Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NHL General Thread v. 6.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is why I don't bother to watch, no way in hell did karlsson deserve it over weber.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
Eagles27

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
And that is why I don't bother to watch, no way in hell did karlsson deserve it over weber.

#JDI
footy_29

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he earned it, but I'm surprised Karlsson did win it. Karlsson was unbelievable for most of last season (I missed maybe 10 games in all). The Sens didn't have the players to open up lanes for him in the playoffs.

He is the offensive heart of the team, and while some cite his lack of hits as indication that he is a poor defender, his speed, stick use, technique and competitiveness make him a good defender. I love seeing Karlsson lose the puck so I can see the reaction. He looks like a young talented kid playing in a mens league and making them look foolish.
Goon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts about the show they put on? Matthew Perry's intro speech was great and all the Will Arnett skits were awesome. Laughing

About the actual awards,I don't think you can go wrong with any of them really....I mean people are upset about Karlsson winning but the guy had 25 points more than any other d-man and like it was said in the nominees video, that's the widest margin in 23 years. Of course, does he have the two-way game of Weber/Chara? hell no ...but it was a special season for a special player and that's what the votes are for...if not, just give Crosby/Malkin the Hart for the next 10 years and Datsyuk his Selke for the next 5.

Too bad Rinne didn't end up on the EA sports cover , I wanted a goaltender there badly

Props to NS922!
UFgators

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of random curiosity where would a prime/healthy Pavel Bure rank in today's game with current players? Top 3-5 behind Malkin and those guys? Thx.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFUJfqWqrk
redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFgators wrote:
Just out of random curiosity where would a prime/healthy Pavel Bure rank in today's game with current players? Top 3-5 behind Malkin and those guys? Thx.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFUJfqWqrk

Where Stamkos is, so definitely top 10.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hall is about to get a hell of a player and person in Joe Sakic.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayAreaBomber wrote:

Yep, this class is STACKED.

BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HHOF vote would be as follows: Sakic, Shannahan, Sundin, Lindros, and Bure.

Don't think the last 3 get in this year though.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only four male players get in per year, I think. I'd go Shanny, Sakic, Bure, and that's probably it. Sundin, Roenick and Naslund aren't first balloters (although Mats is one of my all time favorites), and Lindros and Oates are borderline.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayAreaBomber wrote:

Sakic is my all-time favorite non-Penguin player. I really enjoyed watching him play. Glad he was able to win a Cup during his great career.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
Only four male players get in per year, I think. I'd go Shanny, Sakic, Bure, and that's probably it. Sundin, Roenick and Naslund aren't first balloters (although Mats is one of my all time favorites), and Lindros and Oates are borderline.

1) I don't care about 1st ballot status. If you're a hall of famer, then you're a hall of famer (if that makes any sense).

2) How could you advocate for Bure but not Lindros? The 2 are in the same boat with injuries cutting their careers short, and while both deserve to get in IMO, Lindros was the better and more dominant player. The Big E ranks 19th in PPG, compared to 25th for the Russian Rocket, was the 4th fastest player to 300 points, 6th fastest to 600 points, and won more silverware- both the Hart and Ted Lindsay awards. More importantly, Lindros was arguably the best player in the game for a short period of time, and I'm not sure you can say that about Bure. Both have equally impressive international accolades for their respective countries too, with Lindros winning gold at every major tournament, earning a spot on the 1991 Canada Cup team as a 17 year old, and captaining Canada at the olympics.

While I can see the argument against both players being undeserving of the Hall, I'll remind them that both electrified audiences like few have ever done. Lindros arguably even changed the game as he is regarded as the first true big-man with the skill and finesse of a small forward. Should've, could've, would've are words often associated with these players, but they still had remarkable careers when looked at objectively and under a magnifying glass.

Plus, with Neely elected in the HHOF, these 2 are more than worthy.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I do think Lindros belongs in the Hall. I'm just not sure if he'll be in for a while. The HHOF uses character and sportsmanship as a parameter for induction, and I don't think they'll be too happy with the whole Bobby Clarke situation, and especially the way he denied the Nordiques. Bure may have been in the Russian mafia, but he never had severe character questions from a hockey standpoint. Bure is among the all time elite in both speed and natural goal scoring ability, and is already in the International hof. Both are in eventually. I don't know who is eligible next year for the first time, but I wouldn't doubt they're both in by 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm overlooking thing, but I can't help but to feel Bure was severely overrated.

He has amazing speed and hands, but how many highlights do you see where he's just pushing the puck ahead and outrunning guys?

Grabner tried this. It worked for one season. That's it.

Bure was amazingly fast, but the lack of skill and skating ability from guys 20 years ago and even more so before that are the reason he looked so dominant.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
Maybe I'm overlooking thing, but I can't help but to feel Bure was severely overrated.

He has amazing speed and hands, but how many highlights do you see where he's just pushing the puck ahead and outrunning guys?

Grabner tried this. It worked for one season. That's it.

Bure was amazingly fast, but the lack of skill and skating ability from guys 20 years ago and even more so before that are the reason he looked so dominant.

lol, well that certainly can't be a reason that you knock him. People don't say that about Bobby Orr. He was a sensational athlete in the NHL for his time. Comparing him to Grabner is insulting to Pavel Bure, he was one of the most pure finishers we've seen. Deserves a place in the HOF but like UofM, I think it'll be a few years before he or Lindros get in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: