Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Films Greg Cosell on Panthers probable Top 4 draft board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peppers90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: NFL Films Greg Cosell on Panthers probable Top 4 draft board Reply with quote

I believe as to most of us here and everywhere think the Panthers draft board is down to LB Luke Kuechly, CB Stephon Gilmore, WR Michael Floyd, and DT Fletcher Cox.

NFL Flims Greg Cosell is a draft expert I (among others) respect highly. He looks strictly at game film and translates that to the NFL game. He doesn't take combine or pre-draft workouts into account. He rates these 4 players very highly.

Here are some of his remarks about each..

Believes Floyd is a better prospect than Blackmon.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/17/cosell-talks-the-blackmonfloyd-declaration/
Quote:
Floyd vs. Blackmon: A fascinating and compelling study. Many will disagree, but I see Floyd as the more complete prospect. The film tells me he has more ability to line up on the outside and win one-on-one. Blackmonís success will be more a function of scheme, and how heís utilized in the context of a multi-dimensional passing offense.

LB Luke Kuechly
Quote:
Loved Kuehly on film. Far more athletic than given credit for. Played with eyes better than any LB I've seen. Great play recognition.

More I watched Kuechly more I liked him. Plus athleticism. Great play recognition. Played with eyes better than any LB I've evaluated.

Kuechly at times ran down the seam with TE in coverage. Better athlete on tape than I was led to believe. Terrific closing speed in run game

Think Kuechly could play 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB. Scheme + position versatile. Many might disagree but I feel better prospect than Hawk(5th-2006)

What surprised me w/Kuechly was athleticism + movement. Is he quick twitch, dynamically explosive? No but played fast w/urgent reaction time

https://twitter.com/#!/gregcosell

DT Fletcher Cox

Quote:
DT Cox was in my top 10 but probably not the obvious spot. By the way, Cox one of my favorite players on film in draft.

Really like Cox. Natural athleticism + movement. Balance + flexibility to rush QB. Great scheme versatility. Played DT/DE.

CB Stephon Gilmore
Quote:
Minnesota takes the best corner prospect in this draft: South Carolinaís Stephon Gilmore. Gilmore has a chance to be a Charles Woodson type player down the road: athletic, physical and competitive, playing outside in the base defense and in the slot in the sub-packages.

BTW He also likes Poe, he isn't concerned with the 'lack of production', when looking at tape.

So for the 4 guys I believe the Panthers board is down to (Cox, Kuechly, Gilmore, and Floyd) Cosell believes are top notch prospects and are better than the 'top 5' prospects. Now, who do the Panthers take?

Last edited by Peppers90 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in seeing what he says about Gilmore. That's the only thing I disagree with.

As for Poe, some of you should check out some of his game videos on Youtube. The more I see of him, the more I feel he was producing more than people give him credit for despite his lack of numbers. There were technique problems from time to time which is expected but he displayed the ability to be a wrecking force in the run game.
davlar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I value what Cosell says, and I couldn't agree more with Kuechly and Floyd. Cox, too, in fact.

However, I hope we don't have Gilmore in our top four prospects. I'm not that high on him. If you are taking a CB in the top ten, he has to project to be a number one type.

To me, Gilmore is not enough of a playmaker and although he would be a "safe" pick, I would prefer to wait until later to draft a CB.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with him, that it does indeed come down to these 4 players.

Gilmore really scares me as he's extremely raw though. Extremely athletic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
I have to agree with him, that it does indeed come down to these 4 players.

Gilmore really scares me as he's extremely raw though. Extremely athletic.

Cosell didn't say these are the top 4. He doesn't project players to teams.

I used these 4 (well 5 if we include Poe) as the probable Panther picks, and how he views those players.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with him entirely. Kuechly is really growing on me, and i've been 100% behind Cox being far and away the best DT for over a month now. I considered Floyd the top receiver in this class pre-combine and all. I haven't read much by Cosell, but I already like him.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
Fly392009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sure about Gilmore, but I would be fine with any of those four. He mentioned Kuechly's versatility both position and scheme wise, and that interest me greatly. Drafting him obviously does not mean we are switching to a 3-4 defense, but it could allow us to put some 3-4 packages and looks in the playbook. I also love his combination of cerebral and instinctual skills.
atown703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be fine with Kuechly or Floyd Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barring a trade down, it will come down to Cox or Kuechly. I would be happy with either.

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
Peppers90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosell is tweeting a lot about Coples right now. Good stuff if you guys wanna check it out. Not really about Panthers, but giving good insight to what he see's in Coples.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BringinDaPain wrote:
Barring a trade down, it will come down to Cox or Kuechly. I would be happy with either.

I'm hearing a lot of reports that Cox is in play at #6 with the Rams. So there's a good chance Cox doesn't fall to us at 9.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And even if Cox falls to us, I've heard rumbling of the Eagles wanting to trade up for him.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
89 06 MVP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry maybe its just me but i don't see all the hype about Fletcher Cox...Just about every play he over plays the ball or getting man handled if a linemen get there hands on him.The only positives i see from him is he has a high motor & he can play DT or DE.
Power Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Panthers will end up either taking Blackmon or passing on him.
Blackmon is slipping I think as Floyd is bigger and stronger and guys like Dez is much bigger. Wondering if Weedon is the guy who made Blackmon look good.

It should be Kuechly or Cox.
HighPointNCKid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Metal wrote:
I think the Panthers will end up either taking Blackmon or passing on him.
Blackmon is slipping I think as Floyd is bigger and stronger and guys like Dez is much bigger. Wondering if Weedon is the guy who made Blackmon look good.

It should be Kuechly or Cox.

Uhmm? Last year he put up huge numbers while everyone in the country knew he was the #1 WR??? Weedon threw the ball and he caught it. Dez Bryant-6-2, 218 lbs, Blackmon, 6-1, 215lbs. How is that "much bigger?" Anyway, I like Blackmon better and he has ZERO character concerns! Furthermore, he befriended a little girl with cancer and there is an awesome piec on ESPN about their friendship. I would be ecstatic if we drafted, even though we dont need a WR. Great addition to any football team!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: