Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Harrison Smith. Future Titan? And other Safety Talk....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Harrison Smith. Future Titan? And other Safety Talk.... Reply with quote

He had a good combine and I think he is Munchak type guy. I just got a feeling.. 2nd round.....

Last edited by KingTitan on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like him alot. He's a playmaker and can tackle. 2 things Griffin cant do. I doubt he's there by the time we pick in the 2nd round though Crying or Very sad
EverythingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All reports are saying that we are resigning Babineaux to a multi-year contract once the first day of FA starts (we can't resign him before that because of how the previous contract was set up). Babs would then shore up our SS spot, and Harrison Smith is a SS, not a FS.

Plus, this is just one analysis from CBS Sports that reminds me of Griffin:
Weaknesses: An upright athlete who lacks ideal body flexibility and natural explosion to hold up in coverage or space. Has tight hips and struggles to turn and quickly change directions. Plays stiff. Needs to be a more technically-sound tackler, often going for the knockout hit or forced fumble instead of wrapping up. Hits too high and loses leverage, allowing ballcarriers to pick up extra yards. Plays overaggressive and moves too fast for his eyes. Missed tackles in space and over runs plays. Has streaky instincts and doesn't see things as quick as he needs to. Still has a lot of developing to do. Needs to play under control and disciplined. Too many unnecessary facemask penalties on his record. Has poor footwork and feel in man coverage and is too hands-on when left on an island. Will attract pass interference penalties. Still made too many mistakes as a senior and didn't register an interception in 2011 after seven pick-offs in 2010.

That's just one of many reports I've read. He has all the natural abilities, but is too raw and too undisciplined, and Munchack wants discipline, as well as tackling ability, so I don't even see him on our big board. I'd rather go with Markelle Martin. He has great tackling ability and even better coverage skills, and he would be ranked higher but he comes from the Big 12, and scouts tend to devalue DBs from the Big 12.

#10 Jake Locker: He puts the "Ten", in Tennessee
Blazed-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So um what is a Mike Munchak time a of guy?
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingTitan wrote:
All reports are saying that we are resigning Babineaux to a multi-year contract once the first day of FA starts (we can't resign him before that because of how the previous contract was set up). Babs would then shore up our SS spot, and Harrison Smith is a SS, not a FS.

Weaknesses: An upright athlete who lacks ideal body flexibility and natural explosion to hold up in coverage or space. Has tight hips and struggles to turn and quickly change directions. Plays stiff. Needs to be a more technically-sound tackler, often going for the knockout hit or forced fumble instead of wrapping up. Hits too high and loses leverage, allowing ballcarriers to pick up extra yards. Plays overaggressive and moves too fast for his eyes. Missed tackles in space and over runs plays. Has streaky instincts and doesn't see things as quick as he needs to. Still has a lot of developing to do. Needs to play under control and disciplined. Too many unnecessary facemask penalties on his record. Has poor footwork and feel in man coverage and is too hands-on when left on an island. Will attract pass interference penalties. Still made too many mistakes as a senior and didn't register an interception in 2011 after seven pick-offs in 2010.

That's just one of many reports I've read. He has all the natural abilities, but is too raw and too undisciplined, and Munchack wants discipline, as well as tackling ability, so I don't even see him on our big board. I'd rather go with Markelle Martin. He has great tackling ability and even better coverage skills, and he would be ranked higher but he comes from the Big 12, and scouts tend to devalue DBs from the Big 12.

you always have to remember that draft picks aren't finished products. Even if we re-sign Babs, no harm in letting Harrison Smith learn for a year or 2 behind him...
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazed- wrote:

A smart player who has a football IQ and has that "lunch pale" type work ethic...
Blazed-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Blazed- wrote:

A smart player who has a football IQ and has that "lunch pale" type work ethic...

You described almost every white guy in the draft.
EverythingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
EverythingTitan wrote:

you always have to remember that draft picks aren't finished products. Even if we re-sign Babs, no harm in letting Harrison Smith learn for a year or 2 behind him...

I agree with that. But the truth is that Munchack wants discipline, which Harrison Smith has proven not to be. He also doesn't have good football IQ from other reports, which I have seen when I've watched him play, which has been covered up some at the college level by his raw skills. So, being raw and a low football IQ would cause me to stay clear. Plus, after FA we will probably still need a starting FS, which Smith isn't suited for. So why use a second round pick to develop a player for 2 years, when we can use it on a player that can make an immediate impact?

#10 Jake Locker: He puts the "Ten", in Tennessee
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazed- wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Blazed- wrote:

Maybe in your opinion yeah, but that's a narrow-minded point of view.

Donta Hightower, Lavonte David, Sean Spence, Doug Martin,Dewayne Allen and many others all give me the opinion of being "football first" guys and Lunch pale type guys.
RebelTitan24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this guy?????

Winston Guy ~ Kentucky

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/winston-guy?id=2533345

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1072861-nfl-draft-2012-cincinnati-bengals-should-draft-kentucky-safety-winston-guy-jr

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/2/4/2770510/scouting-the-draft-winston-guy-jr-s-kentucky

All you Kentucky fans out there, Whats the knock on him, everything Ive been ready - He should be one of the most solid midround pick in the draft.

Last edited by RebelTitan24 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverythingTitan wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
EverythingTitan wrote:

I agree with that. But the truth is that Munchack wants discipline, which Harrison Smith has proven not to be. He also doesn't have good football IQ from other reports, which I have seen when I've watched him play, which has been covered up some at the college level by his raw skills. So, being raw and a low football IQ would cause me to stay clear. Plus, after FA we will probably still need a starting FS, which Smith isn't suited for. So why use a second round pick to develop a player for 2 years, when we can use it on a player that can make an immediate impact?

This is the same team that is allowing our Top 10 pick of last year to sit and "develop" it happens. He play some special teams if need be. And you never know how a player might develop with some NFL coaching.

They didn't think McCarthy would be ready so soon, but boom.. there he is...

I'm not calling Harrison the best thing since sliced bread, he has flaws, but his vibe to me says he is a guy our team would like. That's my main point there.....he has a skill set that if developed right, could build a good player.
Blazed-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Blazed- wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Blazed- wrote:

Donta Hightower, Lavonte David, Sean Spence, Doug Martin,Dewayne Allen and many others all give me the opinion of being "football first" guys and Lunch pale type guys.

My opinion? it's pretty much in every scouting report for every white guy.When did Allen become a "lunch pale" guy?
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I always form an opinon on a player using multiple sources and whatever video I can get my hands on...

Here is a snippet from National Football Post...

Quote:
A thick, well built safety who looks the part, has a natural bubble and muscular upper body. Is very effective playing downhill inside the box and consistently gets early jumps on the ball, reads and reacts quickly and exhibits "plus" instincts as a run defender. Is routinely able to read the action quickly, close on the football and is a solid wrap-up tackler. Generates good power into contact working in pursuit, and once he gets his stride going, exhibits solid range off his frame and despite being a bit tight, he breaks down well on contact, using his strong upper body to wrap and runs his legs through contact. He understands angles, runs the alley well and routinely is able to wrap, even in the open field.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazed- wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Blazed- wrote:
KingTitan wrote:
Blazed- wrote:

My opinion? it's pretty much in every scouting report for every white guy.When did Allen become a "lunch pale" guy?

You not getting it so I'll leave it at this....
Guys that are football first and don't appear to ME to be selfish type players or flashy. Just do their job.... Leaders......

That is the type of player I feel Munchak and company are trying to get and to me Smith is one of those guys.
Ockham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deion Sanders picked him as the player of the day and commented favorably on his hips and movement.

I also like George Iloka from Boise St. he's 6'4" 225lbs. Plays CB and FS but if he puts on 15-20lbs could make a WLB with great coverage skills.

stallyns wrote:
Cortland Finnegan signs with the Rams, the division just got classier.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: