill set makes him a better fit on the left side as Bushrod’s successor.

7th Round
Tyrunn Walker DE Tulsa
Reasoning behind pick: Team needs (Depth)

Walker is a Louisiana native (New Iberia) who possesses good size (6’3” 272 lbs) and is a relentless pass rusher who despite his lack of physical tools seems to make a living in the opponents backfield. His selection would give Spagnuolo another big along the defensive front and solid depth as Walker in my opinion would be an upgrade over Jeff Charleston. Walker also would quickly become a fan favorite, he has been quoted as saying that his childhood dream is to play for the Saints and that New Orleans winning the super bowl was the best feeling he’s ever had in sports.

Truly one to root for!

The above selected players in my opinion all fit the high character strong work ethic criteria that Loomis and Payton has put an emphasis on in past drafts. Regardless of who they select in April, my days of arguing about woulda, coulda, shoulda picks are over.

In Loomis I trust!!!

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
spanky3801

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd round- TE LeDarius Green La Lafayette
4th round- WR Tommy Streeter Miami
5th round- DE Donte Paige Moss
6th round (1st)- OT James Carmon Miss St
6th round (2nd)- CB Ron Brooks LSU
7th round- DT Akim Hicks

UDFA- TBob Hebert OG LSU, Cliff Harris CB Oregon, etc.
spanky3801

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, your draft looks good.
Porter22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky3801 wrote:
7th round- DT Akim Hicks

We don't have this pick anymore IIRC... We've switched picks with the Dolphins
Injured Reserve: WR Joe Morgan
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Blake, Carmon, a CB, and then i'm set for this draft. I'm SIKED for this year, already. Cool

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
SaintsFantic101

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
spanky3801 wrote:
7th round- DT Akim Hicks

We don't have this pick anymore IIRC... We've switched picks with the Dolphins
We still have it. We got 1 from Washington too.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim honestly not much of a draft guy. Last year the Saints got four players I knew (Jordan, Ingram, Wilson, and Romeus) so I was pretty happy. The Ingram pick actually looks brilliant now considering Goodell would have likely taken our 1st rounderthis year if we would have owned one.

The Saints have had the best offseason...and I think that would be difficult to debate. After filling the holes at DT and LB the Saints have the luxury of filling their roster out with high upside players for depth. Safety/cornerback will be addressed...and the o-line will be addressed. Depth is severely lacking at those positions. But otherwise see three Saints going BPA outside of QB, RB, and P.
MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm, you have me thinking......

As the draft finally arrives in a couple of days, I saw you have a center, Philip Blake as our third round pick. After researching, I found the consensus is that Blake will probably go in the fourth or fifth round. Someone who might be available at pick #89 who will add depth to the OL and can play center is Michael Brewster of Ohio State. He had a very good Senior Bowl and Lindy's Sports says,"Has the size and light feet to play almost any position on the line depending on the scheme. Rarely beaten off the line in pass protection. Has good quickness and strength in his pass set with the anchor to balance and reset against bigger interior linemen." His size of 6' 4plus" 305-310 lbs. suggests he could be a backup at tackle and possibly guard. When it comes down to it, it will be the best player available. I still like Hardin in the late fourth as a safety with CB coverage skills and SS size of 6' 2 5/8' 222 lbs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: