Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who dat gonna pay...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7638603/new-orleans-saints-defense-had-bounty-program-nfl-says

Quote:
The investigation showed that the total amount of funds in the pool may have reached $50,000 or more at its height during the 2009 playoffs.

Really not shocked by this at all. They were clearly out to injure Favre.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:
In the immortal words of Happy Gilmore, "who gives a -"

Really, who cares? Are they going to make New Orleans forfeit the Super Bowl? They got their ultimate reward for doing what they had to do. Complaining about it now is just sour grapes.

In fact, I'm disappointed that the Vikings didn't use the same strategy against the Saints.

Even if they forfeit their trophy, it's not likely going to change the fact that they won...however, the fact that they resorted to such tactics to do so will certainly sour the public's opinions on the franchise.

The most famous word-play on the franchise name might go from the 'Aints to the Taints. (not intended to be used as the Urban Dictionary term)

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was the commissioner I would hit every player and coach (including Sean Payton) who was involved with this a hefty fine and a 4 game suspension. I would also take away all prime-time games for the next three years, and take away their first round pick for this year and next year.

This is absolutely despicable and has no place in professional sports. Concerning the intense focus on player safety, Goddell needs to make the consequences of this so severe that nobody will ever consider anything like this again. I’m guessing the players on other teams are also going to be making the Saints pay the price this season.
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:

Really, who cares? Are they going to make New Orleans forfeit the Super Bowl? They got their ultimate reward for doing what they had to do. Complaining about it now is just sour grapes.

In fact, I'm disappointed that the Vikings didn't use the same strategy against the Saints.

There is absolutely no excuse for intentionally trying to injure a player. None. This is worse than Spygate.

Bring it out into the open now is not sour grapes. Rather, it is the NFL trying to do what needs to be done...and that is making sure that professional football is a sport that has integrity, safety and sportsmanship as its core values.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
If I was the commissioner I would hit every player and coach (including Sean Payton) who was involved with this a hefty fine and a 4 game suspension. I would also take away all prime-time games for the next three years, and take away their first round pick for this year and next year.

This is absolutely despicable and has no place in professional sports. Concerning the intense focus on player safety, Goddell needs to make the consequences of this so severe that nobody will ever consider anything like this again. I’m guessing the players on other teams are also going to be making the Saints pay the price this season.

Take away their first this year? Have we decided to punish the Patriots as well, since they have the Saints first? Laughing

NorCalVike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...penalties higher than given out to spygate, what a great day!!! Laughing
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:
Really, who cares?

well actually, i think we all should.

ProudHorn wrote:
Are they going to make New Orleans forfeit the Super Bowl? They got their ultimate reward for doing what they had to do. Complaining about it now is just sour grapes.

i don't propose anything happen retroactively to the Saints' won/loss record that year, that's history.

but something does need to be done to make sure this doesn't happen again. that's protecting the future.

the NFL prides itself on its integrity versus the other sports leagues out there for the consumer to watch. they can't let this go lightly.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportskid_021

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question as it relates to this is would be if this is considered circumvention of the salary cap? Also with the yearly warnings sent ount league wide directing teams against this, it would have to only get expected that the hammer gets laid...

Also what legal ramifications could this open up? Could someone like a Favre or Warner sue the Saints/Williams for their injuries?

"There's only one Tree Hill, and it's your home." ~ 2003-2012
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NFL is quickly making some public statements now:

Commissioner Goodell, in a league-issued release: “The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for ‘performance,’ but also for injuring opposing players. The anti-bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."

“It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated. We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it.”

The league’s release says that the program was administered by former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, and that it included payments not only for fumbles and interceptions but also for inflicting injuries that resulted in players being carried off the field ($1,000) and/or knocked out of the game ($1,500).

The release also states that coach Sean Payton, while not involved in the program directly, was aware of it and did nothing to stop it.

General Manager Mickey Loomis also has been implicated; though the relevant portion of the release is a bit unclear, it appears that Loomis may have lied to owner Tom Benson about the existence of a bounty program and/or failed to carry out Benson’s directive that it be ended.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/nfl-finds-that-saints-violated-bounty-rule/related/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleProwess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete.

Some gave all, All gave some.

All posting to be done henceforth via Phone. I apologize for the errors.

Last edited by PurpleProwess on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have documented proof that players were paid to injure other players, everybody involved should face criminal charges in addition to NFL disciplinary action.
JMac79

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rough day for New Orleans' Saints fans...

First, Drew Brees turns down the Saints' offer to be the highest-paid player in NFL history (that term isn't nearly as meaningful as some make it out to be, because someone else will get that crown in 1-2 years mind you... but still).

Now this. I think the organization deserves a hefty amount of punishment for this type of transgression; I think forfeiture of selected 2013 draft picks would likely be in order, if not some beyond 2013 as well. As had been noted before, Gregg Williams, Sean Payton, and Mickey Loomis all had knowledge of what was going on, and didn't stop it... so it really does fall into that category of "institutional" disregard for safety and sportsmanship. Its one thing to have players doing it among themselves... but once the coaches and Front Office personnel know about it (and evidently participate in it) and don't stop it in its tracks, that's when the organization, and not merely individuals, have to suffer the consequences.

Like I said, you gotta at least feel a little bad for the Saints' fans in all of this... a tough news day for them.

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance this causes Brees to try to leave town? (He will get franchised regardless).
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I will forever see the Vikings as the rightful 2009/2010 SB champs.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProudHorn wrote:

That is an utterly ridiculous and even repulsive thought.

Advocating the intentional harming of opposing football players? This is football, not criminal activity. I'm disturbed that a fellow football fan would even think of advocating this.

Peppers90 on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28

Jump to: