Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Duke's Top 1000 Favorite Movies (1-1800 pg. 13)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: The Duke's Top 1000 Favorite Movies (1-1800 pg. 13) Reply with quote

Being Nerd Pride Day (seriously, it is, look it up) and it being my 10,000th post on a single internet forum I thought i'd do something especially nerdy. I'm a DBA professionally and I like logicaly ordering things. About 4-5 months ago I started a movie database where I have entered every movie I have ever seen (or at least remember seeing) and ranked them. If I couldn't remember details about a movie or wasn't sure I didn't count it so I might be a little low, but after extensive checking I have my list of 1637 movies from The Great Train Robbery (1903) to Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011). Now with my DB as I see movies, I can add them and rank them as I go. Here I present my top 1000 favorite movies, starting with 1000-901:

This list is as of 5/25/2011, any movie I see after that date will not be reflected in this version of the list

1000 . Bee Movie - Stock Seinfeld humor despite being an animated movie about a honey bee
999 . The Longest Yard (2005) - Never seen the original but I thought they brought together a good cast for all the slap stick they had in this
998 . The Legend of Zorro - The sequel isn't close to the original but still a good tale of the swashbuckling masked man
997 . The Aristocats - Despite my hatred of cats this movie has a nice tale (pun intended) and some memorable characters like Scat Cat
996 . Space Cowboys - Pretty much an excuse for old guys to act like hard***es again but it still works
995 . Jack - Alternating between amusing (the scene where he buys beer is pretty dang funny) and heartbreaking, an underrateed performance from Williams
994 . Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - This would have been about 970 spots higher when I was 10. Looking back it's a really bad movie but by almost nostalgia alone I still enjoy this one
993 . The Wizard - Just like TMNT this one goes back to me as a kid who loved playing Nintendo as well, but with a bit more plot
992 . 8mm - Tense, dark and unsettling, I liked Cage in this one.
991 . Nosferatu, A Symphony of Terror - Even for a silent movie it does an incredible job in conveying so many ideas and impressions visually
990 . Charlotte's Web - The animated version from the 70's, still gets to me after all these years.
989 . The Rundown - The Rock beating the crap out of people, it's what he does best. Christopher Walken plays a great cheesy villain too.
988 . The Wild - This got dwarfed by Madagascar but it still provides a decent story
987 . Double Jeopardy - Ashley Judd smoking hot, Tommy Lee Jones in a cop role and a very satisfying ending
986 . Mortal Kombat - So terrible it is fun to watch on kitsch value alone
985 . Austin Powers in Goldmember - "Michael Caine saved this move. ""There are only two things I cannot stand. One is intolerance of other peoples culutres, and the other is the Dutch"""
984 . Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Style over susbtance in this one but a whole bunch of action
983 . Ghosts of Mississippi - Great performance by James Woods who refused to meet the creitan he portrayed
982 . Charlie's Angels - Bad plot but some OK action and the three leads never looked better
981 . Wild Wild West - A better villain could have made this a much better movie, I liked the interaction between Smith and Cline
980 . Snake Eyes - Love the opening long shot (even with the hidden cuts) and I enjoyed how the mystery aspects
979 . Cookie's Fortune - A bit of an odd movie but Julianne Moore had a great role and upstaged everyone
978 . Volcano - Standard popcorn flick but enjoyable enough
977 . Something to Talk About - Stellar cast with Duvall, Roberts and Quaid
976 . One Fine Day - Clooney has a lot of good performances but this one never seems to get brought up
975 . Alaska - Just fantastic scenary, the kid actors aren't too terrible and one of Charleton Heston's last roles
974 . Falling Down - Michael Douglas just going nuts
973 . The 300 Spartans - No, not that 300, the one from the 60's that tries to be historically accurate.
972 . The Rescuers - One of my childhood staples. Hasn't held up well, but it isn't bad.
971 . The Cable Guy - This could have been so much better if Jim Carrey would have toned down the zany and player more of a straight character with quirks, but it still has it's moments
970 . Unlawful Entry - Ray Liotta plays a solid nutbar, some good suspense
969 . Poltergeist - """They're heeeeerrrrree"". That simple line still lives on in pop culture. This movie scared the crap out of me when I was young."
968 . Great Expectations - I liked Hawke's performance in this and thought it was a solid adaptation of the book
967 . That Thing You Do - Good story, decent directorial debut for Tom Hanks
966 . Passenger 57 - Solid action flick back when Wesley Snipes actually made solid movies
965 . The Land Before Time - I actually didn't like this much as a kid but appreciate it more now
964 . Clean Slate - Dana Carvey is funnier in short skits with his oddball characters but for movies I think he is much better playing a normal guy
963 . Mystery Men - The quirky supporting cast saves this movie from Ben Stiller
962 . The Legend of Billie Jean - My wife absolutely adores this movie so I've seen it a few times and it does have a good rebel tone to it
961 . Hannibal - A rapid departure from the book, I have it this high for the unintentional comedy more than anything
960 . Bulletproof - Really enjoyed the back and forth between Sandler and Wayans
959 . 9 to 5 - What a lot of people would like to do to some a*****e boss they have had at one point or another
958 . Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Not as good as the original but still some solid paranormal action
957 . Eyes Wide Shut - Kubrick's final movie, I think it would have been better had he been able to spend more time on it
956 . Executive Decision - There is just something oddly satisfying in seeing Steven Segal ripped out of an airplane at 30,000 feet
955 . Leatherheads - Was pleasantly surprised but this one, Clooney carried it on his back
954 . Dirty Work - About the only type of role Norm MacDonald can do, but this is what he does best. The dead hooker prank is hilareous
953 . Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy - Some good one liners moreso than a good plot
952 . Sleepy Hollow - Really liked the cinamatography
951 . The Legend of Bagger Vance - I enjoyed the supporting cast more than the three main leads, but I think it gets a bit too much criticism, still enjoyed it
950 . Meet Joe Black - Brad Pitt does etherial well and Anthony Hopkins notches a good performance
949 . Murder in the First - Maybe the most impressive Kevin Bacon performance, if not the most liked
948 . The Wood - Good coming of age movie as it goes between the leads childhood experiences and how it's affecting them right before one of their weddings
947 . See No Evil, Hear No Evil - Filled with gags, but done well enough. Of course the blind guy has to drive a car at some point
946 . Pocahontas - Avatar without 3D, I kid, I kidů.mostly. Back when Disney still cared more about story than the latest animation techniques
945 . The Pelican Brief - Solid legal thriller
944 . Sunrise - The first major tracking shot and it still remains as one of the better ones
943 . The Quick and the Dead - Sharon Stone is less than stellar but we get good supporting performances from Hackman, Crowe and Dicaprio. I would rather have watched a movie on Crowe's character.
942 . Yogi Bear - A silly movie but fun and I may over rank it a bit since it was the first movie I took my twins to see
941 . Le Cercle Rouge - I had a strong dislike for this movie right after I saw it, but it was mainly from disappointment since it had been built up so much from what I'd heard. It is still a solid hesit movie with some great camera work
940 . The Wild One - Brando carries this movie on sheer bravado
939 . The Bridges of Madison County - An engrossing story and great performances by Streep and Eastwood
938 . Blue Valentine - Very effective at pulling at your emotions, a gut wrenching movie
937 . Runaway Bride - Didn't like the ending but it had some good gags and solid tender moments throughout
936 . Walking Tall - The Rock beating people with a big 2x4, what's not to like?
935 . Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - They should have made the Silver Surfer more of a bad***
934 . Training Day - Now we now just how far over the top Denzel can go when given free reign. Highly entertaining performance from him
933 . Jackass: The Movie - Pretty much the TV show in movie format, one of them is enough
932 . Alien Resurrection - A pale comparison of the original trilogy (especially the first two) but I liked a couple of the twists they made in the series
931 . The Matrix Reloaded - Disappointing compared to the first but far from the abomination that was Matrix Revolutions, solid action sequences
930 . Tucker: The Man and His Dream - Wouldn't have guessed this was FF Coppola, but I think Bridges gives a solid performance in a decent if lesser known true story
929 . Blind Date - Bruce Willis doesn't get the comedic credit he deserves overall, on good display here
928 . Cocoon - Ron Howards first big hit as a director, a bit creepy, but good
927 . Serial Mom - This had to be fun as hell for Kathleen Turner to film, just so over the top
926 . The Rite - The thrid best exorcism related movie I have seen
925 . The Men Who State at Goats - What makes this movie for me is how hard Clooney sells it. I appreciated the irony of McGregor asking all the Jedi questions as well
924 . A Man for All Seasons - Saw this for the first time for a class, great profile of Sir Thomas Moore
923 . Cool Runnings - The chant the one guy says before they bobsled each time was repeated countless times when I was a kid
922 . Milk - A well made movie with some great performances, especially Brolin in my opinion.
921 . Enter the Dragon - The final showdown scene in the mirror room is classic
920 . Anaconda - Some good cheese in this one and Jon Voigt was a good choice
919 . A.I.: Artificial Intelligence - A bit disconnected as the movie goes on but still a touching ending
918 . Escape from LA - Not as gritty as the original but a solid sequel with the return of Snake Plisken
917 . The Bone Collector - Denzel does cop roles well, and Jolie is solid as well in this thriller
916 . The Lost World: Jurassic Park - I really enjoyed the scene with the T-Rex running through the city, as predictable as it was.
915 . Arthur - Only Dudley Moore could have pulled this roll of so well, a great fit
914 . The Peacemaker - Wow, a lot of Clooney in 1000-901, he's been in more stuff than I thought. Loved the very ending.
913 . Sid and Nancy - Gary Oldman is just so damn versitile. Great portrayal of Sid Vicious
912 . While You Were Sleeping - Back when Sandra Bullock was still charming
911 . What's Love Got to Do with It - Angela Bassett nailed the role of Tina Turner. Fishburne was a good Ike as well
910 . Pay it Forward - Strong themes and one of the more under rated Helen Hunt performances I think
909 . Legally Blonde - It would be ranked higher if Witherspoon wasn't so damn ditsy in this, and yes I know that was the point
908 . Narc - Solid cop drama with some good twists and turns
907 . Fried Green Tomatoes - Kathy Bates carries this on her back, she owns the screen whenever she is on it
906 . Young Einstein - This was one me and my dad watched a lot when I was little and it's in the so dumb that it's hilareous category
905 . The Music Man - Great musical, todays's musicals tend to take themselves a bit too seriously and not have as much fun as this movie is
904 . The Fan - Deniro does creepy well and Snipes does a good Barry Bonds imitation
903 . Cruel Intentions - A lot of the premises of this movie are really dumb but work so well in the context of the plot
902 . Rosewood - HBO movie based on a true story, good plot and performances all around
901 . Yes Man - Better than I expected, a good mixture of physical comedy and some genuine emotion

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by THE DUKE on Fri May 10, 2013 9:54 pm; edited 23 times in total
moss_is_1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'll definitely be following this. I can't even begin to think of 1000 movies or how hard it is for me to pick my favorite.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moss_is_1 wrote:
Wow, I'll definitely be following this. I can't even begin to think of 1000 movies or how hard it is for me to pick my favorite.

It took me about 4 months to get them all entered and ranked just doing it a little bit at a time. I haven't entered all the information I will about each movie yet but I have columns for 8 seperate actors, director, release date, genre, subgenre, rank, critical rank (on a scale of 100), director, budget, US Gross, World wide gross, quotes, a notes field, franchise and year released (for the ones I don't have an exact release date for yet). I have a few seperate reports so I can view and rank based on various criteria. Each new movie I see I enter as much as a I can so my 2011 movies have all the info filled except for box office.

jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can barely do a top 10, kudos for top 1000.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
I can barely do a top 10, kudos for top 1000.

Technically I have a top 1637, I have literally ranked every movie. Dead last is Stone Cold, starring Brian Bosworth. That said, there are a lot of movies in there I don't like. I feel like I can legitimately say I like all 1000 of these movies, or at least significant parts of all 1000

Last edited by THE DUKE on Wed May 25, 2011 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
moss_is_1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:

It took me about 4 months to get them all entered and ranked just doing it a little bit at a time. I haven't entered all the information I will about each movie yet but I have columns for 8 seperate actors, director, release date, genre, subgenre, rank, critical rank (on a scale of 100), director, budget, US Gross, World wide gross, quotes, a notes field, franchise and year released (for the ones I don't have an exact release date for yet). I have a few seperate reports so I can view and rank based on various criteria. Each new movie I see I enter as much as a I can so my 2011 movies have all the info filled except for box office.
You must be the man, I can't even imagine doing all that.lol
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:

I would love to have a list like this but I simply cannot decide on order. I'd have to have tiers or something. I always enjoy your reviews so I'm looking forward to the rest.

So guys, what's the over/under for Russell Crowe movies. I'll say 7(I have no idea how many he's done).

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:

I would love to have a list like this but I simply cannot decide on order. I'd have to have tiers or something. I always enjoy your reviews so I'm looking forward to the rest.

So guys, what's the over/under for Russell Crowe movies. I'll say 7(I have no idea how many he's done).

Crowe is my favorite actor, i'll give you a very easy hint and say take the over and then some. He does have one movie in my bottom 100 though in 'No Way Back'.

james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've literally seen like 10 of those movies Laughing
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an undertaking. You definitely put a lot of time and effort into this. My only issue with a list this vast is that I would second guess my order everytime I looked at it.

I'm surprised that 8MM is on the list at all. If you've seen 1600 movies 8MM should still be 1701. Wink

EDIT: I love your description of Mystery Men, classic
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked

Good Luck. 1000 movies is insane.

^Deadpulse
Darrelle Revis

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is this i dont even

"I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last."
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was the only one crazy enough to have an "Ultimate Movie Program" as I call it. Laughing

Mine isn't quite as extensive, but I do have movies ranked by Year (going back to 1990), then decade. I'm still working on ranking my top 50 movies from the 2000s list and I'm finding that alone impossible to do. I only have 748 movies logged in my program (each with a star rating). I then also have movies ranked by director (only like 10) and also one further page of movies I want to see.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing your top 1000. I remember I loved looking through your top 100 a couple years back.
jonu62882

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the hell is Training Day so low?

holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love when people do this, gives me ideas for movies I should watch. Never seen a top 1,000 I don't think. Looking forward to keeping up with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: