Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jack Del Rio Defensive Line changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Something to watch--

Quote:
The Bears will not be re-signing free agent DT Amobi Okoye.
GM Phil Emery recently hinted Okoye was no longer in Chicago's plans. Per Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune, Okoye is "likely headed" to Denver, Cincinnati, or Tampa Bay. It sounds like the Broncos quietly entered the bidding.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4174/amobi-okoye

The original report:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0405-emery-bears-chicago--20120405,0,5358776.story

Okoye isn't s a game-changer or anything but he should come cheap and is only 24 years old. Maybe he can resurrect his career here in a manner similar to how Bunkley did last year and if we get lucky maybe EXF can then give him a long-term deal.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
bobdevine wrote:
Something to watch--

Quote:
The Bears will not be re-signing free agent DT Amobi Okoye.
GM Phil Emery recently hinted Okoye was no longer in Chicago's plans. Per Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune, Okoye is "likely headed" to Denver, Cincinnati, or Tampa Bay. It sounds like the Broncos quietly entered the bidding.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4174/amobi-okoye

The original report:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0405-emery-bears-chicago--20120405,0,5358776.story

Okoye isn't s a game-changer or anything but he should come cheap and is only 24 years old. Maybe he can resurrect his career here in a manner similar to how Bunkley did last year and if we get lucky maybe EXF can then give him a long-term deal.

I am all for it as well. Similar to what the Bengals have been doing. There is a reason players like Okoye once were drafted in the first round. The talent is there. Now either it hasn't been put forth properly by the player himself or the player has been in the wrong scheme. Why not bank on the latter, especially if guys like possibly Okoye or Bunkley and Harvey last year come in cheap.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just food for thought. I am not saying i agree or disagree, but maybe many of us are going about Denver's preference along the defensive line all wrong.

Many of us are talking about Denver needing at least 1 run stuffing DT because as of now Denver severely lacks a player of that skill set. However, maybe that isn't Denver's preference along the interior.

I was just thinking about what all has went down since Elway has taken over.

1. Statement from Elway made in early September, 2011 about the 4 most important positions in order to build a winning football team.

Quote:
1. Quarterback

“Far and away the most important position,” Elway said. “You need the guy to win you a championship from the pocket, to be a leader, to make it go. And you’re looking for the athlete at the position who can operate from the pocket and get out when he needs to.”

2. Edge pass rusher

“I know the players who you didn’t want to see across from you, the disruptive players you had to game plan for.”

3. Left offensive tackle

“He protects the most important player’s blindside. You can’t play if the guys you can’t see coming keep hitting you. He has to be athletic, smart and tough, and you hope he’s there a long time.”

4. Cover cornerbacks

“I just believe the coverage and the rush go hand in hand. The way you give quarterbacks fits is to get their receivers under wraps and to make them uncomfortable in the pocket.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/09/06/john-elways-blueprint-for-building-a-broncos-winner/9320/

What this shows is that John Elway believes winning in the NFL revolves around being able to throw the football and being able to stop the opposing team from throwing the football.

2. Denver's 2011 draft for the most part featured players that would make an impact in the passing game. I fully understand that every player plays a role in every area of the game, but Denver selected a pass rusher, 2 safeties, and 2 TE's. Reading Elway's comments above it isn't surprising that Denver took the edge rusher at #2 over the the well rounded DT in Marcell Dareus or the freakish CB in Patrick Peterson. Heck, Denver took the dynamic Von Miller at #2 even with questions about how he would fit in the 4/3.

To go along with all of this the eventual #13 overall pick, Nick Fairley, was under consideration as the #2 pick for the Broncos. There were even reports after the draft that Denver was beginning to work the phone lines as Fairley fell looking to trade up to grab him. All indications seemed to point to the fact that Denver valued Fairley more than they did Marcell Dareus.

Why? I can't help but think it is due to the fact that Fairley was viewed as a more disruptive/pass rushing type of prospect.

3. Denver let arguably their top 2 run defending DT's leave this offseason in Brodrick Bunkley and Marcus Thomas. With little difficulty Denver could have brought back at least 1 and likely both players had they wanted to. Instead the team let both players, who offer little outside of stopping the run walk.

I can't help but think this was done because it doesn't fit the direction the franchise wants to go in at the position and how the defense plays. Elway above stated, "...The disruptive players you had to game plan for." Neither Bunkley or Thomas fit that mold.

4. Look at the moves made this offseason. Every move Denver has made directly correlates to improving the passing game. Manning, Dreessen, Tamme, Porter, and Adams are all players that were brought in to improve Denver's passing offense or coverage in the secondary.

--------To sum it all up. Maybe we should be looking at this team targeting the players with higher upside as "disruptors" and pass rushers along the interior of the defensive line instead of the clogging run defenders. Maybe we should be looking more toward how this team can improve the their passing abilities both offensively and defensively both in base and especially subpackage situations.

Who knows, this could be all wrong, but the short history of Elway at the helm supports this post and is something to think about IMO.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
This is just food for thought. I am not saying i agree or disagree, but maybe many of us are going about Denver's preference along the defensive line all wrong.

Many of us are talking about Denver needing at least 1 run stuffing DT because as of now Denver severely lacks a player of that skill set. However, maybe that isn't Denver's preference along the interior.

1. Statement from Elway made in early September, 2011 about the 4 most important positions in order to build a winning football team.

Quote:
1. Quarterback

“Far and away the most important position,” Elway said. “You need the guy to win you a championship from the pocket, to be a leader, to make it go. And you’re looking for the athlete at the position who can operate from the pocket and get out when he needs to.”

2. Edge pass rusher

“I know the players who you didn’t want to see across from you, the disruptive players you had to game plan for.”

3. Left offensive tackle

“He protects the most important player’s blindside. You can’t play if the guys you can’t see coming keep hitting you. He has to be athletic, smart and tough, and you hope he’s there a long time.”

4. Cover cornerbacks

“I just believe the coverage and the rush go hand in hand. The way you give quarterbacks fits is to get their receivers under wraps and to make them uncomfortable in the pocket.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/09/06/john-elways-blueprint-for-building-a-broncos-winner/9320/

What this shows is that John Elway believes winning in the NFL revolves around being able to throw the football and being able to stop the opposing team from throwing the football.

2. Denver's 2011 draft for the most part featured players that would make an impact in the passing game. I fully understand that every player plays a role in every area of the game, but Denver selected a pass rusher, 2 safeties, and 2 TE's. Reading Elway's comments above it isn't surprising that Denver took the edge rusher at #2 over the the well rounded DT in Marcell Dareus or the freakish CB in Patrick Peterson. Heck, Denver took the dynamic Von Miller at #2 even with questions about how he would fit in the 4/3.

To go along with all of this the eventual #13 overall pick, Nick Fairley, was under consideration as the #2 pick for the Broncos. There were even reports after the draft that Denver was beginning to work the phone lines as Fairley fell looking to trade up to grab him. All indications seemed to point to the fact that Denver valued Fairley more than they did Marcell Dareus.

Why? I can't help but think it is due to the fact that Fairley was viewed as a more disruptive/pass rushing type of prospect.

3. Denver let arguably their top 2 run defending DT's leave this offseason in Brodrick Bunkley and Marcus Thomas. With little difficulty Denver could have brought back at least 1 and likely both players had they wanted to. Instead the team let both players, who offer little outside of stopping the run walk.

I can't help but think this was done because it doesn't fit the direction the franchise wants to go in at the position and how the defense plays. Elway above stated, "...The disruptive players you had to game plan for." Neither Bunkley or Thomas fit that mold.

4. Look at the moves made this offseason. Every move Denver has made directly correlates to improving the passing game. Manning, Dreessen, Tamme, Porter, and Adams are all players that were brought in to improve Denver's passing offense or coverage in the secondary.

--------To sum it all up. Maybe we should be looking at this team targeting the players with higher upside as "disruptors" and pass rushers along the interior of the defensive line instead of the clogging run defenders. Maybe we should be looking more toward how this team can improve the their passing abilities both offensively and defensively both in base and especially subpackage situations.

Who knows, this could be all wrong, but the short history of Elway at the helm supports this post and is something to think about IMO.

I see where you're coming from, but how to stop the run effectively if not with at least one run-stuffing DT? An elite MLB (which we don't have) can only do so much and in a 4-3 is usually undersized. But going back to which player we might target with pick 25 while keeping in mind your train of thought, I'd say it would either be DT Worthy, WR Hill or RB Martin. CB Gilmore might be an option as well but we just have signed Porter.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:

Quote:
1. Quarterback

2. Edge pass rusher

3. Left offensive tackle

4. Cover cornerbacks

I agree with what youre syaing germ. Elway and Fox (even Allen when he was here) spoke alot about being disruptive and explosive on the defensive side. I have full confidence in our LBers, if we can seriously get some dominant players at DT. The only problem is that theres none available in FA and only a handful in the draft.

Also, what about the fact that John Fox wants to run the ball though? I believe the additions of Tamme and Dreesen were to give Manning comfort because of our lack of talent at TE.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

Quote:
1. Quarterback

2. Edge pass rusher

3. Left offensive tackle

4. Cover cornerbacks

I see where you're coming from, but how to stop the run effectively if not with at least one run-stuffing DT? An elite MLB (which we don't have) can only do so much and in a 4-3 is usually undersized. But going back to which player we might target with pick 25 while keeping in mind your train of thought, I'd say it would either be DT Worthy, WR Hill or RB Martin. CB Gilmore might be an option as well but we just have signed Porter.

I think Denver needs at least one quality run defender at DT, but it seems that Elway doesn't place high value on that skill set. That doesn't mean Denver wouldn't add a guy like this, but i don't think it will be done with an early round pick. I would love a guy like Alameda Ta'amu, who would fit great as an early down defender inside.

Though, defenses can be effective vs the run without the 320+ pounders clogging the middle.

Luckily for Denver nearly all of the top DT's in this draft have upside as pass rushers and guys that can make a living by getting behind the LOS. In that regard i don't think my post would answer any questions about what DT's Denver would likely draft at #25. Brockers, Poe, Cox, Worthy, Reyes, Still, and even Thompson are all guys that could fit the philosophy i posted above.

Though it could mean Denver going in a different direction than DT with their 1st pick depending who is availabe if Elway feels their impact will be greater in the passing game, either offensively or defensively.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

Quote:
1. Quarterback

2. Edge pass rusher

3. Left offensive tackle

4. Cover cornerbacks

I think Denver needs at least one quality run defender at DT, but it seems that Elway doesn't place high value on that skill set. That doesn't mean Denver wouldn't add a guy like this, but i don't think it will be done with an early round pick. I would love a guy like Alameda Ta'amu, who would fit great as an early down defender inside.

Though, defenses can be effective vs the run without the 320+ pounders clogging the middle.

Luckily for Denver nearly all of the top DT's in this draft have upside as pass rushers and guys that can make a living by getting behind the LOS. In that regard i don't think my post would answer any questions about what DT's Denver would likely draft at #25. Brockers, Poe, Cox, Worthy, Reyes, Still, and even Thompson are all guys that could fit the philosophy i posted above.

Though it could mean Denver going in a different direction than DT with their 1st pick depending who is availabe if Elway feels their impact will be greater in the passing game, either offensively or defensively.

I wonder how?

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
THE MAMMOTH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:

Quote:
1. Quarterback

2. Edge pass rusher

3. Left offensive tackle

4. Cover cornerbacks

Great post, and I totally agree that EXF place no emphasis on stopping the run with Manning at QB (Even though with McFadden, Charles, and Matthews healthy we have arguably one of the toughest running divisions in football). But I wonder how this will affect our draft strategy, meaning more of an emphasis Gilmore, Jenkins, Mercilus, or Coples if he falls.

Personally, if Coples falls he would be a real asset to this team due to his versatility. He could play on the outside on running downs, and then move into defensive tackle with Ayers on passing downs. A line with Dumervil and Von on the outside and Ayers and Coples inside would be beastly. Also, Coples played a lot of defensive tackle when UNC was going through all of those suspensions last year.

As you alluded to in your post, Coples could be the interior penetrator that EXF have been coveting.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
germ-x wrote:

I wonder how?

I am not saying it is the best strategy, but disruptive players can create as much havoc in the running game as they can in the passing game, especially along the interior of the defensive line. Though i think it is a lot more hit or miss.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect us to play it safe though and look at pro ready guys that won't bust but probably won't be pro bowlers either.

At this point we just need to fill holes that won't prevent Peyton taking us to the Super Bowl.

Personally love both Thompson and Worthy and would love to try and trade down to the early second and pick up another early 4th then trade up from our second giving up our own 4th and add both Thompson and Worthy.

Fify.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amobi Okoye just signed a 1-year contract with Tampa Bay. I can't tell how serious Denver was in trying to sign him.

Currently, the expected starting DTs are Ty Warren and Kevin Vickerson. Both were injured last year so I can't trust that they are really ready.

The options for the Broncos look like:

1) re-sign Marcus Thomas
I've read a variety of rumors that he is ready to re-sign after testing free agency without getting a big contract.

2) sign Justin Bannan
He would be a rotational player, not a starter.

3)wait to see who gets cut before the regular season
This option is always to be used but it's not a good long-term team strategy to pick up discarded players. I expect the Broncos to watch the waiver wire and grab at least one cut player.

4) draft
An early-round pick is looking very likely. Poe is dropping on many boards after he had earlier shot up on them from his Combine results.
The players likely to be available at #25 look good. Brockers? Still? Worthy? Plus more good players will be available in the second round.
Some folks predict that the Broncos take DTs in 1st and 2nd rounds.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally scheduled to earn $2.1 million with a $400,000 roster bonus as part of his two-year, $5 million extension, Vickerson's roster bonus has been deleted and his base salary has been reduced to $1.2 million for the 2012 season. The adjustment reduces Vickerson's 2012 cap number by $1.3 million.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/04/broncos-dt-kevin-vickerson-takes-pay.html

I'm scratching my head over the Bronco's off-season deals for the DL. It seems like the plan is to patch together a group of DTs from journeyman players rather than buying top talent. Maybe this is in preparation for drafting a DT early, or maybe the intention is to get through the season without any big changes. Who knows.
Army

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Amobi Okoye just signed a 1-year contract with Tampa Bay. I can't tell how serious Denver was in trying to sign him.

Currently, the expected starting DTs are Ty Warren and Kevin Vickerson. Both were injured last year so I can't trust that they are really ready.

1) re-sign Marcus Thomas
I've read a variety of rumors that he is ready to re-sign after testing free agency without getting a big contract.

2) sign Justin Bannan

This option is always to be used but it's not a good long-term team strategy to pick up discarded players. I expect the Broncos to watch the waiver wire and grab at least one cut player.

4) draft
An early-round pick is looking very likely. Poe is dropping on many boards after he had earlier shot up on them from his Combine results.
The players likely to be available at #25 look good. Brockers? Still? Worthy? Plus more good players will be available in the second round.

5) Trade

Brodrick Bunkley was had for a late round draft pick.
Winder23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Army wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

1) re-sign Marcus Thomas

2) sign Justin Bannan

4) draft

5) Trade

Brodrick Bunkley was had for a late round draft pick.
If someone is available it could happen. I have been combing NFL rosters for possible trade scenarios. Sammie Lee Hill is an obvious one as is Corey Williams. The Lions are stacked at DT and either of these players would help our team.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too tired to comment on this, but anyways, thought it was an interesting read...

Projecting how Jack Del Rio will impact the Denver Broncos defense

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1249927-projecting-how-jack-del-rio-will-impact-the-denver-broncos-defense?utm_source=teamstream&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=tsandroid

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: