Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Andrew Luck Pro Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Andrew Luck Pro Day Reply with quote

So I watched some of the throwing drills from Andrew Luck's Pro Day, and I had to laugh because his QB coach was chasing him around the field swinging a rake trying to emulate a defensive lineman. The good news is that he started out a bit rough but once he got into the motion all of his throws seemed to come very easily.

I was especially impressed with his throwing while running to the left which is diffucult for most right handed QBs.

Getting excited !!! Very Happy
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Colton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Pagano nor Grigson were there. Not sure if that means anything at all, but an interesting tid bit to say least.

I don't think Andrew Luck can do anything wrong in the media's eyes. Not saying he is bad, but I can't remember the last prospect to be treated like this. Even Manning had a good amount of criticism (he'd peaked, he couldn't win big games, etc.). It's just weird to me.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't put much stock into it because I consider this pick Irsay's pick, the rest of the personnal decisions are on Grigson. Polian said that the decision to select Luck was pretty much made before he left Indy.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why Luck doesn't get the stigma of being a choker in big games like Manning did. He was awful against Oregon, almost cost them the game against us with his pick 6, etc. I know he tore VT (or was it WVU?) a new one in that one bowl game but I feel like a lot of his shortcomings are covered up as you guys said by the media's hype. Anytime the D got even a little pressure on him, he would get extreme happy feet and you can argue that all QB's are like that but the elite QB's are able to do well despite the pressure. That's just me.

Saw all of his throws, they looked good, I guess he shut some people up with that 70+ yarder but the fact that it was in a controlled environment means nothing to me unless he severely over or underthrew guys. Impressive pro day regardless of my comments but still doesn't hold a candle to Sam Bradford's amazing pro day and I doubt he ever even reaches Bradford's level. I'd rather have him than Luck.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irsay is funny about the talk regarding not taking Luck #1.

If he can somehow get the Skins to pay something to move up to #1 to get RG3, he is a genius.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:
I don't understand why Luck doesn't get the stigma of being a choker in big games like Manning did. He was awful against Oregon, almost cost them the game against us with his pick 6, etc. I know he tore VT (or was it WVU?) a new one in that one bowl game but I feel like a lot of his shortcomings are covered up as you guys said by the media's hype. Anytime the D got even a little pressure on him, he would get extreme happy feet and you can argue that all QB's are like that but the elite QB's are able to do well despite the pressure. That's just me.

Saw all of his throws, they looked good, I guess he shut some people up with that 70+ yarder but the fact that it was in a controlled environment means nothing to me unless he severely over or underthrew guys. Impressive pro day regardless of my comments but still doesn't hold a candle to Sam Bradford's amazing pro day and I doubt he ever even reaches Bradford's level. I'd rather have him than Luck.

It was VT he shredded, and a major reason he doesn't have that stigma is that he went 3-0 vs USC. Other than going 1-2 against Oregon in his career there, there's really not much to nitpick about. He also threw outdoors and into the wind at his pro day. That is something most other top QB prospects wouldn't ever do, so it was actually less controlled than the normal QB pro day workout where they throw indoors with no wind.

I think we're going to be very, very happy with Luck as our QB. While Bradford's one of the most accurate QB prospects I've ever seen, Luck also gives us great accuracy and placement with a level of toughness and athleticism that Sam doesn't bring to the table. A couple of my favorite qualities about Luck is his ability to still be accurate on the run and rolling out in either direction, and his ball placement which puts his WR's in a position to get YAC or get down to avoid getting blown up. He rarely hangs his WR's out to dry, so to speak.

I don't think we can go wrong with either Luck or RGIII, so I'm excited either way.
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cryptkeeper wrote:
coltsmanic808 wrote:

It was VT he shredded, and a major reason he doesn't have that stigma is that he went 3-0 vs USC. Other than going 1-2 against Oregon in his career there, there's really not much to nitpick about. He also threw outdoors and into the wind at his pro day. That is something most other top QB prospects wouldn't ever do, so it was actually less controlled than the normal QB pro day workout where they throw indoors with no wind.

I think we're going to be very, very happy with Luck as our QB. While Bradford's one of the most accurate QB prospects I've ever seen, Luck also gives us great accuracy and placement with a level of toughness and athleticism that Sam doesn't bring to the table. A couple of my favorite qualities about Luck is his ability to still be accurate on the run and rolling out in either direction, and his ball placement which puts his WR's in a position to get YAC or get down to avoid getting blown up. He rarely hangs his WR's out to dry, so to speak.

I don't think we can go wrong with either Luck or RGIII, so I'm excited either way.

I guess that's true...and why as a USC fan I also hate his guts. But it still worries me that against stronger defenses, even though he won most of those games, you could clearly see a big decline in his performance. I'll admit it, I watched his big games hoping he'd fail. Guilty as charged, which is why I've seen how his performance fluctuates a lot. Granted, again, QB's under pressure will always see some form of decline butttttt I just don't like that people really gloss over that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:

I guess that's true...and why as a USC fan I also hate his guts. But it still worries me that against stronger defenses, even though he won most of those games, you could clearly see a big decline in his performance. I'll admit it, I watched his big games hoping he'd fail. Guilty as charged, which is why I've seen how his performance fluctuates a lot. Granted, again, QB's under pressure will always see some form of decline butttttt I just don't like that people really gloss over that.

That's understandable man lol I've had that dilemma before. I'm not sure people in the sport have really glossed over it..I mean yeah, there's alot of fans who figure he's the automatic #1 overall pick and it's clear he's got more hype than any QB prospect in years, but you have to figure with that kind of hype that he'd have gotten the Heisman and some people wouldn't be picking RGIII as a prospect over him now unless there were some chinks in the armor.

As long as we get either one, I think we're going to be in good shape. Both of these guys are talented, have a great track record of turning around teams that usually aren't known for football, and have good heads on their shoulders.

Whoever we pick, we just need to build up our supporting cast around them. We need some more offensive weapons along with building up the defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: