Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Round Position

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sanitizer


Joined: 18 Feb 2010
Posts: 117
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: First Round Position Reply with quote

Obviously with Free Agency approaching it is very hard to figure out which way AJ will go in the first round. I keep telling myself it will and has to be an OLB. But I realized today that after 2012, the only O-Lineman under contract would be Schilling.

I do not think Jon Martin and Mike Adams are 18th overall picks. I do however believe DeCastro is, but I think he's long gone by our pick. The option I look at is Cordy Glenn. Can play inside, can kick to RT, possibly LT, gives us plenty of options by adding him, and lets be serious, Phil is our #1 concern.

So if it comes down to it and Cordy Glenn is available, as is Nick Perry, Cortney Upshaw, or some other D-Lineman or OLB, what do you guys figure will be the pick?

At this juncture, as much as I love Perry and absolutely want that to be our pick. I think the best choice is Glenn, then OLB in round 2...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24432
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: First Round Position Reply with quote

sanitizer wrote:
Obviously with Free Agency approaching it is very hard to figure out which way AJ will go in the first round. I keep telling myself it will and has to be an OLB. But I realized today that after 2012, the only O-Lineman under contract would be Schilling.

I do not think Jon Martin and Mike Adams are 18th overall picks. I do however believe DeCastro is, but I think he's long gone by our pick. The option I look at is Cordy Glenn. Can play inside, can kick to RT, possibly LT, gives us plenty of options by adding him, and lets be serious, Phil is our #1 concern.

So if it comes down to it and Cordy Glenn is available, as is Nick Perry, Cortney Upshaw, or some other D-Lineman or OLB, what do you guys figure will be the pick?

At this juncture, as much as I love Perry and absolutely want that to be our pick. I think the best choice is Glenn, then OLB in round 2...

AJ doesn't draft 1st round linemen. It's as simple as that. If he wouldn't do it when we needed an LT to replace Roman Oben or a center to upgrade over the blah-ness that was Jason Ball, what makes anyone think he's going to do it to fill a gap at LG (where, I'm sure, the coaching staff is assuring him that Green is able to step right in for Dielman; as seems to be the indication coming out of Acee's neck of the woods) or to bring in an RT?

I realize we take everything the guy says with a grain of salt because he's gotten a bit too into his own publicity of late, but Acee is tuned in far more to the front office and has the corner office in the media trailer for a reason. He's probably the most reliable source we've got... and he's been saying one major player in the FO, and several others, are really, really keen on Harrison Smith in the 2nd round.

Granted, it could be a smoke screen or rather I would hope it is, not because I don't like Smith as a prospect, but because you'd think if Acee had the franchise's best interest in mind he'd keep his damn mouth shut and not broadcast to the other teams what our intent is. Then again, I have trouble seeing Smith falling to the 17th pick in the 2nd round so if our FO wants him, they may have already resided themselves to trading up to get him (yippie! Confused ).

So it's sounding a likely, typical AJ lack of flexibility and complete need-based drafting of OLB in the 1st round (unless we address that in FA) elsewise likely WR with the slight chance of NT (I could see them giving Poe some consideration at #18 if he's magically still there, as he does have the ability to play the 5-Tech some as a rookie before kicking inside to the nose).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntonioGates


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 7819
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I look at thew team and wouldn't be surprised if it was any position beside QB, RB, and special teams. Now I don't think FB, TE, DE, ILB and CB are spots the Chargers would spend a first for various reasons. And realistically I would expect some of Hardwick, Jackson, Gaither, Garay, and other free agents to be brought back, or signed from other teams.

Realistically I look at Green, Laboy/Barnes, Stuckey, and Cam Thomas as the guys who have the most to prove and need competition. I've left out Clary since he will be here as long as AJ and Norv are around. So OLB, S, NT, and offensive line are the most likely spots right now. But if VJ isn't signed and we only get a guy liek Royal, then WR is a good bet. Same with Hardwick and center position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lakeroy


Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Right now I look at thew team and wouldn't be surprised if it was any position beside QB, RB, and special teams. Now I don't think FB, TE, DE, ILB and CB are spots the Chargers would spend a first for various reasons. And realistically I would expect some of Hardwick, Jackson, Gaither, Garay, and other free agents to be brought back, or signed from other teams.

Realistically I look at Green, Laboy/Barnes, Stuckey, and Cam Thomas as the guys who have the most to prove and need competition. I've left out Clary since he will be here as long as AJ and Norv are around. So OLB, S, NT, and offensive line are the most likely spots right now. But if VJ isn't signed and we only get a guy liek Royal, then WR is a good bet. Same with Hardwick and center position.
I would argue that Cam Thomas doesn't need competition, he just needs someone to rotate with him(no matter how good an NT is, he's not going to play every snap). I would also argue that Greene doesn't need competition, it's Vasquez that needs some competition at guard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24432
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeroy wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:
Right now I look at thew team and wouldn't be surprised if it was any position beside QB, RB, and special teams. Now I don't think FB, TE, DE, ILB and CB are spots the Chargers would spend a first for various reasons. And realistically I would expect some of Hardwick, Jackson, Gaither, Garay, and other free agents to be brought back, or signed from other teams.

Realistically I look at Green, Laboy/Barnes, Stuckey, and Cam Thomas as the guys who have the most to prove and need competition. I've left out Clary since he will be here as long as AJ and Norv are around. So OLB, S, NT, and offensive line are the most likely spots right now. But if VJ isn't signed and we only get a guy liek Royal, then WR is a good bet. Same with Hardwick and center position.
I would argue that Cam Thomas doesn't need competition, he just needs someone to rotate with him(no matter how good an NT is, he's not going to play every snap). I would also argue that Greene doesn't need competition, it's Vasquez that needs some competition at guard.

And I would argue that Green, Thomas, and Vasquez haven't proven enough to merit passing on a high-end (and by that I mean Pro Bowler ceiling) player if we have the opportunity to lay hands on one. We're invested in them yes, but we're invested rather cheaply not so badly that if all they ever are to us is depth/quality back-ups then we're still getting a solid return on initial investment.

Depending on how the coaching staff ultimately views Martin, I'd throw 5-Tech in there as a possible option maybe not in the 1st, but certainly in the 2nd if the value is right. I could probably even get on board with the pick of someone like Coples or Brockers (possibly Still as well, though I'm not convinced he's as athletic), if the thought is to let V-Mart rotate with Thomas and have someone other than Cesaire spell Vaughn at end. Gut instinct, but I get the feeling that only one of Martin and Thomas ultimately end up with us long-term and starting.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sd screenwriter


Joined: 21 Dec 2004
Posts: 260
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AJ doesn't draft 1st round linemen. It's as simple as that.


(Voice of Yoda): That...is why he fails...in the trenches are championships won...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 24432
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd screenwriter wrote:
Quote:
AJ doesn't draft 1st round linemen. It's as simple as that.


(Voice of Yoda): That...is why he fails...in the trenches are championships won...


There's a very small part of me that agrees, but you're horribly overgeneralizing.

So the championship caliber OL are only available in the 1st round? I suppose the OL that the Saints won with (Bushrod - 4th rd, Nicks - 5th rd, Goodwin - 4th rd, Evans - 4th rd, Stinchcomb - 2nd rd) was all 1st rounders. Or the 2008 Steelers, with no higher than a 3rd round pick on their OL? The 2007 Colts with a single 1st rounder (who was in his 10th year in the league) on their line, and otherwise a bunch of mid-rounders?

Our problem is less that we don't draft linemen early and more that AJ, when he does draft them, drafts the wrong kind of linemen (i.e. guys with all this great untapped potential that our coaching staff seems incapable of ever actually tapping). There's a lot more 1st round bust (or guys who never live up to the stock/hype) OL than I think you're really accounting for.

But hey... I'm only trying to be objective and realistic and look at BOTH sides of the coin.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group