Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JD's "official" PITTSBURGH PIRATES thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
@KJ: I disagree. It's PARAMOUNT to our success that JMac pitches well. He's our best pitcher, and only way for him to get his confidence back is keep pitching and eventually he'll get back to top form. It's not like we're losing many games when he pitches anyhow.

I just think he needs the rest. He has not been our best pitcher for the past month or so, in fact, he has been our most shaky starter. I don't know if maybe there is a nagging injury in there that needs to heal, or what has been going on. But he is not what he was prior to the ASB. Besides, me and AJ Burnett both disagree with you about who the best pitcher in the rotation is! Cool

If JMac has his best stuff, he's our best pitcher. It doesn't look like a physical issue but more a mental block. Might be a slight mechanical change, but I believe he'll get out of this funk. He just needs to throw first ball strikes and not get behind in strikes. Simple as that. Same with Bedard.

Let's not forget, last year before the ASB, Correia looked like an ace. Not saying JMac will flop like that the rest of the way, I'm just saying maybe hitters have figured out what he's doing. I think if he has another bad start this weekend, its time for him to miss a start and get back on track. Correia was pitching well the last couple months.

Im sorry, I know we're co-commishs and all, but that's CLEARLY not the case!! Did you watch the Houston game? Even the announcers stated all the faults of Jmac are of his own doing. He had 7 walks in the game, and got behind in more than half the players counts from the first pitch he threw to him. That's always been when Jmac struggles; he struggles to find the strike zone on the first few pitches to each batter and falls behind, and then has to force a strike or walks the batter. You realize Correia never had an ERA of lower than 4.3 for the month after April right? He had about the same walks from month to month as well. Whereas if you look at Jmac, his walks goes way up. It's obviously due to his command and not throwing first ball strikes. As I said, it's either due to something slightly mechanical like his release point or total mental block. The best way to overcome this is just to keep throwing him out there and get his confidence up.

Correia also made the All-Star Game last year! What I'm saying is, I don't care if its a mental block, physical block, spiritual block, writers block, or a building block, it's obvious that J-mac is struggling(8.53 ERA in last four games) and Correia was riding 6 straight wins before the Wandy trade. We are in the middle of a pennant race.

Lets think of it in football terms. If we're battling the Ravens in December for the division title, Isaac Redman played great the first 6 or 7 games, but is averaging 1.5 YPC ing the previous 4 games. Chris Rainey has been steadily getting 4-5 YPC and getting the ball in the end zone in those games. Who should start?

I know its a shaky analogy, but the point is, I believe we need to ride with the hot arm. Correia was pitching not great, but good enough to win games in the last month or two. JMac has not.

Go Noles!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
@KJ: I disagree. It's PARAMOUNT to our success that JMac pitches well. He's our best pitcher, and only way for him to get his confidence back is keep pitching and eventually he'll get back to top form. It's not like we're losing many games when he pitches anyhow.

I just think he needs the rest. He has not been our best pitcher for the past month or so, in fact, he has been our most shaky starter. I don't know if maybe there is a nagging injury in there that needs to heal, or what has been going on. But he is not what he was prior to the ASB. Besides, me and AJ Burnett both disagree with you about who the best pitcher in the rotation is! Cool

If JMac has his best stuff, he's our best pitcher. It doesn't look like a physical issue but more a mental block. Might be a slight mechanical change, but I believe he'll get out of this funk. He just needs to throw first ball strikes and not get behind in strikes. Simple as that. Same with Bedard.

Let's not forget, last year before the ASB, Correia looked like an ace. Not saying JMac will flop like that the rest of the way, I'm just saying maybe hitters have figured out what he's doing. I think if he has another bad start this weekend, its time for him to miss a start and get back on track. Correia was pitching well the last couple months.

Im sorry, I know we're co-commishs and all, but that's CLEARLY not the case!! Did you watch the Houston game? Even the announcers stated all the faults of Jmac are of his own doing. He had 7 walks in the game, and got behind in more than half the players counts from the first pitch he threw to him. That's always been when Jmac struggles; he struggles to find the strike zone on the first few pitches to each batter and falls behind, and then has to force a strike or walks the batter. You realize Correia never had an ERA of lower than 4.3 for the month after April right? He had about the same walks from month to month as well. Whereas if you look at Jmac, his walks goes way up. It's obviously due to his command and not throwing first ball strikes. As I said, it's either due to something slightly mechanical like his release point or total mental block. The best way to overcome this is just to keep throwing him out there and get his confidence up.

Correia also made the All-Star Game last year! What I'm saying is, I don't care if its a mental block, physical block, spiritual block, writers block, or a building block, it's obvious that J-mac is struggling(8.53 ERA in last four games) and Correia was riding 6 straight wins before the Wandy trade. We are in the middle of a pennant race.

Lets think of it in football terms. If we're battling the Ravens in December for the division title, Isaac Redman played great the first 6 or 7 games, but is averaging 1.5 YPC ing the previous 4 games. Chris Rainey has been steadily getting 4-5 YPC and getting the ball in the end zone in those games. Who should start?

I know its a shaky analogy, but the point is, I believe we need to ride with the hot arm. Correia was pitching not great, but good enough to win games in the last month or two. JMac has not.

Im sorry, but it's just not as obvious as you are saying. Not to mention, they still get 4 days to work on things before every start. Lets compare the last 30 days:

Jmac: 2-2 6.83 ERA (2 months back as you suggested he was 4-1 in June with a 2.93 ERA, so combined a 6-3 W-L record, 6.83 is only July)

Correia: 4-0 5.04 ERA (3-1 with a 4.36 in June)

Obviously, Correia's #'s are better, but not by a huge stretch. Both ERA's are really bad, but Correia's are just overrated due to his record just like last year. Call a 5.04 a hot arm or what, but it's still bad and it's not like he has proven he can pitch much better than that. If I told you, either a pitcher will give up 2 runs or 6 and another pitcher will give up 4 or 5 runs which would you pick? Jmac pitching tomorrow is better for the future of our team and clearly the Pirates think so as well. Doesn't matter about what happens tomorrow night, because I don't want a "I told you so" reaction, because the thought process going into it is correct.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect a response from Resop tomorrow. Reports have stated he's furious and wants to pitch tomorrow.
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Im sorry, but it's just not as obvious as you are saying. Not to mention, they still get 4 days to work on things before every start. Lets compare the last 30 days:

Jmac: 2-2 6.83 ERA (2 months back as you suggested he was 4-1 in June with a 2.93 ERA, so combined a 6-3 W-L record, 6.83 is only July)

Obviously, Correia's #'s are better, but not by a huge stretch. Both ERA's are really bad, but Correia's are just overrated due to his record just like last year. Call a 5.04 a hot arm or what, but it's still bad and it's not like he has proven he can pitch much better than that. If I told you, either a pitcher will give up 2 runs or 6 and another pitcher will give up 4 or 5 runs which would you pick? Jmac pitching tomorrow is better for the future of our team and clearly the Pirates think so as well. Doesn't matter about what happens tomorrow night, because I don't want a "I told you so" reaction, because the thought process going into it is correct.

Well, what if JMac has a bad start today? Then would you agree he needs some time off? What about his next start? What about the start after that? And after that? Do you just keep letting him start every five days? Where do you draw the line when you are in a pennant race? I already would have. Hurdle hasn't yet, but if it continues, I expect something to be done. And to be clear, I am not saying to take him out of the rotation. I'm saying he should miss a start to get his head straight. I'm not saying Correia was pitching on Cy Young levels, but he was pitching well enough to put the team in a position to win games.

Go Noles!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Well, what if JMac has a bad start today? Then would you agree he needs some time off? What about his next start? What about the start after that? And after that? Do you just keep letting him start every five days? Where do you draw the line when you are in a pennant race? I already would have. Hurdle hasn't yet, but if it continues, I expect something to be done. And to be clear, I am not saying to take him out of the rotation. I'm saying he should miss a start to get his head straight. I'm not saying Correia was pitching on Cy Young levels, but he was pitching well enough to put the team in a position to win games.

Point taken. Ok, I'll draw the line when I see McDonald go out there and not throw any great pitches. He's not inconsistent, he's just awful. If he throws great pitches-then bad-then great again. I feel like he can turn himself around because he at least threw some decent ones. If he just misses on most pitches, then sit him down, because it's all gone to his head. My guess is: He will pitch a great game tonight, since Searage just worked with him extensively 1-on-1. My guess: 6 IP, 2 ER.
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@At23, Tired of the long quote boxes! Anyways, I hope you're right. JMac getting back on track(Oh yeah, I'm a poet and didn't know it! Laughing ) would be a huge boost going into the last 2 months of the season.

Go Noles!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJtheWicked wrote:
@At23, Tired of the long quote boxes! Anyways, I hope you're right. JMac getting back on track(Oh yeah, I'm a poet and didn't know it! Laughing ) would be a huge boost going into the last 2 months of the season.

Laughing Laughing Should've wrote our team summary in poetic format!! Wink I hope Im right too. To sum it up though, in order to compete in our division and make the playoffs we need Jmac to play well no matter how we get there!!
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Bruce better be prepared for a fastball in the middle of his back tonight thanks to what that punk Chapman did to Cutch. Yeah sure Reds fans he didn't do it on purpose. Rolling Eyes It was the perfect time to hit the Pirates best player with a comforablt three run lead and two outs in the ninth. Hopefully that will fire up the team.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Jay Bruce better be prepared for a fastball in the middle of his back tonight thanks to what that punk Chapman did to Cutch. Yeah sure Reds fans he didn't do it on purpose. Rolling Eyes It was the perfect time to hit the Pirates best player with a comforablt three run lead and two outs in the ninth. Hopefully that will fire up the team.

Maybe an all-out brawl!! Im thinking Resop goes in and aims it right at Jay Bruce's head!!
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 IP 3 ER 7 K's 1 BB

Pretty impressive, especially the last two innings. This is the hottest team in baseball. He got behind a few times, but much better than before. Good job JMAC!! Last two innings, he looked like his normal self.
Somefootballfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a heart breaking loss...

I am starting to hate the Reds as much as I hate the Ravens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somefootballfan wrote:

and the Flyers!!
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Somefootballfan wrote:

and the Flyers!!

Agreed! Evil or Very Mad

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the #87 Sid's sig!
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ones better than none

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bedard pitching as well as it seems on gamecast???

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: